Thread: Wow Reboot idea

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piin View Post
    As for resources... there are TONS of nearly dead servers at this point. Merge a few low pop servers... POW! you have a server available.

I'm AMAZING at problem solving. yeah me.
    So force everyone on a lower pop server to be on this special kind of server? Yeah that'll work.

This is a fairly old idea that's been posted many times before as a thinly veiled attempt at "classic" servers.

The simple fact of the matter is that the game has changed drastically between each expansion, with the cumulative changes meaning that something like this would simply be a very large drain in resources to set up.

I want to tickle you irl and put a whip cream pie in your face.

I'm sorry but did no one else burst out laughing at this?

OT: Short-term it might be fun and very active for a while. Long-term the population and activity would decay and have next to no one on them.

What can I say? I'm an optimist.

are a significant percentage of posters on this site robots? *robot voice* "no. cannot happen. will not happen. does not compute."

Valid ideas are born in strange ways my friend. As for needing Blizzard to do it or not, of course you are correct. I can turn off xp and run the raids. Some people do it. I'm thinking it would be fun to have a server where that is the design. Kind of like an RP server groups people who dig RP. or a PVP server, etc. Frankly I think a lot of you just need to eat a Snickers and cheer up.
    No, I'm not a 'robot' nor do I need 'cheering up' as you put it, but I am perfectly able to see what is realistic and what isn't.

But thank you for assuming the type of person I am, or not.

The resources and ability already exist for you to do this, so all you are asking for is Blizzard to limit the choices of everyone else that happens to be on this 'special' server you want, it's neither a good idea to do that in any business model, nor will it happen this side of the next millennium.

10+ Year Old Account
    I kept thinking about this after I posted the first time, I still would support it to some extent. It would be like a traditional RPG, beat the last baddie to move onto the next expansion. But I just can't see that happening now. There would really be no point atm unless they could magically slip in a way to do this without server merging and or making a new server. Unless that was the only way. But it would just take too much time right now to redo all this.

The only way I can see this happening would be after MoP into the next expansion, they release LFR for older content. Maybe they can make an option at the character creation screen for the option to go through all the content to get to the next? (Dungeons, LFR, etc). People atm want to get to the end game as fast as possible so it just doesn't seem likely at this stage in WoW. Even if it were to happen, it would be really tough to form a group normally or with LFR to progress in older content.

Like I said earlier, in an earlier post, I really like the idea. It's something that feels like it's missing in the current day MMO generation. I'm really trying to help you OP the best I can. I may have ideas, but that's all I can really share. The truth is, this won't happen.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

10+ Year Old Account
    Said this many times, go play a private server and you'll be back on a live server within 20mins
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

People can disable XP gain until they complete as for now. Just go after 39 other people and start level 1 chars on a low population realm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if they did the servers would be abandoned a week later because "everyone" (not even 1% would be for this idea) would realize just how bad vanilla was.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    So force everyone on a lower pop server to be on this special kind of server? Yeah that'll work.
    wow. you're not getting what i'm saying I guess. you merge 2 low pops into one server. That server remains a traditional one is not forced to do anything. The server which is now empty becomes the new project server. WOO HOO! I'm awesome all over again. Except that was my idea from the beginning.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I bet you're tons of fun to be around irl. Do you really need to post that as a response as opposed to just thinking it and moving on? lol.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 01:20 AM ----------

you hear that argument a lot. what exactly is being wasted? a server costs too much to operate? tweaking a few health pools is too intensive? i doubt it.
    You asked people for their thoughts then attack the guy for sharing his, also if you think the game is simply servers and few lines of code to update then i get why you think this to be an even remotely feasible idea....it would however not only take much much more work to do than this but would be immediately followed by the whining about rehashed content.
    To clarify my thoughts on your proposal - would take way to much time and effort to just get yelled at in return for something very few would even remotely want...so not should not and will not happen

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    No, I'm not a 'robot' nor do I need 'cheering up' as you put it, but I am perfectly able to see what is realistic and what isn't.

But thank you for assuming the type of person I am, or not.

The resources and ability already exist for you to do this, so all you are asking for is Blizzard to limit the choices of everyone else that happens to be on this 'special' server you want, it's neither a good idea to do that in any business model, nor will it happen this side of the next millennium.
    nah. you're a robot.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 03:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    You asked people for their thoughts then attack the guy for sharing his, also if you think the game is simply servers and few lines of code to update then i get why you think this to be an even remotely feasible idea....it would however not only take much much more work to do than this but would be immediately followed by the whining about rehashed content.
    To clarify my thoughts on your proposal - would take way to much time and effort to just get yelled at in return for something very few would even remotely want...so not should not and will not happen
    curious how you object to what you think is me "attacking" and ignore those who are rude initially. I know I know. Part of the no fun, no laughing club. Join the other guys on the couch over there. Tastes.... bland.

This feels like a rehashed "bring back Vanilla" thread. Vanilla was good in hindsight, but that's all it is now. People are far too jaded from everything from basically BC onward; flying mounts, LFR, heirlooms for alts, dps rotation mentality, the list goes on. One day Blizzard might re-release the old expansions as a farewell gift once they choose to stop creating WoW or they might make the coding open source so that private servers can adapt it and play it as it was.

this would work in the distance future when the LAST raid in wow is released and most ppl cleared it then they <might> do this idea

nah. you're a robot.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 03:41 AM ----------

curious how you object to what you think is me "attacking" and ignore those who are rude initially. I know I know. Part of the no fun, no laughing club. Join the other guys on the couch over there. Tastes.... bland.
    Who is the one being rude?

Please show me one rude thing I said to you, now compare that to the number of things you have said that are downright rude.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose it would be an interesting idea if there were any chance that it would happen. Being that there's no chance at all that it will in the foreseeable future, it's sort of pointless to discuss to any extent. Server merges aren't going to happen either.

<switching to my chosen moderator mode of writing>

Have fun. Don't flame one another and for the OP, if you start a thread on a forum you'll just have to accept that some people will do what you call drive-by answers. Better to ignore them and concentrate on the ones that you can engage with.

Doing anything else is a good way to get this closed rather quickly.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-01-11 at 04:03 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Ok OP, from the tone of most of your posts it seems like you are not wanting to have a serious discussion about this, however I will take the bait and give it a shot anyway...

First of all your idea isn't the problem, its the logistics and reality of implementing the idea that people are questioning. Frankly any idiot can come up with wonderful ideas but the world just doesn't run on ideas alone. Most people have responded that your idea is actually an interesting one but that it just won't happen, we know it won't happen because blizzard themselves have said it will never happen. Its got nothing to do with people being boring or whatever other childish things you want to call out, its just reality.

The only way it can happen is if someone makes a private server, which as far as i am aware they do exist although obviously not officially supported by blizzard and they are generally fixed at one specific patch so they would not have scope for progression through the expansions as you suggest.

Which then brings one of the bigger logistical problems to solve, how exactly do you manage a pure vanilla/bc/whatever expansion you want? All the changes that have gone in to the game from reps, to quests, professions, talents and abilities, attunement, even instances being changed or removed completely. Do you have people playing at level 60 using the MoP talent and abilities? Would original instances exist as they were in vanilla? For the purist experience of old wow you really need to play it as it was back then, but how would you then progress through different expansions when things get drastically changed each patch? These are just some of the issues that would need to be addressed and you can be sure that you could never come up with a solution that would keep everyone happy. As people have suggested if you just want to play at level 60 with the game mechanics as they are now then you can do that already, there are in fact twinking guilds dedicated to running old content at appropriate levels, although as I mentioned due to using current game mechanics at low levels it is in fact completely broken and nothing at all like what the game was originally.

TLDR; Good idea but it won't happen because blizz said they are not interested in doing it ever. (just like most people have said already that you responded to with petty insults)

At least one realm like this would be really nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always find the Vanilla and/or BC server requests really interesting. I know some people hate the idea and others fawn over it, but here's a bit of a curveball.

What if Blizzard offered a special competition server where everything started at lvl 1. No transfers. No heirlooms.
    Those servers already exist.. They are labelled "New Players"..
    You level a toon to 60 and then XP automatically turns off until you complete all lvl 60 raids. When you complete them all, a quest opens up that takes you to outland. Same thing at level 70. You're required to go through all raid content without skipping any bosses to get a questline that allows you to go to Northrend. Repeat at level 80. Repeat at level 85. Repeat at 90.

This could just be a special type of server for people that wish they could run old content at appropriate levels. By joining the server, you'd know there would be people wanting to do that content in order to progress rather than skipping it. It wouldn't be on normal Wow servers so people could continue as usual on those.

Blizzard could tune some of the old raids to accommodate newer classes and abilities. I think it would be fun. Would be fun to see some server firsts on that server as people go from 1-90.

Thoughts? love? hate? meh?
    The rest will never happen...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Would it be based on the current patch for the true endgame? If so, then ultimately the experience will never properly encapsulate what the original progression felt like because basically you're playing as a half finished class, rather than having all the tools possible (at the time), and the nostalgia of progressing will be reduced, which seems to be the chief reasoning for this idea.

If it wouldn't be the current patch, which patch for which expansion?

How can they have multiple patches for the same client?

These ultimately are why things like this don't work. And because (I'm guesstimating here) there'd be few people who would want to do this, it would be a waste of time and resources. I mean they reduced CURRENT content difficulty (relatively speaking) because they didn't want all their time and effort only being seen by a minority of the playerbase. I don't see why they'd re-balance OLD content (or at the least recode everything to ensure that you couldn't progress like that) for another small group of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What's the point of that when you could just do that yourself, now? You could level from 1 - 60 without heirlooms, turn off your XP, do the raids, turn it back on, and move on to TBC.
    Pretty much this
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.