Thread: Wow Reboot idea

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    My old 486 is still there

May i remind you that wow-auto-update system was not implemented in vanila?
    And really, it is NOT hard to change the ip of an update server.
    It's ok to put stubs to pieces of code which refer to bnet2.0 or armory.
    This is still a week of work at longest.
    All the client-side update files are still available.

I already pointed out that

(They also nerfed most of the content, as of now)
    yes but making it so clients then have to update the game manually when they already have a system in place? thats just foolish. It isnt hard to change the IP address of the update sever just means you need a second one.

They did add an auto patcher into the game my memory isnt the best I remember having to download them and put it on usb stick to give to friends. We had bad connections back then.

Its going to be a lot of work hardware side to put new servers in just for this. It would be far easier and more practical to just setup a separate server with some restrictions on it rather than forcing updates (remember bandwidth costs money so making people re-download content thats really not needed isnt a great idea)

either way they will never do this. I wouldnt mind a hardcore server but im more than happy with whats on offer. As suggested its easier to get a few people and lock the xp.

I would prefer the old 40man raids get re-tuned for 25man/10man now that'd make more sense for this idea ;p

Deleted
    It was a possible option back in endTBC/Wotlk, but class mechanics revamps alone made this option impossible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Waste of time and resources.
    I whish people would start seeing this.

Just turn off exp at 60 and do this. It's already possible in game.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2013-01-11 at 12:10 PM.

Didn't EQ do this?

It could work, but it would need to be balanced properly at every endgame tier. Assuming they decided to do it, they'd have to rework talents, glyphs, etc. to keep with the progression. Whether it'd be worth the resources, I couldn't say, but it would make for a very interesting race.

The server would be empty inside a month. No.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    You don't know it. I'm sure they did not, nobody does. Yet we'll never find out, because it's obvious they're too lazy to mess with it
    Yawn, the amount of people that say they're too lazy to do it is staggering, You're just too lazy to make a new game yourself, and do all the work, Amiright?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Waste of time and resources.

My thoughts exactly

rejected over and over again by blizzard.

while i suspect its prob somewhere in backups. blizzard has said they dont even have the code base for just classic wow anymore.

and as i've said before i only support this if every single player gets banned the first time someone asks for a bug fix or Quality of life change.

to many people see classic and bc through rose colored glasses due to fond memorys. but they either never experinced or just dont remember all the really bad things that have been resolved/we dont have to deal with anymore

Deleted
    Rebooting wow would be a waste of time and money. I doubt alot of players would play it

As you can get your own xp turned on and off for the paltry sum of 10g nothing to stop you and your friends who wish to doing this without adding more stuff for Blizz to maintain when they could be doing stuff for the majority of players who want to progress in the game and with their characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting concept, OP, but highly unlikely to happen for much the same reason it's unlikely to get other specialized server types: the development time and resources poured into that server will ultimately take away manpower, time, money, and warm bodies from development of the main game, especially the endgame. Furthermore, Blizzard's philosophy since day one has been to keep the game moving forward, in terms of accessibility, content, and story, rather than backwards. Creating a specialized server type for what could either be a decent chunk of players or just a couple hundred or a couple thousand players isn't a gamble Blizzard has been keen on taking, because of the very real chance it could end up a ghost town and just end up a drain on resources to keep it up and running.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

I'd love that.
    "staph whinning kid if u dont like pvp go to a potato pve server so u can play against bots" -Armiger

Deleted
    Serves no purpose at all, and the time spent making that happen could be used to make better coffee around the office.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by khalltusk View Post
    I would prefer the old 40man raids get re-tuned for 25man/10man now that'd make more sense for this idea ;p
    interesting thought, Actually made me think about somthing that would be interesting. instead of retuning for 10/25 man leave them all at 40 man and re-tune The loot for lower levels. for example. have them re-tune MC / BWL for 30 and AQ for 40 then open them to LFR. (at the same time make it so BOE gear is of no use via needing a specific Ilevel to get into the queue)

This would introduce new players into raiding at an early point, and give new life into the the old raid content. However I know it would never happen. could be interesting though

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shadofall View Post
    rejected over and over again by blizzard.
    while i suspect its prob somewhere in backups. blizzard has said they dont even have the code base for just classic wow anymore.
    and as i've said before i only support this if every single player gets banned the first time someone asks for a bug fix or Quality of life change.
    to many people see classic and bc through rose colored glasses due to fond memorys. but they either never experinced or just dont remember all the really bad things that have been resolved/we dont have to deal with anymore
    Having to farm a bag full of shards, then get one of the compleatly random DC's and hearing the cries of "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" on teamspeak
    Limit of 8 Debuff per target (in a 40 man raid.... WTF)
    Black Lotus (bane of my life)
    The boat to stone tallon

Challenge servers??

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Didn't EQ do this?
    Yes, 3 times actually. Though each one had different unlocking mechanisms to vary it up a bit. Typically they progress to Gates of Discord and everyone quits.

Anyone that has participated in one of these progression servers will know just how unbelievably clunky and riddled with bugs they are from stuff that didn't revert properly. They're so ridiculously complex and something gamebreaking ALWAYS gets overlooked or plain isn't possible to revert. On top of that, since it's such a niche server the amount of development time it gets to fix bugs is very, very, long.

Basically it's a fun idea on paper; though I seriously doubt Blizzard would be able to do much better as mechanically EQ was a much simpler game and it still had some huge challenges. Trying to revert WoW would be insanely difficult.

TL;DR, fun concept.. not worth the time/resource investment.