Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

What is your defination of a Re-skin and Re-model

Before I go kill people in this BG I'm going to make this thread as It's been bothering me ever since I looked at the giant do-do bird thread.

Now go on explain it to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    A remodel is something that looks brand new, like a Sha for example. A reskin is something that has the same shape as something else, but just recolored or textured. A good example was the proto drakes and firehawks from FL

Edit: fixxed typos
    Last edited by Grakey; 2013-01-11 at 06:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grakey View Post
    A reskin is something that looks brand new, like a Sha for example. A remodel is something that has the same shape as something else, but just recolored or textured. A good example was the proto drakes and firehawks from FL
    False. A reskin is when only the texture of a model is redone; A remodel, however, is a complete overhaul. We say remodel since we have to redo the whole modelling again, and not just the texturing part. I think you mixed both

10+ Year Old Account
    reskin = everything is the same but with different texture
    remodel = same "skeleton" (animations and limb sizes) but everything else is different

Playable dwarf -> Dark Iron dwarf = Reskin
    Playable dwarf -> Old goblin model = Remodel

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't there sort of an objective answer to this?

Model is the body on the skeleton.

Skin is just the superficial colours and textures.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Re-Skin is usually a mob that has the same appereance as one in game, but has different colours or skin textures, a Re-model is everything changed on it, except the skeleton (with a few improvements)

Example:
    Re-skin: Raven Lord, Flametalon of Alysrazor
    Re-model: Worgen to Saurok, Nelf to Jinyu.

Deleted
    Altered model.
    Altered texture.

Pretty simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, I can make the front page of a thread with this info? Wow! Someone might actually listen for once...

Recently, there seems to be a dissolution among the playerbase between "remodel" and "reskin." While this normally wouldn't bug me, people seem like complaining about anything they perceive to be a reskin. Which bugs me. Which is also why I've posted things like this quite a few times.

There is one simple question to ask yourself when deciding whether something is a remodel or a reskin: Is the model exactly the same?

If the answer is anything BUT "yes, it is exactly the same," it is a remodel.

And now for those pictures I promised!

So, what does a reskin look like?

Here's a blue flamewalker. Pretty standard.

Okay, now, here's a RESKINNED flamewalker:

See? No extraneous armor plating, no changed body size.

This is what a "reskin" actually is.

Now, I posit a question: Is shannox a reskin of a flamewalker?

You might be inclined to say "yeah, it's just a more detailed. I mean sure, he has some armor, a different body build and horns and stuff but real-"

And that's where you should cut yourself off. Different horns? Different body build? Armor? Yep, remodel.

Here's a picture of Shannox:

Now, if Shannox truly was a "reskin" of a flamewalker, you could take his "skin," or the 2D image that wraps around his model, and interchange it with the flamewalker, and there would be no graphical bugs, no mashed, pixels, everything would sit just hunky doory.

I hope I don't need to tell you that wouldn't be the case.

But hey, just to drive the point home, here are some MORE examples!

Here's a turquoise raptor mount.

And here's the swift razzashi raptor:

Now, if I were to ask you, "is the swift Razzashi raptor a reskin of the turquoise raptor?" your answer might be "Well yeah, all they did was give it that extra frill behind its head and armor plates on its tail"

But of course, those of you that have been paying attention would think to yourself: "But wait... those armor plates... that frill... those are NEW! So it must be a... remodel, not a reskin!"

And those of you who came to this conclusion would be correct. For remember, a reskin is able to be laid over another model without creating any graphical glitches at all.

So lets overlay the turquoise raptor skin over the armored raptor model, shall we?

This is what you end up with.

Very clearly, not just a "reskin."

Oh, and for the record, the flametalon is a remodel of the raven lord, not a reskin.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-01-11 at 06:44 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

A reskin is a gameplay asset which has a reused skeleton and model, but a new texture, aka 'skin.' A remodel is an asset with a reused skeleton, but a new model and texture. For reference, a skeleton is the basis for the asset's animations, a model is the set of polygons and vertices that defines the asset's shape, and a texture is an image that gets 'painted' onto the model to give it color and detail.

The dodo bird chick has the raptor skeleton, but while it resembles the Raven Lord (which is itself a remodel of the raptor) in shape it does not have the same model. The beak and head are shaped differently and it lacks armor and a saddle, both of which are built into the Raven Lord's model. This makes the dodo chick a remodel.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    The dodo bird chick has the raptor skeleton, but while it resembles the Raven Lord (which is itself a remodel of the raptor) in shape it does not have the same model. The beak and head are shaped differently and it lacks armor and a saddle, both of which are built into the Raven Lord's model. This makes the dodo chick a remodel.
    Just because two models share the same animations and skeleton doesn't mean one or the other's a remodel.

As in Raven Lord's not a remodel of the raptor, it's another model entirely.

10+ Year Old Account

Some modding communities call model swaps reskins though, which leads to some confusion.

There is only one correct definition

If the skin (texture) is different then it's a reskin
    The texture is literally the skin of the model, it couldn't possibly mean anything else
    If the model (geometry) is different then it's a remodel

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow I feel ridiculously dumber right now, Thank you all like I had like a 30 min argument with a closefriend saying a firehawk a reskin It was a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    Before I go kill people in this BG I'm going to make this thread as It's been bothering me ever since I looked at the giant do-do bird thread.

Now go on explain it to me.
    Laymen's definitions don't matter. But people thinking they can redefine words at will is a big problem on the internet, and runs rampant on these forums. Just the last couple weeks people trying to argue the meaning of violence and sport. Another favorite of mine in the gaming sector is content, oh boy do people think they can change the definition of that word at will.

I will say some great posts here explaining the difference and I feel like a better person for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    A remodel is something that uses the same skeleton as an older model but has a new model and texture. A reskin is the same skeleton and model bit a new texture which can be as simple as changing the color.

What Imnick said

i came here for the pictures!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I hear people say bring War back to World of Warcraft, well how about bringing World back to World of Warcraft

I'm glad there's some people who have been able to enlighten me to this. I have often found myself mixing remodel versus reskin when it comes to the jinyu and nelfs, flametalon and raven lord, etc. Kudos to you guys. You may want to make an official post of this stuff on the WoW forums if it hasn't already been done. Or make it an early response to someone's complaint so it can get upvoted and perhaps a blue post, then maybe people will finally can it about the whole "lazy blizz" BS.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Animations are definitely a cool thing and in an ideal world we could have personalised ones for every model.
    This isn't an ideal world though. Rigging models is a fairly lengthy process and also utterly pointless when you already have a skeleton that is just about the right shape prepared.

People get upset when their mount looks a little like a Proto Drake (the new Pterodactyls even do have some new animations, though they inherit the posture) but the alternative would be half as many new models as we get.
    Blizzard usually do a fantastic job with their artwork and personally I think it'd be a huge shame if they had to reuse models in every content patch just to appease people who refuse to allow them to reuse animations even when they are totally fitting and appropriate for the model using them.
    Last edited by Imnick; 2013-01-11 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Blizzard usually do a fantastic job with their artwork and personally I think it'd be a huge shame if they had to reuse models in every content patch just to appease people who refuse to allow them to reuse animations [i]even when they are totally fitting and appropriate for the model using them[/u].
    These are the people who probably walk around yelling at mother nature for re-using the same skeleton and animations on so many creatures. If they ever go outside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    There is only one correct definition

If the skin (texture) is different then it's a reskin
    The texture is literally the skin of the model, it couldn't possibly mean anything else
    If the model (geometry) is different then it's a remodel

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/51926430/WoW/Remodel.jpg
    I'm so glad I see my picture on page 1 in this thread. :')
    Looking marvelous in velvet.