Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I find it sounds like Soap...

Theres
    Swedish Säpo
    Finnish Supo
    Norwegian PST
    Danish PET
    Icelandic GRLS

I find the icelandic one funniest - and the norwegian one the most apt for a secret service
    Ours is NDB...sounds so normal -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    In both Europe and the US the cause of the recession can largely be pinpoited to the fiscal sector having too much freedom and too little regulation... housing bubble in the US/Spain etc ring a bell?
    It had to do with artificial interest rates. Not to mention the combo Freddie/Fannie.

Spain was a victim of interest rates controlled by the Germans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    the sector of the economy that deals with money... you know all of it
    You mean the Financial sector?

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    It's part of my campaign to introduce MMO-C to the fluff and love and everything cute that is my inner self
    And a sig to revel in "Lawrence Krauss said I'm right" is just good form.
    If our avatar and sig represents us... Does that mean im an evil changeling?

Who can take your Danish pet and Norwegian whispers seriously as secret police? Gosh! Even the Icelandic Girls sounds like they'll do better!
    Well - its pretty easy to take seriously when it is pronounced as FBI - and that pet has no danish meaning :P

PST is pretty much phonetic for a whisper in any language though

Deleted
    Icelandic GRLS
    Sounds really intimidating and manly.

"Oh no, the GRLS coming, better hide the panties of our mistresses or they'll get real angry!"

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That just sounds worse
    Stupid alphabet agencies
    I think he is joking. I tried to look it up. Cant really imagine what is is supposed to cover. Maybe Politiets militære sikkerhetstjeneste?

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 12:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Sounds really intimidating and manly.

"Oh no, the GRLS coming, better hide the panties of our mistresses or they'll get real angry!"
    Icelandics aren't the first who springs to mind when you say the word "intimidating"

Deleted
    No, not at all! USA is actually less free then countries like Denmark for example. The only place where USA have too much freedom is gun rights, in many other things they have way less freedom.

Icelandics aren't the first who springs to mind when you say the word "intimidating"
    Oh how far the mighty Vikings have fallen. Then again even in their homeland the most badass character they've ever produced is an anorexic gothic hacker girl so...

Quote Originally Posted by Brightnail View Post
    I am always amazed at posts like this, which are obviously from the mouth of a teen.

How do you qualify the statement "Too much freedom will eventually corrupt itself...". Really? How do you know? Where does the bases for such a statement come from?

Unfortunetly, you have it backwards. To little freedom corrupts. Why do you think with the rise of big govt., also rises mega-corps, unending regulations, civil liberty destroying laws, wars, banking instutitions ? etc... TRUST ME, it is not because of "freedom", but lack thereof.

Now, with the gun grab agenda going on etc..... Yet, our debt is spiraling and nobody in Govt. seems to care. Why?

No, we need MORE freedom, MORE liberty --- Remember, we have a thing called bill of rights, constitution - (of course, govt. sh*ts on them), but the fact remains... your body is yours. Your freedom is alllll yours as long as you do not infringe on others rights. Government is suppose to enforce contracts, property rights.. it doesn't.

No, totalitarianism is in your future if you don't remove yourself from the line of thinking you proprose..... Government creates most problems... then swoops in to "fix" it with less freedom, more thievery, and more corruption.. AND you want more of that because you think ME having more freedom will corrupt?

Just wow.
    No, they are not necessarily from the mouth of a teen. You seem to have a rather idealistic view of things.

The government is tied down by fear of people not liking what they deem necessary. To deal with your debt many very unpopular decisions will have to be made, the 'free people' will go nuts, the govt will in all likelihood lose popularity, they will then lose the next election. So because of the freedoms and the system, they feel like their hands are tied. So nothing is done. They sit around twiddling their thumbs afraid to stir the pot until some Very Bad happens. Then all hell lets loose and they swing the other way, over-reacting, seizing the opportunity to put into place some of the restrictions that were long needed, but going overboard.

To me, the thing that causes the most issues in America isn't the government. It's your media. Just like in the UK, the TRUE power wielder is the media, and unfortunately that is where "lack of freedom" isn't an issue. Your views are shaped by the media. Your values are shaped by the media. Your government is shaped by the media. It all comes down to money. Journalism is no longer about getting across the small man's stories, righting wrongs, exposing corruption and making people aware. It is about ratings, it is about numbers, it is about money, it is about sensationalism and it is about spin. They want those numbers, they want that money and they will trample all over anyone they deem fit. They are allowed to run loose and create chaos because they are 'free'.

With freedom comes responsibility.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    In both Europe and the US the cause of the recession can largely be pinpoited to the fiscal sector having too much freedom and too little regulation... housing bubble in the US/Spain etc ring a bell?
    Do you know what caused that bubble to burst???? The government intervening and forcing the banks to take on subprime loans in the name of "equality." People who could not afford a house, were granted subprime loans and since they cannot afford the loan, they lose their house and are out on the street now because the government "tried to help."

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    Consumers hold power over corporations.
    And the media holds power over consumers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Acta, pipa and sopa. But hey, you live there, so what would i know.
    None of those were fully written, voted on or passed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Voted down by 478-39 votes in the EU parlament. Even if it would have theoretically passed, theres no way in hell Finland would uphold it.
    Except it's been passed and Finland does uphold it.

I did not recognize you with ze new avatar... I read your sig first. That was cute...
    I think an alien replaced semaphore.

10+ Year Old Account
    But semaphore....why hello kitty, now I always have a picture of my niece in my head, while reading your posts...
    Last edited by DieFichte; 2013-01-10 at 11:32 PM.

What do you mean?

- "On 4 July 2012, the European Parliament rejected the agreement in plenary session, with 478 voting against the treaty, 39 in favour and 165 MEPs abstaining."

- "The European Commission confirmed on 20 December 2012 that it was withdrawing Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) referral to the Court of Justice of the European Union (EU). This ended ACTA’s process at EU level and confirms rejection of the treaty by the EU."

I think an alien replaced semaphore.
    You guys made me out to be some sort of stone cold monster

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    No, not at all! USA is actually less free then countries like Denmark for example. The only place where USA have too much freedom is gun rights, in many other things they have way less freedom.
    America is in the top tier of countries when it comes to being free, despite the last 10 years of bad policy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2440620.html

This is a very respected project that was put together

America is also in the same position when it comes to social mobility. America also has a higher GDP per capita than almost anybody else

This is also interesting. They arent facts, just opinions.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159716/am...op-virtue.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    But semaphore....why hello kitty, now I always have a picture of my niece in my head, while reading your posts...
    The important question is, is your niece cute?

If not, then this is beyond the pale! How dare you sir!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidenx View Post
    America is in the top tier of countries when it comes to being free, despite the last 10 years of bad policy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2440620.html

This is a very respected project that was put together

America is also in the same position when it comes to social mobility. America also has a higher GDP per capita than almost anybody else

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159716/am...op-virtue.aspx
    God Defend New Zealand omfg! I knew the kiwis were good but I'm pleasantly surprised seeing them at the top.