10+ Year Old Account

Getting started and need some help

I recently bought Guild Wars 2, I was thinking about getting it ever since I stopped playing wow and since I'm an old GW2 veteran..
    But I would like to ask you guys where 2 start, because there are allot of servers to choose from.
    What population would you recon is best, like high populated because it's an active server but does that also
    it lags and has log Que's? Since there isn't any server type it's quite hard to pick and if anyone could help me decide and if anyone knows one with a good Dutch population that would be great since I'm a dutchy myself
    Last edited by Zaphiron; 2013-01-10 at 10:39 AM.

Deleted
    Try Far Shiverpeaks, I heard recently it has a good Dutch and Scandinavian population. I'd also recommend going with a medium or high-pop server, since there will be more downranked players around to do events with. I ended up on Ring of Fire, and nationalities seem a total potpourri of everything European... I've been hanging with some Greeks who are pretty cool.

Current problem classes are said to be the necromancer and ranger (broken pet AI, underpowered in pvp, and all the issues of pet classes in dungeons). Still I've played the ranger to 32, and it's fine in normal pve.

Also I found it really interesting how the dynamic event system biases the play experience towards playing at prime time, ie 6-10 pm. A lot of the elite events are not solo-able, and likely won't even appear if there are few players around. The game is definitely more fun in a more densely populated zone. That might also guide your choice of race to something generally popular, like humans. If you play Asura at non-prime time, you might find the early maps mostly empty.
    Last edited by mmoce5bb4403c1; 2013-01-10 at 10:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a bunch that was quite helpfull once I'm done working I'm definitely gonna check the server.
    If anyone else has some tips for me your still welcome 2, again thanks for your contribution mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI, there are no log queues in GW2. They use an overflow server system - you can play the entire game in overflow, the only restriction is that you cannot enter the Borderlands WvW. You can still enter Eternal Battlegrounds WvW however.

When a spot opens up on your home server, you get a pop-u[ message with 3 choices - Travel, Re-enter Queue, or Leave Queue.

Travel - go immediately to home server
    Re-enter Queue - stay on the overflow for awhile longer until the next opening becomes available on your home server
    Leave Queue - stay on the overflow shard

Overflow is determined by the amount of people in a zone. Most overflow is in the city of Lion's Arch, it gets a ton of traffic from people entering and leaving WvW, the Fractals of the Mists portal is there and it is a major portal hub with portals to all the races cities. Overflow moves quickly because of this traffic, you generally are not on overflow for very long unless you want to stay there
    Valar morghulis

My first advice is to poll your friends (Facebook, whatever) and see if anyone is playing. I'd choose my server based on some connections (though nationality isn't a bad second filter). MMOs are inherently social -- so friendships and guild connections are paramount to long term enjoyment of the game. Karizee: there can be long queues to get into WvW battlegrounds. If the OP is into WvW, s/he may want to query folks on the server about WvW queue times. Some of them are hours long on weekend...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxel View Post
    My first advice is to poll your friends (Facebook, whatever) and see if anyone is playing. I'd choose my server based on some connections (though nationality isn't a bad second filter). MMOs are inherently social -- so friendships and guild connections are paramount to long term enjoyment of the game. Karizee: there can be long queues to get into WvW battlegrounds. If the OP is into WvW, s/he may want to query folks on the server about WvW queue times. Some of them are hours long on weekend...

That is true about queues for WvW. My server's Eternal Battlegrounds queues are quite high, especially at weekly reset and on weekends. Generally the higher you go in tier the longer the queues will be.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...-Ratings-Feb-1

However, he was asking about log-in queues which as I stated you will never have in GW2 due to the overflow system.
    (as an aside, I woke up at 2am and logged in and BAM - overflow. People are playing the hell out of this game)
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-02-04 at 07:40 PM.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    You wont get lag in gw2 because every zone is cut off from the rest and every zone has a fill point where you get put in to overflow. I definitely would ask friends where they are, the inclusion of guesting means you can visit other servers which is nice but having to pay £6 for a server transfer isnt fun if you suddenly find out youre friends are all on FoW :S

Even if they didnt have overflow Id doubt youd lag, most of the time I run around by myself in low level zones even when I was on a high server it never seemed particularly played.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-02-07 at 06:16 AM.