Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Find someone that will drive you (mentally not in a car). I'm 6'5" around 265. I've been fat pretty much since 4th grade and onyl got fatter until a couple years ago when I started losing weight. About two months or so ago I could feel myself getting more lethargic and fatter thanks to a lifestyle change which found my living by myself with pretty much no one to do anything with. I ended up reconnecting with my old best friend who I moved away from in 3rd grade and it was like something just snapped in my mind. Since I started talking with her again I've never been more motivated to improve myself. I've been doing 3-5 miles of walking and jogging every day on a treadmill when I get home from work, lifting, doing other exercises, etc. You need something to motivate you, to inspire you to want to change. It has to be more than "I am sick of being fat and I don't want to die." You have to find that thing that you want to change yourself for be it a person, being able to fit in a certain shirt, etc.

As others have noted, start with diet first. Take a week off from anything with added sugars, especially HFCS. I have honestly never felt better mentally or physically since I stopped drinking anything containing HFCS. That shit is a drug, and not the good kind.

Oh and I really don't know if you're going to school or working or what, but that determines how much diet and exercise you can do. Because obviously if you're working crazy hours you don't have time to exercise every day (which is okay because you're still being active. Being active is good). And also, I know that sometimes there are some special occasions that require you to get some extra food in you for some extra energy. (Ex. During my finals week, I had SO many papers to write and tests to study for, all in the weekend leading into Finals week and the week itself. I was taking fullest possible schedule with some high end physics classes and these bullshit "core" classes that were easy but required a lot of work and writing. For reference, I had around 6 papers, a website to build, a take home test that the teacher made ridiculously hard since it was take home that the class worked together on during the time frame it was due, and the sickest hardest Electricity and Magnetism test ever. Sorry for the dramatic buildup, but I ate 7/9 slices of a Sicilian pizza by myself in like 3 days (along with 4 subway sandwiches and 2 sodas (I had a coupon) in one day in those same 3 days, like 5 homecooked meals and I hit up KFC twice, each time enough for dinner + an all nighter worth of snacks. Yes, I ate like a fat fuck that whole week, the point of this anecdote is sometimes you'll have to eat more than your diet allows, but manage it as to how important the reason for breaking your diet is.) That doesn't mean to take a weekend off because you've been good, if you have that attitude your diet will never work; but if there is some circumstance where you need the energy and it's important, you'll have to use your own discretion, and even though my example was crazy, this does happen on smaller scales that is dependent on your school/work life. (Ex. Maybe you need coffee because your job starts at 4 AM, even though coffee is bad for you. You'll have to work around that.)

So be mindful of your real life situation.

You'd need to check out thyroid activity, it seems to me it may be too low. Other than that, you need to eat less and exercise. Since you are 500+, you should really see a doctor about that. You need to know how much exercise your body can safely handle. Probably rather little at start, but you will be able to increase it over time. The 2 most important thing is to lower the calories you consume while increase your base metabolic rate. Doing the latter will help with your fatigue and mood too.

Do consult with experts, that's the most important thing, at least until you are in a much more manageable weight range.

Best advice I can give is to throw away all televisions/computers in your house as well as any other device that lets you connect to the internet.
    The pounds will start falling off with no effort at all.

You don't need to diet just spend your time doing something productive that requires you to do something other than sit down even if it is nothing more than walking to the local library to take advantage of their internet.

It is also a good idea to quit drinking soda "all soda including diet), I dunno why but with that one little change I was able to steadily lose 10 pounds per month with no other changes in activity or diet.

I personally try to stay away from prepackaged foods and my diet consists mainly of Red meat and seafood, but I do have a softspot for potato products as well as pasta/rice, My veggie intake is lacking but thats not necessarily a bad thing as all my veggies are fried in butter and garlic or Topped with Mayo.
    Last edited by skrump; 2013-01-11 at 04:17 PM.

Deleted
    You need a lifestyle change, diets don't do jack if you go stuff yourself when you're done.

Eat fruit and vegetables, drink water and do 30-60 minutes cardio every day and banish Mcdonalds or other crap food from your life.

Deleted
    Exercise for you will be simply moving. Depending on your knees/joints just start to walk for a mile every morning. Get you fav music, or listen to audiobook and have fifteen minutes of walk.

Yes you have have to change the your diet, you can`t outrun a fork, but start simple, cut plain sugar first (like in coffee, sweets and soda), you`ll have 2-3 heayv days because your body is so used to that, but it will end soon. It`s ok if you can only get rid of one at the time (for example Coke Cola if you drink that, most do) will be your first pounds to drop, you`ll be suprised. In genreral, your goal to work to, slowly, cut carbohydrates low (50-150gr a day, you can use the 150 easy for the beginning), avoid sugary stuff (salad dressing, alot of hidden sugar, ketchup). Don`t be afraid of fat though, as long it isn`t plant based (except coconut/olive).

For more advanced stuff, google low carb diet (it works, but i wouldn`t go soooo low fat again, like i did when i lost weigth). Paleo also works, but is a little harder (i just like my dieary).

And for most, with you pounds, go see a doctor.

Some thinks to consider:
    1. kcal in/out isn`t determined in the mouth or on your plate, but what gets into the bloodstream and the hormonel response.
    2. Strength/Buildingbuilding is more effective then plain cardio, and for me and i had way more fun then get bored on a crosstrainer/bike.
    3. Excercise increase your metabolism, it dosn`t burn too many kcal by itself.
    4. Get a hole making thingy for your belt, plan in the cost for new trousers/jeans.
    5. Get a structured day, my big problem right now.

You want more, just search the forum there are alot of details in here, search for my name and fitness related threads, but start simple, try cut soda, trink only water, a cup of coffee is ok. Avoid Sugar mostly, and try not to start the day with sugar/cereals, get 2 eggs some beacon or 3-4 for eggs.

Good Luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Its hard to work out at that weight, so i recommend starting to eat healthy for a while than when your weight improves start working out.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

My buddy had lap band surgery done and lost 20 kilos in 3 months and is still going. If you can afford it give it a try. He said the procedure is reversable and painless. He was pretty much the same as you but he says this Lapband put a brick wall in front of him he simply can't eat. I feel so happy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKen View Post
    I'm going to start of by saying that I'm 20 years old. I'm 6'5" and I weight over 500 pounds. I'm scared to weigh myself. I'm scared that it won't be 500 but be 600 or more. You can't really tell that I weigh that much. I think that my height distributes the weight evenly so while I do look really big (and I mean really big, I can barely fit in a 4 door sedan) I don't look like I'm 500 pounds plus. People ask me how much I weigh and I lie, I say like 300 pounds. I've been big for most of my life, Probably 10 years now. Each year it gets worse and worse. I don't have any health issues that I know about. The only thing that I know I have is fatigue and sleep apnea. I'm worried that sometime in the near future I will develop Diabetes or something bad. I'm depressed and while it may not show, I know that I am. It hurts me to see myself like this, and I can't do anything about it. I've tried. I've tried many times. Somehow my mind just tells me no. Somehow I talk myself out of doing anything about it. I feel trapped. I want to get out, I want to feel normal. How do you guys manage to do it. Are there any tricks to get myself to go to the gym, to stop eating. I probably consume over 3000 calories a day. I fucking hate my life right now. Please give me any tips that will allow me to rethink my life, even though I am rethinking it right now, I know that come tomorrow I'll forget this, I'll just go on doing the same fucking thing everyday. Eat, Sleep, EAT EAT EAT FUCKING EAT... This is hard for me.
    Read;http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh...heet_%28WIP%29

If you weigh over 500lbs you are eating way more than 3000 calories a day,that's probably part of your problem you aren't aware how much you really eat in a day.
    There is only 1 trick dedication.Talk to a doctor,start eating correctly,and don't push to hard on the exercise part at first.

Deleted
    Watch all the Rocky movies, that should give inspiration.

Then whenever you exercise listen to this song:

I mean the song completely tells you what: THERE IS SIMPLY NO EASY WAY OUT.

You have to change lifestyle and everything, there is simply no easy way out.

Look up Marks Daily Apple. (Sorry I can't post links yet because this is my first post )

My husband and I have both had great success by going paleo. Please read the blog, especially the success stories.

You also might want to try Whole9. I thought it would be hard to give up a lot of foods, but in the end it was well worth and I feel much better than I have in years.

Eat whole, healthy foods, cut out processed foods, sugar and other total crap. Most importantly though you should go to your Doctor and have a complete physical and blood work-up then go from there.. I wish you the best of luck in finding the motivation you need and sticking with it, I know it's hard. It's a daily struggle>

I first heard about Whole9/Whole30 on these very forums and from there I found Mark Sisson.

How do you feel about vegetables? You could probably stuff your face with them and lose weight... I have a friend who has never worked out, and lost 78 lbs but his diet consists of this (Actual picture from my friend: http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...04922346_n.jpg

Basically 80% vegetables, some chicken, fish and tofu. You can eat two oreos for 200 calories, or you can eat a big motherfucking salad and stuff yourself full for.. 100 calories? Maybe less! That way you can eat as much as you want, get all the minerals and vitamins you need, and you can always grab some fat-free dressing sauce for the salad, they're actually pretty good.

That said, you might be a vegetable hater like i used to be, but you just gotta force yourself, adapt, or if you really want it the best way to approach it is to find ways to cook everything the way you like it.

You say you have no health problems, but im pretty sure you would feel worlds better if you ate properly and lost weight, it's easy to think youre feeling ok when youre not, just because youve been that way for a long time.

For starters anyways, instead of chips and cookies, you could always eat some carrots and celery with some veggie dip, itlll be better than your side-meals for sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to suggest something here I've been doing myself to lose weight: Look into a Very Low Calory Diet (VLCD) shake diet. You basically drink nothing but water, protein shakes containing your daily vitamin needs and a few allowed veggies, plus things like miso soup and such.

What you're doing is deliberately putting your body into starvation mode. The thing is though, if you do it properly, you'll stop feeling hungry after about day four.

At about 4-5 days in your body actually shuts down the carbohydrate burning factory in your body, shuts down your stomach's hunger signals and starts converting your body's fat stores to a burnable fuel source.

These aren't fad diets, but there are some risks you should ask a doctor about. It's not worth it for healthy people, but if you're in the 500 pound range then it's perfect for you. The larger portion of the weight will drop off quickly, you'll only have to deal with controling "mental hunger" or stress eating. I won't say that's easy but you won't have that pit-of-the-stomach gnawing hunger after a few days, and it gets a lot easier.

Look it up on Wikipedia, talk to your doctor about VLCDs. I won't throw any brand names or fad diets out there, but look into it. It might work for you.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'm going to suggest something here I've been doing myself to lose weight: Look into a Very Low Calory Diet (VLCD) shake diet. You basically drink nothing but water, protein shakes containing your daily vitamin needs and a few allowed veggies, plus things like miso soup and such.

What you're doing is deliberately putting your body into starvation mode. The thing is though, if you do it properly, you'll stop feeling hungry after about day four.

At about 4-5 days in your body actually shuts down the carbohydrate burning factory in your body, shuts down your stomach's hunger signals and starts converting your body's fat stores to a burnable fuel source.

These aren't fad diets, but there are some risks you should ask a doctor about. It's not worth it for healthy people, but if you're in the 500 pound range then it's perfect for you. The larger portion of the weight will drop off quickly, you'll only have to deal with controling "mental hunger" or stress eating. I won't say that's easy but you won't have that pit-of-the-stomach gnawing hunger after a few days, and it gets a lot easier.

Look it up on Wikipedia, talk to your doctor about VLCDs. I won't throw any brand names or fad diets out there, but look into it. It might work for you.
    The problem with these sort of diets are that they aren't long term. They are best for shedding a few kilos. Not to be used as like other diets out there. Cause after all you are gonna start eating food again and that is most likely going to lead to weight gain again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    The problem with these sort of diets are that they aren't long term. They are best for shedding a few kilos. Not to be used as like other diets out there. Cause after all you are gonna start eating food again and that is most likely going to lead to weight gain again.
    I agree with this, but you dont gain weight unless you're in a calori surplus, no matter what.

I dont recommend a VLCD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Yeah, that's a fair enough point. But you're forgetting one thing: Sometimes the intial weight loss goal is so insurmountable, so demotivating, so far away... A quick head start is the only motivational boost to get started. I'm speaking from experience.

If you do a VLCD properly, you don't just go back to scarfing pizzas and burgers the second you hit your goal weight. Hell, you don't even stay on the intensive shake diet for the whole time. The whole point of a proper VLCD diet is following it properly in the right stages and transitioning back onto normal food one meal at a time. You also have to stay reasonably active and make some permanent changes, because those fat cells haven't disappeared... They're just empty.

But that's not the point. I like to compartmentalize problems; i.e. what's the first thing I can do something about? A large chunk of weight gone. You have to lose the weight before you can stress about keeping it off. The problem of maintenance comes later. No point in worrying about it at the start, as long as you stay mindful of its eventuality and have mental discipline.

Also if you're like the OP, taking three times as long while doing the whole nothing but carrots, celery and lean meats thing while hitting the gym 5 times a week as a 450 pound person while you have 12+ months of gnawing hunger in the pit of your stomach... Yeah, no. Go on a VLCD and suffer for maybe 3 days, switch off the hunger signals, do some light walking every day and build it up as you lose weight and increase your protein intake. Much better way for morbidly obese people to start their weight loss journey.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I went Vegan and truth be told I lost a ton of weight. It takes self control at first to not eat the foods you like but sooner or later it will just be second nature.

Deleted
    I can't claim to have been in your exact situation, but I have faced something similar.

I've been overweight for most of my life, ever since I can remember really, I was bigger than other kids. I was lucky enough that I didn't face any bullying because of it and I've had quite a happy life.

In my teenage years however, it went really overboard. I got hooked on video games, I stopped what little excersise I did to begin with and I didn't cut down on stuffing my face. If anything it got worse. It was really bad, I could easily eat 10 Mars bars and drink 2 liters of Coca Cola in a day. Not that it happened everyday, but it did happen with some frequency.

At the age of 17 I ended up weighing roughly 300 pounds and I was 6ft on the dot. I was miserable, I was way larger than ANY of my friends and classmates. I didn't let it show, but I hated myself. When I stood infront of a mirror, all I could think of was how fat and disgusting I was and I kept convincing myself that there was no point in stopping now. My friends noticed that I was beside myself after some months, luckily. I am usually quite a friendly and welcoming guy, but in those days all I did was mope. They sat me down, they talked to me and they refused to leave me alone until I basically broke down crying and confessed how I felt. Then they talked to my parents and from there it got better.

I ended up attending a boarding school of sorts, for people of all ages. I was the youngest at 17, but the age range went from 17 all the way up to 50 and everything in between. Here I learned proper eating habits, had a personal coach to schedule my workouts and plenty of support, because everyone else was in a similar situation.

It's hard. It is really hard when you've gotten used to it. I remember not liking the idea of going to this school because it just felt so embarrasing. I was really shy about my weight and getting weighed the first time was an awful experience, because I knew I had to face the music with all the possible damage I had done to my body, I just wanted to be left alone. I was miserable the first couple of weeks. Then I got weighed again after two weeks and I had lost roughly 15 pounds. Not all fat of course, but still. And suddenly it was like everything brightened up.

I do not know what resources you have available, but facing a challenge like this alone is REALLY hard. My advice would be seek help. Doctors, dietists, personal trainers - ANYTHING. I know it might sound awful and that you'd rather be spared, but having that motivation really does help progress. It's hard man, I wish you the best of luck.

I'm an example of it working though. I turned 21 this November, i'm 6.2" and I weigh roughly 215 pounds, never been happier.

EDIT: Typo
    Last edited by mmoc5fa303d2cd; 2013-01-19 at 01:22 PM.

"I'm going to start of by saying that I'm 20 years old. I'm 6'5" and I weight over 500 pounds. I'm scared to weigh myself. I'm scared that it won't be 500 but be 600 or more. You can't really tell that I weigh that much. I think that my height distributes the weight evenly so while I do look really big (and I mean really big, I can barely fit in a 4 door sedan) I don't look like I'm 500 pounds plus. People ask me how much I weigh and I lie, I say like 300 pounds. I've been big for most of my life, Probably 10 years now. Each year it gets worse and worse. I don't have any health issues that I know about. The only thing that I know I have is fatigue and sleep apnea. I'm worried that sometime in the near future I will develop Diabetes or something bad. I'm depressed and while it may not show, I know that I am. It hurts me to see myself like this, and I can't do anything about it. I've tried. I've tried many times. Somehow my mind just tells me no. Somehow I talk myself out of doing anything about it. I feel trapped. I want to get out, I want to feel normal. How do you guys manage to do it. Are there any tricks to get myself to go to the gym, to stop eating. I probably consume over 3000 calories a day. I fucking hate my life right now. Please give me any tips that will allow me to rethink my life, even though I am rethinking it right now, I know that come tomorrow I'll forget this, I'll just go on doing the same fucking thing everyday. Eat, Sleep, EAT EAT EAT FUCKING EAT... This is hard for me."

Hey BigKen! I am too a heavy fellow of 21 years and I feel for you. From my personal experience, I had always had weight issues since I was 5 years old. I feel like being so big kept me from expressing my true self for the greater part of my life and my weight peaked right before i turned 17 at 300lbs and a 6'0" height. That was the first time I truly cried and realized my self fulfilling prophecy of being heavy my whole life had come true and I missed out on most of the things normal teens got to do. Playing varsity football and having friends that year really helped my self image and i managed to get down to 230 before I graduated high school. I felt like I was finally worth something in the big picture and this really terrible egocentric view of my self seemed to dissipate. The following year in college I had epic success getting a slim first-girlfriend who lived right above my apartment and you know what we did every single night.
    Obesity and mental disease have been linked together. New theories about biocentricity say that time is not linear nor finite as we perceive it to be and the whole universe would cease to exist if it were not for consciousness. We are who we decide to be, and in this day and age where so many distractions keep us oblivious to our own goals, it is imperative to understand our own meaning and where our journey has taken us since the big bang. Introspective idling is the bane of conscious decision making. You should check out this documentary on hulu or youtube called "Forks over Knives" which has amazing dietary information about why eating meat is just bad for you in general. I myself have given up crab and lobster entirely as I can't tolerate eating something that went through 10 seconds of hell before it was served on my plate. My lowest weight was at 205 and now i have spiraled back to 250.
    Seeing a therapist may or may not help you. I have seen several including a psychiatrist and the short term effects they provide never changed the way I saw my self. Surround yourself with positive people as they will lift up your spirits as negative people can be detrimental to your health. If something upsets you, you allow it to control you. REMEMBER you are not depressed, you are distracted.

Well, Ken, I am now at the point in life where I have spent about 40% of it fat and 60% fit. So I got off my ass and decided to get back into shape.

For you, I suggest therapy. Honestly, see if you can find a support group. Secondly, if you can get a personal trainer, even if it's just once a month, but you have to do the work yourself too. That will take self-discipline. Additionally, since you said your family doctor is shit, PICK A NEW ONE!!! You don't have any obligation to them, and if they aren't doing their job, fire their ass. It can be hard to find a good Doc, but when you do, it makes all the difference in the world.

Lastly, no matter what advice anyone anywhere will give you the bottom line is, you have to want to change, and I mean really want it. Watch this too: