Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    they banned me once, i appealed and was unbanned in less than 30 mins because it was a mistake
    they are lax on banning, if they won't unban you after a petition, they have proof you did something they have to ban you for

on the other hand, they know that 75% of all banned accounts turn into new accounts and that makes their quarterly conference call sound good

if they can ban 30,000 and get 20-25,000 back, that's 50-55,000 subs they get to claim

i don't know what really happened but if i had to put money on it, you cheated and got caught. if i'm wrong, you know it and it sucks but i never will

none of us will so you really shouldn't take it to heart if your appeal falls on deaf ears
    people are just usually full of shit

10+ Year Old Account
    Why on earth would you mill a stack of herbs, only to vendor it? Seems kind of counter productive and stupid.
    I call BS on your story. I understand some idiots might have done this on accident, but I don't at all believe that you weren't intentionally exploiting.

gjeez there is many morons in here.

What he did is in no way an exploit. He got disconnected. he rejoined and continued playing.

Seriously look up the word exploit.

Exploit - Defines to take adavantage of something (a person, situation, etc.), especially unethically or unjustifly for one's own end. How is disconnecting yourself giving you any kind of advantages ?

if he sold a item for 20k gold. then did it. kept the money and got the item back. yeah. then its an exploit

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    I wouldn't believe every sob story you hear.
    Exactly this,

I find it hard to believe the majority of people would DC themselves for "fun"

Many people like me, just DCed themself, or was told by a friend to try it for fun to DC themselves, or literally was jsut curious if you COULD disconnect yourself. Many people had no intention of duping, or malicious intent, or exploiting the economy or it's server.
    This statement right here, going on about it how "innocent" you were makes me think your telling a lie, if it was generally mucking around, you'd of worded it like, "Did it to try, it dc'd me" then carried on, but not write that much about it,

Anyways, as Im pretty sure blizzard said, they mass banned the account and went through each one to find out who generally was exploiting to the extreme, who did it to make a little extra gold, and those who generally stumbled upon it,

Im more than willing to guess you had a temp ban, and thats what they were saying no to up lifting, and I'm pretty sure you probably tried contacting them over email not phone, could be wrong but I dont think so

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Oh come on guys. You can't say if someone told you that you could dupe by selling something and dc'ing yourself with a dc macro that you wouldn't try it out of curiosity!
    Actually I can. Easily.

---------- Post added 2013-01-09 at 04:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    This kind of black-and-white thinking is not wise. I'd suggest you really think about what you just said, from both a business and ethical perspective, and consider whether or not the action (of banning) is correct.
    The original post had a comment in it to the effect that he didn't condone major exploiting. Major being the key word. That is what I was responding to along with implying that anything considered a minor exploit is still an exploit. Don't read more into it than was actually there.

Thanks for the advice on being a good moderator. I'm well aware of grey areas and think about them constantly here. If you think about it, it's the grey areas that actually cause the most difficulties. I may not see something as breaking a rule while someone else does. That's really the nature of grey areas in any sort of environment. However, this isn't the place to discuss that.

Moving on...
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-01-10 at 12:58 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Check out this guy bragging on a public board about how much real money he did with this exploit:

http://i.imgur.com/etdio.png

Sure anyone who breaks the game rules deserves some punishment, especially if it slows down the process of finding out those who did real damage and got personal gain, many of those will probably get away with it because they do it "professionally". Still, people who are interested in bugs out of curiosity without causing any harm, and people who want to exploit them for own advantage are completely different groups.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I can say I wouldn't risk it. After 5+ years I'm not going to risk losing my account to test some stupid exploit I won't use anyways.
    Agreed, even that one heroic in WOTLK where you could bug the big spider boss on purpose. As a tank, I never did it and reported anyone who told me too.

Here is the reason. Blizzard is big... they are also very efficient regarding GM and CS staff. They macro everything... As soon as this exploit was mentioned anywhere, I knew Blizzard was finding a way to catch everyone automatically. No, they weren´t going to send a GM to invistigate.. it was going to be programmed... wide net style.

If someone tells you an exploit, trust me, Blizzard already knows of it and is either figuring out how to auto-detect or, or already auto-detecting it. Unless you are doing it professionally ( like gold-farmers) you simply are not going to be ahead of Blizzard on exploits.

Also, the real benefit of this exploit was not actual duping, it was to bypass cds... and most of the people were using it on darkmoon faire cards. Do you know how easy it would be for Blizzard to calculate the max number of scrolls of wisdom you could have possible created (what, maybe 120 by now) and then count how many actual cards someone has created? If you have created 500 darkmoon cards, you exploited.

I am also sure Blizzard already keeps an eye on whenever smoeone logs in 30 times in an hour.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 02:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by impending doom View Post
    Check out this guy bragging on a public board about how much real money he did with this exploit:

http://i.imgur.com/etdio.png

Sure anyone who breaks the game rules deserves some punishment, especially if it slows down the process of finding out those who did real damage and got personal gain, many of those will probably get away with it because they do it "professionally". Still, people who are interested in bugs out of curiosity without causing any harm, and people who want to exploit them for own advantage are completely different groups.
    Yeah, that is the funny part. the real smart people were doing it with throw-away accounts and did it for real $$.. then you have all the idiots who did it with their main accounts and only wanted to earn gold for their characters and now are crying about getting banned.
    Last edited by Azrile; 2013-01-10 at 02:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Exploiting, major or otherwise, is exploiting. Doing it for fun or because you're curious doesn't make it something else.
    There is quite a difference between trying out a bug out of curiosity and purposely exploiting said bug to the detriment of other players. Especially a moderator, who is expected to use his own judgment, should know better than to see things in black and white and if that is how you approach things, I think it would be wise for yourself or the other staff here to re-evaluate your status as a mod on this forum.
    Last edited by mmocf11091e3a8; 2013-01-10 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadin View Post
    Yeah, the OP obviously tried to lie to us about exploiting and getting banned and then unbanned. Thats what i'd do.

Wait, no. That doesn't sound like something anyone would do.
    Yeah, people do sometimes lie to others in an effort to convince themselves a lie is the truth or even to just make themselves look/feel better by presenting their perspective on something with all its nuance and intricacy while leaving out the details of the opposing perspective. Why would there ever be a need for judges/lawyers otherwise ? People lie sometimes.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

exploiters got banned, the community is better for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    Many people were taking advantage of a disconnect rollback bug that allowed you to dupe items and bypass crafting timers and cooldowns.

All you needed to do was mill a stack of herbs and vendor it and you'd be DCed (not going into details how). Many people like me, just DCed themself, or was told by a friend to try it for fun to DC themselves, or literally was jsut curious if you COULD disconnect yourself. Many people had no intention of duping, or malicious intent, or exploiting the economy or it's server.

These people including the dupers were given permanent account closures the other night on Monday evening including me. I appealed it TWICE and both times I was rejected and go no for an answer. They said if i replied again my account would get no response. I am a day 1 wow account holder and never been unsubbed in years. I've also never exploited or been banned for anything like this.

I do take full responsibility for disconnecting myself out of curiosity and don't condone major exploiting.

I basically gave up, blizzard didn't care. it was a blanket ban. I started a new account, and began leveling again. I woke up this morning and checked my wow account and found it to be unbanned and am currently playing. I was given no email as to why, or how.

For those who are banned who never meant anything, or simply DCed a friend or themself, their is still hope.
    As fortunate as it is that you were unbanned, I wouldn't have bought another account. I feel like unfortunate coincidences such as these are more of an opportunity rather than a negative act. If that had happened to me, I would have wrote one well written appeal explaining in the upmost detail of how I was not guilty, providing any ounce of evidence I could find. If they replied no to me after the first appeal, I would not have even appealed again. I would have simply quit the game (even though I don't play now as it is, I lurk these forums for old times sake) and moved on with life. Lets face it, WoW won't last forever, and we will all eventually move on past it... hopefully anyways.

But grats on getting the account back. People want to believe Blizzard is unreasonable, but usually when they give out a ban its for the right reason. Though, it can be exploited... (My friend hacked someone elses account and sent me the gold from it, even though I didn't want/ask for it, but I still got a 3 day ban.) So if you want to ban someone else yourself, just do what was said in my parenthesis lol. But it'll come at the cost of you getting banned as well.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
    There is quite a difference between trying out a bug out of curiosity and purposely exploiting said bug to the detriment of other players. Especially a moderator, who is expected to use his own judgment, should know better than to see things in black and white and if that is how you approach things, I think it would be wise for yourself or the other staff here to re-evaluate your status as a mod on this forum.
    Please read my post at #67. It's all of 3 above the one quoted. That said, I don't think there's an awful lot to discuss about my views on people exploiting the game.

If you have any problems with moderation--mine or anyone else's--please feel free to contact a site admin. Thanks.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Deleted
    Please read my post at #67. It's all of 3 above the one quoted. That said, I don't think there's an awful lot to discuss about my views on people exploiting the game.
    If you want to argue semantics as you did in #67, then yes, he was exploiting. That was not the point being discussed, however. The issue was if trying out a bug for fun deserves the same punishment as purposely exploiting those bugs for profit and judging by the way you replied in your first post, you clearly seem to think that it does.
    If you have any problems with moderation--mine or anyone else's--please feel free to contact a site admin. Thanks.
    You can leave out the petty passive-aggressiveness.

All these people calling for harsh punishments seem to ignore the fact that the Blizzard policy on exploits is totally convoluted. How about the twink 80 paladins soloing lvl 90 raid bosses? Oh yeah they won't declare that an exploit or fix it, but who knows maybe they will just ban all accounts with level 80 paladins at some point.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

guise i wuz juss curious n wanted 2 try duping 2 see if it wurked n it did n now im teh banned.

wut givs.

10+ Year Old Account
    No offence to OP but no wonder they won't unban people that easy, hell I bet 90% of those who get banned will make similar appeal saying "it wasn't me it was the other guy!!11". Go ahead and try to guess who's guilty and who's not then.

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    guise i wuz juss curious n wanted 2 try duping 2 see if it wurked n it did n now im teh banned.

wut givs.
    There are two people involved in this mess.

One of them abused it knowing that they were exploiting.

The other group just simply disconnected themselves, and did absolutely nothing that could be considered an exploit, Bug or glitch yes, but not exploit.

wut givs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydarm View Post
    Many people were taking advantage of a disconnect rollback bug that allowed you to dupe items and bypass crafting timers and cooldowns.

All you needed to do was mill a stack of herbs and vendor it and you'd be DCed (not going into details how). Many people like me, just DCed themself, or was told by a friend to try it for fun to DC themselves, or literally was jsut curious if you COULD disconnect yourself. Many people had no intention of duping, or malicious intent, or exploiting the economy or it's server.

These people including the dupers were given permanent account closures the other night on Monday evening including me. I appealed it TWICE and both times I was rejected and go no for an answer. They said if i replied again my account would get no response. I am a day 1 wow account holder and never been unsubbed in years. I've also never exploited or been banned for anything like this.

I do take full responsibility for disconnecting myself out of curiosity and don't condone major exploiting.

I basically gave up, blizzard didn't care. it was a blanket ban. I started a new account, and began leveling again. I woke up this morning and checked my wow account and found it to be unbanned and am currently playing. I was given no email as to why, or how.

For those who are banned who never meant anything, or simply DCed a friend or themself, their is still hope.
    You exploited you got cough and banned. You also think your special cause you may have played since day one well your not. You have been nothing more then $$$$ signs to blizzard.

If you cheat you will cough

/End Thread
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    Oh come on guys. You can't say if someone told you that you could dupe by selling something and dc'ing yourself with a dc macro that you wouldn't try it out of curiosity!
    Easily. I'm not stupid enough to do something that will most likely get me banned.

OP, you can dance around the issue but your time played and reasons for trying the exploit don't change the fact that you exploited, so there's nothing wrongfully banned about it.

so blizzard bans you unfairly and gets another $15bucks a month for it. well played blizzard, well played.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.