[Frost] Are you using Glyph of Icy Veins?

Hey *,

I've read a lot of discussion about that glyph. Fully raid buffed I'm arround 32% haste. I have to add that I have T14 4p and EoT. This means I will regularly go over 50% haste. Is it time to use the glyph? I read a lot of times that it's not worth it because of the Brainfreeze procs you loose.

What are other mages doing?

Thanks for your help

Best,
    Reflection

Deleted
    You use it. Everyone use it. Their was a thread discussing because some promage didnt use it but their was no conclusion.
    In general: With your haste use it!

Deleted
    confirmation : use it .

Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    ...Their was a thread discussing because some promage didnt use it but their was no conclusion...
    That's what I remembered. Going to try it in our next raid.

there is no dps gain using this glyph. no matter how much haste u have.

Deleted
    Yes, it not a DPS gain. But not using it is a dps lost : gcd cap at 1s, even Frostbolt cap under IV or BL.

Deleted
    But there is a dps loss if u get over the gcd-cap which u get with all buffs and without glyph.
    So u get no increase in special but u are better with than without.

So in my case it is a DPS gain, because now I'm in the DPS loss area if I have BL and IV in parallel (worst case would be when EoT procs while both are running).

there is no dps gain nor loss. if you are gcd capped using ffb instead of frostbolt is more dps.

The sims say it's not a DPS gain until your haste is higher. Unsubstantiated claims on this forum with no math evidence say it is. Take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by daydayhyphy View Post
    there is no dps gain nor loss. if you are gcd capped using ffb instead of frostbolt is more dps.
    This will cease to be true when Frostbolt has a higher FoF proc chance, presumably.
    I'm not even certain that it is true now.

it is very true. some top end mages dont even use the glyph due to the fact they get 2 extra ticks of NT when IV is active and just spamming FFB while keeping FB debuff active.

Quote Originally Posted by daydayhyphy View Post
    it is very true. some top end mages dont even use the glyph due to the fact they get 2 extra ticks of NT when IV is active and just spamming FFB while keeping FB debuff active.
    Now that sounds reasonable. Maybe I'll create myself a Weakaura showing me which spell to use currently. If my haste goes above 50% it'll show the FFB symbol else the FB symbol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have 10,400 haste and I do not use the glyph.

The reason I don't use the glyph is complicated but it comes down to mostly the 4pc bonus and having icy veins be a haste buff frequently in the fight.

Deleted
    Wouahou, you're at 67.81% haste under Icy veins.
    It make your frostbolt's cast time at 1.19s, you can even cap it with Essence of Terror proc (if you use it).
    But you lose 0.106s by instant, 1 Instant every 10.
    Did it can be compared to lower the Waterbolt's cast time to 1.49s and gaining 1 or 2 ticks from NT?

Actually, the better gain you can have is with Invocation (3.575s)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    I have 10,400 haste and I do not use the glyph.

The reason I don't use the glyph is complicated but it comes down to mostly the 4pc bonus and having icy veins be a haste buff frequently in the fight.
    Isn't the main reason you aren't using the glyph because nether tempest scales better with haste?

You're obviously using haste heavy gemming with nether tempest and LotC where I've gone for a more normal gemming with frost bomb and RoY.

Out of curiosity did you decide to gem/talent like that as a personal preference or for the increased damage while moving? and do you really find PoM offers enough mobility instead of scorch?
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory