Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    (I actually submitted a bug report AND tweet about it)
    =============
    Regardless what the white knights, a simple disconnect is NOT an extreme case. People have done far worse in this game and get 3 hour bans. I would even take a 72hr ban for causing a disconnect to myself. But permanent closure? gimmme a break
    I'm sorry to hear that - I do agree that a permanent is pretty harsh since you didn't gain anything with it and reported it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    If you knew the punishment for peeing on the street was three years in jail, then no. You suffer the consequences of your actions, which is something that many people seem unable to do.
    According to Blizzard's own terms, it doesn't seem like using a bug just to DC yourself is enough for a permanent ban. And my reply was towards the overly simplified attitude of "if u do anything forbidden, you deserve whatever punishment is given, case closed", which can be pretty dangerous attitude IRL. Besides blindly banning everyone who have done something suspicious, without further investigation, gives just false sense of security. Those people who abused it the worst will be affected the least cause they made enough money to (illegally) buy several new accounts and just continue.

I might in some level understand that based on the large number of people triggering the bug, and limited resources of Blizzard, could be used to justify wide perma bans, IMO they should focus more resources on stopping the real abusers than making sure nobody got "too harsh" penalty. BUT saying that people who only tested the bug without any gain deserve the same as those who actually exploited it, is just ignorant and missing the real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    No, some players actually know how to act in a social setting and have at least perused over the ToS well enough to know what not to do. Stop assuming everyone plays with their time invested characters as haphazardly as you.
    Yes some, but the point is that I've seen a lot of (minor or major) infractions happening in the game and only a tiny part of those gets a perma ban, most don't get anything. Oh and I don't believe that the majority of players have ever read even half of the ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    If I read correctly on certain exploiter website this dupe method wasn't just DCing yourself, it was involving a lot of steps that had to be done in very specific order to work.
    And if anyone got caught doing this - there is almost 0 chance of a person performing THIS EXACT SEQUENCE without intent. It's like one in a billion. So low it's irrelevant.
    So if they ran a script that caught people doing this - they KNEW bout this methid and tried it intentionally. Scale doesnt actually matter - when you rob a bank with a gun, you rob a bank with a gun, taking 1 dollar or a million doesn't matter

Account closures for someone who only tried this without any monetary gain is bit harsh but it's a deterrent for others.
    If I knew that I'll only get 72h ban for botting/duping for my first offense - i'd abused the shit out of it, exploit out millions of gold, got banned for 3 days and be set.
    Game would be garbage if such system existed.
    The exploit may well have many steps and the chance of accidentally discovering it is minimal. However there will be people that have tried it because their friend has told them that by repeating the sequence they will be disconnected, upon being disconnected they log back on and have a good laugh with their friend without any gain of any sort.

Hmm, your analogy is up there but I still think the interstellar war scenario is out in front.

I doubt Blizzard would ban you for 72 hours and let you keep the gold you gained from an exploit.

ITT: Jaded assholes who take wow way too seriously.

If I read correctly on certain exploiter website this dupe method wasn't just DCing yourself, it was involving a lot of steps that had to be done in very specific order to work.
    And if anyone got caught doing this - there is almost 0 chance of a person performing THIS EXACT SEQUENCE without intent. It's like one in a billion. So low it's irrelevant.
    So if they ran a script that caught people doing this - they KNEW bout this methid and tried it intentionally. Scale doesnt actually matter - when you rob a bank with a gun, you rob a bank with a gun, taking 1 dollar or a million doesn't matter
    If the bug is used just to DC you, it doesn't dupe anything, you need a longer sequence of actions to actually exploit it to make a dupe. And if you compare it to a bank robbery, it would be more like doing it without a gun, through an open backdoor, in which case taking just 1 dollar or a million would give a different punishment afaik.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    AND i am an inscriptionist.
    Ban deserved just for this. You were a Scribe, not a "inscriptionist".

You SHOULD have reported of the issue the instant you had the "rollback". Instead you kept it to yourself and decided to be silent and not report it asap and avoid the ban.

If you don't report it right away and ask the GM to remove the items from your bags, you will be considered as those that exploit it all the time.

Deleted
    If I knew that I'll only get 72h ban for botting/duping for my first offense - i'd abused the shit out of it, exploit out millions of gold, got banned for 3 days and be set.
    This is the case though for botting. If you resell the gold for real money then you can get a ban pretty fast, but if you stay "off the radar" and use gathering bots the odds of being banned or even getting caught are so incredibly small.

Don't break the rules, don't get banned. Worked for me over the last 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightsight View Post
    Oh, I see the mod is going to be a white knight. First you have to define "Exploiting", do you agree with the ban that Ensidia got on their LK normal kill?
    Having actually known people from Ensidia that were present on the kill, they didn't know what was causing the bug, they knew the fight was bugged though and thus, should of actually told Blizz rather then do a bugged boss. They realised that they were skipping the hardest part of an encounter which made the encounter a complete joke.

So yes, they were in the wrong.

this happened to me when I DC'd from blizzard cuz my internet shut off, I didn't realize i duped 500g into 1000g. whoooooops
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now......that explains how some guy could get 40 darkmoon rabbits for sale.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    im sorry but this is way too funny lol

what does being a vanilla player makes you so special lol
    Yep he is special, he has pissed 8 years of his life away on this game he should be put on a pedestal.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by hasslehoof View Post
    Having actually known people from Ensidia that were present on the kill, they didn't know what was causing the bug, they knew the fight was bugged though and thus, should of actually told Blizz rather then do a bugged boss. They realised that they were skipping the hardest part of an encounter which made the encounter a complete joke.

So yes, they were in the wrong.
    OP reported the bug, as I stated earlier in the thread blizzard are the poorest company I've ever seen handling things like this when you actually report the issue. You still get warnings, bans, etc. They can't handle things.

Face it, the only people defending this haven't been on the side where they did everything in blizzards best interests (testing a bug and reporting it without exploiting is praiseworthy not banworthy) and still got mistreated by blizz.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Exploiting, major or otherwise, is exploiting. Doing it for fun or because you're curious doesn't make it something else.
    Agreed with this statement.

Mess with the auction house and they hit you like Bobby Boucher.

Make BG's completely unplayable by botting and it's nothing but the sweet sound of silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    Now......that explains how some guy could get 40 darkmoon rabbits for sale.
    As I understand it this exploit allowed people to reset the cool down on daily crafts as the Darkmoon Rabbit is a drop if the pets were duped it was with an entirely different exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingtall View Post
    Mess with the auction house and they hit you like Bobby Boucher.

Make BG's completely unplayable by botting and it's nothing but the sweet sound of silence.
    I have to say that it is the lack of consistency that is my biggest issue with this whole situation. Despite what some are claiming that it will ruin the economy it simply was not wide spread enough to do so and I doubt without this thread many would not even be aware that it had happened. Yet behaviour that has genuine impact on others play time such as battleground bots and the abuse that some throw at others seemingly goes unpunished.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-01-10 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this exploit is Blizzard fault. Thing like that should'nt happens at first.

I was told if you milled herbs, sold the stack before you looted pigment when shifting herbs around your bags, it bugs the herb out and disconnects you if you try to vendor it. Upon logging in, your character is rolled back to last save point. Thus resetting the daily timer cooldowns.

I did not take advantage of crafting, cooldowns, or try to advance myself in gold profits or ruin the economy or any other player. I reported it as I should have, and I was permanently blanket banned regardless.

Crafting 300 darkmoon decks...sure perma ban them. That's a huge economy exploit. But I did not go that route.

AGAIN...READ BLIZZARDS OWN RULES

Bug Exploitation
    We have a top notch Quality Assurance team who work tirelessly to stamp out bugs in the World of Warcraft. However, they face a constant uphill struggle with a game as large and complex as World of Warcraft. Some bugs are minor and do not affect gameplay, but sometimes these bugs can be used to provide an unfair advantage to certain players or to negatively affect the service itself. Factors included in determining an appropriate penalty for knowing exploitation of a bug include:

Whether or not the exploit is performed intentionally, maliciously, and/or repeatedly.

If a player is found to have abused an exploit, they may:

Be given a verbal warning if exploitation is unintentional and no attempt has been made to hide its occurrence. (I actually submitted a bug report AND tweet about it)
    Be temporarily suspended from the game.
    In extreme cases the account will be closed outright.

Deleted
    Nobody did this without doing it on purpose and anybody with who did it knew it was illegal.
    Bans are fine and should not be reversed. Anyone who claim they didn't knew this was some kind of exploit or did it on purpose, lie.

About 10 months ago there was another exploit witch made duplicating items very easy and simple, it included memory editing to change items ID ingame. This exploit was Blizzards fault as well, but that doesn't change the fact that the people who did it knew what they were doing and did it on purpose.

Don't exploit if you don't want to get banned.