Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    fuck normalization. fuck normalized procs, fuck normalized gear, fuck normalized everything. makes the game boring and predictable. it's an effing RPG, gear is supposed matter fools.

stupid MMO 2.0 nonsense.

SWTOR buffs players in the 10 to 49 bracket. It doesn't equalize gear for everyone but it gets things in the ballpark. There's a pretty strong contingent there who think that the 10-49 experience is much better than at 50. I dropped before 1.6 which made gear easier at max level so maybe it's changed.

I have two somewhat contradictory thoughts about the gear problem but I think both are true.

First, I don't think gearing a toon was too hard at MoP release. If anything it was too easy. You could snag an AV weekend and completely gear a toon in honor gear. There's just too much whining and crying and blaming gear for your problems. And if you don't have the gold to put cheap enchants and green gems then you've got still more problems that the game can't fix. Suck it up, sit in the zerg like the idiot you are supposed to be, and get it done. If your toon can heal, spec it, even without a good gear set (the crafted gear wasn't horrible), throw some heals before you get popped. Or park yourself at the farm and type "Farm 5" instead of trying to lead the assault on the LM. You can always contribute and no one said you are entitled to gear, a balanced game or even a balanced map. Learn to deal with it, it will serve you well in the future.

Of course in today's game people deal with it by sending $49.99, or whatever, to a bot company. Keep up the good work Blizzard.

However, as expansions progress, especially this one with upgraded gear, it does become harder to catch up. And even once you catch up, you are just a couple of months away from needing a new set of gear that bumps your stats by 5% but because everyone else is also bumped nothing really changes. It's fracking stupid to be honest. At least on the PVE side you are, kind of, sort of, working through a story leading up to something. In PVP it's leading up to fighting another who has the same upgraded gear that you do, or, stomping some poor soul who showed up late. It's an absolutely ridiculous treadmill, it's stupid, and there's just no other way to put it.

I'd have to think this out more but in my perfect world I'd like to see a significantly harder initial gear grind that didn't just involve mindlessly running BG's. I think forcing people to PVE or do something in the world would be good. But, then, make the gear last longer somehow. Don't make me reload every 6 months. Let me enjoy and use what I have for awhile instead of something I toss in the trash the first chance I get. The 5% increase, or whatever it is, just doesn't work for me. It just makes it a chore.

the biggest problem that comes with normalisation of gear is that actually a lot of people wouldn't bother to pvp. one of the biggest reasons is that without gear upgrades there won't be any other reason to pvp beside vanity items. now the most obvious second reward you would add is transmog gear.

personally I wouldn't set a foot inside normal battlegrounds. though I would assume botting would become less of a problem it won't cure the other problem battlgrounds has... bad and/or rude players. I bet most of you have encountered those types who are so bad that even a bot is better. rude players is an understatement as those guys have worse manners than LoL players.

Quote Originally Posted by walkingtall View Post
    SWTOR buffs players in the 10 to 49 bracket. It doesn't equalize gear for everyone but it gets things in the ballpark. There's a pretty strong contingent there who think that the 10-49 experience is much better than at 50. I dropped before 1.6 which made gear easier at max level so maybe it's changed.
    I quit in January last year (1.1, maybe? I don't know) and I completely agree with that. I had a 50 Watchman Sentinel (Essentially SL/SL, but on a Warrior) that was full Champion with a few peices of Battlemaster, I leveled up an Assassin and loved it. 10, 20 and 40's are overpowered compared to the rest of the people in the bracket (Bolster worked (I believe) by taking an average of your equipped items or available items (similar to the ilvl we have in WoW) and grating you stats based on that average.) because you started off with a decent set of gear for completing the starting zone, you had PvP upgrades at 20 and 40 which vastly increased your scaling. Thing was, as soon as I got my Assassin to 50 I just got my arse handed back to me over and over again by full BM premades (Who were generally terrible, as SW:ToR didn't reward players gear for being good, just for playing alot, much like Vanilla did with GM gear) who just outgeared you and farmed you. Same thing happened in Ilum too, they'd just sit and camp on armament boxes and wait for undergeared 50's to come along.

But yeah, the 10-49 bracket was far more balanced than the 50 bracket.

15+ Year Old Account
    The reason in swtor they had 10-49 wrzs all together is because they did not have enough people to have separate ones, so it kept the que times shorter.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Would only work if every single class was the exact same with the exact same spells and abilities, sometimes in order to beat a certain class aka frost mage you NEED that extra bit of gear, even then you also have to be a lot more skilled in order to do so, making everyone wear the same gear would only mean people will feel forced to roll the most op class on the game in order to stand a chance.

The problem is the weapons in my opinion, without it you're missing out on something like 9% PVP power which is massive and because so many people have it without it you're at a huge disadvantage, the gear itself is hardly a game changer for me it's always been about the weapons.

If u do not start FARMING HARD! after 4 weeks of a new expanision u will be a nuke chicken forever! if u cant zeeerg through bg's and collect the old season gear when a season gear patch is applied

" A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities "

15+ Year Old Account
    It would be awesome for the pure pvp perspective but take away some fun in gear progress. Very tricky question.

just look at the topics on the forums how many people only do LFR to get gear. then don't tell me the same people would just start pvping if they won't get any gear from it.

I completely agree with that. I had a 50 Watchman Sentinel that was full Champion with a few. I leveled up an Assassin and loved it. 10, 20 and 40's are overpowered compared to the rest of the people in the bracket by taking an average of your equipped items or available items.

Work? yes, perfectly
    would be be "viable"? as in players wouldnt ragequit and whine their eyes out because they no longer over gear people so their "skill" is reduced to 0? nope :P it wouldnt

L33t people like to pwn noobzors
    (overgeared people like to kill people with inferior gear to whom they refer as noobs)

10+ Year Old Account
    I played gw2 for like 3 weeks and I just got sick of the PvP.
    It simply didn't feel rewarding to me, and honestly, the balance was terrible, despite everyone being equally geared. Heck, if I have to believe other people, pvp in gw2 still ain't balanced.

PvP could be interesting with the gear normalization if they had a new "reason-to-play". Like a leveling system to unlock mount, transmog, pet.

Personally, I don't need a reward to play PvP, because I simply like PvP'ing...
    Victory to the Alliance !

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalan View Post
    PvP could be interesting with the gear normalization if they had a new "reason-to-play". Like a leveling system to unlock mount, transmog, pet.

Personally, I don't need a reward to play PvP, because I simply like PvP'ing...
    I was thinking unlock a different set of stats for the gear. For example CoD (not exactly an rpg) when you rank up you get new weapons, not really "better" weapons, just different weapons, ones that may suit a different playstyle or spec.

I enjoyed casual pvp, but I wont play pvp now because I didnt play the first month or so of MoP, so by the time I got to 90 I had no pvp gear. The crafted stuff is crap, as usual, and theres no easy way to get honor gear when half your team is bots or are just on /follow. If I could get geared up without having to get carried I might, but without real pvp gear I feel like a huge liability. I am a decent player, but without gear I am useless (and rogues werent in a great spot to begin with).
    Why is there no "Demonhunter" hero class yet? He was only the coolest hero in WC3. Get busy Blizzard.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no, Should they use gear normalization for all PvE too? No, because it's called progression, I think it's a horrible idea, Good job it would never go through
    The problem is people see a thread on a forum, and instead of contributing towards it they go ahead and make their own, this has been mentioned in current threads, Which I'm sure you know anyway as you got the idea from there
    Most of this hate comes from PvE heroes that play on PvP realms then cry like bitches when they get killed-.-'

Quote Originally Posted by walkingtall View Post
    SWTORs bolster system is a joke to fill low population pvp queue and try to eliminate the need for more then 2 brackets. It doesnt get gear in the same ball park either if you are above or below what the game has set as average gear for you lvl you get a huge buff or a extremely underpowered. This is why you see dps with purple quality mods and augments with 15k life 2 shotting ppl and the folks in quest greens sitting at 10 to 11k life wondering what just happened to them.

If you normalized gear in WoW pvp and it could be done without breaking things, which is a rather large if, tons of ppl would stop pvping the gear grind is part of the reason some do it and others do it because they can outgear ppl at some point if they pvp enough or well. If ppl wanted to pvp just for the sake of pvp and nothing else there are so many other choices besides WoW that are directed at that mindset. Think of all the ppl you see in trade looking for arena partners for points or that do RBGs only to cp cap. Take away the gear and you take away all of those pvpers.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Work? yes, perfectly
    would be be "viable"? as in players wouldnt ragequit and whine their eyes out because they no longer over gear people so their "skill" is reduced to 0? nope :P it wouldnt

L33t people like to pwn noobzors
    (overgeared people like to kill people with inferior gear to whom they refer as noobs)
    First, your post is garbled as hell, i actually cannot understand the first part
    Second, You cannot be overgeared in PvP lol, That's actually impossible, Plus everyone has the chance to get the same gear, SO there is no problem, ofcourse people new to the season will be behind for a little while, but not long, Just like fresh 90s can't go raid HC raids relevant to their level, They just have to wait a while, You can outgear PvE as dungeons are tuned to a certain ilvl, other Players are not =)

Think about how many players play on the arena tournament server (not the blizzard one). There is a market for that kind of thing but Blizzard would never give everyone the same gear from the get go because too few people pvp and if they did that then even more would stop (casuals like my brother, since the only thing they care about is getting a new piece of gear every reset and not getting better at the game).

It would be awesome tho because then you could actually pvp mid-season and not get destroyed because you don't have tier 2 yet and are unable to get there because of all the T2-cleaves that own you because they have better gear.
    Specs: I5 3570K - GTX 670 - 8 gb ram
    My youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/aldrashan

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The reason in swtor they had 10-49 wrzs all together is because they did not have enough people to have separate ones, so it kept the que times shorter.
    Same reason they had the dog shit idea of putting al players in one bracket at the start. Nothing like matching a lvl 10 with no stun breakers debuff removers going up against a well geared lvl capped toon.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldrashan View Post
    Think about how many players play on the arena tournament server (not the blizzard one). There is a market for that kind of thing but Blizzard would never give everyone the same gear from the get go because too few people pvp and if they did that then even more would stop (casuals like my brother, since the only thing they care about is getting a new piece of gear every reset and not getting better at the game).

It would be awesome tho because then you could actually pvp mid-season and not get destroyed because you don't have tier 2 yet and are unable to get there because of all the T2-cleaves that own you because they have better gear.
    Everyone I know that plays on atr, plays it because it's way better balanced then this.
    There just needs to be a way to catch up faster if you start mid season. Free gear and gear normalization are not the solution.