Control Undead Trick in Scarlet Monastery Challenge Mode

I was wondering if anyone could clear up some things in my head as to how this "trick" is performed. If you consider it cheap and don't want to respond or want to tell me I'm bad for wanting to learn it, I'll understand.

Anyway, My group and I will be attempting this gold challenge rather soon and from what I understand is that you pull both side groups with the 1st boss and group them up. Your DPS then AEs till the buff the adds get roots them. At this point I should have the boss pulled out of the group (I'm tanking btw). At what point do I Control undead on one of the adds? I would have to wait till most of them are dead right? Otherwise the one I control will be insta-gibbed by the surrounding adds. Are there any good vids of this being performed?

The only thing I controlled there was the big Dark transformation like ghoul during the encounter.
    /shrug

It takes to long time for the mobs to get the buff so it's not worth it for gold.

You don't control them. It's a waste of time.

Control the big zombies that spawn during the encounter, they hit hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fungj View Post
    It takes to long time for the mobs to get the buff so it's not worth it for gold.
    I've had one of the ghosts do twice as much damage to the boss as the whole group combined. I'm pretty sure that's worth it.

Anyway, the ghosts gain stacks when they take damage, dots that tick quickly and do little damage are the best way to get stacks quickly. How many stacks you can get will depend on your comp. I wasn't tanking, so I just gripped the ghost I wanted out of the pack, dotted it up and waited with control undead until it was pretty low. I also had an affliction lock dotting it.

as a tank it was alot harder for me to pull off

Quote Originally Posted by Gangstagore View Post
    as a tank it was alot harder for me to pull off
    I have been doing this for quite some long time with my groups both as tank and dps, And Its so fucking OP its rofl. The tick easy gets to 150k every 2de sec, which is higher than most dps in the group and its really easy to controll aswell.

someone who says its not worth it, is a retard

Quote Originally Posted by Shiira View Post
    I've had one of the ghosts do twice as much damage to the boss as the whole group combined. I'm pretty sure that's worth it.

Anyway, the ghosts gain stacks when they take damage, dots that tick quickly and do little damage are the best way to get stacks quickly. How many stacks you can get will depend on your comp. I wasn't tanking, so I just gripped the ghost I wanted out of the pack, dotted it up and waited with control undead until it was pretty low. I also had an affliction lock dotting it.
    So we went in the other day and tried this. It took me 1 or 2 pulls to get it but yeah, it's totally worth it. The boss just melts once the spirit is on it. I would say that this strat saves you a good 30-45 seconds on the timer.

I can't believe I forgot that we could death grip one out of the pack and near the boss. Worked like a charm. Thanks for the help.

Deleted
    I'm not sure how they do it but I think those who have the world best time on Scarlet Monestary keeps the ghost with them as they progress through the instance.
    Haven't started working on it since we're busy with raiding after getting all gold but I'm sure there are tons of diffrent ways you can use (abuse) the ghost here

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orenstein View Post
    I'm not sure how they do it but I think those who have the world best time on Scarlet Monestary keeps the ghost with them as they progress through the instance.
    Haven't started working on it since we're busy with raiding after getting all gold but I'm sure there are tons of diffrent ways you can use (abuse) the ghost here
    The mob loses the speed reducing buff after a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    The mob loses the speed reducing buff after a while
    It loses the debuff after it exits combat, from what I've seen.

If you don't control it well, however, it'll get roflpwned by Korloff's AOE.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Yeah it loses the debuff but you can restack it on the mob.
    I dunno if this is how people do it. I however saw a video of someone soloing the whole instance and used the minion through the entire thing.
    There should however be some tricks you can do with it. I'm thinking about leaving it outside the first buildning (with the pack you have to kill before you invis) line of sight them and have them run through and get killed by the ghost.
    As I've said I have only used the ghost on the first boss when we got our gold but I'm sure there are plenty of things you can do

Groups that clear Scarlet Monastery in <9m all take advantage of Control Undead to varying degrees. I won't bother explaining how it's done exactly, as you can find the information online on youtube and some twitch channels, but it's definitely something that needs to change. It turns the instance into a stupid tower defense that has nothing to do with every other challenge.

I don't have a grip with players doing this, but it needs to go.
    Last edited by Harmonium; 2013-01-17 at 01:35 AM.