Thread: Case Fans

Deleted

Case Fans

So as the topic says I'm in the market for a few case fans. I'm currently using a CM Storm Enforcer with a 200m megaflow on the front and the standard coolermaster 120mm on the back. As the case has space for another 200mm fan on top I was thinking of going with another Megaflow as the red LEDs look nice and the fan that I already have seems to be working nicely.

However, I'm not sure what 120mm fan to use. The one installed currently seems to rattle slightly which is driving me insane so I was thinking of one of the 120mm noctuas? Any other decent case fans that I'm not aware of?

Cheers.

How much are you looking to pay for a fan?

The current leader in 120mm fans is the Scythe Gentle Typhoon, a $20 static pressure fan.

Some alternatives considered 'good': Corsair AF120/SP120 and Cougar Vortex.

Deleted
    Was thinking between £8-15 I guess, as I was already going to pay £8 ish for the Megaflow. I'll take a look at the ones you've mentioned though, thanks for the suggestions. Is there any specific qualities I should be looking for when buying a 120mm to use as an exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by Appled View Post
    Was thinking between £8-15 I guess, as I was already going to pay £8 ish for the Megaflow. I'll take a look at the ones you've mentioned though, thanks for the suggestions. Is there any specific qualities I should be looking for when buying a 120mm to use as an exhaust?
    Theoretically, you'd compare noise and air flow. However, since manufacturers can measure those two stats however they want, the comparing fan specs doesn't really help. You'd have to look at reviews (not all reviews are performed correctly either).

Also, you determine whether you'd like a PWM 4-pin fan or just a 3-pin fan.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Theoretically, you'd compare noise and air flow. However, since manufacturers can measure those two stats however they want, the comparing fan specs doesn't really help. You'd have to look at reviews (not all reviews are performed correctly either).

Also, you determine whether you'd like a PWM 4-pin fan or just a 3-pin fan.
    Am I right in thinking that a 3-pin fan plugged into a 4 pin header still gets the benefit of being controlled by the motherboard? The Megaflow and the 120mm I have currently installed are both 3 pin fans but are plugged into 4 pin headers and they do increase their RPM when my temps go up.

What about the Noctua NF-S12B fans? Are they any good? Read some decent reviews, with the air flow and noise being very good. What does FLX stand for too, as it seems you can get the noctua fan in an FLX and a non FLX version?

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I right in thinking that a 3-pin fan plugged into a 4 pin header still gets the benefit of being controlled by the motherboard? The Megaflow and the 120mm I have currently installed are both 3 pin fans but are plugged into 4 pin headers and they do increase their RPM when my temps go up.

What about the Noctua NF-S12B fans? Are they any good? Read some decent reviews, with the air flow and noise being very good. What does FLX stand for too, as it seems you can get the noctua fan in an FLX and a non FLX version?
    It depends on the motherboard, some mobo's have both pwm and voltage control on the 4 pin headers. Some only have what is specific to the pin outs, I.E. 3 pin is voltage control, 4 pin is pwm only.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by at05gt View Post
    It depends on the motherboard, some mobo's have both pwm and voltage control on the 4 pin headers. Some only have what is specific to the pin outs, I.E. 3 pin is voltage control, 4 pin is pwm only.
    So my fans that are all plugged into 4 pin headers are being controlled by PWM then? (As they alter their RPM depending on the temps) Might have misunderstood the difference between PWM/voltage control hah.

The only other fan header I have is a 3 pin PWR fan header (I think), so when I get the extra fan (200mm Megaflow), either the 200mm or the new 120mm will have to be plugged into that.

EDIT: After reading around I think I understand what you mean. For the fans to be controlled by PWM they would also require the 4th pin? So 3 pin fans plugged into a 4 pin fan header are probably controlled by voltage? Don't know why I'm getting so confused over this haha.
    Last edited by mmoc8b01500a1c; 2013-01-10 at 05:45 PM.

I vote Corsair AF120, I'm using 4 AF140's in my case, and they're brill. Amazing airflow, and literally silent, my HDD makes more noise than all 4 fans combined the 2 intakes at the front are even running via molex, at 100% speed. The Scythe Typhoon fans recommended are the "best" but also pretty loud I've heard. Unless that's another fan I'm thinking of. Pretty sure they are the ones though.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 06:14 PM ----------

EDIT: After reading around I think I understand what you mean. For the fans to be controlled by PWM they would also require the 4th pin? So 3 pin fans plugged into a 4 pin fan header are probably controlled by voltage? Don't know why I'm getting so confused over this haha.
    Pretty much, PWM = speed control, PWM is 4 pins. a 4pin lead will go on a 3pin header, but you loose the speed control. I'd reccomend Using molex for intakes anyway, never hurts to have as much cool air as possible flooding into your case. I have my intakes on molex (which runs them at 100% with no control) and my exhausts on a PWM (4pin header) to scale with temps. i also only have 2 3pin headers and 1 PWM, and 8 fans, so I had to use molex really. Eithe that or use splitters, which just reduces the speed of all the fans...
    Last edited by thunterman; 2013-01-10 at 06:09 PM.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page1.html
    This should be a good read for you, it also has a list of recommended fans on page 2.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunterman View Post
    I vote Corsair AF120, I'm using 4 AF140's in my case, and they're brill. Amazing airflow, and literally silent, my HDD makes more noise than all 4 fans combined the 2 intakes at the front are even running via molex, at 100% speed. The Scythe Typhoon fans recommended are the "best" but also pretty loud I've heard. Unless that's another fan I'm thinking of. Pretty sure they are the ones though.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 06:14 PM ----------

Pretty much, PWM = speed control, PWM is 4 pins. a 4pin lead will go on a 3pin header, but you loose the speed control. I'd reccomend Using molex for intakes anyway, never hurts to have as much cool air as possible flooding into your case. I have my intakes on molex (which runs them at 100% with no control) and my exhausts on a PWM (4pin header) to scale with temps. i also only have 2 3pin headers and 1 PWM, and 8 fans, so I had to use molex really. Eithe that or use splitters, which just reduces the speed of all the fans...
    Ah thanks for that. I've decided on the AF120s as I can get them from my local shop and they sound like good quality for the price. So you would recommend putting the two 200mm fans onto molex and then attaching the AF120s to one of the 4 pin connectors on my mobo?

Still not 100% sure how the fan speed control works, as both my ibtake/exhaust both alter their rpm depending on temperature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pin outs are Ground, Voltage, Speed Sense (tach), PWM speed control.
    http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-012074.htm
    http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...U%29_4_Pin_Fan
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Deleted
    Right I see, so I understand that they are always on but that doesn't explain why the fans speed up when my temperatures go up?

10+ Year Old Account
    Try deepcool for something cheaper and still a good quality, I have 3 deepcool blue led fans in my system and they are quiet and they keep everything very cool, as in 30º idle for cpu and less for the gpu, and they are cheaper then cooler master, but thats just my opinion .

10+ Year Old Account
    Right I see, so I understand that they are always on but that doesn't explain why the fans speed up when my temperatures go up?
    That means that your motherboard has a thermal based voltage control for 3 pin fans in the bios.

Last I checked, most motherboards can't do both from the same header. I know for sure that higher end ($150+) ASUS motherboards have this feature named Fan Xpert 2, Thermal Radar, etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Last I checked, most motherboards can't do both from the same header. I know for sure that higher end ($150+) ASUS motherboards have this feature named Fan Xpert 2, Thermal Radar, etc.
    Yeah I realised that my motherboard has Fan Xpert + although I haven't got it installed yet. Xpert + only controls 4 pin pwm whereas xpert 2 can control 3 pin fans I think. Going to try finding out whether I can get Xpert 2 on my mobo...