Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Blizzard will never create Warcraft 4 for the following reasons:
    A) It conflicts with the potential story for WoW which is arguably Blizzard's biggest success ever. Why deter the people that are already playing your MMO with a 15$ subscription fee? How would you handle releasing Warcraft 4 among WoW's storyline? How would you release expansions for Warcraft 4? WoW will -NEVER- die to the point where Blizzard would want to stop releasing content for it in order to create Warcraft 4. Ultima Online still has a monthly fee despite it being ancient as far as MMO games go and they still release content for it. Knowing that imagine if WoW went free to play, it will -NEVER- die at that point.
    B) It conflicts with Star Craft 2, another RTS that they are already producing expansions for. Why create 2 RTS games when Blizzard wants people to get into the SC2 competitive scene?
    C) Also Blizzard said in the past that they have absolutely no plans on creating Warcraft 4.

We can only dream though.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    With how shitty the writing was for Diablo III and WoW so far I don't know if I want to see Warcraft RTS go down the same road.
    Also this ^. Maybe you enjoy reading the books but the story delivered via the game is shit. (Blood elves and Draeni come from outer space!)
    Last edited by MOGATRON; 2013-01-11 at 05:42 PM.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Old news, not WC4. It's a new merchandise line, some figures or cards or something.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    How would it even make the plotline like it would have to be in the future as WoW has been doing the continuing story line so far, for an example

- 800 years into the future of warcraft X plot happens.
    Alternate plotline, I suppose. I can imagine one or two ideas.

I forget the Netharia quote... but she hinted that there might be Warcraft spin-off games in the future.

With a name like "Heroes of Warcraft"... that sounds like a spinoff title.

...great, now I'm picturing either a DotA style all-faction-leader character game... or a side-scrolling action game where you control Thrall stomping on turtles. :P

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 07:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Old news, not WC4. It's a new merchandise line, some figures or cards or something.
    Or that too... :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    Probably close to 99% of the people who played Warcraft 3 played custom maps. 90% of those played Dota.

Valve has Dota 2
    Starcraft has map editor.

I don't see Warcraft 4 being a success.
    You clearly know nothing about Warcraft 3 then if you think 90% played it only for Dota.
    And even if 90% people played Dota(something I doubt), I am 100% not all played it only for Dota.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 09:33 PM ----------

You know, I remembered something, Spellforce franchise. You had a hero, which you could control RPG style, you had lots of different armor and whatnot, but some maps (about 1 in 2) had also RTS, you had base-building and such. Would be something if they made something similar with Warcraft 4, put more importance on the heroes then before even.

Overall, I played Warcraft 3 for the story and hope Warcraft 4 will have a story at least as good.

Probably Warcraft Dota, I mean they can only make so much heroes out of starcraft and diablo, but with warcraft they have so much options. They can easily take iconic 5 man bosses, raid bosses and lore characters to be little the selection of heroes from League of Legends. Just for example I can list Arugal, Kalecos, Theradas, Therazane, Kel'thuzad, Saurfang, Bolvar, Onyxia, Turaylon, Vol'jin, Jindo the hexxer, darkmaster gandling, lord zeliek, milhouse manastorm, Naralex, High overlord Krom'gar, and many more while if you get heroes from diablo you just get a pantheon of overpowered demoms.

And the themes are too easy to figure out. It could be two dark portals one owned by mortals one owned by demons, or titan vs old gods or sane people vs twillights hammer or simply alliance vs horde.
    Last edited by Philosopino; 2013-01-11 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMog64 View Post
    Blizzard will never create Warcraft 4 for the following reasons:
    A) It conflicts with the potential story for WoW which is arguably Blizzard's biggest success ever. Why deter the people that are already playing your MMO with a 15$ subscription fee? How would you handle releasing Warcraft 4 among WoW's storyline? How would you release expansions for Warcraft 4? WoW will -NEVER- die to the point where Blizzard would want to stop releasing content for it in order to create Warcraft 4. Ultima Online still has a monthly fee despite it being ancient as far as MMO games go and they still release content for it. Knowing that imagine if WoW went free to play, it will -NEVER- die at that point.
    B) It conflicts with Star Craft 2, another RTS that they are already producing expansions for. Why create 2 RTS games when Blizzard wants people to get into the SC2 competitive scene?
    C) Also Blizzard said in the past that they have absolutely no plans on creating Warcraft 4.

We can only dream though.

Also this ^. Maybe you enjoy reading the books but the story delivered via the game is shit. (Blood elves and Draeni come from outer space!)
    You must know a lot about the WoW storyline
    Really
    You're the smartest person on this forum
    Indeed blood elves do come from space OF COURSE THEY DO
    And it's not like WoW is entirely based on the lore created by the warcraft series
    It's not like they'd create new lore in warcraft 4 and then implement it into WoW like they have been doing for the last 8 years
    Nop not at all

EDIT: It's not like orcs come from outer space right?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMog64 View Post
    WoW will -NEVER- die

World of Warcraft can be killed in a way of going too much. 2 or 3 expansions are not so bad. But going even more is just too much. Beside, once Titan gets released, i dont think WoW will be on the spotlight as it have Today. Slowly they have to stop some where and get main focus on Titan from launch.

Titan will take over and WoW will still be online up and running, but dont w8 for expansions once Titan have passed its first year. Thats my theory.
    | Lenovo Legion5 17ACH6H | i7 8700K @ 4.7 GhZ| ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F GAMING | 32 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600MHz | 2 x Acer 27" Predator XB271HU | Fractal Design Meshify C | Master MasterLiquid ML360R WaterCooling | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | Samsung 980 PRO M.2 1Tb | Asus RTX 2070 | EVGA 650W GQ | Steelseries Rival | Logitech G815 | Playstation 5 | Xbox Series X | Nintendo Switch

Quote Originally Posted by Sony View Post
    World of Warcraft can be killed in a way of going too much. 2 or 3 expansions are not so bad. But going even more is just too much. Beside, once Titan gets released, i dont think WoW will be on the spotlight as it have Today. Slowly they have to stop some where and get main focus on Titan from launch.

Titan will take over and WoW will still be online up and running, but dont w8 for expansions once Titan have passed its first year. Thats my theory.
    Someone doesn't know much about the history of MMOs. Go look into Ultima Online or Everquest for example. Do you really think a business is going to decide to make less money?

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Someone doesn't know much about the history of MMOs. Go look into Ultima Online or Everquest for example. Do you really think a business is going to decide to make less money?

Ok sure, i dont know much about it ( i really mean it, BUT i would like to know what companies have 2 MMO´s up and running.
    | Lenovo Legion5 17ACH6H | i7 8700K @ 4.7 GhZ| ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F GAMING | 32 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600MHz | 2 x Acer 27" Predator XB271HU | Fractal Design Meshify C | Master MasterLiquid ML360R WaterCooling | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | Samsung 980 PRO M.2 1Tb | Asus RTX 2070 | EVGA 650W GQ | Steelseries Rival | Logitech G815 | Playstation 5 | Xbox Series X | Nintendo Switch

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    Ummmmm... his theory basically totally supports what happened to UO and EQ. Did you even read what he said?

He's not saying they'll completely die... he's saying they'll simply keep it running, but slow down on content development if/when Titan picks up and gets popular...

Sure, UO and EQ1 are still running... but how much new content/expansions are they still getting these days? :P

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 09:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sony View Post
    Ok sure, i dont know much about it ( i really mean it, BUT i would like to know what companies have 2 MMO´s up and running.
    Technically Everquest and Everquest 2 were both simultaneous and still are - but that does support your theory. EQ1 took a back seat to EQ2 after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Ummmmm... his theory basically totally supports what happened to UO and EQ. Did you even read what he said?

He's not saying they'll completely die... he's saying they'll simply keep it running, but slow down on content development if/when Titan picks up and gets popular...

Sure, UO and ES are still running... but how much new content/expansions are they still getting these days? :P

Technically Everquest and Everquest 2 were both simultaneous and still are - but that does support your theory. EQ1 took a back seat to EQ2 after a while.
    Thank you very much Sir!

Sure, UO and EQ1 are still running... but how much new content/expansions are they still getting these days? :P

It only support the theory IF Titan is WoW2, which we do not know.

UO came out with a 3d version of UO that ultimately failed. Not exactly the same thing but it was a game made afterwards.

Also, speaking about reading, he said there would be no more expansions, which is not the same as "slow down content." Maybe you should read it yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    How would it even make the plotline like it would have to be in the future as WoW has been doing the continuing story line so far, for an example

- 800 years into the future of warcraft X plot happens.
    Yes, I hope that the next Warcraft RTS takes a big time-leap along these lines.

Eq1 gets expansions more often then wow, eq2 does too. EQ2 took over by player choice not SOEs.

Edit: The reason I think EQ1 + 2 have been and will go on for so long is the lore. They are probably the best independant lore MMOs at the moment in my eyes. (This is only my opinion). Warcraft lore is like a sniper rifle, the majority of what you get is directly related to whatever is going on right now (Sure there is the wrathion thing but that is an exception). EQs are more like a shotgun, you get a fair amount aimed at whatever the current subject is plus a load of seeminly random pieces of lore that all make up their own stories which a) Add to the feeling that the universe isnt limited to what the players cares about the most at any given time and b) allows SoE a lot more to build on in patches and it's not unusual for them to build on that (Such as one of the coolest raids recently, Kraytoc's Fortress of Rime which finally ended a side story thats spanned like 4 expansions).

Their current expansion is about a plague that is randomly killing people, commoners and avatars alike and you have to go into the underworld to find out why..

Compared to pandas...

I still play WoW though, SoE have become too greedy and their content is suffering But. I do think thats largely why the 2 games are still popular.
    Last edited by Mondroc; 2013-01-11 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post
    Indeed blood elves do come from space OF COURSE THEY DO
    The reason why this is shitty is because Metzen forgot that Draenei were in the game to begin with and just retconed the idea that there are many 'worlds of warcraft' or 'planets' or something out there with many versions or alterations of the races of WoW somewhere in outer space. This is exceptionally bad story writing.

Edit: I was slightly off from what I remembered but the bad story telling element still stands: http://www.wowwiki.com/Draenei_controversy

Quote Originally Posted by CenariusTheForestLord View Post
    And it's not like WoW is entirely based on the lore created by the warcraft series
    WoW isnt based on the warcraft series lore? Is someone sniffing sharpies?

Also as far as WoW/Titan goes there hasn't been a whole lot of information out there as to what exactly Titan is. From memory Blizzard said it is going to be a casual MMO. This makes me think that it will be Free 2 Play with micro transactions or something that way it doesn't get in the way of WoW's subscription model. Other than that its been 3? 4? 5? years since they announced that they were working on the project and haven't said a word yet... I doubt they will create "WoW2". They will just upgrade graphics in WoW like they are currently doing and constantly expand upon WoW. The reason World of Warcraft 2 won't come is because the people who want to play it are the same people already stabley paying 15$ per month playing a game they already own and are invested into. This is why Ultima Online 2 never came out and was canceled, because they were making a game for the exact same audience they already have.
    Last edited by MOGATRON; 2013-01-12 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    Probably close to 99% of the people who played Warcraft 3 played custom maps. 90% of those played Dota.

Valve has Dota 2
    Starcraft has map editor.

I don't see Warcraft 4 being a success.
    That's a bunch of bullshit. 90% is highly overexaggerating, Dota 2 doesn't matter because LoL took over the MOBA market, Starcraft's map editor is rubbish compared to the World Editor, and pretty much all the people I know who play/played Warcraft 3 played it for the story, aka they only played campaign. Warcraft 4 is destined to be a success if it ever gets released, because it has the name Warcraft on it, the exact same reason that WoW's launch was successful. The "Warcraft" name is very powerful, it is like a money magnet.

Anyways, for the on-topic discussion: I'd personally prefer that a Warcraft 4 would be released AFTER WoW has taken its toll, to not cause any conflict in lore. Plus, Blizzard would probably like to milk SC2 completely before releasing another RTS. A Warcraft 4 with an enhanced version of the old World Editor would be a dream come true for me.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2013-01-12 at 12:38 PM.

Pearce: Warcraft IV is “definitely something we would consider”
    http://bit.ly/RLV6Vl
    They're considering it after SC II third expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Pearce: Warcraft IV is “definitely something we would consider”
    http://bit.ly/RLV6Vl
    They're considering it after SC II third expansion.
    This is also a news article that is over 4 years ago. I could see them making a MOBA with Heroes from the Warcraft universe in it.

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    That's a bunch of bullshit. 90% is highly overexaggerating, Dota 2 doesn't matter because LoL took over the MOBA market, Starcraft's map editor is rubbish compared to the World Editor, and pretty much all the people I know who play/played Warcraft 3 played it for the story, aka they only played campaign. Warcraft 4 is destined to be a success if it ever gets released, because it has the name Warcraft on it, the exact same reason that WoW's launch was successful. The "Warcraft" name is very powerful, it is like a money magnet.

Anyways, for the on-topic discussion: I'd personally prefer that a Warcraft 4 would be released AFTER WoW has taken its toll, to not cause any conflict in lore. Plus, Blizzard would probably like to milk SC2 completely before releasing another RTS. A Warcraft 4 with an enhanced version of the old World Editor would be a dream come true for me.
    SC2's editor is actually very powerful much more so than WC3's but it's very hard to use. That's what I heard from almost all mapmakers out there.