Poll: What is your pick for Best Picture at the Oscars this year?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Argo actually was nominated, TDKR wasn't probably due to auroro tragedy controversy, the fact that the oscars pretty much never give a nod to comic book movies (they awarded Heath Ledger one for the Joker, but that was more because he kind of died), and that it wasn't better or even nearly equal to the The Dark Knight.

Skyfall probably would have been nominated had this not been such a competitive year for big ambitious movies striving for that place above being good solid entertainment. (Pretty much all of the movies nominated did this is in some way)
    Also TDKR was pretty bad, atleast to someone who had very high expectations after the previous one. Basically an hour too long and the ending was terrible imo.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    Do you think Lincoln has a " cultural " advantage ?
    Not really. I doubt the Oscar committee will give Lincoln best picture just because "Lincoln is such a cool guy."

The movie was good, don't get me wrong, but I felt it was over-scored in parts.

But hey, the committee has done some weird things in the past...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's depressing that The Hobbit gets two nominations and that joke of a film Lincoln got 12, just goes to show you how worthless the Oscars are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's depressing that The Hobbit gets two nominations and that joke of a film Lincoln got 12, just goes to show you how worthless the Oscars are now.
    Most likely the lesser known films only 2 people saw and care about will win anywho.

Quote Originally Posted by Strear View Post
    Do you think Lincoln has a " cultural " advantage ?
    Historical biography type movies work well with the oscars (King's Speech) although it may be to soon for another one of its type to win.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 02:05 AM ----------

Lincoln was a great film (it is not an action film no, and yes it requires an attention span to sit through) I don't know if it deserves a win, but it deserves to be nominated.

The Hobbit was good, but it was very mixed and also had its flaws, plus it wasn't on the level LotR was which really hurts the movie (even if they are completely different story) since the last middle earth film was the RotK and scored tons of oscars.

The Hobbit is not Oscar worthy, at most it was a really good and entertaining pop corn flick that pleased fans of the books.

And the Oscars are supposed to recognize artistic achievement (yes they don't always get it right), but look at the movies nominated for Best Picture and you can see why they are there, they achieved something greater than entertainment and retained great quality. (Im not questioning the book The Hobbit did that, it's a classic, but AUJ didn't really reach it).

15+ Year Old Account
    The Hobbit was good, but there wasn't a lot in there that was truely Oscar worthy. It was another PJ Tolkien adaptation, the same thing we've come to expect. Not saying it's a bad movie, it's just nothing new. I gave the same reasons for Django. It's another QT movie, nothing too new or exciting, just a good film.

I can understand not liking a movie because of your own personal tastes, but I don't see how you could consider Lincoln to be a joke. Daniel Day Lewis put on an amazing performance, and the movie itself reflected on its historical background fairly accurately. It wasn't anywhere close to being my favorite film this year, but I still admit that it was really good. Could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    The Hobbit was good, but there wasn't a lot in there that was truely Oscar worthy. It was another PJ Tolkien adaptation, the same thing we've come to expect. Not saying it's a bad movie, it's just nothing new. I gave the same reasons for Django. It's another QT movie, nothing too new or exciting, just a good film.
    I'd agree with this. I really enjoyed The Hobbit as well, but it didn't really stand out to me like some of the other films that did get nominated do.
    Last edited by Wynnyelle; 2013-01-13 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I can understand not liking a movie because of your own personal tastes, but I don't see how you could consider Lincoln to be a joke. Daniel Day Lewis put on an amazing performance, and the movie itself reflected on its historical background fairly accurately. It wasn't anywhere close to being my favorite film this year, but I still admit that it was really good. Could you elaborate?

I'd agree with this. I really enjoyed The Hobbit as well, but it didn't really stand out to me like some of the other films that did get nominated do.
    I'd agree with this, it was good, but there was much better.

Also not everyone is a Tolkien fanboy/girl (which are the people who really loved The Hobbit), so it is much easier to satisfy a Tolkien fanboy with references from the book and such making it awesome for some people, for people who aren't Tolkien fanboys they just want a really good movie and those references dont please them simply because they don't get it. (As in the Hobbit with its universal appeal isn't as good as the Lord of the Rings with its universal appeal, and being universally appealing will win you an oscar).

15+ Year Old Account
    and being universally appealing will win you an oscar).
    Eh.. I don't think I agree with that. There are definitely "Oscar Bait" films that roll around between Oct and Dec of each year.

I really don't think films like The Artist or The King's Speech had universal appeal. If we were going off of universal appeal then I guess we could take the higest grossing film which would be The Avengers.

Taking a look at 2011, Harry Potter grossed 1.3 billion, The King's Speech which won the Oscar managed 10% of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Oscars is a corrupt piece of shit rigged from the inside just to sell more movies.
    The Hobbit has only 3 nominations in categories like Makeup!?
    They pioneered 48fps and pulled it off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post
    The Oscars is a corrupt piece of shit rigged from the inside just to sell more movies.
    The Hobbit has only 3 nominations in categories like Makeup!?
    They pioneered 48fps and pulled it off!!
    The 48 fps being pulled off is debatable considering there is tons of controversy over it, and honestly the Hobbit got all the categories it deserved really. It was good and really enjoyable, but it wasn't something that should be winning best picture.

Eh.. I don't think I agree with that. There are definitely "Oscar Bait" films that roll around between Oct and Dec of each year.

I really don't think films like The Artist or The King's Speech had universal appeal. If we were going off of universal appeal then I guess we could take the higest grossing film which would be The Avengers.

Taking a look at 2011, Harry Potter grossed 1.3 billion, The King's Speech which won the Oscar managed 10% of that.
    Universal critic/guild appeal, not audience appeal, big difference there.

Deleted
    Les miserables is worth a watch, seeing great names in that movie who didn't fuck it up =D

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I should have made my point a little clearer I guess. It just goes to show you how the Oscars tend to favor certain kinds of movies and the bulk of the nominations goes to certain films while other good films get ignored.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 03:20 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    Les miserables is worth a watch, seeing great names in that movie who didn't fuck it up =D
    I have heard a lot of people say it was really good, but some say the original was better. Never seen either so I can't really give my opinion though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Universal critic/guild appeal, not audience appeal, big difference there.
    Movie critics haven't been relevant in ages. Also, if Hollywood was so in love with these movies then why don't they make more of them?

I should have made my point a little clearer I guess. It just goes to show you how the Oscars tend to favor certain kinds of movies and the bulk of the nominations goes to certain films while other good films get ignored.

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 03:20 PM ----------

I have heard a lot of people say it was really good, but some say the original was better. Never seen either so I can't really give my opinion though.
    The original, meaning the live production of it, because it isn't based off the live action non-musical one based off the movie, it is based off the live musical based off the book.

Also on another note completely,

I honestly think the Academy should add more categories (especially with all the complaints about movies like The Dark Knight Rises or The Hobbit not getting nominated)

I think Best Picture should remain but it should also have three sub-categories (technically five counting Best Animated Feature and Best Documentary)

They would be
    Best Drama
    Best Comedy/Musical
    Best Action/Thriller (includes Sci-Fi and Fantasy also)

And with that a Best Ensemble, Best Casting, and Best Voice Acting would be nice categories as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Was hoping Hobbit would get a few more nods. It was my favorite movie of the year.
    With it being a trilogy they usually give the most awards to the last movie, I think they did the same with LOTR.

Movie critics haven't been relevant in ages. Also, if Hollywood was so in love with these movies then why don't they make more of them?
    They do, Lincoln is the same kind of movie The King's Speech is, but you aren't going to spawn a franchise off of The King's Speech nor would you want a remake.

The people who in the Academy are guilds who have a much bigger appreciation for the art of a movie than the entertainment value of a movie. So when I say universal appeal I am talking about universal appeal to the people who are actually allowed to vote and nominate in the Oscars.

Golden Globes winners were announced, Argo and Les Mis took home best picture (they have two categories for it), yet neither of them have a best director nom for the oscars making a win by either of them not all that likely.

It is flat out robbery that J. Phoenix wasn't nominated for best actor. Not saying he should have won it, but to not even put him in the running was a bit absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, if you want to see The Hobbit, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods and The Hunger Games score big, go to People’s Choice Awards or the MTV Movie Awards, they are for people like you. The Academy Awards are honoring artistic films with more on the mind than pure entertainment (yes, Chris Nolan is a fantastic director and all, but comic book flicks and horror shows aren’t meant for this kind of honor, sorry to say). The Academy Awards reward important films by important directors, which is why it isn’t for the masses. No wonder you don’t know half of the nominated films, you probably only watched a couple of movies last year. But we are many who watch most movies (one way or another) that come out every year, and follow the Oscars closely. We appreciate films as an art form. It’s fine if you didn’t like Amour because it was depressing (you probably didn’t even watch it). But please don’t show up everywhere on the internet, whining about the snubs you are clearly biased for. As I mentioned, there are Awards shows for the masses. But those are not the Oscars. There are dimensions between the two. This is just a reminder to the average moviegoer, that he or she shouldn’t care that much for the Oscars if he or she doesn’t care much for the film business either. The People’s Choice Awards are clearly more important for you.

Guys, don’t look at this post as flaming or hating on the average moviegoer and the masses, and please don’t call me a snob or a hipster. I am just a fan of cinema who respects the work of our directors, and films as an art form. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t like a movie, there are other movies for you. Every year thousands of people, including myself, endure the massive outcry that is produced by the public on every possible site on the internet, when the Oscar nominations are announced. And I’m sick and tired of people claiming Joss Whedon got snubbed while Michael Haneke is a piece of trash, even though they clearly didn’t see his movie.

Again, this is not an attempt to start a flamewar, nor is it any kind of attempt to insult the mainstream audiences or elevate more serious audiences.