Thread: Cyberpunk 2077

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Things would be so much better if developers didn't have to consider consoles for financial viability.
    Things would be so much better if companies did the job they claimed they were doing.

~~~
    And no matter how 'less buggy' one's PC version is (as yes YMMV there) - its still the same broken wanted system, the same broken stat/math systems, same busted gear-mod system, etc.

I'm a "PC Master Race" all the way. Would love to have more straight-PC games. But that still doesn't make this game 'finished' on PC in any way. Just means they wouldn't have been removed from any stores and be possibly facing lawsuits or have as much negative press, true.

But that statement makes it sound like its the consoles fault, when its not. If the company Heads had actually stood by what they said on "We Release When Its Ready", none of this would have been an issue. If they had been honest last year about what it was going to take to actually be ready (PC/Console or otherwise) - most of this would not be an issue.

The issue is not "They had to include consoles."

I get your point about financial viability, and you explained in a later statement that you weren't 'blaming' consoles for the buggy state of the game. But making that one statement and leaving it like that - there's few other ways to read it (reading it as a stand alone statement, without further explanations).
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-01-14 at 08:07 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

you know its been a bad year when CD red screwd up more than even the other memed gaming companies ever did,besided bethesdas fallout 76 i cant think of anything that whent this bad for activision ea or ubisoft

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    Yea, that whole explanation basically said to me - "We released this a year early." I mean it works better on Next Gen now than on last gen (not talking about PC, just the new consoles). THIS IS THE NEXT GEN VERSION!(?). What version is that suppose to be? Even more intensive graphics?

And yea, bullshit they had no idea current-gen-consoles were so broken. "Weren't seeing these issues." Well then, obviously none of your testers were playing them on actual 'old gen' consoles. Either no one tested it on the 'current console' (at that time) and the company is really just that incompetent - or you're lying.

And wtf incompentent company do you have to be in 2020 to supposedly design your PC game first (so the console is the 'port' instead of the other way around) and yet put no way to reliably key bind commands for PC players? I'm leaning more and more to 'no they're just this incompetent and good at hiding it.' There are some basic things here this company has never really figured out (Witchers had the same control issues).

Transparent my arse. Half-transparent because you place blame on yourself and were honest about the "Next Gen Patch" not coming out the first half of this year. That's all the transparency I see. No acknowledgement of the busted 'wanted' system, busted stat/math system (stats don't add up in any logical way/aren't even what the numbers on the item say they are, mods don't work as described, etc.), among other things that are clearly only barely coded into the game.

Just more CEO double-talk, again parading as 'honesty'. You needed at least 6 months to another year to have this game ready on ANYTHING and you know it. Whether your investors were 'in' on the lie or not remains to be seen. But this game was no where close to being done. And if you REALLY didn't know that - then the company is just incompetent and will continue to be so. I hope the competent coders and devs get jobs at better companies, rather than continuing to be the support that allows CDPR to stay in business.

(And that's coming from someone who still wants to play the game on PC - but won't be spending top dollar to do so.)
    Currently PS5 is simply running the PS4 client with backwards compatibility. The PS5 version is not out yet.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Things would be so much better if companies did the job they claimed they were doing.
    Well, technical issues aside they still delivered a game that largely is well received and reviewed on PC. It might not have "live up to the hype" for many players, but CP2077 is right in line with many other PC titles of the same market interest.

I think there would have been less damage to CDPR as a company if they had just released a "7.5-8.5" PC game than the entire mess that has been thus far. People would have still been disappointed by this or that, but that is common among many games. That means nothing.

But that statement makes it sound like its the consoles fault, when its not.
    It is not anyone's fault but CDPR. CDPR made and delivered a poorly performing product on various systems.

Reading any more in what I said as a kind of 'diss' on consoles or console players is defensive and personal to the reader. I have consoles, enjoy playing consoles, and have played CP2077 on PS4 Pro, PS5, and Stadia. I played it on PC and GeForce Now as well.

By CDPR's own admission in that video, their co-founder said CDPR wanted to make the PC version great and work downward from there. They admit it was harder to do than anticipated and did not do a very good job. However, the co-founder of CDPR also says they are "proud" of the PC version.

PC and Stadia versions of CP2077 seem to be the best-reviewed critically and commercially. Though that is not to say the game is flawless, that's an absurd notion anyway, there is a marked difference in the reviews of the PC/Stadia versions of the game from other platforms.

As I said previously, there probably would have been less damage to CDPR had they just released a "7.5-8.5" PC game then have tried to bite off more than they could chew. It is obvious they did bite off more than they could chew at this point and CDPR admits to having failed at doing the game well across these other platforms specfically.

Here is the deal with the video and Cyberpunk/CDPR.

The video was a non-apology and him trying to shift the blame to old gen and QA tester's. Both excuses are bullshit because the issues in all versions of the game would be seen and reported by QA testers. The excuse about last gen hardware is also bullshit. The game did nothing amazing in scope that hasn't already been done by games like Watch_Dog's Legion and Red Dead Redemption 2.

There is literally a setting on the PC version that takes into account mechanical hard drives. The PS4/XB1 is literally custom built PC's and the excuse of "its consoles" is fucken dumb. This game was announced before the PS4/XB1 was even out. This video was not for you and me. It was for investors and for them to try to protect their ass because they are being sued in many countries including their own.

This video was a non-apology. Right at the start he says they take responsibility and proceeds to blame other things.

Game should have been delayed a year if not longer. They have openly admitted in a investor call they was under no pressure to release it when they did. To say he didn't expect this to happen was bullshit. They would have been better off not releasing a video at all.

Rule of life: When shit hits the fan shut the fuck up.

(To add I am talking about Management and Higher ups, I legit feel for the dev's.)
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2021-01-14 at 10:04 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Rule of life: When shit hits the fan shut the fuck up.
    If you're charged of a crime and find yourself in court sure.

But we're talking about a business here and customers, shareholders (yes lets all pretend we care about the shareholders because it helps our points tally right?) dont just accept silence as you stare at them blank in the face.

Companies have come back from bigger. You dont need to stay silent, you just need to actually back up what you say with action. IE rolling out big patches for free and setting expectations correctly.

That doesnt mean you need a timeline like anthem, or constant public apologies like destiny 2. But you need to say something, silence isnt a good response to a failed product.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    --snip--
    Ya but you can agree that putting out a non-apology video like he did just makes shit worse.

He didn't really address anything and even deflected blame to the QA Tester's and last gen having mechanical hard drives. On top of that their timeline actually didn't help them ether since it shows the big fix's seem to be delayed and current gen won't have its patch until the 2nd half of the year.

This video did nothing for them when it comes to the gaming community. Almost every outlet is calling it out for what it is, A non-apology that is deflecting blame. Maybe it pleased shareholders but I even doubt that.

The funny part is on the twitter post there is QA testers calling out his bullshit as well.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya but you can agree that putting out a non-apology video like he did just makes shit worse.

He didn't really address anything and even deflected blame to the QA Tester's and last gen having mechanical hard drives. On top of that their timeline actually didn't help them ether since it shows the big fix's seem to be delayed and current gen won't have its patch until the 2nd half of the year.

This video did nothing for them when it comes to the gaming community. Almost every outlet is calling it out for what it is, A non-apology that is deflecting blame. Maybe it pleased shareholders but I even doubt that.

The funny part is on the twitter post there is QA testers calling out his bullshit as well.
    I hope QA testers are angry over this. There is absolutely no way in hell their QA team didn't catch how much of a shit sandwich the game was on a technical level, especially on consoles. Obviously the execs just didn't give a shit and shipped the game for those sweet, sweet holiday sales. To then blame their testers is a poor move indeed. CDPR has a hill to climb to get their previous darling reputation back, and they started off on the wrong foot.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I hope QA testers are angry over this. There is absolutely no way in hell their QA team didn't catch how much of a shit sandwich the game was on a technical level, especially on consoles. Obviously the execs just didn't give a shit and shipped the game for those sweet, sweet holiday sales. To then blame their testers is a poor move indeed. CDPR has a hill to climb to get their previous darling reputation back, and they started off on the wrong foot.
    I laughed my ass off when he said "it wasn't that bad when we tested it" when Digital Foundry pulls up absolutely horrid performance and glitches in the first hour of gameplay. They either don't have testers and lie out of their ass or ignored the testers. 4 dudes testing the game over 6 different platforms aren't finding stuff legitimate QA testers aren't lol...
    Last edited by Tech614; 2021-01-15 at 12:17 AM.

~~~
    And no matter how 'less buggy' one's PC version is (as yes YMMV there) - its still the same broken wanted system, the same broken stat/math systems, same busted gear-mod system, etc.

I'm a "PC Master Race" all the way. Would love to have more straight-PC games. But that still doesn't make this game 'finished' on PC in any way. Just means they wouldn't have been removed from any stores and be possibly facing lawsuits or have as much negative press, true.

But that statement makes it sound like its the consoles fault, when its not. If the company Heads had actually stood by what they said on "We Release When Its Ready", none of this would have been an issue. If they had been honest last year about what it was going to take to actually be ready (PC/Console or otherwise) - most of this would not be an issue.

The issue is not "They had to include consoles."

I get your point about financial viability, and you explained in a later statement that you weren't 'blaming' consoles for the buggy state of the game. But making that one statement and leaving it like that - there's few other ways to read it (reading it as a stand alone statement, without further explanations).
    I don't agree. There is always a point at which hardware can no longer effectively handle software. An x386 would not be able to handle most modern AAA games (I say most to allow for potential exceptions). While this is an extreme example, I honestly believe the decision to release the game on so many platforms contributed to problems in their release schedule. If the game had been released only on PC initially, with perhaps a later release on Next-gen consoles, it would have likely been polished to the state that was promised.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I laughed my ass off when he said "it wasn't that bad when we tested it" when Digital Foundry pulls up absolutely horrid performance and glitches in the first hour of gameplay. They either don't have testers and lie out of their ass or ignored the testers. 4 dudes testing the game over 6 different platforms aren't finding stuff legitimate QA testers aren't lol...
    Yeah, I don't believe that for a second either. It's that or there's absolutely horrible communication between the QA team and the rest of the devs, which would be just as bad. For a game this big, this hotly anticipated, with so many systems and so much attention put on them, there's literally no valid excuses for its technical state at launch, saying that as someone who actually likes it a lot and was on the lucky end of bugs, glitches and broken quests.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by neocount View Post
    I don't agree. There is always a point at which hardware can no longer effectively handle software. An x386 would not be able to handle most modern AAA games (I say most to allow for potential exceptions). While this is an extreme example, I honestly believe the decision to release the game on so many platforms contributed to problems in their release schedule. If the game had been released only on PC initially, with perhaps a later release on Next-gen consoles, it would have likely been polished to the state that was promised.
    Scaling down platforms would help, but the problem isn't last-gen hardware specifically. We have plenty of cross-gen games that launched just fine, and this game was in development throughout the entire last generation. That's a big problem with them developing around high-spec PC's and trying to scale down unsuccessfully, because they knew what hardware limitations and bottlenecks they had to work with and ignored them. Which is like...really, really dumb. There were a lot of early decisions that clearly came back to bite them in the ass in a big way.

That video explanation didn't really have the effect they wanted.

All I saw is a man owning up to his greed, if he and the other board members were having the final say they should of delayed the console versions until they were ready. For them to say they saw visible improvements and were seeing them day by day right up until December 8 where they released the console preview codes with a release on December 10 says to me it needs more time and yet they pulled the trigger, and I hope they don't use the excuse about working from home, if that's the case then again delay it. But with next-gen consoles releasing and Christmas they did the cash grab and it majorly backfired on them and I'm glad it did.

Outside of that tbh the game is not what they promised and I really don't think people should defend them on that either, I personally haven't touched the game since finishing it on December 18 having done everything, at least for me it really is not a game with that much replay-ability in its current iteration. Playing it with a new build is not enough variation for it to be worth spending another 30-40 hours on it, nor are the very limited choices.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...strous-rollout

"We made Witcher 3 it will work out"

L O L

Reading that Bloomberg article it looks like the development was Anthem all over again. I just don't get with their philosophy of we'll release it when its ready did they get it so wrong, the team working on it clearly felt it would be late 2021/2022 release so for them to say April 2020 initially they thought it a joke and them removing features still didn't help.

Even as the timeline looked increasingly unrealistic, management said delaying wasn’t an option. Their goal was to release Cyberpunk 2077 before new consoles from Microsoft and Sony, expected in the fall of 2020, were even announced.
    And that is the worst thing they could of done, the consoles will be around for 10+ years whats the god damn rush to get it out for release.

Heck customers I imagine would even understand if they delayed it indefinitely while explaining performance issues and development issues and offered any refunds then and they'll indeed release it simultaneously when its ready.

Lieing to investors and it's customer base shows the heads of the company are no better than any other game developer.
    Last edited by AidanJLowe; 2021-01-16 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Iconic moment.
    Some engineers realized that Cyberpunk was too complex of a game to run well on the seven-year-old consoles, with its city full of bustling crowds and hulking buildings. They said management dismissed their concerns, however, citing their success in pulling off The Witcher 3.
    "it's ok guys you can do it! Great job guys love you!"
    *heads out to golf with Thai transvestites*

10+ Year Old Account
    Ultimately what's really disappointing is that he stood there and said they're proud of what they delivered on PC. Sigh...

I'm not even talking about performance and bugs, but the underlying game is far from what was promised, with a long list of features CDPR showed off and said would be in the game but simply aren't.
    At its core Cyberpunk 2077 would be a great looking action adventure game with a decent story and very limited RPG elements (dialogue options rarely matter at all etc), but as an open world game it just falls flat on its face. Night City is pretty scenery but nothing more, it's all shallow and static and the AI is dumb as rocks. All that talk about a "living, breathing Night City" and NPC's going about their day etc was all just talk, nothing of that exists in the game.

Additional info cut from the Bloomberg article: https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...26730481922050

--Veteran devs from other companies were shocked at CDPR's free-for-all production. One example: if someone needed a shader, they'd make it, with no pipeline in place to determine whether someone had already made one w/ the same function

--One CDPR developer told their manager that they didn't want to work overtime, as their CEO had said would be OK. Fine, their manager said, but one of their other coworkers would just have to work extra hours to make up for them. Several other developers shared similar stories

--A few non-Polish staffers shared stories about coworkers using Polish in front of them, which violated company rules. Made them feel ostracized, they said... were their coworkers talking shit about them? Combined with crunch and low salaries, this led quite a few expats to quit

--Last year, when CDPR explained that it shares 10% of profits with staff, gamers and pundits assumed the devs would get rich. Adrian Jakubiak said he made around $400/month when he started as a tester in 2015. In 2018, as a junior programmer, he said he was making ~$700/month

--If you're wondering just how much Cyberpunk 2077 changed over the past decade: well, up until 2016, it was a third-person game. Features that were originally envisioned (wall-running, flying cars, car ambushes) were cut along the way (not atypical in game development)

--And if you're wondering why the police system in Cyberpunk 2077 is so janky: well, it was all done at the last minute. As is evident by the final product, it was unclear to some of the team why they were trying to make both an RPG and a GTA with a fraction of Rockstar's staff

If anything here is true it seems abusive and gross mismanagement. Where is the professionalism? Jeez Louise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Missmanagement in a big game? or even the games industry?

SHOCKER!

And yet the actual mismanager culprit never gets accounted for.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi