Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Wild Arms 3 in only a week? I logged over 100 hours because there was so much exploring and collecting to do if you are a completionist :P
    Well I took the week basis on how long the majority of half decent RPGS would last me, Can't believe i never took the time to look into wild arms sequels really. The first one is a game I found most people never even heard of but was one of my all time favorite ps1 releases along with suikoden. Feel in the mood for both now, I think i'll dig up all three wild arms, and a few of the suikodens and run through them for the next few months to pass my spare time. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    Good suggestions here but have to add...

Wild Arms 3 <3
    One of the biggest letdowns I have ever played. The whole story was just bull. They tried to hard to make an: I like to achieve my personal freedom and save the world plot.. but at the end it was an confusing mess that had so many flaws it was just lacking on every end. And than they added time travel. Bullshit overload.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy X
    Persona 4

I want to list Tales of the Abyss as the last title, but I really only suggest it for the GRADE replay value system and gameplay. Some of the characters are interesting and the soundtrack is good, but I strongly disapprove of many of the playable characters. They are pretty annoying and juvenile, and not in the funny or cute kind of way.

I feel like the game really stands on the reputation it's predecessors have built, and it's best feature is how the battle system was expanded and improved upon.

Rogue Galaxy is a game that had potential, but left me wanting. Decent play though, nice change of pace if you are looking for something different.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Champions of Norrath
    2. Champions of Norrath
    3. Champions of Norrath

Best game I ever played on PS2! I remember inviting a few friends around when I was around 11-12 and we would stay up all night playing!
    This was the soul game that sparked my love for RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    It's been so long since I played Wild Arms 3, but I remember my biggest issue with the game being the poor handling of antagonists. The game just kept leading you a long with different antagonists, "Oh you may have beat me...but *insert new bad guy here* was pulling the strings all along!!!" I remember that sequence repeating over and over and over until by the end, the antagonist was so disconnected and unrealistic that I didn't care anymore lol. Otherwise I thought the game wasn't bad. I didn't play WA or WA2 so the setting was pretty unique to me.
    If you would have played WA 1 you would have even more problems with this one.
    They copy pasted the story of Wild Arms and added confusing stuff until nothing made sense anymore. When you played WA you could see the twists coming from a mile ago.(oh really the darkness spear let me guess the demon master is Zeikfried *10 minutes later* I AM ZEIKFRIED!!!) Virginia is a copy of Cecille, Maya Schroedinger is a copy of Calamity Jane, ... but the worst one is Jet. He is not just a copy, he is Rudy with white hair. Both have the pinocchio complex( fixated on their father and want to be a real boy), both are machines, ... The real main plot if you skip the unnecessary stuff they added is identical to WA.

Thats why I liked Alter Code F more. It is a remake of the first one, although they added the framework form WA3. And the combat in this two games is so broken.
    1) its unbalanced, most bosses are such pushovers that you didnt even notice you fight a boss. But than inbetween you have one thats virtually impossible without luck. For example in WA3 the first fight with Janus + Spear. His negative Rainbow can reduce everyone to about 20-30% hp. And if you are unlucky he casts it 2 times in a row.
    2) Somehow the developers found it a good idea to add a mob that gives the amount of damage dealt in 1 round as XP. Abusing him for 1-2 hours and you have lvl 99 on everyone.
    3) Its so obvious how to deal high damage. You buff up your best attacker and let him gatling raid/finest arts. This onehits almost everyone. You shouldnt be able to twohit Ragul o Ragula.

The best game in this series is still the original WA.

FF7 and FF8 I would say, but I played all of them up to FFX and FFX-2. Shadow Hearts deffinately as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    FF7 and FF8 I would say, but I played all of them up to FFX and FFX-2. Shadow Hearts deffinately as well.
    I didn't particularly like FF8 due to its whole Draw Magic deal, so I never really got into it (hence why it missed my list).

Try FFXII if you haven't, it's pretty awesome (albeit shorter than previous titles; the game can be completed at around level 40, whereas taking on Safer Sephiroth before 60 or 70 wasn't the best idea).
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Just outta curiousity, since you seem to enjoy combat systems, have you played Grandia II? It's one of my favorites (I may even like it better than SH:C's )
    Yes I have in fact... If it's an RPG on the PS2... Odds are I've played it.... except the "Tales" Series, not sure why I could never get into those games....

And you're right, I am a total Combat system Junkie.. it's really a bit wierd.. the two things I look for in an RPG are a decent combat system, and decent characters. Since for most of the game you'll be engaged in combat, with those characters... So they seem to me to be the most important aspect. Story is very important... but I've played some great games with bland/bad stories, that's why they let you skip cutscene , as for graphics... myeh bovvered

As for Grandia's combat system, yeah it was very good but the thing that annoyed me was how freakin long some of the later moves went on...

The Thing that was so great about SH:C's system was while it was at it's heart your basic turn based system, there was really ALOT going on behind the scenes. From Judgement Ring customization (Mind's Eye FTW), to the "Strike" zones, the combo system and "Key" Items, it was really a VERY intellegent system, that was turn based enough to seem casual, but had enough "React now noob!" to make sure the fights didn't drag.

Also... this one time... I oneshot the last boss , cleared out the three adds, then Energy Charge + Arc Rage + Dark Seraphim + Eternal Key.... so much pain I wish I'd been clever enough to record it...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    One of the biggest letdowns I have ever played. The whole story was just bull. They tried to hard to make an: I like to achieve my personal freedom and save the world plot.. but at the end it was an confusing mess that had so many flaws it was just lacking on every end. And than they added time travel. Bullshit overload.
    Nah if you want a major letdown play 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yes I have in fact... If it's an RPG on the PS2... Odds are I've played it.... except the "Tales" Series, not sure why I could never get into those games....

And you're right, I am a total Combat system Junkie.. it's really a bit wierd.. the two things I look for in an RPG are a decent combat system, and decent characters. Since for most of the game you'll be engaged in combat, with those characters... So they seem to me to be the most important aspect. Story is very important... but I've played some great games with bland/bad stories, that's why they let you skip cutscene , as for graphics... myeh bovvered

As for Grandia's combat system, yeah it was very good but the thing that annoyed me was how freakin long some of the later moves went on...

The Thing that was so great about SH:C's system was while it was at it's heart your basic turn based system, there was really ALOT going on behind the scenes. From Judgement Ring customization (Mind's Eye FTW), to the "Strike" zones, the combo system and "Key" Items, it was really a VERY intellegent system, that was turn based enough to seem casual, but had enough "React now noob!" to make sure the fights didn't drag.

Also... this one time... I oneshot the last boss , cleared out the three adds, then Energy Charge + Arc Rage + Dark Seraphim + Eternal Key.... so much pain I wish I'd been clever enough to record it...
    Totally agree on all accounts. SH:C is definitely my favorite combat system ever. I liked Grandia's for the "semi-real-time" feel, having to time cancel attacks. A lot of the spells were too long to cast, but I've always favored brute-forcing with basic melee attacks. As soon as I quit geeking out on TSW, I'm going to have to dust off the PS2 and give them both another playthrough.

Wasn't really interested in RPGs when PS2 was the shizzle, but these are the best I have:

- Final Fantasy XII
    - Bards Tale
    - Final Fantasy X-2.
    Final Fantasy X-2 s terrible, but these were the only ones I have.

Now, if Sony only could speed up the process on getting PS2 games on PS Store I would quickly expand my collection.

I only ever played FFX and FFX 2 for RPGs on the PS2, so they're the only ones I can mention.

FFX 2 wasn't even that good of a game compared to FFX imo. FFX however was pretty enjoyable. The story line isn't that bad. I would have to say it's my second favorite of all the games in the FF series I've played. I messed around with FFXII a little bit, but I never played more than an hour so I really didn't feel like mentioning it.
    Last edited by anveena; 2013-01-13 at 02:55 AM. Reason: clarification

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark cloud2
    FFX
    erridk
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

FFX
    Dragon Quest 8
    Wild Arms 3

Would have to be my top 3.

by RPG what do you mean, i see alot of people listing jRPGS and hardly anyone listing wRPGs.

1. god of war, the first one is a perfect greek tragedy.
    2. dark cloud, awesome game.
    3. disgaea: hour of darkness
    Last edited by mordale; 2013-01-13 at 05:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legaia 2 duel saga, Final Fantasy 10 were my favourites, quite liked kingdom hearts too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    Totally agree on all accounts. SH:C is definitely my favorite combat system ever. I liked Grandia's for the "semi-real-time" feel, having to time cancel attacks. A lot of the spells were too long to cast, but I've always favored brute-forcing with basic melee attacks. As soon as I quit geeking out on TSW, I'm going to have to dust off the PS2 and give them both another playthrough.
    I wish I could, but I recently sent my.... latest (I've lost count of how many I've owned) PS2 to the big games trade-in shop in the sky and not had time to pick up a new one... Am I the only one that really hopes the PS4 has full backwards compatability? tbh I'd buy one just to play PS2 games....

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

I wish I could, but I recently sent my.... latest (I've lost count of how many I've owned) PS2 to the big games trade-in shop in the sky and not had time to pick up a new one... Am I the only one that really hopes the PS4 has full backwards compatability? tbh I'd buy one just to play PS2 games....
    That sucks I'm really worried about the day mine quits and I'm not able to find a replacement :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it ssuucckkss. I heard they've finally stopped making them in Japan, which I think we can all admit is a sad turn of events for gamers as a whole, but mostly for RPG players. the PS2 Era of gaming was IMO the highpoint, the more games that come out, even ones from series I used to love *cough* Final Fantasy *cough* the more I realise I'm getting to old for gaming...

I guess I could try a.... Less than savoury way to play through again.. But I've never liked taking that route.

I think I'd rather just sit in a small hole, thinking about how much I want to be Yuri and trying rreeaallllyy hard to turn into Dark Seraphim

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it ssuucckkss. I heard they've finally stopped making them in Japan, which I think we can all admit is a sad turn of events for gamers as a whole, but mostly for RPG players. the PS2 Era of gaming was IMO the highpoint, the more games that come out, even ones from series I used to love *cough* Final Fantasy *cough* the more I realise I'm getting to old for gaming...

I guess I could try a.... Less than savoury way to play through again.. But I've never liked taking that route.

I think I'd rather just sit in a small hole, thinking about how much I want to be Yuri and trying rreeaallllyy hard to turn into Dark Seraphim
    Ever since I lost my PS2 in a move, I've been running a PS2X emulator. I only run games I've already bought (with the exception of KH2FM+ which wasnt released outside JP :V), and even bought a little connector thing that lets me use an actual PS2 controller with my computer.

My list (very similar to others)
    1. FFX.
    2. KH2 FM+.
    3. KH1. (Never played final mix + of KH1.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin