Deleted

[Resto] druid healing tips!

Hey guys!
    I have just recently started to play my restoration druid again as an alt, and despite the fact that they are not topping the meters I always like playing it for a change.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips good tips on how to keep your overhealing down on and maybe some good tips for very effective healing in general?

Keep harmony and LB up, use SM on as much as possible, don't spam RJ or WG mindlessly (old cata model), innervate early and often, use tree of life and LB blanket and use procs.

Yes, use Tree of Life in a fight as often as possible and innervate early! We go OOM fast if we blanket rejuv like we used to! Also try to SM and Wild Mushroom where there are clumps of people

The tips mentioned above (no rejuv spamming, life bloom etc.)
    My way to keep overhealing down is not healing people that are above 70%, some people may disagree with me cos I've seen a lot of drood healers cast none stop, but I've always believed in not wasting mana on those who doesn't need it :P

On an off note, I don't find us weak at all, I mean we are not the strongest but certainly not weak. I heal a decent amount, same as the pally and shammy I heal with. I think just cos we don't have many bust heals doesn't mean we are weak. But anyways, here are my tips

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantabi View Post
    On an off note, I don't find us weak at all, I mean we are not the strongest but certainly not weak. I heal a decent amount, same as the pally and shammy I heal with. I think just cos we don't have many bust heals doesn't mean we are weak. But anyways, here are my tips
    The fact that you heal the same is a bad thing, in terms of druids being in a good place. If resto druids output doesn't significantly beat the other healers there is no point in bringing them to higher end raiding for the simple fact that we lack utility / raid wide mitigation, not to mention tranqs slow ramp up time.

To the OP, change talents depending on the fight. By that I mean on fights with constant aoe damage take Soul of the forest over Incarnation and couple sotf proc with WG. Incarnation on others to use as a mana conservation cd. Try and keep 100% uptime on lifebloom and harmony (suggest investing some time into weak auras to track them). And generally its just about mana conservation, dont rejuve aimlessly, wg, or regrowth spam and try and use innervate when you hit 70-75% for its full effect. Make full use of OOC procs and you should be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Ayen View Post
    The fact that you heal the same is a bad thing, in terms of druids being in a good place. If resto druids output doesn't significantly beat the other healers there is no point in bringing them to higher end raiding for the simple fact that we lack utility / raid wide mitigation, not to mention tranqs slow ramp up time.

To the OP, change talents depending on the fight. By that I mean on fights with constant aoe damage take Soul of the forest over Incarnation and couple sotf proc with WG. Incarnation on others to use as a mana conservation cd. Try and keep 100% uptime on lifebloom and harmony (suggest investing some time into weak auras to track them). And generally its just about mana conservation, dont rejuve aimlessly, wg, or regrowth spam and try and use innervate when you hit 70-75% for its full effect. Make full use of OOC procs and you should be fine
    I would actually call you out on the lack of utility. We have 2 personal survival cooldowns Might of Ursoc and Barkskin. We have dash and displacer beast to get out of tight spots. We have Roar to speed boost everyone near us. Symbiosis gives a rediculous amount of utility anything from spark soaking to spirit walkers tranq or an extra roar to a warrior. We still have probably the most on demand battle res unless you have a boomkin in your raid or a feral. Tranq is still good I grant you it isn't a patch on shaman cooldowns but its useful in a pinch especially if you grab spirit walkers. Lets not forget tree of life. TOL can heal things that nothing else can handle it's more than a bit of a mana suck if you have to use it like that but shit happens and the mushroom change actually adds a bit of muscle to our burst aoe that we did need.

We may not have a magic bubble but we have way too many clickys and shinys to play with to say we lack utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastest View Post
    I would actually call you out on the lack of utility. We have 2 personal survival cooldowns Might of Ursoc and Barkskin. We have dash and displacer beast to get out of tight spots. We have Roar to speed boost everyone near us. Symbiosis gives a rediculous amount of utility anything from spark soaking to spirit walkers tranq or an extra roar to a warrior. We still have probably the most on demand battle res unless you have a boomkin in your raid or a feral. Tranq is still good I grant you it isn't a patch on shaman cooldowns but its useful in a pinch especially if you grab spirit walkers. Lets not forget tree of life. TOL can heal things that nothing else can handle it's more than a bit of a mana suck if you have to use it like that but shit happens and the mushroom change actually adds a bit of muscle to our burst aoe that we did need.

We may not have a magic bubble but we have way too many clickys and shinys to play with to say we lack utility.
    Raid Utility spells are things like Spirit Link Totem, Tremor Totem, Devotion Aura, Barrier, etc. Tranquility, the only Raid Utility spell available to Druids is the weakest healing cooldown for MoP.

If you look at fights like bladelord or lei shi druiid cooldowns are at least as valuable. I will grant you the push button cooldowns shamans get are rediculous and pallys have a lot of utility too but its all situational.

I will never claim a druid can do half what a shammy could on Vizer but they can't match us on a fight like Garalon. I play with several other really good healers all with multiple ranking parses and despite everything there arent that many fights were I get beaten by much. The exception is 3 healing fights that don't need it or if the disc priest frontloads on me and blocks all my hots.

My biggest gripe actually is that some healers can do decent dps and still manage to hang in there on the heals. If anything I find things like attonment to be the biggest problem we face. Heart of the wild is awesome i love it for areanas and the ohh shit healers dps or we are gonna hit enrage moments but its not attonment.

Keep LB up always

resist the urge to rejuv blanket

practice, practice and more practice. learn when your hots are enough, or when you need direct heals over the top (swiftmend, free regrowths, NS)

never cast nourish. rarely cast HT (though i'm not even sure HT is better than glyphed regrowth with NS)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastest View Post
    I will never claim a druid can do half what a shammy could on Vizer but they can't match us on a fight like Garalon. I play with several other really good healers all with multiple ranking parses and despite everything there arent that many fights were I get beaten by much. The exception is 3 healing fights that don't need it or if the disc priest frontloads on me and blocks all my hots.
    I completely disagree with you on the garalon statement (assuming your talking about hc) Constant aoe damage without any breaks in it are where resto druids are particularly weak at the moment as mana is so tight. Just look at the logs for garalon 10 hc, druids dropping to the lowest HPS on a fight where our hots are not clipped simply because of mana issues. Resto shamans are far greater for the raid to have on garalon because of Healing rain through crashes, two instant pop cds to lay down and their mana retension. It may be controversial for me to say Resto druids are poor at fights like this at the moment and you may not agree but from personal experience with doing it with a Hpala, I healed 10k less hps than him (85k and 95k respectively) though I got rank 20th at the time and he got rank 130th?

Not really fair to bring up hpally on garalon. Broken spec is broken, 100k hps and virtually no mana cost... But regardless, don't forget about Ironbark. It's not much when compared to pain supp but it's a much needed external cd that we can use on tanks in rough parts. 2 min cd is nice so make good use of it! Otherwise what everyone else here has said are the biggest tips and tricks. If you're set to use tranq start casting it a second early so that the heals go out when the damage comes, if you're late on casting tranq it can cause problems cause of the ramp up.

Oh, and make sure you use the minor glyph for tree form. I liked WotLK healing as a tree so much more than using as a cd and you should too!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purrberry View Post
    Not really fair to bring up hpally on garalon.
    I could have brought up any class for garalon seeing as druids are currently the worst on that fight. I was simply using that as an example from my personal experience.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot for all the great tips! This was kind a what I had expected and yes not spamming RJ is tough, but well I just gotta get used to it ;D
    Looking forward to our new mushrooms in 5.2, that will be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mikloeN View Post
    Thanks a lot for all the great tips! This was kind a what I had expected and yes not spamming RJ is tough, but well I just gotta get used to it ;D
    Looking forward to our new mushrooms in 5.2, that will be fun!
    Yea, I always raided as a warrior in previous xpacs and raided as resto druid for the first time ever the other night, was MUCH harder to not go OOM than i expected. Going to need to work on my discipline with that!

Swiftmend felt really weak too, compared to dungeons.