Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

  1. #1941
    The Lightbringer Makabreska's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Orbis Terrarum
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's for developers and designers to present complex and novel gameplay mechanics. Audiences ought to not be looking for anything but.
    Okay, but you should still know what you want/expect.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing...

  2. #1942
    Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Okay, but you should still know what you want/expect.
    Yea, complex and novel gameplay mechanics. It stated right in the post you quoted.

  3. #1943
    Pit Lord Advent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Other Side.
    Posts
    2,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yea, complex and novel gameplay mechanics. It stated right in the post you quoted.
    I think we're looking for examples from other games that illustrate what you're alluding to.

  4. #1944
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I think we're looking for examples from other games that illustrate what you're alluding to.
    Well, that's not really relevant. I mean, how are you going to ameliorate my doubts if I name a few other games that are/were relatively well-designed complex gameplay implementations?

    If I say, Deathtrap Dungeon, Populous, or, Ultima Underworld, or Okami- that informs you of what basis of novel metaphor and complex gameplay present in Cyberpunk to the contra of... what? Genre and expectation are not relevant to the audience; in this case me, desire for robust gameplay mechanics. That is what one ought to want in every game, genre, and platform.

    I don't see it in the previews of Cyberpunk 2077 so far. I see something that I suspect is closer to The Outer Worlds than the boldness of gameplay in The Witcher 1 or 2. I do not view games as a value proposition; I'm playing this regardless of the outcome and your own enjoyment is of no importance to my own (potentially). Though speaking honestly, I do not see enough gameplay creativity here.

  5. #1945
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, that's not really relevant. I mean, how are you going to ameliorate my doubts if I name a few other games that are/were relatively well-designed complex gameplay implementations?

    If I say, Deathtrap Dungeon, Populous, or, Ultima Underworld, or Okami- that informs you of what basis of novel metaphor and complex gameplay present in Cyberpunk to the contra of... what? Genre and expectation are not relevant to the audience; in this case me, desire for robust gameplay mechanics. That is what one ought to want in every game, genre, and platform.

    I don't see it in the previews of Cyberpunk 2077 so far. I see something that I suspect is closer to The Outer Worlds than the boldness of gameplay in The Witcher 1 or 2. I do not view games as a value proposition; I'm playing this regardless of the outcome and your own enjoyment is of no importance to my own (potentially). Though speaking honestly, I do not see enough gameplay creativity here.
    I am not sure how you see that, but obviously that's subjective opinion for both of us. All I see is the "DNA" so to speak of Witcher 3, but in a cuberpunk/FPS setting. The only thing I don't recall much about is crafting in this game. But overall, from what I am seeing, if you liked the depth of Witcher 3 then this is more than enough to cover you.

  6. #1946
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I don't see it in the previews of Cyberpunk 2077 so far.
    I'm someone who isn't constantly looking for new ways of things being done, moreso just more things to experience what I know I like in.

    Example would be dark souls. I could play an infinite number of darksouls games without combat ever changing so long as the zones and enemy models are new. Weapons, armor, etc would be appreciated but not necessary. New spells? New stats? New interactions (other than just the pattern differences between enemies)? Nah.

    It's like a sport. There are only so many ways to interact with a ball. The "combat" aspects of sports never changes. It's the opponents. The slight differences in situation to situation that make them great. No new mechanics at all basically ever.

  7. #1947
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The gameplay looks shallow and simplistic. I am getting a real, "Width of an ocean, depth of a puddle" vibe from the promotional material and previews lately.

    It's for developers and designers to present complex and novel gameplay mechanics. Audiences ought to not be looking for anything but.
    I absolutely dont get that vibe though by watching that very same content. I see good gunplay, tons of combat optimization options (from what i understand you can mod every gun to a shotgun or a sniper depending on your wishes). Theres over 100 skill tree options . The RPG system is praised by the ones that got to play it: you actually have to play as your role. Being a hacker you cant just rofl stomp in with a gun but rather make use of hacking enemy NPcs and surroundings, etc.

    Things like braindance seem a bit gimmicky, as it will probably just be fast forward and toggle Some filters once you get used to it but meh. It has option for some complexity’s (like hacking a camera > npc field of vision > mirror view or something.

    Maybe im overhyped but from what ive seen it looks wide as an ocean and deep as a lake atleast.
    Last edited by Thereturn; 2020-10-17 at 06:33 AM.

  8. #1948
    Quote Originally Posted by Thereturn View Post
    I absolutely dont get that vibe though by watching that very same content. I see good gunplay, tons of combat optimization options (from what i understand you can mod every gun to a shotgun or a sniper depending on your wishes). Theres over 100 skill tree options . The RPG system is praised by the ones that got to play it: you actually have to play as your role. Being a hacker you cant just rofl stomp in with a gun but rather make use of hacking enemy NPcs and surroundings, etc.

    Things like braindance seem a bit gimmicky, as it will probably just be fast forward and toggle Some filters once you get used to it but meh. It has option for some complexity’s (like hacking a camera > npc field of vision > mirror view or something.
    I question how much any of that will matter. If there are 500 guns, for example, but 497 of them are no better or a different game mechanic from 3- why even bother with the affectation of 500?

    I feel the same about the "skills" in the game, I loved the layout and concept of the Attribute/Perk system. But if it's another limited linear implementation; meh. I think this might be even more limited given that there is a use/growth system to the combat/skills supposedly.

    I am not sure how you see that, but obviously that's subjective opinion for both of us. All I see is the "DNA" so to speak of Witcher 3, but in a cuberpunk/FPS setting. The only thing I don't recall much about is crafting in this game. But overall, from what I am seeing, if you liked the depth of Witcher 3 then this is more than enough to cover you.
    I see so little of Witcher 3 in here. I guess I have a notion of the quest/mission structure being Witcher-like in some part.

  9. #1949
    I am Murloc! Selastan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    IN THE MOUNTAINS
    Posts
    5,426
    So it's looking like I'm not gonna be able to get a PS5 by release, should I just get the PS4 version? Is it going to be inferior in any way other than graphics? I mean, all I have is an off-brand tv anyway.

  10. #1950
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    So it's looking like I'm not gonna be able to get a PS5 by release, should I just get the PS4 version? Is it going to be inferior in any way other than graphics? I mean, all I have is an off-brand tv anyway.
    Buy it on PC. Probably will be the best version.

  11. #1951
    I am Murloc! Selastan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    IN THE MOUNTAINS
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Buy it on PC. Probably will be the best version.
    My laptop isn't that great, either. I just barely hit the recommended specs, and for games like this I prefer a more casual controller-on-the-recliner style of play, anyway.

  12. #1952
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    So it's looking like I'm not gonna be able to get a PS5 by release, should I just get the PS4 version? Is it going to be inferior in any way other than graphics? I mean, all I have is an off-brand tv anyway.
    If you buy the ps4 version you get a digital ps5 copy free with it
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  13. #1953
    I am Murloc! Selastan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    IN THE MOUNTAINS
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    If you buy the ps4 version you get a digital ps5 copy free with it
    Holy shit that would be perfect. Is it a special offer from someone like Gamestop, or can I just preorder it on PSN and it will be saved to my account?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Still kind of worried about PS4 performance, though. Jedi: Fallen Order had some points where my launch-day PS4 started to show it's age and couldn't keep up. I hear Cyberpunk is really well optimized, but I've been cautious of newer games ever since.

  14. #1954
    Pandaren Monk Cren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Holy shit that would be perfect. Is it a special offer from someone like Gamestop, or can I just preorder it on PSN and it will be saved to my account?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Still kind of worried about PS4 performance, though. Jedi: Fallen Order had some points where my launch-day PS4 started to show it's age and couldn't keep up. I hear Cyberpunk is really well optimized, but I've been cautious of newer games ever since.
    Regarding optimization it's impossible for anyone here to sat how it will. The system requirements for PC are very low so odds are good that it will work well on PS4 or Xbox One, but no one can say for sure atm.

    You will however be able to upgrade it for free from PS4 or Xbox One to PS5 or XboX Series X for free in January (i think it was january atleast) with increased performance boost no matter where you buy the game.

  15. #1955
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Holy shit that would be perfect. Is it a special offer from someone like Gamestop, or can I just preorder it on PSN and it will be saved to my account?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Still kind of worried about PS4 performance, though. Jedi: Fallen Order had some points where my launch-day PS4 started to show it's age and couldn't keep up. I hear Cyberpunk is really well optimized, but I've been cautious of newer games ever since.
    If it's like TW3, it'll indeed be quite well optimized, especially when one considers the rather low system requirements for PC all things considered.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  16. #1956
    I am Murloc! Selastan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    IN THE MOUNTAINS
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    If it's like TW3, it'll indeed be quite well optimized, especially when one considers the rather low system requirements for PC all things considered.
    It's those low requirements that scare me. They are SO low that I feel like CDPR are lying. But if I get a free upgrade later, no harm in trying. At least they aren't making people pay twice like Rockstar did with GTA V. Or three times like GTA V.

  17. #1957
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Holy shit that would be perfect. Is it a special offer from someone like Gamestop, or can I just preorder it on PSN and it will be saved to my account?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Still kind of worried about PS4 performance, though. Jedi: Fallen Order had some points where my launch-day PS4 started to show it's age and couldn't keep up. I hear Cyberpunk is really well optimized, but I've been cautious of newer games ever since.
    Shouldn't matter what store. It's a deal from the developer with Sony. Long as its your same psn account
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  18. #1958
    I am Murloc! Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    5,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    It's those low requirements that scare me. They are SO low that I feel like CDPR are lying. But if I get a free upgrade later, no harm in trying. At least they aren't making people pay twice like Rockstar did with GTA V. Or three times like GTA V.
    I will say that after Witcher 3, CDPR have a lot of goodwill with me. They pretty much handled everything right in that game, including optimization. So we know they can do it, and I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. That said, it wouldn't be the first time a studio stumbled hard on the sequel, but at least they should be able to deliver on the programing.

    I still don't know how I feel about Cyberpunk overall though. I love the Witcher series, but the setting of 2077 just doesn't appeal to me in the same way as the Witcherverse. Slavic Mythology to what seems like pretty generic cyberpunk seems like a downgrade to me. Decent odds the game winds up being pretty good though.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

  19. #1959
    I am Murloc! Selastan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    IN THE MOUNTAINS
    Posts
    5,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    I will say that after Witcher 3, CDPR have a lot of goodwill with me. They pretty much handled everything right in that game, including optimization. So we know they can do it, and I am inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. That said, it wouldn't be the first time a studio stumbled hard on the sequel, but at least they should be able to deliver on the programing.

    I still don't know how I feel about Cyberpunk overall though. I love the Witcher series, but the setting of 2077 just doesn't appeal to me in the same way as the Witcherverse. Slavic Mythology to what seems like pretty generic cyberpunk seems like a downgrade to me. Decent odds the game winds up being pretty good though.
    Looks like we are the polar opposite on this then, lol. I HATED the Witcher III. It was like an RPG with one class, the story felt like a terrible jumping-on point, and the combat was trash. I remember very early on I ran into this ghost banshee thing and it absolutely murdered me, and I wasn't about to jump and roll around a first-level trash enemy like it was a Dark Souls boss. When I play these kinds of games, I like to build my character like an absolute tank, and Geralt takes hits about as well as a soccer player.

    Cyberpunk however...It looks like a true RPG with multiple builds, it's a giant leap in years from 2020 so the story and characters are fresh, and the setting is right up my alley. I can't put into words how perfect Night City is, and the fact you can trick out your own body is a real fantasy of mine. I can't wait for the day when I can get artificial eyes or arms IRL that work better than the real thing. The music is great, particularly how the songs they recorded for the in-universe band, Samurai. The design of the cars, the fashion of the citizens, the architecture of the buildings is amazing. And the guns...Never in my life I seen any fictional weapon look more satisfying to use than that shotgun that fires homing rounds, and tech shotguns fit use the same stats as my defense/body mod build! It's been a long time since I looked forward to a game this much.

  20. #1960
    I am Murloc! Thekri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Posts
    5,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Looks like we are the polar opposite on this then, lol. I HATED the Witcher III. It was like an RPG with one class, the story felt like a terrible jumping-on point, and the combat was trash. I remember very early on I ran into this ghost banshee thing and it absolutely murdered me, and I wasn't about to jump and roll around a first-level trash enemy like it was a Dark Souls boss. When I play these kinds of games, I like to build my character like an absolute tank, and Geralt takes hits about as well as a soccer player.
    I actually had the exact same initial reaction to the Witcher 3. I bought it on its first sale, in 2017, played it to about that same ghost boss, then quit it because I wasn't having fun. Reinstalled it a month ago, and found it one of the best games I have ever played. Geralt certainly isn't a tank, it isn't that kind of game, but if you prepare well the fights feel rewarding, and the writing is absolutely astounding. The first few hours are legit the worst in the game, especially if you aren't that familiar with the characters, because it does a crap job of introducing anything.
    "We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine." DJT- Jan 22, 2020
    "And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done." DJT- Feb 26, 2020
    “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.” DJT- Feb 27, 2020

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •