Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was initially cynnical about how well starcraft 2 would turn out, but they demonstrated they were able to churn out a good rts still.. as far as WC4 goes, I'd absolutely love to see that happen to add some continuation, and possibly some "closure" to the story side of it (setting aside the brilliant multiplayer) as alots happenned in the years since the events of wc3

Traditional competition in the rts genre (ea/cnc) has gone down the toilet, and despite sc2's success I definatly believe there is room out there for a new wc rts.. after all, RTS is not a "1 size fits all", people have different preferences in the style/environment of it.. which is a big part why blizz enjoyed a double success with starcraft alongside the original wc games.

Maintain the quality, theres a couple things which could be slightly "modernized"
    Stick to what works, if its not broke don't fix it, and you are good to go!

Hope it happens
    Last edited by Pete; 2013-01-12 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Apathy- View Post
    How would it even make the plotline like it would have to be in the future as WoW has been doing the continuing story line so far, for an example

- 800 years into the future of warcraft X plot happens.
    There's a shitton of lore that Blizzard has mentioned, but never went into full detail about, such as the war of three hammers, the founding of quel'thalas, and the like. I'd say it's a possibility that it could be a prequel (though that'd also mean no orcs). Having one late into the future just closes off so much in terms of the possibility in WoW.

Deleted
    One can only hope it'll see the light, I've always been a Warcraft fan. I say they'll focus on it after SC2 is done with it's expansions, I just don't know how they'll make the lore work with WoW still on the market.

Deleted
    They could actually treat the novels in the game. Since, think about it, they can't make Tyrande and the night elf army fighting the Horde army in Ashenvale in WoW, or can't make the Grimtotem taking Thunder Bluff or Garrosh attacking Theramore before the bomb or stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    SC2's editor is actually very powerful much more so than WC3's but it's very hard to use. That's what I heard from almost all mapmakers out there.
    Yes, this is true. I saw some people managing to make even a sort of Alextrazsa adventure RPG map in there, but it's hard to make even regular stuff, so they probably worked their asses.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess, if Warcraft IV happened it would either be concurrent with the current timeline of its release and used to set up plot hooks for the MMO (with matching storylines in the MMORPG), or set in the future far enough to give a general reset to things and being intentionally mum on history after whatever the current MMO storyline is to avoid spoilers.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    There's a shitton of lore that Blizzard has mentioned, but never went into full detail about, such as the war of three hammers, the founding of quel'thalas, and the like. I'd say it's a possibility that it could be a prequel (though that'd also mean no orcs). Having one late into the future just closes off so much in terms of the possibility in WoW.
    That's why you explore such things in WoW itself, but you don't need to hamstring the RTS by trying to make it join up with WoW lore. Setting it in the future frees you from such constraints, and WoW can have a lot of fun 'filling in the gaps' as it were.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    THIS. gave me hope
    http://bit.ly/109p5LQ

Damn it, he basically said that there might or might not be one He didn't say so (not news) but he didn't say no neither, he just pulled it out there in the air...

right after pokemon black and white nintendo took out trademarks for pokemon purple, brown, grey/gray, magenta, and a couple other colors. what was the next game after? black and white 2. and the game after that? x and y.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 08:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    My guess, if Warcraft IV happened it would either be concurrent with the current timeline of its release and used to set up plot hooks for the MMO (with matching storylines in the MMORPG), or set in the future far enough to give a general reset to things and being intentionally mum on history after whatever the current MMO storyline is to avoid spoilers.
    future is unlikely. it would either be a tie in like the novels or it would be set in the past.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Arkkitehti View Post
    Nice numbers you got there.

I guess I'm part of the 1% who played it mostly for the story. Still, a lot of the characters from Warcraft 3 are oddly popular, if such a small percentage cared for them back then.
    I'd say you're part of the .1% who played it for the story line. The rest of the 1% probably played skirmishes vs bots, or played the campaign for fun.
    What I'm saying is that Warcraft was so majorly popular because of costum maps, and that throne has been taken by another title.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    You clearly know nothing about Warcraft 3 then if you think 90% played it only for Dota.
    And even if 90% people played Dota(something I doubt), I am 100% not all played it only for Dota.

---------- Post added 2013-01-11 at 09:33 PM ----------

You know, I remembered something, Spellforce franchise. You had a hero, which you could control RPG style, you had lots of different armor and whatnot, but some maps (about 1 in 2) had also RTS, you had base-building and such. Would be something if they made something similar with Warcraft 4, put more importance on the heroes then before even.

Overall, I played Warcraft 3 for the story and hope Warcraft 4 will have a story at least as good.
    Yeah the guys who played dota probably played vampire hunters aswell... and Utherparty. The point is, as I said before, the game thrived on the costum maps.
    Last edited by pucGG; 2013-01-13 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    I'd say you're part of the .1% who played it for the story line. The rest of the 1% probably played skirmishes vs bots, or played the campaign for fun.
    What I'm saying is that Warcraft was so majorly popular because of costum maps, and that throne has been taken by another title.

Yeah the guys who played dota probably played vampire hunters aswell... and Utherparty. The point is, as I said before, the game thrived on the costum maps.
    your wrong about that. sure the first two warcraft games youd be right about but warcraft 3 had a huge following of people who loved the lore. why do you think pandaren were the most asked for race?
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    your wrong about that. sure the first two warcraft games youd be right about but warcraft 3 had a huge following of people who loved the lore. why do you think pandaren were the most asked for race?
    I believe the number of people who played Warcraft 1 and 2 is negligible to the amount of people who played Warcraft 3.
    I'm pretty sure most people knew (I'm actually 100% sure) the Pandaren because of Dota's brewmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMog64 View Post
    This is also a news article that is over 4 years ago. I could see them making a MOBA with Heroes from the Warcraft universe in it.
    You mean like Blizzard DOTA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    That's why you explore such things in WoW itself, but you don't need to hamstring the RTS by trying to make it join up with WoW lore. Setting it in the future frees you from such constraints, and WoW can have a lot of fun 'filling in the gaps' as it were.
    Setting it in the future puts constraints on WoW, on the other hand. Having it concurrent might be the least restrictive option. Maybe a two-front war, with one front in WoW and the other in WC4.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've always thought that a possible War IV could be set during the WoW timeline (any part would do) but about a story that wasn't shown in WoW. It is at the end of the RTS when the story becomes relevant (or even is the setting itself) of the following WoW expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they make that "Blizzard DOTA" mod a full fledged game. It's possible that they took the domain just in case.
    Quite possible,
    Could possible see campaigns or the like named "Heroes of Warcraft", "Heroes of Starcraft", and "Heroes of Diablo" or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by pucGG View Post
    I believe the number of people who played Warcraft 1 and 2 is negligible to the amount of people who played Warcraft 3.
    I'm pretty sure most people knew (I'm actually 100% sure) the Pandaren because of Dota's brewmaster.
    I think the brewmaster was introduced in in WCIII before he was added into one of the custom games.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they make that "Blizzard DOTA" mod a full fledged game. It's possible that they took the domain just in case.
    This is kinda what I'm leaning towards. They wanted to make sure they owned the domain related to their game and with a name like Heroes of Warcraft, it could likely be the name used for their DOTA variant they had been working on. It would definitely need its own website for people to get info from...

Warcraft IV can happen about events which is going now with WoW. From WOTLK to MoP. and expansions will cover future ^_^

i could potentially see wow ending soon maybe 2-3 expansions ending with the defeat of the legion. Warcraft 4 could take on the story of finding the fallen titan Sargaras and the return of the titans. the game could deal with several issues still lingering with the horde and Alliance but also the remnants of the legion. Theres alot of worlds out there to build a story around, such as bringing planets taken by the legion, gaining control and returning the planet to a better state. It could also have historical campains which take you into wows events, possible even warcraft-warcraft 3 era again.

Factions: Horde-Alliance-Scourge-Legion-Naga-Zandalari-Old god
    Historical maps include-Battle for mount Hyjal( play as 1 of 2 factions-Defenders of hyjal Vs Legion)-War of the Ancients(Kalandori resistance Vs the legion)-Fall of the lich king( Argent Dawn Vs The Scourge) and so on.
    The campaign takes on the view points of the Horde or Alliance and deals with the other factions along with the titans and whatever else is out in space.

This could then lead into a wow 2, where we finally deal with Sargaras. This would give blizz time to develop new villans and heroes through the RTS to then bring into the newer version of wow.

Deleted
    Name of the Warcraft movie?

---------- Post added 2013-01-13 at 10:12 AM ----------

Addendum: one of the Blizzard titles from 2013 will run on Linux. This was confirmed a few days ago on various news sites.

There's 3 possibilities:

1) Heart of the Swarm
    2) World of Warcraft
    3) New game

I put my money on #1 for the simple reason it makes sense to port this over since the third SC2 will come out when Linux gaming is more popular. So it makes sense to invest here (although I question the market for RTS games like SC2 on ARM tablets). #2 makes sense because Blizzard has had a native port internally. #3 could make sense in the context of this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotaro View Post
    i could potentially see wow ending soon maybe 2-3 expansions
    hahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAA ooooh that was a good one lemme go up to blizz and tell them this joke while they fan themselves with that sweet sweet mmo moolah O-O