10+ Year Old Account

Defense of the Alehouse (new BG preview)

MMOchamp video preview-

Obviously this new BG is in it's very early stages, but how do people feel about it?
    What are those sha-esque and arena sections? Bosses?

I can see that Blizzard want to use their shiny new Pandaria terrain and structures, and at a glance I imagine the concept involves the Tushui (Alliance) and Huojin (Horde) Pandaren facing off over control of each opposing brewery. Maybe even Ji Firepaw and Aysa Cloudsinger will make an appearance.

My fear is that this battleground will become the new Isle of Conquest, with players avoiding actual PvP at all costs. The enormous map suggests that players will use waterwalking and wallhugging to avoid players, NPCs, towers etc.

If you look at AV and the original DOTA, the terrain itself is very funneled for the most part in both, lots of bottlenecks to intercept/snare the opposing factions, but there are also small holes for escape routes.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is rather big. Is it a 40man bg, I really do hope so cos' it would be about time
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    It is rather big. Is it a 40man bg, I really do hope so cos' it would be about time
    For the love of God, please, no.

Man I was hoping against hope to see Azshara Crater this expansion.

Hopefully they incorporate DotA rules well into WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

If it turns out to be DotA, then it'll favour classes who can 1v1 and 1v2 effectively, so glad I'm gearing up a Warrior instead of Spriest.

Quote Originally Posted by Krixooks View Post
    I'm certain it will be a 40-man, the map is just too huge for it to be anything less.
    Its the dota style BG that Blizz has been saying they have been working on and if that's the case, Its 5v5 just like any other dota style game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronas View Post
    Its the dota style BG that Blizz has been saying they have been working on and if that's the case, Its 5v5 just like any other dota style game.
    Just because DotA has 10 total players doesn't stop it from working with more

Will be very interesting to see how this works out, remember it's in very early stages at the moment so it may all change.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Man I was hoping against hope to see Azshara Crater this expansion.
    Dude, they've been saying for like 3 expansions at least that Azshara Crater has been scrapped permanently and will never be implemented.

They dropped a mountain on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    No way, in 5v5 even if you went looking for a player to fight your chances of finding one would be slim. Imagine when people write bots for it!
    I'm certain it will be 40v40, the map is just too huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    If it turns out to be DotA, then it'll favour classes who can 1v1 and 1v2 effectively, so glad I'm gearing up a Warrior instead of Spriest.
    Hmm it depends on the objectives, if it's like the original DOTA and you can't really win without destroying the towers, you will see people fighting at those nodes and it won't be 1v1 at all.

Blizzard are going to have to design this BG with extreme caution. WoW gameplay is not the same as WC3.

Deleted
    Only way I wouldn't loath this map is if it were 40vs40, altough a great many other peole would.

No way, in 5v5 even if you went looking for a player to fight your chances of finding one would be slim. Imagine when people write bots for it!
    I'm certain it will be 40v40, the map is just too huge.

The scale of the map and the fact that its difficult to find enemy players in the jungle is part of the strategy. There's very good reasons why players will want to be a key points in the map (In the lanes farming minions or pushing towers is where they will be most of the time unless they are the jungler). Its also not a game mode where you run around killing players as the main objective, The main objective of the game is to destroy towers to get to the base to kill the nexus and win the game.

It could have more then 5 on a team if they set it up correctly, but 40 v 40 turns into a base turtleing / Zerg rushing game that wouldn't resemble dota at all. 15 v 15 would probably be the highest that it would still work in, groups of 5 in each lane.

10+ Year Old Account
    The scale of the map and the fact that its difficult to find enemy players in the jungle is part of the strategy. There's very good reasons why players will want to be a key points in the map (In the lanes farming minions or pushing towers is where they will be most of the time unless they are the jungler). Its also not a game mode where you run around killing players as the main objective, The main objective of the game is to destroy towers to get to the base to kill the nexus and win the game.

It could have more then 5 on a team if they set it up correctly, but 40 v 40 turns into a base turtleing / Zerg rushing game that wouldn't resemble dota at all. 15 v 15 would probably be the highest that it would still work in, groups of 5 in each lane.
    Ok I can see what you're saying, and I too would hate it to become a "zerg" battleground too.

I think we'll have to see a very different design altogether for it to work with WoW. After all, we're not going to be gaining xp and gearing ourselves in the battleground.

I'm imagining commissioned siege engines (like the ones in Tol Barad that you deploy rather than pilot) or something along those lines.

Ok I can see what you're saying, and I too would hate it to become a "zerg" battleground too.

I think we'll have to see a very different design altogether for it to work with WoW. After all, we're not going to be gaining xp and gearing ourselves in the battleground.

I'm imagining commissioned siege engines (like the ones in Tol Barad that you deploy rather than pilot) or something along those lines.
    Have the minions give points (similar to how justice would work but only for the game you are in) to players that help kill them or maybe within a certain radius of the minion and that will be the same as gold in Dota. Its given to all players if the size of the teams is higher then 5 and the item/buff/whatever costs are balanced around the whole team getting gold as long as they are participating in a lane.

You have ranks (Similar to Wintergrasp) that you go up in from receiving a certain amount of points that gives you (lets say) 5% buff to all stats and stacks up to (lets say) 20 ranks.

The gear could instead be buffs that your player keeps until the BG is over and has very unique effects, They could also have fun ones that (In theory) Could make a rogues weapons look like Warglaves that cause him to proc additional Fel-Fire damage every time he uses a combo point building move.

This could also be added to other classes and very iconic weapons, Ashbringer for a Paladin, Frostmourne for Dks, Etc.