Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    BDSM beeing banned is strange because the activity can be 100% done with absolutely no sexuality linked to it. None.

Typical oversensitivity or lack of understanding on CSR's part I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoria View Post
    Nice, a 3 year old necro.
    Lets hang him for actually using the search function instead of making a new thread.!

I only report names if the person pisses me off, or if it's actually offensive. It takes a lot to offend me, so names like "Bdsm" wouldn't get under my skin.

I did Gnomeregan once with a warlock named "Gloryhole", and he was AFK for half the run. When he finally decided to join us, he didn't dismiss his pet before he jumped and pulled the whole instance. We wiped. That pissed me off, so I reported his name. He got DC'd after that and came back with the name "Gloryholez". I reported it again, he got DC'd once more, and we kicked him.

Was it petty? Yes. Was it justified? I think so.

A character named "BDSM". Why would that get flagged????

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudkobing View Post
    A character named "BDSM". Why would that get flagged????
    Because of the sexual nature of it?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Javox View Post
    I only report names if the person pisses me off
    That's why nobody should be banned for names, ever.

It's used to combat names that are legitimately a problem once and awhile. It's used as a butthurt revenge tactic the vast majority of the time.

Ive never had a problem personally because I don't use names that ever could be banned, but the amount of times I hard on vent someone getting pissed off because they're getting squashed in arena or bgs saying they're gonna report the guys name to get back at him for basically sucking and losing is sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    That's why nobody should be banned for names, ever.

It's used to combat names that are legitimately a problem once and awhile. It's used as a butthurt revenge tactic the vast majority of the time.

Ive never had a problem personally because I don't use names that ever could be banned, but the amount of times I hard on vent someone getting pissed off because they're getting squashed in arena or bgs saying they're gonna report the guys name to get back at him for basically sucking and losing is sad.
    This is a true statement that shouldn't be permitted. I do wonder about the guidelines of name reporting at times. My own username from here, I had on a character too, it was reported and removed without further statement - though thanks to my own actions, that was reversed again.

I find it sad that some people use the tool for revenge and harassment against others.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Luftdot View Post
    I'm precisely against surnames because it makes it so much easier to trick the system with the gap and have even more inappropriate names.

The most recent and annoying trend has to be "qt" at the end of a character name.

I wish I could report every player using 'ß' in their names. It is not a B, and I don't read it as a B. So I read ßowhunter as 'Zzowhunter' which drives me insane
    Sure, it "could" be misused in such a manner. At the same time, though, allowing surnames/multi-word names means there's less of a reason for someone to have a ridiculously dumb name, so GMs/CSRs/etc. could be more punitive when it comes to forcing character renames.

I recall seeing the letters "qt" at the end of names, as far back at TBC, heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazgrel View Post
    Sure, it "could" be misused in such a manner. At the same time, though, allowing surnames/multi-word names means there's less of a reason for someone to have a ridiculously dumb name, so GMs/CSRs/etc. could be more punitive when it comes to forcing character renames.

I recall seeing the letters "qt" at the end of names, as far back at TBC, heh.
    I would love to have surnames/multiple names at choice. Though, I wonder how difficult it is for Blizzard to add in a blocklist of words. Basically, automatically block any word from being used that could be an offensive word.

Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    I guess you by passed the contains mature language warning when you created the character, i tried making honeybooboo but since it has boob in it i couldnt create it
    That is weird because I know a friend who named their panda booboo and they have been using it since mists launched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    That is weird because I know a friend who named their panda booboo and they have been using it since mists launched.
    That isn't why his name was blocked. Blizzard tends to block names they have taken action against before, though I think it is limited, but it is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Because of the sexual nature of it?
    BDSM isn'T sexual in nature. It can be applied to sexual games, just like many other non sexual themes.

Really? You got banned? Was a name change forced and you just changed it back to bdsm? I've been reporting a kid with an incredibly inappropriate name on my server for a couple of weeks and he's still running around with it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    leveling a monk now that is named sackcracker
    [...]
    you can't go wrong with just picking out a decent name and maybe I'm just lucky
    Sounds more like you're 12.

As if this is even confusing, the game has a rating and is designed around that rating. Just because you're sexually repressed and need to express yourself via your avatars name doesn't mean you get to do it because you spent money.

Deleted
    The age rating on the EU game would allow such names and swearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Sounds more like you're 12.
    sounds like i still haven't been prompted with a namechange

there's a reason why i'm the bane of the fallen king and it's not bc i beat him up and took all of his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tzarius78 View Post
    I just got the 3 hour ban for having Sukmyfurbals on a pandarian shaman. I just did the appeal process. Lets see what they do.
    Nothing - They'll do nothing. You broke the rules, enjoy your ban.

Also, that's one big necro!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grosbill View Post
    BDSM isn'T sexual in nature. It can be applied to sexual games, just like many other non sexual themes.
    BDSM is an applied term to the cause of sexual interaction, this doesn't have to involve sex to actually go under this term. And it is, and will forever be printed as part of that universe, hence it is under said rule.