Thread: Mages - Blink

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Mages - Blink

I don't usually post complaints. Also, I know that this has been touched on here and there throughout several threads, but when I saw the possible change to blink it got me thinking. I'm sure that mages will lose their shit over this.

•Blazing Speed now replaces Blink. Cooldown reduced to 15 sec, down from 25. Now also frees the caster from stuns and bonds, and makes them immune for the duration

Ok so yeah that sucks for mages. However, if you compare this ability to our Burning Rush, it is still much better, it doesn't cost them health and it breaks stuns and bonds and makes them immune. Warlocks have a lot of tools in their bags, but seriously most other classes have the exact same things, but not only does it not cost them health, but they also have way more utility. Why do we get screwed on this? It's like, lets give warlocks something, but make it shittier than what other classes already have and then also make it cost them health.

Your thoughts?

They don't have pets, we do. /thread.

(To make my point a bit more clear, any and all discussions on Mage vs Warlock end on one point. They have better abilities, we have more abilities - via our pets. This thread is a waste of time.)

This talent is pretty useless.

Example 1: You choose Ice Barrier, you still have pretty good mobility via blink (blink is also very hardy and can do things Blazing Speed can't) and you have a really good shield.
    Example 2:You choose Blazing Speed which is at best pretty much the same as blink and you no longer have an absorb on a 30 second cooldown.

Mages have always had the stun removal via Blink, this talent replaces Blink so if it didn't also remove stuns it would be even worse than it is. You are comparing apples to oranges here my friend.
    Last edited by Volitar; 2013-01-10 at 04:38 PM.
    Hi Sephurik

Sure, Burst of speed is faster and more utility. But Burning Rush has NO cooldown, and lasts as long as you can spare the health. Coupled with our good health regen and some healing...I think I prefer my Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    They don't have pets, we do. /thread.

(To make my point a bit more clear, any and all discussions on Mage vs Warlock end on one point. They have better abilities, we have more abilities - via our pets. This thread is a waste of time.)
    Frost has a pet. Demo has a pet. Fire, arcane, destro and aff don't.

Poor thought aside, not really sure how your post is relevant to the topic.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 09:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Explosions View Post
    I don't usually post complaints. Also, I know that this has been touched on here and there throughout several threads, but when I saw the possible change to blink it got me thinking. I'm sure that mages will lose their shit over this.

•Blazing Speed now replaces Blink. Cooldown reduced to 15 sec, down from 25. Now also frees the caster from stuns and bonds, and makes them immune for the duration

Ok so yeah that sucks for mages. However, if you compare this ability to our Burning Rush, it is still much better, it doesn't cost them health and it breaks stuns and bonds and makes them immune. Warlocks have a lot of tools in their bags, but seriously most other classes have the exact same things, but not only does it not cost them health, but they also have way more utility. Why do we get screwed on this? It's like, lets give warlocks something, but make it shittier than what other classes already have and then also make it cost them health.

Your thoughts?
    If you're talking about PvP, nobody takes Burning Rush anyway and no mage will take Blazing Speed either. The other talents on that tier for both classes are just too good.

If you're talking PvE, then Burning Rush is infinitely better anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing how this is a 5.2 discussion, let's talk about 5.2 eh? First of all, blazing speed is a talent, meaning they have to give up either ice barrier or temporal shield. Second, it replaces blink, so they don't gain any stun breaking functionality. It only lasts 1.5 seconds so it's really only used for quick bursts of speed.

Burning rush on the other hand doesn't have a cd, lasts indefinitely with heals and in 5.2 provides snare protection.

As for what Tya said, seeing how this is about 5.2, blood fear will be redesigned and all three talents will be competitive.

Warlocks only need a few changes to be really strong in 3s again, and affliction is receiving a lot of nice changes.

I much prefer burning rush. Mages have to give up blink to get blazing speed. Not many mages are happy about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    I much prefer burning rush. Mages have to give up blink to get blazing speed. Not many mages are happy about that.
    Especially the new burning rush, having a built in freedom is going to make it actually pretty useful. I could see being able to kite via burning rush less damage then a melee beating your face in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    Since we're talking about PvP, you're out of your mind if you think Destro and Aff don't have pets.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Since we're talking about PvP, you're out of your mind if you think Destro and Aff don't have pets.
    Agreed even in BG wise sacrifice isn't always amazing mind you.

Deleted
    We have less abilities.
    In fact mages have so many abilities that they can CC us and our pet at the same time without giving it a second thought. Here's what you'll do to instantly own a warlock in 1v1 as a frost mage:
    You open as invis with a frost nova on them both, stunning the pet and silencing the warlock (blanket) you then frostbomb and watch the pet die while you icelance cleave them both to oblivion. If they're not both dead by the second icelance, the pet atleast will be and you're 1v1 with a warlock who has no chance with his either aoestun, aoefear or mortal coil + normal fears versus your counterspell, deep freeze and ring of frost. If (when) he pops dark bargain, you just keep nuking him and his dot will kill himself anyway, even with the 50% reduced damage.

PVP doesn't work on paper, I know. But it's a funny concept, mage versus lock... Especially if you consider that warlocks have a fraction of the ammount of abilities that a mage has.

I play my Mage since TBC and never been a serious PVP player so I can't talk for PVP. For PVE I wouldn't replace Blink for anything else. It is a beautiful designed spell with some small errors on stairs etc but it saves your life, has a relatively small cd and It is the signature spell for Mage class. It is actually the only spell that I really miss when I play any other class!

10+ Year Old Account
    For being a gladiator, you sure let mages beat you easily. Since you mentioned 1v1, do you mean duels? Cause if you're duelling a mage, you shouldn't have your pet stand next to you at the beginning of a duel. If he deeps your pet, just blood fear him. I'd say popping trinket would even be worth it here, seeing how he just used both deep freeze and blanket. Now for the PoM ring, as soon as you see PoM portal away. If he's wasting time on your pet, you'll have the advantage.

So yeah, your sig claims that you're a gladiator, but you sure don't believe in countering what others have to keep them from winning. Not that your argument matters anyways, since 1v1 is the least balanced aspect of the game.

I do agree that mages have an advantage at the moment, however the gap isn't nearly as large as you make it out to be. Just as a little note as well. Destro locks are better than mages in rbgs, if not by much. Demo locks are about even with mages in 1v1. In 3s, sure mages are still ahead, not nearly as much though, since the mage nerfs came around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burning Rush is fuckin awesome. The health lost is barely noticeable when use properly.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 10:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post

Poor thought aside, not really sure how your post is relevant to the topic.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 09:22 PM ----------

If you're talking about PvP, nobody takes Burning Rush anyway and no mage will take Blazing Speed either. The other talents on that tier for both classes are just too good.

If you're talking PvE, then Burning Rush is infinitely better anyway.
    You'd be crazy to use sacrifice in pvp.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd be crazy to take sacrifice in pvp? Really? I wasn't aware of this.

Using Affliction as an example:

Why sac your Felhunter for extra damage on MG (which you'll never have time to channel anyway) when you could keep him, keep his damage and keep his Purge.

Why sac your Succy and lose your knockback? It just doesn't make sense.

It certainty isn't terrible as Destro, but the utility you're losing doesn't make up for the damage you gain.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamage View Post
    I play my Mage since TBC and never been a serious PVP player so I can't talk for PVP. For PVE I wouldn't replace Blink for anything else. It is a beautiful designed spell with some small errors on stairs etc but it saves your life, has a relatively small cd and It is the signature spell for Mage class. It is actually the only spell that I really miss when I play any other class!
    I forced my friend to play a mage to 20, at first he hated it, then he hit 15 and got blink. That mage is his only ranged 90 now, he usually plays mdps/tanks.

Burning rush is nice for being around town. Gets me from the AH to the mailbox quickly. Honestly, I could probably ignore that tier for pvp and do fine...
    Why is there no "Demonhunter" hero class yet? He was only the coolest hero in WC3. Get busy Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Burning Rush is fuckin awesome. The health lost is barely noticeable when use properly.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 10:46 PM ----------

You'd be crazy to use sacrifice in pvp.
    Blood Fear...?
    Weak pets...?

Are you talking about PTR?