Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    I never understood this either.

ZOMG FLIGHT PATHS! YEAH!!! SO MUCH MORE IMMERSIVE AND REALISTIC!!! I LOVE HOW IT TAKES TIME TO GET PLACES!!!
    /tabs out to watch pr0n while waiting

I once, as a test for a guild activity, rode a ground mount from Lordanel to Land's End Beach just to see how long it would take; roughly 30 minutes.

Seemed faster than taking a flight path.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I don't care if a portal exists to reach the place, all I care is that it "exists" on a general map. The only reason I didn't like Tol Barad was because it "existed" off in it's own world, so you couldn't even fly there, despite the fact it's only supposed to be shortly off the coast of northern EK. I know they did that for PVP reasons after the mess that was Wintergrasp, but it really hurt the feeling of cohesion.

There is nothing wrong with portals and I hope they stay. I bet the majority of people who take flight paths don't stare at their computer screen in wonder at everything they are flying over. Personally, I start flying then either tab out or get up and do something else for the few minutes it takes to reach the destination.

Deleted
    This word lazy gets spouted a lot these days. Tell me, what exactly is wrong with wanting to be lazy & avoid the boring parts of a game you play for fun. Honestly I think people forget games are suppose to be enjoyable sometimes.

I'm not so sure if it's lazy, but to me it just ruins the atmosphere. Take ICC for example. The portals just made it feel like four pieces of a castle stringed together as opposed to one huge continuous raid. Sometimes they're are necessary, but I feel that they can easily be overdone.

You won't think its lazyness when you are sitting in a raid with 8 other people waiting for your 10th to fly across the entire pandaren continent and out into the ocean to get to the 5.2 island.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    You won't think its lazyness when you are sitting in a raid with 8 other people waiting for your 10th to fly across the entire pandaren continent and out into the ocean to get to the 5.2 island.
    Or waiting for half of your late 25M raiders to shuffle their way over.

Portals are a convenience. As long as it exists in the real world, on the map, you can feel free to fly to it if you care that much. Me, I'll take a portal.

Deleted
    If they didn't finish building the airport on Thunder Isle yet, you'll have to take portals. Or would you rather swim all the way to the island?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone thinks well see boats and zeps again, you need to wake up. Portals are faster, easier to code, and easier to grief. I'm amazed the old boats/zeps aren't removed yet in favor of portals.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    If anyone thinks well see boats and zeps again, you need to wake up. Portals are faster, easier to code, and easier to grief. I'm amazed the old boats/zeps aren't removed yet in favor of portals.
    I dont know how may times I saw the Zepplin starting to depart and jumped for it and fell through the deck and nearly die on landing....

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    What?!? No! I love taking the Zep from STV to Tirisfal. It's the easiest way for Alliance to get up there!
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    What?!? No! I love taking the Zep from STV to Tirisfal. It's the easiest way for Alliance to get up there!
    Easiest way is actually the new Crater portal Mages got.

You can fly (or swim) straight to the Isle of Giants, that's not a problem but Thunder Isle is still blocked off by fog and invisible walls and doesn't appear to be where the map suggests it should be.

You can see in the distance an island but that appears to be the same old 'placeholder' island which has been there for months. I do believe that the true Thunder Isle is in fact instanced, which IS a shame - there's no reason for it.

They should do what Rift does: no flying of any kind, instantaneous portals to get from town to town... but you have to pay to use the portals.

BTW, has anyone noticed odd behavior when you minimize a window while you're flying? It seems the objects at your destination don't materialize until a few seconds after you reexpand the window. I've had this happen many times flying to the lodge in Grizzly Hills; the character falls through the deck where the FP is located before the deck materializes (this is not fatal since you just fall a short distance to the ground under the deck.)

This behavior started around 4.0, so it was probably part of the client changes for Cataclysm.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2013-01-10 at 05:03 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    Easiest way is actually the new Crater portal Mages got.
    Pfft, mages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    I'm not so sure if it's lazy, but to me it just ruins the atmosphere. Take ICC for example. The portals just made it feel like four pieces of a castle stringed together as opposed to one huge continuous raid. Sometimes they're are necessary, but I feel that they can easily be overdone.
    Two words: corpse runs. Like all these things they seem nice, but when you think about the practicality of doing it 1000 times it starts to get annoying pretty fast.

Two expansions ago OP would have been singing the diametrically opposite tune.

"I'm sick of waiting for our elusive warlock to sign on just so he can make a summoning portal to get to the isle. Some BS about making sure his baby was 'fed' or 'wasn't throat deep in his own excrement.' I dunno, I wasn't really paying attention. Make this easier for us, Blizzard! Sick of waiting around for people when I'm ready to go!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Or waiting for half of your late 25M raiders to shuffle their way over.

Portals are a convenience. As long as it exists in the real world, on the map, you can feel free to fly to it if you care that much. Me, I'll take a portal.
    there is a HUGE difference between taking a portal to an island, and taking a portal to each individual boss in a raid. i just wanted to add that. since people are confusing the two. its nice to get to the action faster, but once im there let me make my own way from spot to spot, or boss to boss. having a portal from the mainland to an island 20 mins away, is a convenience, while a portal after every single boss inside an already tiny raid.. is just bad design.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuben View Post
    Not really with patched in zones like these, but I find it very dull intercontinental transit is handled with a portal. Jumping on the zep to Borean Tundra/Howling Fjord activated a nordic piece of music and when you arrived to Northrend you could admire the world while the zep still made its way to the docks.
    That's all good and well the first time. And maybe even the third or fourth. But every raid day for the 4-5 months that this content is relevant would get very old.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    there is a HUGE difference between taking a portal to an island, and taking a portal to each individual boss in a raid. i just wanted to add that. since people are confusing the two. its nice to get to the action faster, but once im there let me make my own way from spot to spot, or boss to boss. having a portal from the mainland to an island 20 mins away, is a convenience, while a portal after every single boss inside an already tiny raid.. is just bad design.
    I can agree with you on this point, thanks for elaborating. Trash mobs are there for a reason, no matter how monotonous they might seem.