Poll: High Elves: Do you want them?

Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Too bad he is right, many high elves used artifacts to sate their hunger. They simply refused to draw it from living beings.

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=10028
    No, you're still wrong. In regards to racials, they wouldn't use the torrent racials (Literally drawing magic from LIVING BEINGS to sate their addiction)

I think anyone "living with" and constantly trying to feed their thirst would live much much differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    No, you're still wrong. In regards to racials, they wouldn't use the torrent racials (Literally drawing magic from LIVING BEINGS to sate their addiction)

I think anyone "living with" and constantly trying to feed their thirst would live much much differently.
    They could have something akin to will of the forsaken,tied to magic, but otherwise they should have the same racials.

Deleted
    Yes, Alliance High Elves would be great. Technically it's almost the same as Blood Elves, but I reckon they would have a different starting area. But playing a blue-eyed High Elf on Alliance side generally feels a bit different than playing a green-eyed Blood Elf on Horde side. I guess it's mostly because of roleplay reasons. Anyone, who doesn't care much about the setting and atmosphere of the game won't really understand it anyway.

They could have something akin to will of the forsaken,tied to magic, but otherwise they should have the same racials.
    Maybe the Magic Resist, or the Enchanting bonus. But by no means would they have torrent. (You yourself stated they refuse to draw magic from living beings, which is the only point of that ability)

Deleted
    Maybe the Magic Resist, or the Enchanting bonus. But by no means would they have torrent. (You yourself stated they refuse to draw magic from living beings, which is the only point of that ability)
    No, you don't need anything to be near you when using that ability, it will still give 6% mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Unlike blood elves who succumb to it, high elves actively fight their addiction and are required to meditate at least an hour every day to maintain personal control. The high elves are not proud of this addiction, and take pains to keep it a secret. "

Except that little section makes you wrong.
    How exactly? He claimed that High Elves don't have an addiction to magic, and that made them somehow distinct. They do indeed have an addiction to magic, the only difference between the two being that blood elves draw from outside sources to sate that addiction while high elves do not. And even that is a non issue since the cleansing of the sunwell. So how exactly am I wrong? Wrong in that high elves would have different racials? On what grounds?
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Yeah I did overread the exact "same racials" thing (shame on me^^), though both races shouldn't be fundamentally different. Maybe instead of Arcane torrent they could use a little artifact, which has the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    How exactly? He claimed that High Elves don't have an addiction to magic, and that made them somehow distinct. They do indeed have an addiction to magic, the only difference between the two being that blood elves draw from outside sources to sate that addiction while high elves do not. And even that is a non issue since the cleansing of the sunwell. So how exactly am I wrong? Wrong in that high elves would have different racials? On what grounds?
    This was in regards to the racials. They would not have torrent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would we need 3 kinds of elves?

Deleted
    Yeah I did overread the exact "same racials" thing (shame on me^^), though both races shouldn't be fundamentally different.
    In a game where Forsaken can be Holy Priests, an identical Elf racial has the smallest impact on "realism".

10+ Year Old Account
    I want the high elves into the game because i've been waiting for it since the game was launched. Being an old school warcraft fanboy i dont feel like the alliance is complete without them.

yea i know, nostalgia is not a good reason for adding them and its not the end of the world if they dont, its just something i feel would be nice.
    Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong.

Yeah I did overread the exact "same racials" thing (shame on me^^), though both races shouldn't be fundamentally different. Maybe instead of Arcane torrent they could use a little artifact, which has the same effect.
    Well thats really up to Blizzard, as they could easily be very different. Philosophically, BE's couldn't sate their addiction anymore ( many became wretched) some went to Throught the Dark Portal for extensive time, Horde life versus Alliance life...

This game is not complete until we can play as some sort of insect or arachnid. I would immediately reroll if Nerubian became an option.

15+ Year Old Account
    So Lore wise - makes sense.

Numbers wise - Do we even need to dispute this with how low the Darkspear trolls are? Or Gnomes even?

Looks - they could certainly look different, over a long period of time, and radically different life experiences after the schism.

Easily added with Dalaran becoming an Alliance city.
    long period of time? excuse me?

It's been less than 15 years since the battle of mt. Hyjal against Archimonde. 15 years for a race that can live upwards of 2500 years is nothing.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    In a game where Forsaken can be Holy Priests, an identical Elf racial has the smallest impact on "realism".
    This is in no way an argument proving they would in fact have the same racials.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    long period of time? excuse me?

It's been less than 15 years since the battle of mt. Hyjal against Archimonde. 15 years for a race that can live upwards of 2500 years is nothing.
    According to the wiki, its 250 years or so, not sure wher eyou are getting those facts...

10+ Year Old Account

High elven disdain for the use of arcane torrent is based solely on a moral imperative against using someone else's life to prolong theirs, the magic "vampire" idea. Since the cleansing of the sunwell neither groups really has to resort to this tactic to survive, instead it has become a simple defensive tactic.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

I vote no. We have enough elves already.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokor View Post
    Seriously, do you? And why?
    Yes. Why not?

Even with an updated set of player models, they would only be Blood Elves with blue eyes (assuming Blizzard wouldn't create two separate models for what is essentially the same race).
    They wouldn't. Nor would they have to. Nor should they.

I understand that some people might want to RP as one on the Alliance side but historically the WOW RP community isn't a large group at all.
    I like the model. I like the story.
    and
    I don't like the Horde. All my alts are Alliance.

It's not just RP.

Most people choose their characters based on looks which trumps lore considerations (unless you're a lore fan). I can't envisage a high enough number of players taking advantage of implementing the idea to make it worth it. Of course I could be wrong.
    The "cost", such as it is, is adding a new icon to the start screen and deciding which area they start in. It can be more elaborate than this.

Adding them would be less work than making a new race and Blizzard have already taken a step towards unnecessary homogenization of the factions with Panda's. There need to be boundaries in an MMO, clear cut differences and giving both sides the same set of races is detrimental to the gaming experience. I fully expect others to disagree with me here.
    For good or ill, the change is made. I'm not personally convinced a neutral race such as Pandaren is warranted, nor am I yet convinced it has been fully successful. I don't, personally, think Blizzard sold their integration into the Horde that well but then, as you say, many don't care that much about lore.

It just seems to me that this is very vocal minority of players trying to force the game to take a certain direction.
    Which is nonsense. HElfs are already part of the lore and making them play won't change that one bit, nor alter the games story. Making them playable will simply allow Alliance players to take part in that story....which is another aspect of the Alliances story Alliance players are locked out from.

From Blizzard pov, the hardest part would be deciding which Alliance race to give to the Horde.

EJL

Deleted
    This is in no way an argument proving they would in fact have the same racials.
    No, but they should. There's no reason to demand more resources to be invested where it is completely unnecessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    if alliance get highelfs i want *looks at the available alliance races* umm...worgen i guess...that seems to be the only race that doesn't totally suck on alliance side >.<