Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Well the only reason I slightly disagree is because Time Warp/Heroism is the best raid cooldown in the game. Nothing comes even remotely close to it. I understand you want something very unique to mages (I do too, since having portals is barely helpful at all nowadays, I put up a portal to both SW and Vale at the end of every raid, but I just see people hearthing away.) I'm simply pointing out that for all practical purposes, only two classes bring it, and one is very underrepresented.

The thing is, what would that raid cooldown be? Blazing Speed for everyone? Druids already have that. A mass Temporal Shield for everyone? Just another variation of what paladins/warriors already have (damage mitigation). Teleportation? Warlocks have it. I would like to see this as much as you, but it seems everything worth mentioning is already covered. Damage (Heroism, Crit Flag), Mobility (druid, warlock), Damage Mitigation (a ton of shit now). The 3 categories are all pretty well covered.

I would like to see a mass temporal shield, maybe something called Temporal Shift. When cast, records the health of all raid members, cast again or after X seconds to restore them to that health value.

There is one idea.....that is very controversial and would arguably make mages that very ideology you hate (bring the character not the player), but it could be tuned. Give magi a stun that can stun raid bosses, 3 minute cooldown. Put it into deep freeze, lasts 4 seconds. Unique, original, and not *that* OP. I Imagine a scenario of cancelling a huge raid wide AoE, or stunning him to just kill him before he enrages, or use it during a Heroism phase, etc. Maybe even put the spell on Cold Snap to give the talent raid viability (8 seconds of boss stunned, that would be insane)
    Last edited by Sw1tch; 2013-01-18 at 06:33 AM.

I think playing a Mage is a privilege honestly. Every dps class would much rather sit there and do their rotation perfectly. But no, we have to waste GCD's on resurrections, war banners, totems, tranqs, hyms, life-grips, etc etc...

Consider yourself lucky that you can sit there and do nothing but top the meters. I wish I could play my Druid, Warrior, Pally and Lock without any raid responsibilities besides killing the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by SemiFiction View Post
    The thing that made me want to list all the personal shit that you have was the fact that you listed symbiosis as something that helps the raid. How is me being able to switch to a bear anymore beneficial than you having more damage cooldowns and notoriously more dps? Both help defeat the encounter. So what's the big deal? Defeating the encounter is what's important, not your individual dps or what rank you are on logs or something.

I think that you should just be grateful that A) your class always has a spec in the top 3 or 4 dps specs every patch and B) that Blizz threw you a bone with TW, sounds like that's the only reason someone would take a player who gripes so much to their raid lol
    Symbiosis: I guess a Shadow Priest having Tranquility doesn't count as a raidwide cooldown.

Heart of the Wild: Allows a Non-Guardian Druid to tank for a second (and effectively, too) until you battlerez the tank, or for the last 45s of combat, OR, allows a Non-Restoration Druid to heal in times of heavy raid damage.

Time Warp is a Cataclysm spell, and throwing us a bone? I'd prefer not to have it, honestly. Annoying when you get into your DPS groove and then you need to pop it all of a sudden/remember all the times you have to pop it. Our Shaman could pop it instead, anyways.

I'm simply saying compare Warlocks to Mages, and it's a bit one-sided how much better Warlocks are atm.

Quote Originally Posted by SemiFiction View Post
    I think playing a Mage is a privilege honestly. Every dps class would much rather sit there and do their rotation perfectly. But no, we have to waste GCD's on resurrections, war banners, totems, tranqs, hyms, life-grips, etc etc...

Consider yourself lucky that you can sit there and do nothing but top the meters. I wish I could play my Druid, Warrior, Pally and Lock without any raid responsibilities besides killing the boss.
    If you have any more responsibilities except battle-rezzing on your Warlock, I'd love to hear them and add them to my list.

And seriously, that's your counter-argument? I don't have them, therefore, I get to DPS full-time? You lose, what, a global to battle rez? Being on a raid team isn't just about doing DPS. If your team wipes, it doesn't matter how much DPS you do because it's not logged and no one gives a shit. What matters is beating a boss and not coming out of it barely alive (e.g., using raid-utility where applicable).

Also, it's a privilege to play a Warlock, where moving doesn't affect my DPS in the slightest, hurp durp.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 02:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sw1tch View Post
    Well the only reason I slightly disagree is because Time Warp/Heroism is the best raid cooldown in the game. Nothing comes even remotely close to it. I understand you want something very unique to mages (I do too, since having portals is barely helpful at all nowadays, I put up a portal to both SW and Vale at the end of every raid, but I just see people hearthing away.) I'm simply pointing out that for all practical purposes, only two classes bring it, and one is very underrepresented.

The thing is, what would that raid cooldown be? Blazing Speed for everyone? Druids already have that. A mass Temporal Shield for everyone? Just another variation of what paladins/warriors already have (damage mitigation). Teleportation? Warlocks have it. I would like to see this as much as you, but it seems everything worth mentioning is already covered. Damage (Heroism, Crit Flag), Mobility (druid, warlock), Damage Mitigation (a ton of shit now). The 3 categories are all pretty well covered.

I would like to see a mass temporal shield, maybe something called Temporal Shift. When cast, records the health of all raid members, cast again or after X seconds to restore them to that health value.

There is one idea.....that is very controversial and would arguably make mages that very ideology you hate (bring the character not the player), but it could be tuned. Give magi a stun that can stun raid bosses, 3 minute cooldown. Put it into deep freeze, lasts 4 seconds. Unique, original, and not *that* OP. I Imagine a scenario of cancelling a huge raid wide AoE, or stunning him to just kill him before he enrages, or use it during a Heroism phase, etc. Maybe even put the spell on Cold Snap to give the talent raid viability (8 seconds of boss stunned, that would be insane)
    Mass Alter Time would be too hard to decide when to use it in the hands of an average player. Kinda. It'd have to be timed perfectly so your tank's HP is high, and before a bad raid-hitting ability was coming (e.g., Normal Elegon's add exploding, or Rain of Blades on Wind Lord). Not to mention, that gives a huge potential of trolling, even moreso than Priest's Leap of Faith and Void Shift.

A boss stun NOT being OP? You do realize how foolish that sounds, don't you?

*Ragnaros empowers Sulfuras!* *MAGE STUN, TROLL'D*
    *Wind Lord casts Rain of Blades!* *MAGE STUN, TROLL'D*
    *Generic Boss X casts Y and/or gains Buff Z!* *MAGE STUN, TROLL'D*

Pretty much any ability/buff that a boss gets can be easily negated. As cool as it sounds, that'd be the most broken thing possible.

Regardless, raid utility is yet another topic in the grand scheme of things. Mages just aren't sitting pretty in a ton of areas. Mobility, passive damage reduction, raid utility, unique-ness, specc flavor, and even Damage are all issues. (Excluding Scorchweaving, DPS IS a huge issue atm as both Frost and Fire are mediocre, and Arcane Barraging is okay)
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-01-18 at 07:17 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

something like temporal shield on raid member would be cool like someone mentioned anything that is mage talent based not just old fashion flat damage reduction would be bold and boring

(and yea raid wide alter time would be too much trolling lol but like i said only hp and mana so TP raid wide would make more sense i guess)
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

I completely agree with this, giving mages some kind of raid utility unlike some class already has would be fantastic, the only real time i've been "useful" in this tier is on Will heroic for the sparks.

Deleted
    Regardless, raid utility is yet another topic in the grand scheme of things. Mages just aren't sitting pretty in a ton of areas. Mobility, passive damage reduction, raid utility, unique-ness, specc flavor, and even Damage are all issues. (Excluding Scorchweaving, DPS IS a huge issue atm as both Frost and Fire are mediocre, and Arcane Barraging is okay)
    Mages have awesome Raid Utility, as Swizzle already pointed out, we bring 2 of the most important buffs, our cleave damage on fights with multiple adds is best bar none, we can invis and res after combat, we can provide cookies, blink allows us to cheese so many mechanics that help the raid out, our crowd control is better than any other class also.

Mobility may be better but honestly it all comes down to skill again, the spells are there, its all just about timing them correctly.

Unique-ness is debatable, I feel I have more than enough unique abilities to not fall into the crowd, Blink, Alter Time, Ice Block, Ring of Frost to name but a few, all are spells that no other class and equivalent of and all are actually useful.

Spec Flavour? Really don't get this one... our 3 specss are completely different, different play styles and all provide something different.

And lastly, as for Damage.... So, according to the Sims we have 2 of the top 3 classes, just because you personally can't play frost to the level of the sims does not mean others cannot, frost was doing very well in PVE until everyone just went Arcane. Fire, a little lower than what it was but as I mentioned before, played correctly can beat most other specs. And Arcane, go sim yourself scorch-weaving and barraging and tell me the difference? Want me to give you a hint? There is none... They both output the same DPS if played correctly, that is the key. Managing Mana is much harder than just casting Scorch so just like water, we take the path of least resistance, why make your job harder than it has to be? Seriously, if you guys just wanna play the most OP class each time, level everything to 90 because it will all change everytime a patch is made. Go play a Lock, go play a WW Monk, then go and spent your day QQing on their forums about how you've just re-rolled to the current OP class and Blizz made a different one OP.

The bit that really gets me though, is that currently, MAGES STILL ARE THE OP CLASS, both Single target with Arcane and Multi target with Fire.

Swizzle, I really don't know how you can moderate these forums and not pull your hair out mate

Deleted
    OK, to help a little in this discussion, I will list all utility spell (control exclude).

Raid Wide Utility
    Arcane Brillance - Intellect and Crit buff
    Time Warp - same as BL/Hero (shaman) and Ancient Hysteria (Hunter)
    Invisibility - for Mass Rez after a wipe. Same as Feign Death.
    Portal - send player in your group in an important city. Less usefull because of Fly Mount and all TP stuff (cape, tabar, ...)
    Refreshment Table - bring food. less interresting than crafted food.

Fight-Utility
    Counterspell - CS
    Polymorph - CC
    Remove Curse - dispel Curse only
    Spellsteal - dispel beneficial Magic on Hostile target at cost of heavy mana cost
    Symbiosis - big heal every 5s
    Slow Fall - like levitation without water walking

Self-Utility
    Blink - remove stun & root, "Fire is Hot" skip
    Ice Block - immunity every 5 minutes (3 minutes w/ Cold Snap)
    Mirror Image - threat reduction
    Spellsteal - dispel beneficial Magic on Hostile target at cost of heavy mana cost.
    Teleportation - go to a city

Mage Armor - 25% reduced duration of Magic effect (35% w/ glyph)
    Molten Armor - 6% physical damage reduction (16% w/ glyph)

Blazing Speed - like Blink w/ Immunity and not on GCD but w/o "fire" skip
    Ice Barrier - absorb 100k damage every 25s
    Temporal Shield - heald back damage taken

Cauterize - not-dying once every 2 minutes
    Cold Snap - 15% instant self-heal every 3 minutes (was 30%)
    Greater Invisibility - remove 2 DOT and 90% damage reduction every 1.5 minute

Glyph of Evocation - self heal for 60% (6s cast, 2 minutes), 20% (3s cast) or 1% per second.
    Glyph of Invisibility - 40% speed-boost every 5 minutes (1.5 minute w/ talent)
    Glyph of Rapid Teleportation - 70% speed-boost after using a portal

Personal conclusion
    All raid-wide spell are shared or useless.
    Fight utility spell is all shared (CS/CC/slow-fall), less useful (dispell).
    Self Utility spell can be sorted like this:
    • core mage ability that are unique to mage.
    • pvp ability (or very situational)
    • defensive talent, surviving talent and glyph

6 spells can resume mage self utility.
    Hybrid class is very useful because they have to multiple role.
    In the only-DPS class, we have:
    • Hunter with every buff & debuff, threat redirection, Feign Death, etc
    • Rogue with Smoke Bombs for Line of Sight and 20% raid damage reduction (5.2 ptr), threat redirection.
    • Warlock with Summoning, 20% free heal on-use, Gateway and battle rez

Quote Originally Posted by Pspsully View Post
    Mages have awesome Raid Utility, as Swizzle already pointed out, we bring 2 of the most important buffs, our cleave damage on fights with multiple adds is best bar none, we can invis and res after combat, we can provide cookies, blink allows us to cheese so many mechanics that help the raid out, our crowd control is better than any other class also.

Mobility may be better but honestly it all comes down to skill again, the spells are there, its all just about timing them correctly.

Unique-ness is debatable, I feel I have more than enough unique abilities to not fall into the crowd, Blink, Alter Time, Ice Block, Ring of Frost to name but a few, all are spells that no other class and equivalent of and all are actually useful.

Spec Flavour? Really don't get this one... our 3 specss are completely different, different play styles and all provide something different.

And lastly, as for Damage.... So, according to the Sims---
    Cleave Damage? Invis and Res? "Cookies"??? You mean OUT OF COMBAT FOOD. Ffs, PLEASE STOP GRASPING AT STRAWS.

Lolno. Don't be in denial. We're by far the worst class at mobility/mobile DPS.

Not really.

No they aren't.

And that bolded/large part is why I'm done talking/listening to you. Good DAY, sir!

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 05:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nathyiel View Post
    OK, to help a little in this discussion, I will list all utility spell (control exclude).

Raid Wide Utility
    Arcane Brillance - Intellect and Crit buff
    Time Warp - same as BL/Hero (shaman) and Ancient Hysteria (Hunter)
    Portal - send player in your group in an important city. Less usefull because of Fly Mount and all TP stuff (cape, tabar, ...)
    Refreshment Table - bring food. less interresting than crafted food.

Fight-Utility
    Counterspell - CS
    Polymorph - CC
    Remove Curse - dispel Curse only
    Spellsteal - dispel beneficial Magic on Hostile target at cost of heavy mana cost
    Symbiosis - big heal every 5s
    Slow Fall - like levitation without water walking

Self-Utility
    Blink - remove stun & root, "Fire is Hot" skip
    Ice Block - immunity every 5 minutes (3 minutes w/ Cold Snap)
    Mirror Image - threat reduction
    Spellsteal - dispel beneficial Magic on Hostile target at cost of heavy mana cost.
    Teleportation - go to a city

Mage Armor - 25% reduced duration of Magic effect (35% w/ glyph)
    Molten Armor - 6% physical damage reduction (16% w/ glyph)

Blazing Speed - like Blink w/ Immunity and not on GCD but w/o "fire" skip
    Ice Barrier - absorb 100k damage every 25s
    Temporal Shield - heald back damage taken

Cauterize - not-dying once every 2 minutes
    Cold Snap - 15% instant self-heal every 3 minutes (was 30%)
    Greater Invisibility - remove 2 DOT and 90% damage reduction every 1.5 minute

Glyph of Evocation - self heal for 60% (6s cast, 2 minutes), 20% (3s cast) or 1% per second.
    Glyph of Invisibility - 40% speed-boost every 5 minutes (1.5 minute w/ talent)
    Glyph of Rapid Teleportation - 70% speed-boost after using a portal

Personal conclusion
    All raid-wide spell are shared or useless.
    Fight utility spell is all shared (CS/CC/slow-fall), less useful (dispell).
    Self Utility spell can be sorted like this:
    • core mage ability that are unique to mage.
    • pvp ability (or very situational)
    • defensive talent, surviving talent and glyph

6 spells can resume mage self utility.
    Hybrid class is very useful because they have to multiple role.
    In the only-DPS class, we have:
    • Hunter with every buff & debuff, threat redirection, Feign Death, etc
    • Rogue with Smoke Bombs for Line of Sight and 20% raid damage reduction (5.2 ptr), threat redirection.
    • Warlock with Summoning, 20% free heal on-use, Gateway and battle rez
    ^ is why I really don't want to make a list for every class. This is the MAGE list, the shortest of all classes.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sw1tch View Post
    Even if it would be unique to mages, you wouldn't want more than 1 in most raids anyways.. So in short saying its the most important ability is kinda wrong as its diminished by the amount of people that have the cd.. If that is 1, great strongest cd in game, if that is 10, great weakest raidwide cd ingame

Deleted
    @dragon: Mage are not bad in term of utility but it's principally personal utility.

If invoked food have given +200 primary stat or +250 secondary stat, it would have been useful, not optimal but useful.
    The idea of a raid-wide Temporal shield can be very interesting.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 02:49 PM ----------

And I've found an interesting post about Hunter feeling bad, like Mage, with the lack of raid-utility.
    here : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7593622971
    Last edited by mmocccfbebbec4; 2013-01-18 at 01:49 PM.

@dragon: Mage are not bad in term of utility but it's principally personal utility.

If invoked food have given +200 primary stat or +250 secondary stat, it would have been useful, not optimal but useful.

And I've found an interesting post about Hunter feeling bad, like Mage, with the lack of raid-utility.
    Honestly, as a hunter I could care less about more raid utility. We have enough already.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

So we get watered down food which is useless to feasts. Fantastic; how worthless.

Here's one that would be kinda cool:

Ice Wall
    2m cooldown

Create a wall of ice at the target location for 8s. Anyone standing behind it takes 30% less damage for the duration from things in front of the wall. The wall of ice does NOT Line of Sight attacks, and can be melee attacked through it (for either side). It also reduces AoE damage provided you're behind the wall from the source of the AoE.

It'd be better than nothing but I like the idea of a global Temporal Shield or the like more than if you just take the Rogue Smoke bomb change, make it 50% more powerful (with a more lenient range requirement to boot) and give it to us
    There are more interesting things you can do than giving every Pure DPS the same utility cooldown. I thought that was what you wanted to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Time Warp is a Cataclysm spell, and throwing us a bone? I'd prefer not to have it, honestly. Annoying when you get into your DPS groove and then you need to pop it all of a sudden/remember all the times you have to pop it. Our Shaman could pop it instead, anyways.
    So you complain about having to press one button to cast the best raid cooldown in the game... meanwhile shadow priests with symbiosis have to CHANNEL tranquility for x amount of seconds AND channel hymn of hope... One button throws off your "groove"? Can't imagine what an entire channel would do. lol And to top it all off, mages SMASH shadow priest dps. So they do less dps and have to break up their "groove" by channeling a raid cd.

Instead of a stun, how about an interrupt that works against bosses?

There are already a bunch of abilities that affect the raid team, but how about an ability that can affect a boss? It could be worked into Counterspell on a 3 min cooldown.

Shit since cataclysm launch and still going strong.

(referring to mage state)

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It'd be better than nothing but I like the idea of a global Temporal Shield or the like more than if you just take the Rogue Smoke bomb change, make it 50% more powerful (with a more lenient range requirement to boot) and give it to us
    There are more interesting things you can do than giving every Pure DPS the same utility cooldown. I thought that was what you wanted to avoid?
    Except raid-wide TS would probably be too OP in Blizzard's eyes.

I do want to avoid it, but it'd be a START, at least to give us something meanwhile. Plus, it may be the same effect, but it's unique in how it works. Know anyone else with a fake LoS activation cooldown?

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    So you complain about having to press one button to cast the best raid cooldown in the game... meanwhile shadow priests with symbiosis have to CHANNEL tranquility for x amount of seconds AND channel hymn of hope... One button throws off your "groove"? Can't imagine what an entire channel would do. lol And to top it all off, mages SMASH shadow priest dps. So they do less dps and have to break up their "groove" by channeling a raid cd.
    Except the "best raid cooldown" CANNOT be stacked, making it effectively useless to have multiple people who can do it, meanwhile _EVERY_ other cooldown isn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Shit since cataclysm launch and still going strong.

(referring to mage state)
    Except it's gotten worse. Cataclysm wasn't that bad, they just forced us to play Arcane for two patches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Except the "best raid cooldown" CANNOT be stacked, making it effectively useless to have multiple people who can do it, meanwhile _EVERY_ other cooldown isn't like that.
    Still doesn't change the fact that you're literally complaining about having to press ONE button, and more often than not at a very predictable time. Whereas others might be called upon during a very stressful time to CHANNEL something. I just don't know if you can handle a raid cd... lol I personally am fine with what mages have. Let other people take care of the raid so I can focus on my rotation. It's selfish yes. But my QoL is a lot better than some shadow priest at the bottom of the meters who's burdened with channeling some shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pspsully View Post

And lastly, as for Damage.... So, according to the Sims we have 2 of the top 3 classes, just because you personally can't play frost to the level of the sims does not mean others cannot, frost was doing very well in PVE until everyone just went Arcane. Fire, a little lower than what it was but as I mentioned before, played correctly can beat most other specs. And Arcane, go sim yourself scorch-weaving and barraging and tell me the difference? Want me to give you a hint? There is none... They both output the same DPS if played correctly, that is the key. Managing Mana is much harder than just casting Scorch so just like water, we take the path of least resistance, why make your job harder than it has to be? Seriously, if you guys just wanna play the most OP class each time, level everything to 90 because it will all change everytime a patch is made. Go play a Lock, go play a WW Monk, then go and spent your day QQing on their forums about how you've just re-rolled to the current OP class and Blizz made a different one OP.

The bit that really gets me though, is that currently, MAGES STILL ARE THE OP CLASS, both Single target with Arcane and Multi target with Fire.

Swizzle, I really don't know how you can moderate these forums and not pull your hair out mate

can i have some the drugs u are taking, cos i think they are messing u up something rotten atm:

all caster classes have similar cleave damage, multi dot classes (shadow priest and aff lock) have very good aoe damage just has alot of ramp up time.

there is no skill in the world that will make arcane specifically but all 3 of our specs better at on the move dps compared to a DoT class so this arguement doesn't hold any water, the best players in teh world, u know, the ones where skill is no longer a limiting factor still struggle really hard at mobility as a mage, so yeah, come back when u know wtf ur talking about here.

all 3 specs are identical to play, only difference for arcane, u have to watch ur mana, other than that, it plays the same as fire, and frost, apply bomb, spam filler, hit lighty up button, use a cooldown to boost damage, rinse and repeat until boss dies or u wipe whichever comes first.

also, according to sims, it is possible for humans to fly through space purely using the power of thier farts, see what this kind of arguement does, absolutely fucking nothing, a simulator does not account for human error, it does not account for on the spot decision making, and it sure as hell does not account for player skill, according to sims, arcane is second best spec in game, is it in reality, not by a long way, some fights it shines, others it just plain sucks.

mages are not OP in anyway, shape or form, if the choice was between an equally skilled and geared shadow priest, u take the priest, if the choice was between an equally geared and skilled ele shammy, u take the shammy over the mage, pure and simple, guess ur still playing in LFR where it is piss easy to top the meters as a mage, i mean hell, when i bother to jump into an LFR i'm doing 11-15% of all raid damage and around 6% ahead of the next person on damage done, does that mean my class is OP, does it fuck.

get a clue, then come back and actually give a meaningful arguement that isn't all anecdotal with little to no substance for anybody to take seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    all 3 specs are identical to play, only difference for arcane, u have to watch ur mana, other than that, it plays the same as fire, and frost, apply bomb, spam filler, hit lighty up button, use a cooldown to boost damage, rinse and repeat until boss dies or u wipe whichever comes first.
    I'm sorry, isn't that what all of wow is like? Apply dot(s), spam filler, use a cd or two... I thought there was more to wow than just doing your rotation. The game offers beautiful scenery, unique boss encounters, and a lot of other activities that can be enjoyed by both the casual and serious players. Anyone can reduce their rotation to the bare essentials and it will sound boring.