Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    Deleted

Mars colonists wanted

http://www.space.com/19174-mars-one-...ts-wanted.html

" If you think you have the right stuff to help colonize Mars, you'll soon get your chance to prove it.

The Netherlands-based nonprofit Mars One, which hopes to put the first boots on the Red Planet in 2023, released its basic astronaut requirements today (Jan. 8), setting the stage for a televised global selection process that will begin later this year.

Mars One isn't zeroing in on scientists or former fighter pilots; anyone who is at least 18 years old can apply to become a Mars colony pioneer. The most important criteria, officials say, are intelligence, good mental and physical health and dedication to the project, as astronauts will undergo eight years of training before launch.

"Gone are the days when bravery and the number of hours flying a supersonic jet were the top criteria," Norbert Kraft, Mars One's chief medical director and a former NASA researcher, said in a statement. "Now, we are more concerned with how well each astronaut works and lives with the others, in the long journey from Earth to Mars and for a lifetime of challenges ahead."

The organization will fund most of its ambitious activities by staging a global reality-TV event that follows the colonization effort from astronaut selection through the settlers' first years on Mars.

Mars One, which transitioned from a private company to a nonprofit late last year, has already received a number of inquiries from prospective colonists, officials said.

"Well before the official Astronaut Selection Program, we received more than 1,000 emails from individuals who desire to go to Mars," Suzanne Flinkenflögel, Mars One's communications director, said in a statement. "We are working hard to launch our selection campaign as soon as possible, to open the doors to everyone who aspires to do something tremendous in their lifetime."

Final astronaut candidates will be selected after review by Mars One experts and a global TV event. Those chosen will be employed by Mars One during their Earth-based training and for the length of their time on the Red Planet, officials said.

To learn more about the selection process, go to www.thenextgiantleap.com."

Deleted
    My, my. I'd love to apply to this but I doubt I would ever get accepted because of my disease.

Can't wait for 2023, when this happens!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sweet mother of god. That is an awesome step for man-kind. Commercializing the process is a brilliant way to pay for it too. Unfortunately, it reminds me of a quote from Fight Club. "When deep space exploration ramps up it'll be the corporations that name everything: The IBM Stellar Sphere, the Microsoft Galaxy, Planet Starbucks."

It would be awesome to go with my wife and baby But, I would worry too much about the health of our child - what if he got sick? That would be devastating.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    My, my. I'd love to apply to this but I doubt I would ever get accepted because of my disease.
    I hear ya, the greatest disappointment of my life lol. I couldn't even join the military with my medical status but at least I can dream.

Deleted
    Still don't like the idea of turning the first planet for man to colonize into a reality show. This is the only time when I say fuck corporations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    It would be awesome to go with my wife and baby But, I would worry too much about the health of our child - what if he got sick? That would be devastating.
    One of the reasons only people with an age higher than 17 are allowed. :/

But for good reasons, which is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Still don't like the idea of turning the first planet for man to colonize into a reality show. This is the only time when I say fuck corporations.
    Yeah, I guess that'd be shitty.

Deleted
    Hmm, that sounds really bogus. Reminds me of a reality tv show, Space Cadets, that duped people into thinking they were on a real space shuttle mission. The participants on the show never realized they were being fooled, they were a bit simple I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cadets_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wj...E&noredirect=1

15+ Year Old Account
    while generic colonists could be aquired this way - if its popular people wont bitch about the funding like they did the the rover (because it was a huge amount in comparison to the US military spendings last year...)

but surely they'll still need to send people to fulfil all of the job roles out there? namely doctors and surgeons and stuff?

I can see it being very military based in its organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Korbany View Post
    Hmm, that sounds really bogus. Reminds me of a reality tv show, Space Cadets, that duped people into thinking they were on a real space shuttle mission. The participants on the show never realized they were being fooled, they were a bit simple I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Cadets_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34wj...E&noredirect=1
    Yeah, though this is actually true (whether it'll happen is a completely different thing, of course).

There is a major drawback, though: There'll be no coming back.

I wouldn't meet the criteria either, what with my worn down joints and mental issues... But I honestly am not interested in spending the rest of my life on a red rock. I wish all the best to those who would, of course... Without them, we'll never colonize anything. But I'm also interested in the mental stability of those who would leave their whole lives (including technological conveniences like books and games) behind to live on a planet that doesn't support life. They'll be confined to really small spaces, only going out of their bubbles every so often.
    Well; it's just not for me, let's put it that way.

Deleted
    That sounds awesome! We're actually going to colonize Mars?! I can't believe it O_o

Imagine if we'll have a town up and running on another planet in our lifetimes...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatureDrake View Post
    That sounds awesome! We're actually going to colonize Mars?! I can't believe it O_o

Imagine if we'll have a town up and running on another planet in our lifetimes...
    I think this is prolly going to be the most exciting event in all of our Life Times. I kinda wanna try to jump in line asap to be at the launch. That will be an irreplaceable experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone else read this as "The first people to Mars might die horrible deaths, so we don't want to send the qualified people yet. So Apply!!" lol

Kidding aside, pretty cool!

I'm doubtful. They have a lot to do in less than 10 years. Also, they are banking on making $10 Billion from media attention to fund their project. Either way, I wouldn't sign up. It's a 1-way trip, there is no coming back to earth. What if they can't get the funding for another trip? Then you are stuck to die on mars. And you are stuck with the same 3 people for 2 years. I wish them the best though. If they can get the stars to align, it would be a great achievement for mankind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the two people I go with are Jessica Alba and Scarlet Johanson, then i would be more than happy to spend the last of my days on mars.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Before you poo-poo the idea too much, keep in mind that this isn't going to be "reality TV" like the trash we have been used to for the past 15 years. Current reality TV is FAR FAR FAR from actual reality; it's scripted and competition based crap that is more of a game show than anything else.

This Mars One reality TV show would be actual reality; think Big Brother but without the contrived conflict. They actually want to train these people. Don't count on this "reality TV" show to be all that entertaining. "Brittney stole Ashley's conditioner, now watch Ashley scream at Brittney out by the hot tub!" No. It's "Watch the 20 candidates go to school to learn survival skills and train. Repeat for 8 years." They might be able to get enough footage to boil down into 20 1-hour episodes, but it's not going to be a bunch of Head of Household, Voted off the Island, make you eat bugs or stick your hand in a box of scorpions, all while living at the beach and working in a t-shirt shop... type of reality TV.
    Last edited by Porcell; 2013-01-09 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    someone tell farnsworth

now u can leave the planet

i wont sign up. i know i dont have the stomach for it

It's not going to happen. Mars is a dead world.

Earth has many regions which we we could colonise. The deserts, the Antarctic and the sea. Not saying it can be done now, but with technology it can in the future. In fact it's the next logical step surely? We become overcrowded yet the world has a lot of space in regions we can't easily colonise. It needs to be solved and colonising the whole of earth is surely the answer before we move to another world.

However inhospitable you think the Antarctic is or the deep sea or a burning desert, Mars is 100x worse.

Lets learn to walk before we can run.

Deleted
    Holy crap, I'd apply in a heartbeat if I was healthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    It's not going to happen. Mars is a dead world.
    It's called colonizing for a reason, no?

Also, our deserts are "dead" too, so we shouldn't colonize them either, following your logic.

And I disagree that we should colonize the entire planet Earth. I don't think it's really needed, and at this point, going to space or to colonize "new" worlds seems more important/big.