Gaming on Trinity

Hi All,

I am currently in the market for a new Laptop after a job promotion means i will be travelling a lot more.

Having seen a lot of chat bouncing around with regards to AMD's "Trinity" platform i was wondering if anyone on here has had a real chance to game on one? A6/A8/A10? and mainly how does WOW run (as it is my main time sink when i'm holed up in a hotel for a few nights)?
    Any pointers on a good model would be well taken. Of course i am not expecting the world, but would solid medium settings on a 1024x768 (15") res be reasonable?

Cheers

Here's a Preview article on Tom's Hardware that benchmarks several games, including WoW, under the A10-5800k
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...400k,3224.html

By the looks of it, you'll have good results at 1024x768. The author got decent results in WoW at 1280x720.

Edit: Here's another article, this time running wow at 1920x1080. Results are still pretty decent for an APU, I guess:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...e,3304-10.html
    Last edited by Traumatic; 2013-01-11 at 03:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    They were also running DDR3-1600. On a friends recent A10 build that was done a couple of weeks ago the difference between 1600 and 2133 on an APU was about 10-12 fps in most games.

Laptops with Trinity APU is pretty much the best value for gaming laptops. Your only other good choice for gaming laptops are the ones with an intel cpu + a decent nvidia card but those are slightly faster in games but the price is much higher.

One thing is sure tho, Trinity is impressive for the price.
    Last edited by Warrax; 2013-01-11 at 03:49 PM.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Warrax View Post
    Laptops with Trinity APU is pretty much the best value for gaming laptops. Your only other good choice for gaming laptops are the ones with an intel cpu + a decent nvidia card but those are slightly faster in games but the price is much higher.

One thing is sure tho, Trinity is impressive for the price.

Thanks for the info - do you know if your friend was running an A10 with dual graphics or just the stand alone APU?
    As long as an A10-4500m is going to give me more punch than my current HD3450 I'll be happy!

Edit - meant to quote saithes

Keep in mind the benchmark linked earlier was for desktop APUs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesdaywastaken View Post
    Thanks for the info - do you know if your friend was running an A10 with dual graphics or just the stand alone APU?
    As long as an A10-4500m is going to give me more punch than my current HD3450 I'll be happy!

Edit - meant to quote saithes
    He was running the single 7660D