Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Actions taken against botting

** Addressing the Bots **

While we were out for the holidays, there was a marked rise in both fishing and onslaught farming bots. We know that the vast majority of you are responsible, upstanding, and incredibly attractive Telaran citizens, but we do need to take a moment to remind everyone that automating play is a violation of the terms of service that will be acted upon.

As of today, we’ve already shut down a few thousand accounts over the recent rise in fishing botting, and we’ve begun removing gains from others in places of extreme bot use. A good number of these botters were brought in, as is often the case, on stolen credit cards and fraudulent Rift purchases.

That said, some folks do innocently use keyboard-assistance software while they’re at their computer. We’ve gone out of our way to make sure that differently-abled gamers are able to use the assist software that they need.

Unfortunately, for the next week or two, until the bot situation gets back under control, use of this software may intentionally be randomly unreliable, up to causing random disconnects. We ask that you please refrain from using keyboard automation software in the meanwhile.

For those who have no choice but to use this software due to a physical disability, we would like to make sure you’re still able to play. Drop a ticket to our CS staff if this temporary change does prevent you from playing entirely and we’ll see what we can do to remedy the situation for you.

As for onslaught botting, that will be handled via a more creative content solution that is currently in development, in a coming hotfix.

Once that solution is out in the wild, we’ll look into restoring standard functionality of assistance software.

Thanks for your reports and your patience!

- The RIFT Development Team
    I was just saying that the onslaught bots were borderline exploiting...
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The onslaught bots - were automatically farming onslaughts for IS and planarite and whatever? Then there is nothing borderline about it - it's an exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    The onslaught bots - were automatically farming onslaughts for IS and planarite and whatever? Then there is nothing borderline about it - it's an exploit.
    Well, yeah. Also, afking to 60.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    And leveling up. I seen low level characters who weren't actually botting who just ran healing specs at level 13 in Ashora to level up. Level restrictions should fix that pretty quick I think they did that back when they released the Ember Isle zone when people ran low lvl toons there.

Deleted
    so excited to see this love it when gaming companies take action against bots >_>

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 05:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    And leveling up. I seen low level characters who weren't actually botting who just ran healing specs at level 13 in Ashora to level up. Level restrictions should fix that pretty quick I think they did that back when they released the Ember Isle zone when people ran low lvl toons there.
    My new cleric main was levld with the onslaught bots, i took her to ciy core at level 37, and raid healed. got to 50 then left to level cape jule, Shorr the resident troll on icewatch ported me there, he is a nice guy really, known him to be on icewatch since like forever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    About freaking time.
    True dat true dat. ^_^

YES!!! I really hope the FUCKING FISHING BOTS DIE!!
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiya View Post
    YES!!! I really hope the FUCKING FISHING BOTS DIE!!
    Kill Kill Die Die Ling Ling Into Battle GO!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Well, yeah. Also, afking to 60.
    AFK'n to 60 is not the problem because you only get like 300xp per kill and need 3mil + from 50-60, so yeah not very efficient. The problem is the lag it is causing in Ashora by millions of commands having to be processed from these bots

That entire Arjuros area is a clusterfuck of lag with maybe 15 bots there.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Topic already active in this thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post19756281
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I am soooooo happy Trion is doing something about the BoTs! Just reason #1,837 why I love giving Trion $14.99/month.
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion, however... the leveling of fishing is a bit crazy slow. Heck, I was even playing with a script so that I could just a one button click to fish. Technically not botting as I was watching the screen all the time, but just clicking a button. Still only level 140 something on fishing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    In my opinion, however... the leveling of fishing is a bit crazy slow. Heck, I was even playing with a script so that I could just a one button click to fish. Technically not botting as I was watching the screen all the time, but just clicking a button. Still only level 140 something on fishing.
    Look for pools of "clever fish" almost one skill point per cast.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    Technically not botting as I was watching the screen all the time, but just clicking a button. Still only level 140 something on fishing.
    Sorry friend, this might as well be botting unless you are a disabled gamer. Having to push one button doesn't really make a difference. As it is, the process only requires you to push the button when you hear a noise so you don't have to look at the screen anyways. I'm not trying to attack you, but I've never understood this mentality.

I understand people wanting to make something they feel mundane easier to accomplish, but to me that's exactly what abusing the game is. Unless of course scripting like you do is not against their TOS in any way and then it's their fault, even though I don't like it.

I saw several bots last night. So whatever they did, it wasn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Sorry friend, this might as well be botting unless you are a disabled gamer. Having to push one button doesn't really make a difference. As it is, the process only requires you to push the button when you hear a noise so you don't have to look at the screen anyways. I'm not trying to attack you, but I've never understood this mentality.

I understand people wanting to make something they feel mundane easier to accomplish, but to me that's exactly what abusing the game is. Unless of course scripting like you do is not against their TOS in any way and then it's their fault, even though I don't like it.

I saw several bots last night. So whatever they did, it wasn't enough.
    I agree with this. When fishing first came out I would fish while watching a movie on my second monitor. Did not need a script or anything to do such, and mostly only used one button, except when I had to re-apply a lure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this. When fishing first came out I would fish while watching a movie on my second monitor. Did not need a script or anything to do such, and mostly only used one button, except when I had to re-apply a lure.
    I'm just afraid the prevalence of it in this game will force them to make fishing less convenient for players doing it the 'right' way. WoW's fishing is terrible because you have to click on the spot your lure goes and you can't control it, so you have to watch almost 100% of the time.

Rift, from a user interface perspective, is ideal for fishing. You don't have to constantly stare at nothing to do the actions required. I'm glad they are looking for alternate solutions rather than making the actual interface cumbersome on the user, but it's allowing people a lot more time and ways to abuse the system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    . They'll fish for rep still, but they can't do it in a day.
    Yeah but this is a concerning solution that affects people who don't do anything wrong. I severely dislike when a solution to stop someone from abusing a system affects everyone else.

Unless I'm mistaking this, it means I can't go out and fish for an entire day to get my rep up if I wanted, b/c I will still have to hand them in each day. I admit this isn't drastic, since I can still get the fish in one day, but this is very annoying as someone following the rules since it doesn't seem to actually stop the bots, just slow them down from getting the rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    Yeah but this is a concerning solution that affects people who don't do anything wrong. I severely dislike when a solution to stop someone from abusing a system affects everyone else.

Unless I'm mistaking this, it means I can't go out and fish for an entire day to get my rep up if I wanted, b/c I will still have to hand them in each day. I admit this isn't drastic, since I can still get the fish in one day, but this is very annoying as someone following the rules since it doesn't seem to actually stop the bots, just slow them down from getting the rep.
    At this point the bots have the rep, have had it for about a month. What they are gaining now is selling the fish to people who want to buy them for rep. Unless of course they took rep/fish away from the botters.

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point the bots have the rep, have had it for about a month. What they are gaining now is selling the fish to people who want to buy them for rep. Unless of course they took rep/fish away from the botters.
    Possibly. I'm not sure this would reduce their potential customers...but maybe more people will be inclined to fish a little each day instead of the prospect of spending a whole weekend fishing vs buying bot fish.

All we can is report everyone we see until they can sever the root of the systemic disease. To anyone who gets banned on Deepwood from using a fishing bot, you're welcome.