Poll: What is your pick for Best Picture at the Oscars this year?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Movies] The Oscars 2013: The Nominees are Announced!

This thread is for discussing the 2013 Academy Awards (Oscars)

Here are the nominations

Best Picture
    Amour
    Argo
    Beasts of Southern Wild
    Django Unchained
    Les Miserables
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Zero Dark Thirty

Best Director
    Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"
    Benh Zeitlin, "Beasts of Southern Wild"
    David O. Russell, "Silver Linings Playbook"
    Michael Haneke, "Amour"
    Steven Spielberg, "Lincoln"

Best Actor in a Leading Role
    Bradley Cooper, "Silver Linings Playbook"
    Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"
    Denzel Washington, "Flight"
    Hugh Jackman, "Les Miserables"
    Joaquin Phoenix, "The Master"

Best Actress in a Leading Role
    Emmanuelle Riva, "Amour"
    Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook"
    Jessica Chastain, "Zero Dark Thirty"
    Naomi Watts, "The Impossible"
    Quvenzhane Wallis, "Beasts of the Southern Wild"

Bests Supporting Actor
    Alan Arkin, "Argo"
    Christoph Waltz, "Django Uncahined"
    Phillip Seymour Hoffman, "The Master"
    Robert De Niro, "Silver Linings Playbook"
    Tommy Lee Jones, "Lincoln

Best Supporting Actress
    Amy Adams, "The Master
    Anne Hathaway, "Les Miserables"
    Helen Hunt, "The Sessions"
    Jack Weaver, "Silver Linings Playbook"
    Sally Field, "Lincoln"

Best Animated Film
    Brave
    Frankenweenie
    ParaNorman
    The Pirates! Band of Misfits
    Wreck-It Ralph

Cinematography
    Anna Karenina
    Django Unchained
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Skyfall

Costume Design
    Anna Karenina
    Les Miserables
    Lincoln
    Mirror Mirro
    Snow White and the Huntsman

Documentary Feature
    5 Broken Cameras
    The Gatekeepers
    How to Survive a Plague
    The Invisible War
    Searching for Sugar Man

Documentary Short
    Inocente
    Kings Point
    Mondays at Racine
    Open Heart
    Redemption

Film Editing
    Argo
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Zero Dark Thirty

Foreign Language Film
    Amour
    Kon-Tiki
    No
    A Royal Affair
    War Witch

Makeup and Hairstyling
    Hitchcock
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Les Miserables

Best Original Score
    Anna Karenina
    Argo
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Skyfall

Best Original Song
    "Before my Time" from Chasing Ice
    "Everybody Needs a Beast Friend" from ted
    "Pi's Lullaby" from Life of Pi
    "Skyfall" from Skyfall
    "Suddenly" from Les Miserables

Best Production Design
    Anna Karenina
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected
    Les Miserables
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln

Best Animation Short
    Adam and Dog
    Fresh Guacamole
    Head over Heels
    Maggie Simpson in "The Longest Daycare"
    Paperman

Best Live Action Short
    Asad
    Buzkashi Boys
    Curfew
    Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)
    Henry

Sound Editing
    Argo
    Django Unchained
    Life of Pi
    Skyfall
    Zero Dark Thirty

Sound Mixing
    Argo
    Les Miserables
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Skyfall

Visual Effects
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Life of Pi
    Marvel's The Avengers
    Prometheus
    Snow Whtie and the Huntsman

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Argo
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Silver Linings Playbook

Best Original Screenplay
    Amour
    Django Unchained
    Flight
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Zero Dark Thirty

For me, I personally hope Life of Pi sweeps all the technical awards, it deserves them 100% for how chilling and haunting, and beautiful they could all be, and how all the technical works (like cinematography) were practically characters that gave the movie its tone and beauty and how it changed when the tone of that section would be different.

Others that I firmly want to see win,
    Wreck-It Ralph for the best Animated Movie, simply because it was by far (Brave was such a disappointment, and none of the three stop-motions blew me away like one should) the best animated movie released this year, and if it doesn't it's simply because some of the voters didn't like that it was about video games.

Paper Man, for best animated short, spectacular short, it was really hard to decide when I went to see Wreck-It Ralph which I liked better Paper Man (the short that played with it) or Wreck-It Ralph and that says a lot since I loved both.

Best Supporting Actress, definitely deserves to go to Anne Hathaway, her performance was one of the best of the year for leads or supporting for both genders.

And with that Best Actor in a Lead Role should go to Daniel-Day Lewis, as he also was one of the best performances of the year period.

Other than that, all the other categories there are multiples I wouldn't mind winning, but those are the ones I have a definite opinion on. And besides a couple fluke nominations (Mirror, Mirror shouldn't be nominated for anything, even if its a filler nomination for costume design) and the fact Looper was snubbed from Best Original Screenplay I really like these choices.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only one that I'd like to win on that list is Skyfall for Cinematography, it took that movie to a whole nother level. Everything else just seems meh or expected on that list. Lots of movies got snubbed. TDKR should of atleast gotten a nod for soundtrack and replaced it with Skyfall, because it's just the typical bond soundtrack, it was good, but not as good ad tdkr's score imo.

Deleted
    I really hope Christoph Waltz wins best support actor.

He was so brilliant in django unchained. Also hope that movie wins best picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Only one that I'd like to win on that list is Skyfall for Cinematography, it took that movie to a whole nother level. Everything else just seems meh or expected on that list. Lots of movies got snubbed. TDKR should of atleast gotten a nod for soundtrack and replaced it with Skyfall, because it's just the typical bond soundtrack, it was good, but not as good ad tdkr's score imo.
    Skyfall had great cinematography, but I honestly think Life of Pi is in a different league compared to all the other movies on the list for cinematography.

I'm not sure if you have seen Life of Pi or not but if you have (and in 3D on the big screen) you would probably agree.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arrietty wasn't even nominated for best animated film. My interest is now zero.

Was hoping Hobbit would get a few more nods. It was my favorite movie of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Was hoping Hobbit would get a few more nods. It was my favorite movie of the year.
    It was mine as well, but I kind of expected it to not get nominated for anything 'Massive'. Return of the King was (IMO) the worst of the Trilogy and yet it received ALL the awards, it was essentially just receiving awards for the ENTIRE Trilogy. Same thing might happen again with The Hobbit (Although I doubt it since people in the industry seem to have a stick up their arse about the movie and how it was made, technology etc).

I really do hope it gets the Visual Effects Award though, WETA outdid themselves AGAIN and they so deserve that award.

Wreck-it-Ralph definitely deserves best Animated Feature, it was an incredible movie across the board. Reminded me of the best classic Pixar films; Monsters Inc, Toy Story, Finding Nemo etc.

Pretty unimpressed with the 'Movie of the Year' nominations, none of my current Top 4 Films are in it. However that being said I haven't seen Django Unchained yet nor Life of Pi, but I doubt either of them will beat my Top 3 anyway. So based off what I've seen I'm rooting for Les Miserables atm.

All of these pretty much have life of pi. I rarely heard anything about this movie expect it was about some child and a tiger on a boat not sure if that right...

Really disappointed with the absence of TDKR noms. TDKR's score was quite good.

I'd love for Django Unchained to make a sweep of its nominations just so Spike Lee can pull a Flip-Flop on Twitter.

That and Samuel L. Jackson and Christoph Walz delivered what I thought was the best acting in a movie all year.

15+ Year Old Account
    My guess is Life of Pi and Lincoln picking up most of the awards with a few thrown at Argo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Skyfall had great cinematography, but I honestly think Life of Pi is in a different league compared to all the other movies on the list for cinematography.

I'm not sure if you have seen Life of Pi or not but if you have (and in 3D on the big screen) you would probably agree.
    Yea I tried to but it went out of theaters before I could, I might be able to catch it at the dollar movie in 3d, or when they do one of those "see the Oscar nominated movies on the big screen again" things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Arrietty wasn't even nominated for best animated film. My interest is now zero.
    That movie was released in Japan in 2010...

I'm a bit disappointed the Andersons (P.T A and Wes, not W.S) got snubbed in the Best Picture (Moonrise Kingdom / The Master), Best Cinematography (The Master) and Best Production Design (Moonrise Kingdom), Best Original Score (The Master) categories. But I'm happy to see Quvenzhane Wallis (only 9 years old, youngest actress to be nominated for best lead) and Emmanuelle Riva (85 years old. Oldest actress to ever be nominated) get some recongnition, though I doubt either of them will win.

I really liked Django and Les Miserables. I'm going to be watching Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty, and Life of Pi this weekend, so I'm going to hold out on my judgement for best pic.

Now, I really liked Django... but I really don't think it should've been nominated for best picture. I just felt like it wasn't good enough. I felt like Django didn't really match up to Inglorious Bastards, Pulp Fiction (yes, I know Pulp Fiction was nominated for best picture), or Sin City. I do hope though, that Christopher Waltz gets best support actor.

Despite Russel Crowe and Hugh Jackman's awful singing, Les Mis still made me shed quite a few tears of manliness, and I would really like to see Anne Hathaway win best supporting actress. Les Mis is currently my pick for Best Picture, but of course I haven't seen a number of the big contenders yet.

I also think "Argo" is overrated. It wasn't even the best espionage film of the year ("Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" was).

In terms of animated films, Wreck-it-Ralph definitely stood out to me. I would say it's probably my 3rd favorite animated film ever (behind Lion King and Aladdin) and I've seen pretty much every Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks movie in the last 30 years. I enjoyed Brave as well, but Wreck-it-Ralph was just too good.

For animated short, I really liked "La Luna" (it came before Brave), and was pretty disappointed to see it not nominated. Paperman was alright...

I've heard all the songs nominated for Best Original Song... and I think they're all pretty bad. I would've liked, "When Can I See You Again" by Owl City to be there. Of the song's nominated... I guess I'd give it to "Skyfall" simply cause Adele has a great voice.
    Last edited by Windry; 2013-01-11 at 11:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure Lincoln will take Best Picture, Spielberg will take Director, and Lewis will take Best Actor.

Just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    yet another year of four or five movies being nominated for every category.... bored now.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account

Best Picture nominees at The Oscars; which would you vote for?

We are at it again. The Oscars are upon us, and the nominees for every category have been revealed for the 85th Academy Awards (see official thread in the Film/Music/whatever section). And of course we have the most important category - Best Picture, where the Academy awards the best film of the year.

This thread is simply a voting thread. Which film would you vote for? Why? And how many of the 9 nominees did you see? Share with us, and please vote! The more, the better!

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    That movie was released in Japan in 2010...
    So? That didn't stop Spirited Away from winning.

Deleted
    I loved every second of Life of Pi, I hope it wins Best Picture!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    So? That didn't stop Spirited Away from winning.
    That's a good point, I wonder what the loophole was or whether the rules have been changed since 2003 but according to what I read Secret World of Arrietty was ineligible because it was released before January 1st 2011.