Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loppy88 View Post
    You guys/gals/apache helicopters think the game will run well on Lenovo Legion y520? Don't really have anything else, or the means to buy something better at the time.
    Yeah, should be fine. Slapping another 8gb of RAM in as you say wouldn't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Yeah, should be fine. Slapping another 8gb of RAM in as you say wouldn't hurt.
    Appreciate the confirmation, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    And thats enough to stand out as the best goty since god of war and for the years to come.
    Well as far as I'm concerned it's going to have to work overtime to beat Doom Eternal as 2020's best. Not the same kind of game quite obviously, but that one gave me and still gives me so much unadulterated fun that even a Witcher 3-quality RPG will face stiff competition. Hell from 2019 it would have to beat Disco Elysium and that's another tall order. Then again Witcher 3 wasn't even my GOTY 2015 albeit it was a very close call, that was Pillars of Eternity, so eh. I might just not like CDPR games quite as much as others do.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

7+ Year Old Account
    Don't mind (slightly) shorter campaign. My biggest issue with these big, open world games is that I try to go completionist route, trying to finish every side activity, but then getting bored half-way and abandoning game. Happened many times with Skyrim, F4, W3. Hope I can do better with CB2077.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Makabreska View Post
    Don't mind (slightly) shorter campaign. My biggest issue with these big, open world games is that I try to go completionist route, trying to finish every side activity, but then getting bored half-way and abandoning game. Happened many times with Skyrim, F4, W3. Hope I can do better with CB2077.
    I am on the exact same boat hehe. Give me a relatively shorter main quest and plenty of interesting side quests to keep me busy in a different way, depending on my mood. As such, I am perfectly fine with the announcement for this game.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little disappointed at the shorter length tbh. I tend to finish campaigns pretty quickly, then I'm left sitting around twiddling my thumbs until something worth playing comes around, which is usually only once a year, if that. I need longer games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey so I actually have something fun to do.

It is only going to be slightly shorter, not a lot shorter. This is all being driven by some clickbait post trying to generate views.

You are still going to be looking at 40 odd hours just for the main quest but with even more side quests and exploration to be had. There will be a lot to do besides the main quest.

amount of content in the game is not one of my concerns for this game. Theres bound to be tonnes of bounties etc and gang side content.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volatilis View Post
    amount of content in the game is not one of my concerns for this game. Theres bound to be tonnes of bounties etc and gang side content.
    And let's not forget that multiplayer is coming in the future. If it can provide half of entertainment it did for GTA5, we are set for years.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    I'm a little disappointed at the shorter length tbh. I tend to finish campaigns pretty quickly, then I'm left sitting around twiddling my thumbs until something worth playing comes around, which is usually only once a year, if that. I need longer games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey so I actually have something fun to do.
    Good news then, because witcher 3 averages 51 1/2 hours main campaign and assassin's creed odyssey averages 41 1/2 hours, and by the wording sounds like cyberpunk will be about 45 hours. Of course adding in side stuff doubles the numbers for all games. For anyone who doesn't know https://howlongtobeat.com is a great site for estimating playthrough times.

I mean, I understand why people did not finish the W3 - if you start doing all the side activities, yeah, 200h? Easy. Story get's forgotten at some point.

Though they probably should not have said anything about "shortening" it - the word is way too much speculative.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what the numbers for player completion on ANY "longer main story" (I.e. over 20-25 hours) game. I'd be willing to bet good money they are pretty low in the overall sale of the game.

I mean I've been a gamer for 30+ years at this point, and few and far between are the games I"ve actually FINISHED to completion. I've 70/80% a lot of games - but for many various reasons - end up never getting to the actual end. And that has stood for 20 hour games as well as 100+ hour games.

And I doubt its ever really significantly affected the success of most of these games. I doubt there are all these gamers out there who are thinking "Gee, if only Cyberpunk was 5 or 10 hours shorter I'd be all for it!" It certainly didn't make Witcher lose money, regardless of the "low numbers of completion."

So I'm not really sure what the point is or who this is suppose to benefit - to cut the hours from the main story? Unless I guess its the dev team deciding their time is better spent polishing the rest of the game (?) and they'd save the time being able to cut off XYZ hours of story they no longer have to 'polish'? I just don't get the 'why'.

And in saying this - i'm not at all concerned about Cyberpunk, itself. I'm sure there's still plenty of content and if it went from a 50 hour game toa 40 hour game that's still good value.

What I actually find concerning about this is more a commentary on where this makes games go from here. If other companies start thinking like this sounds like a good idea, going back over old games to find out what people did or did not play/spend time on/etc. - running focus groups and looking at metrics more and more often to determine their decision making rather than what makes a game last, or what makes it good, or what players really value.

Its just not a good trend for the genre - and so when a supposedly "great and smart" gaming company starts changing what makes them 'great and smart' in their decision making about their game - it does give me pause. It makes me wonder where the 'not so great decisions' could be going next (both for that company's future as well as the genre as a whole).

It would be more factual and more beneficial in that same 'statistic' to then contact all the gamers who never finished the game to ask why - as well as ask them if it affected their purchase decision. Because I bet it didn't - but cutting games down to try and hit some magic number of hours so people 'can play it to the end' - WILL affect purchase decisions.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    I wonder what the numbers for player completion on ANY "longer main story" (I.e. over 20-25 hours) game. I'd be willing to bet good money they are pretty low in the overall sale of the game.

I mean I've been a gamer for 30+ years at this point, and few and far between are the games I"ve actually FINISHED to completion. I've 70/80% a lot of games - but for many various reasons - end up never getting to the actual end. And that has stood for 20 hour games as well as 100+ hour games.

And I doubt its ever really significantly affected the success of most of these games. I doubt there are all these gamers out there who are thinking "Gee, if only Cyberpunk was 5 or 10 hours shorter I'd be all for it!" It certainly didn't make Witcher lose money, regardless of the "low numbers of completion."

So I'm not really sure what the point is or who this is suppose to benefit - to cut the hours from the main story? Unless I guess its the dev team deciding their time is better spent polishing the rest of the game (?) and they'd save the time being able to cut off XYZ hours of story they no longer have to 'polish'? I just don't get the 'why'.

And in saying this - i'm not at all concerned about Cyberpunk, itself. I'm sure there's still plenty of content and if it went from a 50 hour game toa 40 hour game that's still good value.

What I actually find concerning about this is more a commentary on where this makes games go from here. If other companies start thinking like this sounds like a good idea, going back over old games to find out what people did or did not play/spend time on/etc. - running focus groups and looking at metrics more and more often to determine their decision making rather than what makes a game last, or what makes it good, or what players really value.

Its just not a good trend for the genre - and so when a supposedly "great and smart" gaming company starts changing what makes them 'great and smart' in their decision making about their game - it does give me pause. It makes me wonder where the 'not so great decisions' could be going next (both for that company's future as well as the genre as a whole).

It would be more factual and more beneficial in that same 'statistic' to then contact all the gamers who never finished the game to ask why - as well as ask them if it affected their purchase decision. Because I bet it didn't - but cutting games down to try and hit some magic number of hours so people 'can play it to the end' - WILL affect purchase decisions.
    I think this is a bit of a false narrative mate. If you play Witcher 3, you will see that one of the big attractions of the game is actually the "filler" content. As others have said, if you decide to get engaged with that you can easily see you gametime shoot up to 150+ hours, on a game that the main story is 51h. So no, going for slightly shorter main stories doesn't cheapen the value of the product we are being served, but rather it allows the developers to offer (or keep offering in this case) plenty of high quality peripheral content that can substantially add value to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I think this is a bit of a false narrative mate. If you play Witcher 3, you will see that one of the big attractions of the game is actually the "filler" content. As others have said, if you decide to get engaged with that you can easily see you gametime shoot up to 150+ hours, on a game that the main story is 51h. So no, going for slightly shorter main stories doesn't cheapen the value of the product we are being served, but rather it allows the developers to offer (or keep offering in this case) plenty of high quality peripheral content that can substantially add value to the game.
    I can see the argument from both sides, however I can only comment for myself. I love Witcher 3 to death, however like Fkiolaris, I rarely finish games games, and I never finished Blood and Wine. Sometimes less is more, and as long as there is a lot of side content and the gameplay is good, it will be another 100+ hours game.

If anything, a lot of modern open world games have too much content, or filler disguised as content to pad game time. Witcher 3 has great side quests across the board, but the monster and treasure hunts quests tend to be very by the numbers and I could have done without them and the countless caches strewn about everywhere with loot that ceases to be relevant once you craft Witcher gear. Odyssey definitely had way too fucking much boring filler, to use an example, I ended up rushing through the main story and only finished the game after re-installing it twice. So Cyberpunk having a bit less is a plus as far as I'm concerned, at least as long as what content that exists is well made.

MMOs are where the filler nonsense can serve a purpose. Get that shit out of my single-player games.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    And I think you're assuming that cutting a main storyline means "more peripheral content."

Not what I said. Not what anyone's said. Not even my argument or addresses any of the points in my discussion. But that's ok.

But I do think its a huge assumption.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    And I think you're assuming that cutting a main storyline means "more peripheral content."

Not what I said. Not what anyone's said. Not even my argument or addresses any of the points in my discussion. But that's ok.

But I do think its a huge assumption.
    You were complaining that you don't like them using focus groups and retrospective analysis of their games in order to make decisions about their next games. Mate, you are on a webpage that is primarily dedicated to WoW. Do you know what Blizzard has been doing since the release of WoW? Using focus groups and analysis of their games to decide on the design of the future iterations of their game. You spend too long waiting to find a dungeon queue? Here's your LFD. You never try the raids? Here's your LFR. You find LFR too difficult? We'll remove most mechanics so that you can complete it. MAUs are down? here's another grind you have to do.

You are acting like CDPR have just discovered sliced bread or something, when this kind of practices have been around for more than a decade. Riot even has secondments for students to go and practice data analysis with them on LoL and they've been doing it for years. Sure, often enough companies can be tone-deaf and make the most idiotic decisions based on what's in front of them, but this has nothing to do with trying to use those tools to make a better game, but rather having people taking decisions when they don't know what they are looking at.

Okay, here's a few cyberpunk copies up, so you can grab the game for free, if you're lucky.
    ^^ No guarantees, it's a popular wishlist item after all.
    Tofu likes giving away stuff, so... cross your fingers and keep an eye on it.

Two on invite only community train:
    - https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/...cyberpunk-2077
    - https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/...cyberpunk-2077

Three on gleam.io:
    - https://gleam.io/cjpPA/gg-players-cy...-2077-giveaway

One on GGPlayers site:
    - https://ggplayers.com/giveaways/cybe...77-giveaway-4/ (still about 30 out of the 300 possible tickets available)

One or two on GGPlayers discord (see the site, I shouldn't link it here directly due to expiring links)
    And no doubt more coming in the next month.

I am soo looking forward to this one, I loved Witcher from these folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post

One or two on GGPlayers discord (see the site, I shouldn't link it here directly due to expiring links)
    And no doubt more coming in the next month.
    I joined the previous but the last link:

For the time being only Gmail and iCloud email accounts are supported for registration.
    Yeah, no, that's just dumb.
    -K