Thread: PC build Help!

10+ Year Old Account

PC build Help!

I'm a complete amateur when it comes to computers. I've done some research and tried to learn as much as i can about building one, but i am still far from doing it myself. All i want is to build a good PC to game (MMO's like World of Warcraft) and maybe stream on(WoW and Call of Duty BO2). With that being said I've put together parts for a gaming PC and i wanted to see what you guys thought.

Questions: Do all of these parts go together properly?
    Is there anything in this build that i'm over doing and i don't really need?
    Could i downgrade something to upgrade something else that would be better for gaming/streaming?
    Are there any other site where i can find some of these parts cheaper?
    Am i missing anything?
    Do i need to upgrade anything?
    Is this overall going to be a strong computer?
    What DVD reader do i need for this build?

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147107

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131837

Graphics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121669

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817152035

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115234

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

OS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116986

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148697

Total: $876.92

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone knows other sites to get cheaper parts that would be great, i'm a 22 year old full time student so i really don't have the money for a $900 rig. Thanks a ton.
    Bigdom US-Tichondrius

Design by I4ni, Thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    All in all, a very good system. Everything goes together well. A couple suggestions.

1) Consider getting a 3570K for $30 more. It would definitely be worth it. If you live near Southern California, Microcenter has them for $170. If you can't swing it, it's no biggie. The 3470 will run everything you throw at it short of quad monitors live streaming while folding.
    2) Do NOT get a raidmax power supply. Raidmax is an awful brand. Having worked in computer repair for about a decade now, I think I've replaced more Raidmax PSU's than any other brand combined. Not a joke. Go for a Seasonic 520w. Almost the same price.

I would add that get two of those memorykits, to up it to 16gb. The mobo has the potential to go to 4 dimms so why not use it? You need quite a bit of memeory streming.
    And second, Get yourself an SSD for bootdrive, they are dirt cheap these days.. Other than that, overall nice pc

I don't know anything streaming quality atm but besides that everything seems to work.

If you are going to be spending around $160 on a graphics card, get the Radeon 7850 for around $170-180. It is currently by far the best card for around that price.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mobo has the potential to go to 4 dimms so why not use it?
    It costs more. That's usually a good reason.
    You need quite a bit of memeory streming.
    Actually streaming is very much CPU based. More RAM will really not help.
    And second, Get yourself an SSD for bootdrive, they are dirt cheap these days.. Other than that, overall nice pc
    $150-$200 is not exactly dirt cheap on a budget. SSD's are nice (I love mine, and cannot build a computer without them now), however they are a Quality of Life increase. They offer no performance (FPS) for games, or better streaming/recording.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It costs more. That's usually a good reason.

Actually streaming is very much CPU based. More RAM will really not help.

$150-$200 is not exactly dirt cheap on a budget. SSD's are nice (I love mine, and cannot build a computer without them now), however they are a Quality of Life increase. They offer no performance (FPS) for games, or better streaming/recording.
    SSD's are giving a lot of more performance for recording etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    SSD's are giving a lot of more performance for recording etc.
    I guess I haven't seen any benchmarks about this. People were recording/streaming just fine before with HDDs. Regardless, it's still a solid chunk of money for a budget build.

10+ Year Old Account
    All in all, a very good system. Everything goes together well. A couple suggestions.

1) Consider getting a 3570K for $30 more. It would definitely be worth it. If you live near Southern California, Microcenter has them for $170. If you can't swing it, it's no biggie. The 3470 will run everything you throw at it short of quad monitors live streaming while folding.
    2) Do NOT get a raidmax power supply. Raidmax is an awful brand. Having worked in computer repair for about a decade now, I think I've replaced more Raidmax PSU's than any other brand combined. Not a joke. Go for a Seasonic 520w. Almost the same price.

What are some good name brand Power supplies?
    I live in the bay area, could i order it and have it shipped, or is it an indoor deal only?

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 08:42 PM ----------

Does anyone have any suggestions on a DVD/CD writer, or what brands i should be looking for? How do i know what will fit in my case?

hows: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

$18 bucks not to bad lol
    Bigdom US-Tichondrius

10+ Year Old Account
    What are some good name brand Power supplies?
    Seasonic is definitely good, and has been a common go-to lately due to its affordability as well. Enermax has always been reliable. Antec, Coolermaster, and Corsair I see popping up a lot as well.

I live in the bay area, could i order it and have it shipped, or is it an indoor deal only?
    Walk in only. If you happen to have friends near there, it might be worth the $50 to have them get it and ship it to you.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 09:16 PM ----------

Does anyone have any suggestions on a DVD/CD writer, or what brands i should be looking for? How do i know what will fit in my case?
    I'll be honest, unless it's an external drive... I'm pretty sure any SATA DVD drive will fit. People aren't super picky about those these days unless they're doing something RIDICULOUSLY specific. Any cheap $20 drive ought to work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seasonic is definitely good, and has been a common go-to lately due to its affordability as well. Enermax has always been reliable. Antec, Coolermaster, and Corsair I see popping up a lot as well.

Walk in only. If you happen to have friends near there, it might be worth the $50 to have them get it and ship it to you.

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 09:16 PM ----------

I'll be honest, unless it's an external drive... I'm pretty sure any SATA DVD drive will fit. People aren't super picky about those these days unless they're doing something RIDICULOUSLY specific. Any cheap $20 drive ought to work.
    Thanks so much for all your help Chazus i truly appreciate it!
    Bigdom US-Tichondrius

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Walk in only. If you happen to have friends near there, it might be worth the $50 to have them get it and ship it to you.[COLOR="red"]
    dont forget the mobo is alot cheaper as well when purchased together

3570k + asrock pro3 = 269.99$ at microcenter
    3570k + asrock pro3 = 315$ at newegg, i dunno if shipping is included?
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2013-01-11 at 08:21 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga