Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Since were engaging in a debate about freedom....

I'm just curious and wanted to ask Swedes about this story

http://www.thelocal.se/8168/20070813/#.UOs3kKxBnIx

For those that don't feel like clickin the link, the jist of the story is that a young man was questioned by police randomly on the street and brought to a police station for drug testing because he looked too muscular.

Can the police in Sweden bring soemone to jail just for the suspicion of looking like they are on drugs?

We have been debating alot about personal freedoms lately on MMOC, especially the percieved lack therof.
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2013-01-11 at 01:52 AM.

You know if the big affront to liberty in Sweden is that a guy was brought in on suspicion of drug offenses and released promptly upon exoneration I'd say western society is doing just fine.

Can the police in Euro countries bring soemone to jail just for the suspicion of looking like they are on drugs?
    Im sorry, "Euronations" all operate under one police called EUROPOLICE?

Why didn't I know this?!

DAmn guys, just a simple debate here, no need to sharp shoot.

I just find it curious that in a modern western liberal democracy that someone could be pulled off the street and processed at a police station for looking a certain way. Sounds like something a police state would do.

Id be pretty pissed off to be taken away like a criminal in front of the public because i looked to muscular

Id be pretty pissed for being arrested cos I look too black!

Deleted
    Today you learned: Europe is a continent with many separate independant countries, with independant government, and independant laws.

This incident is particular to Swedish laws and Swedish law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Id be pretty pissed for being arrested cos I look too black!
    As would i. I guess we can agree on that.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 07:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mew View Post
    Today you learned: Europe is a continent with many separate independant countries, with independant government, and independant laws.

This incident is particular to Swedish laws and Swedish law enforcement.

fixed we all can be happy now

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I just find it curious that in a modern western liberal democracy that someone could be pulled off the street and processed at a police station for looking a certain way. Sounds like something a police state would do.
    When it happens on a regular basis then maybe there's something to be worried about. A guy was inconvenienced by an over zealous police officer who operated in disagreement with her fellow officers.

A police state that is not.

I dont get the point of this topic, police everywhere make mistakes, whether its to going into the wrong house and shooting at someones daughter or taking a man to the station for questioning because the officer felt he must be a drug taker. It just happens, has nothing to do with being a police state or not.

It only says that she made him take a urine sample test. If that's the worst that happens in Sweden then god is in his heaven, all's right with the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine being able to legitamitly say "I was arrested because my muscles are so big." That would be great. Could use that kinda story to no end in the future for all sorts of stuff.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

I dont get the point of this topic
    Obviously one or two threads on freedom isn't enough, everybody must dig up excuses to start their own threads on freedom and what not. Like anything Rush Limbaugh says and this.

For those that don't feel like clickin the link, the jist of the story is that a young man was questioned by police randomly on the street and brought to a police station for drug testing because he looked too muscular.

Can the police in Sweden bring soemone to jail just for the suspicion of looking like they are on drugs?
    ...since when did bringing in somebody for drug testing = jail?

Also, I'd like to hear what the conversation was between the officer and person. If they were a total jackass acting defensive, I'd be suspicious too.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Obviously one or two threads on freedom isn't enough, everybody must dig up excuses to start their own threads on freedom and what not. Like anything Rush Limbaugh says and this.

Not sure what the problem is here sema.....

its a valid question and had nothing to do with any paticular politics. Are you so anxious to turn every discussion into a political debate that you will derail a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    At least he didn't go with the line "If prostitution was legal the Swedish government could force you to become a prostitute!" Sometimes this board makes me cry, and I thought we'd hit a relatively sane period.

Im sorry, "Euronations" all operate under one police called EUROPOLICE?

Why didn't I know this?!
    Nobody expects the Europolice!

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 02:01 AM ----------

Sometimes this board makes me cry, and I thought we'd hit a relatively sane period.
    Really? With like 5 of those damn gun rights threads going at once?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Doesn't Arizona have something like that? Except for Illegal Immigrants.

Not sure what the problem is here sema.....
    I'm just saying you could have easily asked this in the thread about freedom.

Kind of sick of these threads popping up all over the board while there's a main thread going on, like those multiple gun rights threads.

Are you so anxious to turn every discussion into a political debate
    Really.
    We have been debating alot about personal freedoms lately on MMOC, especially the percieved lack therof.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

Really? With like 5 of those damn gun rights threads going at once?
    Well alright, there was one huge one that sprang up that I just kinda ignored and let the people that wanted to discuss it discuss it, outside of that the boards had been pretty tame, even boardering on boring!

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Imagine being able to legitamitly say "I was arrested because my muscles are so big." That would be great. Could use that kinda story to no end in the future for all sorts of stuff.
    I can't decide if that would be the most awesome or worst pickup line in history. The key factor in this situation is that it's technically 100% true and can thusly be followed by a fun story... and THAT is what is where I'm having trouble deciding! >_<