Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Considering I have 14668 deaths in total on my current and past mains, mostly from raiding... no thanks. Maybe if they changed the current model so you could get away from a wipe if you were smart enough, but I still think it's a horrible idea since nobody would want to play tank.

Be interesting if there was a HC server for WoW. You die and you get moved to normal server.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    They would L2play so they wouldnt wipe?
    Nope..... people almost always blame someone else for the wipe so it would just be more ragequit, blaming everyone else for killing them etc etc

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just add diablo 3 hardcore death penalty and all the qq will stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Be interesting if there was a HC server for WoW. You die and you get moved to normal server.
    Interesting idea.... apart from the fact that after being around for 10 weeks people would plead with blizzard for free transfers out of there as it was becoming a ghost town.... No, wait they wouldn't... they would just die on purpose and breath a sigh of relief to be out of that ghost realm.

Deleted
    Death penalty like deleveling wont work in this game, it do not have the player base that is needed for such a game to be successful right now. People are whining about having to spend 15 minutes a day doing dailies ( assuming they did not slack in 5.0 on other factions and only have the dominance offensive now), imagine what they would think if they would have to level from 89 to 90 each time they died.

These kinds of things work better in a sandbox mmo (runescape/eq), not a theme park one.
    Last edited by mmoc0d096f98da; 2013-01-10 at 03:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by evokanu View Post
    Death penalty like deleveling wont work in this game, it do not have the player base that is needed for such a game to be successful right now. People are whining about having to spend 15 minutes a day doing dailies ( assuming they did not slack in 5.0 on other factions and only have the dominance offensive now), imagine what they would think if they would have to level from 89 to 90 each time they died.
    And even more annoying on that most people probably have already cleared every zone of every quest to get the loremaster of pandaria achievment (i know i have and everyone in my guild have aswell) its going to be a painfull grind all the way to lvl 90 by farming the same 2 dungeons (becos there is only 2 you can do at 89 in dungeon finder atleast) or farm random mobs out in the world or do bgs (which a lot of people hate to do)

And then you have to think how would they do about gear then would it scale down to 89? or do they get a new set of gear for one level?

Death penalty is annoying enugh and when doing any kind of pug you will always see a guy with Ress Sickness at 10min (or am i just having bad luck as it happens quite often for me..)

Deleted
    Durability loss should be removed, in PvP you don't lose durability either when you die.

If you want fun pvp, death needs a penalty. The reason why pvp outside of rbg/arena is so horribly boring in this game is because there is no risk vs reward. I mean has anyone, ever, got their adrenaline pumping from wow world pvp? With nothing to lose, who cares if you die? World pvp was done much better in other games when being bad and losing a fight meant losing items.

The extreme, obviously, is UO style where all your gear drops to your corpse to be looted. That wouldn't work in wow, well actually no loot in pvp would work in wow because the game has the most carebear playerbase in mmo history. Comes with the territory of being a mainstream mmo and casual friendly. What I think would maybe work is something like DAOC had...you drop some gold when you die in world pvp. If its in imbalanced fight like a level 60 vs level 90 you would only drop a tiny amount, if its a balanced fight like level 60 vs level 60 and you lose, you drop a bunch of gold. That would actually get the adrenaline pumping and people would want to fight instead of just stand there life tapping to try and hurry the process up, lol. But even that would probably get millions of panties in a bunch, the wow community is too soft for any kind of risk vs reward.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    If you want fun pvp, death needs a penalty. The reason why pvp outside of rbg/arena is so horribly boring in this game is because there is no risk vs reward. I mean has anyone, ever, got their adrenaline pumping from wow world pvp? With nothing to lose, who cares if you die? World pvp was done much better in other games when being bad and losing a fight meant losing items.

The extreme, obviously, is UO style where all your gear drops to your corpse to be looted. That wouldn't work in wow, well actually no loot in pvp would work in wow because the game has the most carebear playerbase in mmo history. Comes with the territory of being a mainstream mmo and casual friendly. What I think would maybe work is something like DAOC had...you drop some gold when you die in world pvp. If its in imbalanced fight like a level 60 vs level 90 you would only drop a tiny amount, if its a balanced fight like level 60 vs level 60 and you lose, you drop a bunch of gold. That would actually get the adrenaline pumping and people would want to fight instead of just stand there life tapping to try and hurry the process up, lol. But even that would probably get millions of panties in a bunch, the wow community is too soft for any kind of risk vs reward.
    Losing items is a sign of a crap game not worth playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnowo View Post
    Death in dungeons: Ghostform at entrance, unable to zone in while an encounter is in progress. Standard 10% durability loss.
    Every time you die, you receive a (stacking) debuff for 10 minutes. Each stack adds 10% damage increase while decreasing movement speed by 10%.
    Getting grouble with idiots 50% (or more!) of the time is already incentive enough to never do LFG without at least 2 other guildies. Why would we need more?
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Deleted
    I allways liked wow cause of its death penalty, unlike other games anoying xp penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Being scared of losing items is a sign of a crap player. Don't worry you're playing the right game, you're safe.

Deleted
    Being scared of losing items is a sign of a crap player. Don't worry you're playing the right game, you're safe.
    The desire to make others lose items is a sign of a crap player.

The desire to make others lose items is a sign of a crap player.
    Well that's nothing to worry about, crap players won't make anyone lose items because they're crap players

^ lol. Obviously not a game for you - I played EQ for years before WoW came out. Losing an item and your gold, when you die makes you actually give a shit about dying.

Losing xp when you die? Makes studying the strat for a raid boss MUCH more important, and knowing every ability your class possesses essential. Makes you dedicated. Makes dying mean something. It is what is missing from WoW - the zerg mentality has overcome everything, made it a world where a 12 year old can get to level 90 and gear up off LFR, without dying.

Then again, I'm oldschool.

But what if Mass Rez was also granted the ability to restore the lost Exp?
    Then which raid member takes the fall, running back to Mass Rez the raid and sacrificing their exp (which, at level cap, would LOWER them by a level, meaning they could not participate in that night's raid any longer).
    Also, I'm sorry, but when I die in a raid, I lose:
    Time, durability, my food buff, and whatever potions I used during the attempt. That's already a 30+ gold penalty every death.

Hardcore raiding guilds will spends HOURS wiping on progression bosses, they don't need MORE of a death penalty than a gold sink and time lost running back.

PvPers die constantly in battlegrounds and arenas.

People on PvP realms gets ganked and get into fights constantly-- a more punishing death toll would really encourage griefing and make being ganked an even worse experience.

So, really, what you want is for there to be a death penalty on PvE servers only for questing... where people barely die anyway. What on earth is the point?

As far as I can see, this is a change to make the game less fun.

If you want fun pvp, death needs a penalty. The reason why pvp outside of rbg/arena is so horribly boring in this game is because there is no risk vs reward. I mean has anyone, ever, got their adrenaline pumping from wow world pvp? With nothing to lose, who cares if you die?
    There is a reward. I want to win the fight, for winning's sake. There is something to lose-- you've been beaten. Someone is better/faster/stronger than you. You then want to improve and hunt them down for a rematch. That's how it goes on my server, anyway.

I think a system with harsher death penalties can work in other games, but Warcraft places too great a value on the things that could be "stripped" with a death to make this a good idea. If you want a game with that kind of "hardcore" flavor, you need to look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2013-01-10 at 05:26 PM.

Actually no, he is right, losing items on death in a game designed so that you die more or less often is bad design.

UO was one of the worse designed games i have seen.

Im not talking a Diablo 3 HC penalty or even something like in Ultima Online where if you died mobs looted your corpse and if you didnt make it back in time you lost all your gear. But I think death should have some kind of penalty. Also no repairs dont count. Seeing how everyone has thousands of gold and repair costs were nerfed and are now next to nothing unless you penalty rez. Also repairs are usually covered by guild funds anyways. So I dont think thats really a penalty. I just think death should have more of a penalty than it does. It would make people better players because it did in other games that had penalties. If you knew that dying meant an exp loss and a long walk back you would think twice about breaking CC or not assisting the tank. Hell can you even die anymore in this game unless you are doing a raid?
    \

and that would enrich and make the game more fun?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The extreme, obviously, is UO style where all your gear drops to your corpse to be looted.
    Someone quit UO before Insurance?