Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Top 3 must play RPGs of PS2?

What do you think is the Top 3 must play RPGs of PS2?

for me it is:
    1. Final Fantasy XII
    2. Dragon Quest VIII
    3. Champions of Norrath

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    What do you think is the Top 3 must play RPGs of PS2?

for me it is:
    1. Final Fantasy XII
    2. Dragon Quest VIII
    3. Champions of Norrath
    Similar, id probably say
    1. FFX.
    2. DQ 8
    3. FF12.
    Rogue galaxy gets an honorable mention :

EDIT: damn you, now im going to have to see if rogue galaxy works on pcsx2
    Last edited by hiragana; 2013-01-11 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    Similar, id probably say
    1. FFX.
    2. DQ 8
    3. FF12.
    Rogue galaxy gets an honorable mention :

EDIT: damn you, now im going to have to see if rogue galaxy works on pcsx2
    http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Rogue...97490-U--29891 :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice, not the most imaginative game ever but for some reason i loved it.

I cannot at all recommend FF12, it was definitely a weak Final Fantasy. Also Champions of Norrath was fun especially with a friend but it sucks compared to other dungeon crawlers.

The top 3 RPGs Story/Gameplaywise would definitely be (and I will give the reasons why)

1. Shadow Hearts Covenant: You don't need to play Shadow Hearts 1 to play this and a lot of people don't like the enemy models of certain mobs but this game has extreme charm, level design and a relatively interesting battle system. The characters are absolutely stellar and well developed, the story is fantastic and most of all, the main protagonist is a blast to play. He has the ability to transform into demons of various elements, which you can individually level up and it's really, really fun. It's a bit overwhelming at first because you have no idea what's going on, but the game tells you and the end is extremely satisfying.

2. Suikoden 3: Although it has a very slow start (to the point of being nearly unplayable), the game builds up to incredible levels and gives extremely solid character and world development. This in combination with your own growing "home base" makes you feel invested in the game, the characters and the world. If you can survive the first 3 hours (at least it isn't 20 like FF13), then you will enjoy a really fantastic game.

3. Final Fantasy X: This is going to be my final pick as well as being the first game I bought for my PS2. A lot of people hate on it, but FFX develops the world of Spira (which Tidus is thrown into) with an incredible attention to detail of the people, culture and all the aspects relating to that. By aiding Yuna in her pilgrimage and using a solid cast of characters, a player not only appreciates the world of Spira but also the motivations and obstacles of each character. The mini-game Blitzball is excellent and the Sphere grid is an innovative way to level up for new players only. When you play the game multiple times or long enough however, the sphere grid becomes broken and has the ability to make characters extremely, unreasonably powerful. For example, my Yuna (who is a white mage summoner), had the ability to use everyone's moves and have nearly 100% evasion of even bosses by the end of the game. Again, for first time players who are rocking this game, the sphere grid is fine and the game is very, very good.

These are my recommendations, I'm a huge RPG fan, and I am really critical of them even if I love them. That's why I'm sad to say I really can't recommend FF12 onwards, I believe they were poorly done. Final Fantasy 12 actually lost its main writer (who was excellent), which is why the game's direction dove in the second half. It's unfortunate really...since Final Fantasy has not yet recovered since the days of 10.

final fantasy X
    star ocean till the end of time
    .Hack Gu trilogy
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Shadow Hearts Covenant
    FF X
    Dragon Quest Journey of the cursed king

Deleted
    3 are too few for the incredible collection of PS2 RPGs.

1. Final Fantasy XII.
    2. Final Fantasy X.
    3. Hard to say, I would put Disgaea, but it is of SRPG subgenre.

Wouldn't put Dragon Quest VIII in this list, as in my opinion Dragon Warrior VII >>> Dragon Quest VIII.

A lot of people dislike FF XII because it has classic FF feel (classic, as in Final Fantasy pre-VII) and gambits system. Not sure what they have against gambits, as many RPGs had similar things, just on more primitive level. But it is definitely great game. I am putting it above FF X, because world in FF X is like one big tunnel (the only flaw in that game).

10+ Year Old Account
    Not PS2, but Legend of Dragoon is a must play.

Disgaea: Hour of Drkness
    La Pucelle: Tactics
    Phantom Brave

I loves me some SRPGs, and the NIS ones were fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where's the Persona love at. Persona 3 and Persona 4 for sure.

Good suggestions here but have to add...

Wild Arms 3 <3

1: Final Fantasy X
    2: Final Fantasy XII
    3: Really unsure here. It is either one of the many fantastic JRPGs or one of the Kingdom Heart games.

Final Fantasy X
    Grandia II
    Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. An absolute gem that never gets the rep it truly deserves. Being a prequel to the first (Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth, which was also a brilliant gem for PSX and then later released for PSP)
    Final Fantasy X. Immersive story, every time I play through the end it really tears at the heart strings. Shame it was ruined by X-2
    Shadow Hearts Covenant. A few hilarious moments (Giant Pussy) and solid gameplay.
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Quel%27Thalas&n=Rofflemau

Actually I wanted to make a thread on this subject for a while. But never got round to it.

Anyway I wanted to ask, what rpg for the Ps2 came out, in which you were the captain of a ship(I believe a pirate ship). I really wanted to get it again but cannot remember the name and would really like to play it again.

Suikoden 3/5
    Shadow Hearts 1/2
    .Hack Series/.Hack G.U Series

if we include strategy games

disgaea
    la pucelle tactics
    makai kingdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Okage: Shadow King (the EarthBound of the PS2)

Wild Arms 4 (for some reason my favorite of the PS2 WA games)

Namco X Capcom (cross over RPG that Super Robot Wars: Endless Frontier and Project X Zone are spin-offs/sequels of. you can burn an English translation disc if you don't know Japanese)

Xenosaga: Episode 1
    Xenosaga: Episode 2
    Xenosage: Episode 3

Under played games but highly rated (E. 2 was just.. ok gameplay wise). The whole trilogy is simply amazing to play though.