Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaladhrun View Post
    Nonsense. The most corrupt countries are dictatorships, not free societies, where you barter for "privileges" (not that democracies are much different, they just call it pressure groups/lobbies.) There is no such thing as "too much freedom" provided no one's rights are violated. Besides, the US is far from "free". It is just freer than countries like Saudi Arabia, and luckily still has a populace ballsy and with enough of a spine to stand up to its over-reaching, arrogant government.
    Just because a country with too much freedom is less corrupt than with a dictatorship doesn't make it good. You said it yourself. (See underlined) That basically comes down to too much freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    And you don't think your first world country doesn't do the same to its citizens?
    Not really, no...

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Wait, what? The us postal service isn't on the brink of bankruptcy.
    are you serious!?!?!? they reported a net loss of $5.2 billion in one quarter! http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/financials/welcome.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Actually no we dont
    Yours does! I read The girl who played with fire.
    Damn Säpo!

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    American isn't as free as people make it out to be.
    The American population isn't. Corporate America is an ENTIRELY different story.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by etnitz View Post
    are you serious!?!?!? they reported a net loss of $5.2 billion in one quarter! http://about.usps.com/who-we-are/financials/welcome.htm
    You do realise that it's a government agency, not a private corporation?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I'm pretty happy with my level of freedom in the US.

There have been studies that show, strangely enough, that as people gain more freedom of choice they become less happy. I can sort of understand that, I suppose, as there are times I wouldn't mind just being institutionalized for a little while to know that there's a plan for me and I don't have to figure it all out on my own. But I wouldn't want that to be my life all the time. I like having some level of freedom.
    This is shown perfectly in children.

Children need structure, they need stability, they feel safest when they are told what to do. Of course they are allowed freedoms within that safety net, but absolute freedom is a bad thing because children (and people) make bad decisions which leads to unwanted consequences. We give children the illusion of freedom and choices because it keeps them happy. We don't allow unrestricted access to tv/internet 24/7 because they'd never achieve anything else, so we offer the choice "you have free time from 7-9, during which time you can do whatever you like".

Adults also need certain "freedoms" curtailed and restrictions imposed. Your "freedom" to kill/steal etc is removed, instead you have the choice of opting to kill/steal in exchange for jail time/death sentence.

There will always be choices. No matter how much or how little "freedom" you think you have, you always have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Yours does! I read The girl who played with fire.
    Damn Säpo!
    I just finished rereading that

Säpo is such a cool name.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Actually the republicans made the postal office pay into pensions for the next 75 years, within a ten year time frame...And then they complain government doesn't work. lol
    If you take that out it's running billions in surplus.
    False. Results before retiree pre-funding:

FY2009: - $2.4 Billion
    FY2010 - $3.0 Billion
    FY2011 -$5.1 Billion
    FY2012 -$10.3 Billion

Doesn't look like "billions in surplus" to me.

(link from USPS's own site)

Source for FY2011 and 2012:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...9-billion.html
    Last edited by mmoc43ae88f2b9; 2013-01-10 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    What a pointless philosophising OP.

It's always a balance between the different freedoms and needs of the people.
    I did not recognize you with ze new avatar... I read your sig first. That was cute...

10+ Year Old Account

Don't ninja change your avatar pfff....

And scandinavian agencies sound always cooler then ours

Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Do American people have too much freedom?
    Hehehehe, no.

The land of the free is not what it makes it out to be. Most people are subject to having their minds enslaved to this lie by the government, and patriots.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only time the government should intervene is when my choices affect other people e.g. murder, burglary, rape, etc because I am taking away another persons freedoms.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 03:05 PM ----------

That is my point! It is the private sector that controls the economy. The more freedoms the private sector has, the better economy.

I find it sounds like Soap...

Theres
    Swedish Säpo
    Finnish Supo
    Norwegian PST
    Danish PET
    Icelandic GRLS

I find the icelandic one funniest - and the norwegian one the most apt for a secret service

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by etnitz View Post
    The only time the government should intervene is when my choices affect other people e.g. murder, burglary, rape, etc because I am taking away another persons freedoms.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 03:05 PM ----------

That is my point! It is the private sector that controls the economy. The more freedoms the private sector has, the better economy.
    In both Europe and the US the cause of the recession can largely be pinpoited to the fiscal sector having too much freedom and too little regulation... housing bubble in the US/Spain etc ring a bell?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    In both Europe and the US the cause of the recession can largely be pinpoited to the fiscal sector having too much freedom and too little regulation... housing bubble in the US/Spain etc ring a bell?
    What's the "fiscal sector"?

15+ Year Old Account
    I find it sounds like Soap...

Theres
    Swedish Säpo
    Finnish Supo
    Norwegian PST
    Danish PET
    Icelandic GRLS

I find the icelandic one funniest - and the norwegian one the most apt for a secret service
    Norwegian PMS, fixed that for you.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    way back when the nation was bailed out by companies... or at least the Rothschild family
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Don't ninja change your avatar pfff....
    I did not recognize you with ze new avatar... I read your sig first. That was cute...
    It's part of my campaign to introduce MMO-C to the fluff and love and everything cute that is my inner self
    And a sig to revel in "Lawrence Krauss said I'm right" is just good form.

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    And scandinavian agencies sound always cooler then ours
    Norwegian PST
    Danish PET
    Icelandic GRLS

Who can take your Danish pet and Norwegian whispers seriously as secret police? Gosh! Even the Icelandic Girls sounds like they'll do better!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    What's the "fiscal sector"?
    the sector of the economy that deals with money... you know all of it
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.