Poll: See below

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Well, you guys are strange or weird

But you know most people aren't really expecting an answer besides "good".
    People always give me weird looks when I pause to ponder the best way to answer this question. Being a social norm doesn't make the behavior any less shallow. It tends to be more fun in my experience to genuinely try to be engaged when people converse with you. I suppose that may not be for everyone though.

You need an extra option: "Relieved".

Honestly, "We should hang out sometime" just means "I like you enough to say hi and have fun conversations when I run into you on campus, but I'm quite comfortable keeping our relationship at that level." I love hearing this and I love not having to come up with a fake excuse to not hang out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    The problem is that because most people don't, most people don't answer truthfully either. I've unloaded on people who innocently asked me how I'm doing before and I could see fear and outrage in their eyes as they are totally taken aback by me not saying "fine"
    That's why my common response to the question "How are you?" is

"Would you like the polite answer, or the honest answer?"
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    That's why my common response to the question "How are you?" is

"Would you like the polite answer, or the honest answer?"
    That's just mean! Now they're forced to be polite and ask you to lay it on them

Deleted
    I think people say "We should hang out sometime" just to be polite. I bumped into a guy from elementary school with whom i barely ever spoke and he told me just that

i mean what am i supposed to say to a guy? i just said "yea,sure" and went on with my business.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's just mean! Now they're forced to be polite and ask you to lay it on them
    Nah, you'd be surprised how many people ask for just the polite answer :P

Depending on who the person is and what the relationship is like or was like It can be annoying, sometimes I make the effort but most of the time I figure if we aren't as great of friends and we *Have* to set time aside or struggle to find it, we aren't worth much to each other and we can get into that comfortable "Hi, nice to see you." and 2-3 minute catch up before we're both on our jolly way again.. that phrase can just be a conversation ender and a quick release hatch to get out of there in a polite and easy manner, know I've used it once or twice.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    If I was so eager to meet those people, I could arrange a meeting myself and not blame it on them, so I don't really blame people for doing that ^^ Gotta admit I did that aswell already and it didn't really affect my life or theirs drastically, so not really worth getting into a bad mood over such a small thing.

Deleted
    To be honest I find it infinitely more annoying when these people do call you to arrange to "hang out". You don't reply with total honesty when someone asks how are you with "O, not too good, my cat needed to go the vet yesterday and I have a huge electricity bill due to be paid this week", so why the hell should some face from the past who I've dropped out of contact in the first place for a reason expect me to drop everything due to a chance meeting? These seeming inanities are social lubricants designed to make those awkward moments when you bump into someone that you used to know go that much easier. Sure, if you happen upon someone from your past that you very much regret losing contact with an email or facebook poke would be a good idea, but its outrageous to expect everyone to do so just like you don't expect someone's life story when you ask how they have been.

im just direct and say what i think. never had any problems with misunderstandings.
    i dont get you people at all, you yourself are even using those "hollow" phrases as if you had a patent on them. do you really honestly believe that its polite to take your conversational partner for a fool who cant handle some honesty? you really think that? maybe you should think again..

honesty gets repaid with honesty, half assed phrases get repaid with half assed phrases. deal with it

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they don't attach a date to the "we need to hang out", I simply ignore it.

I'd probably ask you how long the honest answer would take.

People are less polite than I give them credit for.... ._.

is that really impolite, though? That seems more a manner of maintaining regular social expectations.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    is that really impolite, though? That seems more a manner of maintaining regular social expectations.
    But it's admitting that you don't care. I mean, it's better than giving me the stink eyes when I give an honest answer, but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    I'd probably ask you how long the honest answer would take.
    How long have you got?
    You're only just realising this?!
    To be fair, the line is delivered in quite a jokey manner, which seems to make people more inclined to respond honestly.
    I can actually be quite charming IRL when I put my mind to it, honest!

Did you guys ever consider people can be sincere when they say it, they really do want to spend time with you and catch up? I don't know about everyone else, but I only have so many hours a week for free time, the rest is taken up by work, family, and other crap. Some times you want to spend time, but that just never seems to come, and when it finally does it may not include getting in touch because by that time you simply forgot. Another person's world doesn't revolve around you.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

But it's admitting that you don't care. I mean, it's better than giving me the stink eyes when I give an honest answer, but still.
    Think I agree with Sema here, if I ask someone else how they are and they want to tell me their life story, its polite to go with it. I ask a question that can be taken in that fashion and should therefore be prepared to deal with the response. If I honestly dont care how they feel just use "Hello".

You're only just realising this?!
    In my defence, I'm a socially handicapped and introverted freak who don't speak to real people!!

To be fair, the line is delivered in quite a jokey manner, which seems to make people more inclined to respond honestly.
    I can actually be quite charming IRL when I put my mind to it, honest!
    :totally suspicious:

It's nothing that bother's me a whole lot. It's the modern day, less-affectionate version of saying "I miss you." People say they need to do a whole lot of things. Saying they need to do it, or want to do it, doesn't mean they will do it.

Case in point:

I need to lose weight. XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.