Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    They will suspend your license, but that isn't anywhere close to an arrest warrant. They are not the same, and they don't issue warrants for traffic violations.
    Depending on the state/country ... Yes, they will.

You defo dont want to just ignore it ... as others say go to the courthouse and set up a payment plan.

And yes if you drive a car ( also others you borrow ) it is up to you to make sure its safe and working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by xtiiina View Post
    I got a ticket a week ago for having the light above my back license plate out on my car.... I don't know how I was supposed to know that the light was out cuz I mean really how often do you look at the back of your car??? Anyways... They want $155 for the ticket and I can't afford that.. If I don't pay the ticket what will happen?
    have it fixed, and then prove that it's fixed. i'd be willing to bet the ticket you have is what's called a fix-it ticket, where if you don't fix the problem in a specified amount of time, you have to pay the fine.

a little more info on it, but you might want to check your state or local regulations:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/9529.htm

I got a ticket a week ago for having the light above my back license plate out on my car.... I don't know how I was supposed to know that the light was out cuz I mean really how often do you look at the back of your car??? Anyways... They want $155 for the ticket and I can't afford that.. If I don't pay the ticket what will happen?
    When it comes time to renew your registration r licence you wont be able to becuase you have outstanding tickets. Plus if you go to renew it and dont pay; they flag ur vehicle and expect to get pulled over ALOT more until they decide to arrest you.

Source: happened to me.

Do you think I'd just be able to do jail time or community service instead of paying it? I mean that's a lot of money.
    You have got to be shitting me. The time spent doing community service or sitting in jail would be more costly than paying $155.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go to court, plead guilty and ask the Justice of the Peace (or whatever they're called where you are) for an extension of the dead line. Went to court for $120, I plead guilty to a lesser charge ($60) and they gave 90 days to pay it off (up from 15).

If you don't pay it they will suspend your license and the administration fees will start adding up.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In Driver's Ed they teach you that a truly good driver is supposed to do a walk-around their car prior to each time they go to the car to drive it. Turning it on first is a good way to also be sure about the lights working.

So yes, while it is silly, it's technically your fault for not having checked. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I have a problem right now with something similar. I had a ticket for my registration being bad. and a out of date insurance card. and honestly right now im on unemployment. I have forked over a ton of money to get this fixed plus I had car issues that needed to be fixed. and I managed to get just enough money to send to the courts right on time with prof of corrections and then out of no where I had a unauthorized transactions making my payment bounce. and right now im scared out of my mind. basically im going to pray that I can get ahold of some one at the court that's a hour and a half away from my house that can help me. maybe just give me a few days to pay. I have no idea what's going to happen all I know is that im super worried because I just got a great job in another state and I sure cant leave with a warrant or suspended license.

Deleted
    You're driving and can't possibly afford to pay a $155 ticket? What if your car needs repairs for that price? You're going to walk everywhere?

Deleted
    You can't go to prison for not being able to pay your debts. Debtor's prison was abolished a long time ago, on top of the fact that it's against any principle of common law.
    You will be enforced to pay the owed sum via enforced sell of your goods, or as you call it in 'murica, foreclosure. Be careful, not paying it on time means that there will be penalties for being late with the payment.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit of a Necro, 6 months later.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dethox View Post
    You can't go to prison for not being able to pay your debts. Debtor's prison was abolished a long time ago, on top of the fact that it's against any principle of common law.
    You will be enforced to pay the owed sum via enforced sell of your goods, or as you call it in 'murica, foreclosure. Be careful, not paying it on time means that there will be penalties for being late with the payment.
    Court fines arent debts. You can and most definitely WILL go to jail in most states if you dont pay fines. They will issue a warrant and if you get pulled over or have your ID run for other reasons by the police they WILL take you to jail. Debtor's prison was abolished for debts like credit card bills, loans, and utilities

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I believe you can go to the courthouse and negotiate if you can prove you really cannot pay.

Otherwise, they will eventually issue a warrant for your arrest (although most likely not actively come get you), but if you get pulled over again for any reason in the future, they'll see the active warrant and arrest you.

Disclaimer: The above is in no way legal advice.
    This is what happens. I did not pay a ticket for an expired registration. I did not respond to the several bench warrant letters. My license was suspended because of this. I was still driving. I eventually got pulled over and was arrested on the spot and put in county jail. I had been fighting this issue in court for over a year. It cost me about $2,000 and 6 months loss of license in the end due to lawyer, court fees and cost of paying tickets.

My advise, go to court and explain your financial issue and ask if you can do payments. They will likely work with you, because in the end, they just want your money and don't care about upholding the law.

This whole thing occurred because all notices were sent to the wrong address, not due to my stupidity, I didn't even know my license was suspended until I was arrested. However the DMV refused to release records stating where they sent the letters to. I got fucked by the state.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ssith View Post
    have it fixed, and then prove that it's fixed. i'd be willing to bet the ticket you have is what's called a fix-it ticket, where if you don't fix the problem in a specified amount of time, you have to pay the fine.

a little more info on it, but you might want to check your state or local regulations:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/9529.htm
    This is very true, I have seen this plenty of times.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NovaRanger77 View Post
    I have a problem right now with something similar. I had a ticket for my registration being bad. and a out of date insurance card. and honestly right now im on unemployment. I have forked over a ton of money to get this fixed plus I had car issues that needed to be fixed. and I managed to get just enough money to send to the courts right on time with prof of corrections and then out of no where I had a unauthorized transactions making my payment bounce. and right now im scared out of my mind. basically im going to pray that I can get ahold of some one at the court that's a hour and a half away from my house that can help me. maybe just give me a few days to pay. I have no idea what's going to happen all I know is that im super worried because I just got a great job in another state and I sure cant leave with a warrant or suspended license.
    Courts are generally open to working with you. As I said before, they just want your money. Give them a call and they may sympathize.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.