Thread: Green fire hype

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I think that's unlikely. GC discussed the idea of BM Hunters on Twitter, saying if they did it they'd add a spec to do it; but then they'd have to add specs to all the other classes as well and in that respect it would just be easier to add a new class.
    Yep, and the day they add Demon Hunter, is the day i permanently switch my main.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    Yep, and the day they add Demon Hunter, is the day i permanently switch my main.
    There won't be any Demon Hunter apart from Demonology Warlock. They put all that effort revamping the class to increase popularity and then create another class that more than half Warlocks play their class for?

I think the same thing will happen if Blood stuff goes to Mages or Sha to priests, it will screw up Warlock popularity. Mainly because of the stimuli that get you to play the class. For example, the idea of the Dragon Age blood mage is surely something lots of people are familiar with and when these people get into WoW hear about Mages having a Blood spec or a blood spell arsenal, then the whole meaning about caster of forbidden arts will diminish from Warlocks.

Same thing goes for the Sha and the "Dark" theme like I posted before. Given that I would reroll if a future Shadowpriest revamp has wield Sha as their signature spells.

thing is, if you want to experience green fire, you pretty much have to play destruction. affliction ain't got no fire, demo has some. green fire really only gonna shine when playing destruction, though, and destruction is the worst spec right now, so we're really not gonna see that much of green fire, even if we completed the quest. buff destro!

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    Felmyst was also green >.>

Now, Here is something I guess I don't understand. When Green (bael) fire was announced and the quest line was mentioned... there was nothing but excitement for it. Didn't see a single negative thread regarding green fire.

Then Blizz delayed the release of the quest line (It was supposed to drop in 5.1 but was pulled "last minute" and people were outraged. Now, we have threads painting green fire in a potentially negative light. Not all of the posters in this thread, but a good deal of them...

What happened between then and now? Was it a matter of people not being aware of this happening? Are people holding it against Blizzard for not including this in the 5.1 patch? I'm just curious.
    The 5.1 quest was advertised only as that, as a "warlock quest", without anyone at blizzard explicitly saying it was related to green fire until after it was pulled. People speculated that it could be related to green fire, but there was no confirmation anywhere.

My personal opinion is people who don't want/don't care for green fire shouldn't worry about the quest, as it doesn't affect them at all and you will be able to see everything start to finish on youtube anyway.

I'm excited about this quest, and I think players that really appreciate the lore behind it (I mean REALLY appreciate it, and have been playing since WC3 where green fire was in every "fel" based spell) are looking forward to it.

Everything else I just chalk up to "people complain about anything" and don't worry too much about convincing someone why green fire is awesome, and regular fire should be the specialty of puny mages, not incredibly powerful warlocks.

dat green new new too bad i play affliction and only get to see it when i rush lul

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Finely the Legion's fires will be mine to control.

Quote Originally Posted by QualityKJ View Post
    dat green new new too bad i play affliction and only get to see it when i rush lul
    Omg, I wonder if it will give us ... Fel Rush ?! haha
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    There won't be any Demon Hunter apart from Demonology Warlock. They put all that effort revamping the class to increase popularity and then create another class that more than half Warlocks play their class for?
    a) I doubt half of the warlock playerbase plays demonology, let alone playing demonology in some pretense of it being a demon hunter
    b) The only demon hunter abilities we have are immolation aura and meta, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're REALLY trying to tell me we will never see demon hunters, despite them being the most request class addition to the game since the dawn of time, I'm astounded. You can't even roll a night elf warlock, for obvious reasons. Warlocks do not dual wield glaives and dodge around attacks, which is the iconic representation of a demon hunter. They're not a melee class. They don't (currently) have a sliver of lore akin to the demon hunter. They're so different.

There's about as much overlap between warlocks and demon hunters as there is between shamen and mages - because shaman shoot fire and ice too.

I doubt there are that many people that rolled a warlock to feel like a blood mage either, especially if they rolled it back in classic.

Until they give flat out demon pets to another class, warlocks will do fine. They weren't afraid to add DKs and Monks, and they certainly have plenty of crossover with other classes.
    Last edited by mmoc1571eb5575; 2013-01-19 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    a) I doubt half of the warlock playerbase plays demonology, let alone playing demonology in some pretense of it being a demon hunter
    b) The only demon hunter abilities we have are immolation aura and meta, correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're REALLY trying to tell me we will never see demon hunters, despite them being the most request class addition to the game since the dawn of time, I'm astounded. You can't even roll a night elf warlock, for obvious reasons. Warlocks do not dual wield glaives and dodge around attacks, which is the iconic representation of a demon hunter. They're not a melee class. They don't (currently) have a sliver of lore akin to the demon hunter. They're so different.

There's about as much overlap between warlocks and demon hunters as there is between shamen and mages - because shaman shoot fire and ice too.

I doubt there are that many people that rolled a warlock to feel like a blood mage either, especially if they rolled it back in classic.

Until they give flat out demon pets to another class, warlocks will do fine. They weren't afraid to add DKs and Monks, and they certainly have plenty of crossover with other classes.
    I used to play a lock as main but rolled another class as i felt i was putting more effort in for worse results (less DPS) also because the other class's were more appealing and just had more going for them.

If demon hunters came out i would see no reason anyone would choose a lock over one, Demon hunters sound badass and make locks sound like pussys. You would get loads of people re rolling from warlock to one, and locks are underplayed as it is. So not good! But they will add them i am sure they kind of have to add them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chaos View Post
    I used to play a lock as main but rolled another class as i felt i was putting more effort in for worse results (less DPS) also because the other class's were more appealing and just had more going for them.

If demon hunters came out i would see no reason anyone would choose a lock over one, Demon hunters sound badass and make locks sound like pussys. You would get loads of people re rolling from warlock to one, and locks are underplayed as it is. So not good! But they will add them i am sure they kind of have to add them.
    And I'm sure some people will, I doubt it will be a majority by any means.

Demon hunters share a miniscule amount of crossover from a lore standpoint, even less from a gameplay standpoint.

People who rolled a warlock as some poor mans demon hunter, great - they get the class they wanted.
    But I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't want to play some Illidan-inspired melee class with demonic infusion over their demon controlling caster that dots and burns people to death.

I'd certainly never choose a demon hunter over a warlock. A necromancer, maybe - but a demon hunter? Hell no. Baffles me how people can roll a warlock when they want to play a demon hunter - rogues always seemed more like a poor mans demon hunter to me, warlocks were a poor mans necromancer.

I prefer red fire to green fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Destruction has always been my favourite spec of all and it always will be, sadly destruction has not always had its rightful place as an amazing spec and hopefully that changes some day. Although it's not the best spec i still rock amazing dps in raids normally being in the top 5 beating out the other locks in my raid.(Sadly i am not sure how PvP is as a destro warlock so i can't complain about this)
    But green fire is something I've always wanted as a warlock, it never made sense that my flames were red since demonic magic fueled us that and my favourite color is green LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowygoodness View Post
    I'm just curious as to how many people are REALLY just ecstatic about this. I mean it's JUST a cosmetic effect. I see so many bad things in patch notes happening to warlocks in 5.2 that I just have a hard time swallowing green fire as our "ray of sunshine" as it were. It's also kind of like pouring salt in the wound too, since this cosmetic effect IN LARGE only pertains to Destro, and Destro is next to dead in PvE and only limping along in PvP (try getting a Chaos Bolt off in a teamfight against a 2k+ rbg team LOL....yeah right). I'm just really curious as to whether or not anybody is so hyped by green fire that they are able to look past everything else to come.

15+ Year Old Account
    Then you don't know Demon Hunters very well.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Demon_hunter..._and_abilities is the only "real" information about that and is also potentially non-cannon since it is only sourced through the RPG books.

Three of the Four abilities talked about are currently shared with warlocks.

1.Draining energy from demons (drain life, blood pact, sacrificial pact, soul link) to empower themselves. You could make a case that drain life doesn't just draw from demons but then would you want a restriction in a demon hunter? When so few demons actually exist?

2. Surrounding yourself in a shell of fire. Immolation Aura and Hellfire certainly fit this bill, though not every shell has to be equal and something like this could certainly be shared though it would be similar in function.

3. Metamorphosis. This is the real kicker and likely one of the reasons why we will never see Demon hunters. Why would they take a iconic ability of one spec of a class and give it as the main ability for another class? Blizzard could have added Demon Hunters at one point in time but choose with Warlock development to invalidate their role and abilities by putting most into the warlock class. Sure you could change the model to be slightly different but you can't make them very different and still have both convey the same intent and look.

The only one that warlocks can't currently do is empower their weapons with demonic energy. If you sit down and think about it Demon Hunters really only makes sense for a melee lock spec, or even a Warlock tank spec. Since a Demon Hunter would be a Leather or cloth class as they only wear light armor (or none at all). But if they were a separate class they would have to be leather to fit in the lore. And they would due better as leather if they are based off of agility.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-01-19 at 01:57 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Ultima View Post
    3) The Journey is the Reward. Frodo didn't get any horde of treasure at the end, Indiana Jones and his Grandfather returned from the Temple of the Grail empty handed (Crystal skull does not exist), Commander Shepard doesn't become Queen of Earth (sadly), and Warlocks are getting an epic questline* that at the end offer a constant reminder of that quest: Green Fire.
    I'm gonna have to stop you right there. Frodo could have just asked an Eagle for a ride to Mordor. They're never doing anything all that important, at least not important enough to stop what they're doing and help out the party whenever needed. So essentially, the journey became punishment, not any reward to anyone, because Frodo and everyone else is too damned lazy, stupid, or intimidated to ask a favor to save the world. Book should have been 10 pages, and movie 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Going to have to say no. Xelnath liked the idea, but I think if we look at how Demo DPS turned out we can be glad he didn't pull through with his plan to make Demo a tank spec only. Maybe one day in the distant future when we get a 4th spec, but not now, and certainly not halfway through an expansion.
    I didn't say at 5.2, but seems like there is a great more story to go, or at least at one point planned, and perhaps now that we have these warlock elders stirring trouble up, and with the positive reception of lock tanking in the beta, perhaps next expansion? Who knows! Seems a waste to use all of this lore and intrigue just to recolor some flames.
    Last edited by Medieve; 2013-01-19 at 07:23 PM.
    After being Medieve the Uberpally for many years, finally shelved in favor of Belledanna, the Uberlock!!! (patent pending)

-Unretired as of the launch of 6.0! Currently guild shopping. Need a good Warlock? I need a good home!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Demon_hunter..._and_abilities is the only "real" information about that and is also potentially non-cannon since it is only sourced through the RPG books..
    http://classic.battle.net/war3/night...onhunter.shtml

I've always thought of them as that.

If "Draining energy from demons" equates to drain life, then surely it also equates to Mana burn - since that was the actual representation of it back in W3 - do demon hunters share overlap with shadowpriests now?

Immolation aura I've already mentioned as being one of the few things they do share, likewise with meta.

They fight in melee - which warlocks do not.
    They swing giant glaives around in melee - which warlocks do not.
    They infuse their weapons with demonic energy - which warlocks do not.
    They dismiss heavy armor in favor of madsick dodging skills - which warlocks do not.
    Their motivation for going down the path of the demon hunter is a selfless sacrifice, no the selfish ambition most warlocks are depicted as being motivated by.
    They gauge out their eyes and trap a demonic essence in their body to gain demonic sight - warlocks do not.
    Their archetypical image is that of a night elf - something that I'm fairly sure we'll never see able to roll as a warlock. "The tradition of the demon hunter arises from night elf history, and almost all demon hunters are night elves."

And, a quote from the page you listed "The demon hunter can drain a demon’s energy to fuel their own powers. They mainly use arcane and fire energy. Shadow energy is rare."

All of those distinguish it very heavily from a warlock, I find it bizzare that you can put a warlock and a demon hunter next to each other and not see as much of a difference as a warrior and rogue "who both stab things".

Do I really not know demon hunters that well, I seem to be able to distinguish them from a vastly different archetype, other people seem to be struggling, to my amazement. There's as much to distinguish them as a separate class as there is many other classes we currently have, I find it hard to believe ANYONE think blizzard would be stupid enough to try and shoehorn them into the warlock class, even from a gameplay point of view, let alone lore and flat out backlash from the community having a heavily requested addition to the game given to them in such a lackluster form.

15+ Year Old Account
    If "Draining energy from demons" equates to drain life, then surely it also equates to Mana burn - since that was the actual representation of it back in W3 - do demon hunters share overlap with shadowpriests now?
    No, but warlocks used to have Drain mana. It was removed from the game due to being irrelevant. (http://www.wowpedia.org/Drain_Mana) I didn't bring it up because it is no longer in the game since it was removed in Cataclysm even if it saw almost no use before then. Also for the record Mana Burn is no longer in the game.

They swing giant glaives around in melee - which warlocks do not.
    There weapon is irrelevant because as a class in WoW they would be using any weapon and not just glaive models. Yes they are a melee class that still doesn't mean that many of their abilities are shared with warlocks and their stuff would essentially be a copy of warlock things but spell replaced with melee ability.

They dismiss heavy armor in favor of madsick dodging skills - which warlocks do not.
    Warlocks don't use heavy armor unless you consider cloth to be heavy.

They gauge out their eyes and trap a demonic essence in their body to gain demonic sight - warlocks do not.
    Warlocks had this ability until it was removed in Cataclysm (http://www.wowpedia.org/Sense_Demon) but didn't have to remove eyes and blindfold themselves in order to sense and find demons. We can do that with normal spells.

And, a quote from the page you listed "The demon hunter can drain a demon’s energy to fuel their own powers. They mainly use arcane and fire energy. Shadow energy is rare."
    Warlocks use Arcane and Fire energy as well as Shadow. No one is doubting that there are lore differences between a Demon Hunter and a Warlock. What people always say is that there would be very little game difference between a Demon Hunter and a warlock because almost all of the Demon Hunter abilities have been given to the Warlock class. The only thing they haven't been given were Melee dps.

Half of the established Demon Hunter are already given to warlocks, or have been given to warlocks. Some wouldn't work in today's game (drain mana, sense undead and demons) and the other half haven't been given to the Warlock class because Warlocks are a ranged caster and not a melee class. I really don't see a distinct class with three specializations without any of them stealing things already the domain of warlocks.

Metamorphosis is THE definitive ability of Demonology warlocks in today's game. How would you justify taking that and giving it to Demon Hunters? Demon Hunters as a class might have worked if added to the game early on but not anymore.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-01-20 at 04:31 AM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks fight in a fundamentally different way to Demon Hunters and have a diametrically opposed outlook to them, largely thanks to a completely different heritage. It's like comparing a Shadow Priest to a Death Knight and saying they're similar because they both use Shadow, Frost and Plagues.

15+ Year Old Account
    Warlocks fight in a fundamentally different way to Demon Hunters and have a diametrically opposed outlook to them, largely thanks to a completely different heritage. It's like comparing a Shadow Priest to a Death Knight and saying they're similar because they both use Shadow, Frost and Plagues.
    From a lore standpoint yes. But not from a ability and mechanic stand point. What is diametrically different about a demon hunter using the Metamorphosis ability and a Warlock using the Metamorphosis ability? Just because something is different in lore doesn't mean it makes sense for the game.

You can call a difference when a class is already using some of iconic abilities of a class that only exists in lore. It wouldn't work game play wise for the same reason why making Monks use 50% of druid abilities wouldn't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    From a lore standpoint yes. But not from a ability and mechanic stand point. What is diametrically different about a demon hunter using Metamorphosis and a Warlock using Metamorphosis? Just because something is different in lore doesn't mean it makes sense for the game.
    The manner in which they use it. We don't use it to jump into melee to fight with melee weapons.

15+ Year Old Account
    The manner in which they use it. We don't use it to jump into melee to fight with melee weapons.
    We used to though. Blizzard did try out the idea of Demonology warlocks being a melee spell caster though we never used actual melee weapons as the basis of our damage. (http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/04/13/gh...rlocks-in-mop/).

However can you tell me what the difference is between a Demon Hunter using Immolation during Metamorphosis and a Warlock using Immolation (aura) during Metamorphosis? Both are required to be in melee, both are using spells, both are using the same spells. Would you honestly be satisfied with another class getting a simple recolor of your ability? Or your own class (warlock) having their ability recolored?

Since you know demon hunters were the first to use the purple demon form Warlocks now use. This is why from a lore standpoint of course both can exist at the same time. But from a game play standpoint they can't because core demon hunter abilities were given to the Warlock class and used as iconic class/spec defining abilities of the Warlock class.