Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Champions that excel at escaping elo hell

After almost 40 ranked games I have exactly 1004 rating with a score of 19-21. I've tried carrying the team with Ezreal. With a decent support I can win the game. (23/7, 10/1, 18/1, 7/1 just a few of the good scores I had lately) The problem is the team. Most of the time they have no clue what they're doing. The classic elo hell story. I'm fairly new to the game, around 370 won games, (and I know this will sound cocky, but modesty is for losers) I am better than most of the players I get grouped with/against. It feels so bad, it's like being convicted for something I didn't do.

It seems to me that solo queue is all about abusing OP champions. I want to hear your stories of how you managed to leave the scrub bracket. What is your favorite champion for solo queue? What is the champion that you can carry a team with, whatever the others are doing? Personally, I just played with Mordekaiser one ranked game, I raped the lane and ultimately won the game. I will try to carry with him a few games, but I want your opinions as a source of inspiration for future matches.

EDIT: and yes, I know that the player matters the most and all the skill theory. This is purely about champions and their OP mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's champions you're looking for, you can expect to stay in 'Elo hell' a while more.

That said, assassins/snowballers work best if you're truly so much better than your opponents.

If you believe you do not deserve to be in 'Elo hell' you want to start playing a jungler. The more map presence you have, the more you influence the game, and the more you can truly carry the team. Shaco has been said to be excellent in such regard.
    RETH

10+ Year Old Account
    I carry with Ezreal all the time. He has ways to make up for bad supports. The only time I ever really lose with Ez is if it's my fault or it's one of the rare, "unwinnable" games.

Carry champions carry games. Don't go something like Maokai and expect to win on your own. Anyone with high damage and can snowball like crazy.

Deleted
    Make use of Evelynn before she gets nerfed. So much roaming and ganking power, and at 1000 ELO you can expect to never see pink wards.

Solo queue about abusing OP champions ? Not really, most ppl play what they want and raise ELO without problem. I am not sure how you can even get so low ... losing streak in qualifying matches or something. Regardless OP champs ... Eve is strong if you know how to play her (most ppl at low elo don't), Lee Sin, Jarvan, Khazix is OP but again not a strong showing at low elo, Amumu, Katarina ... as it is you can carry with anything really as long as you have enough practice with the champ.

I have around 40 matches with jungle/top Cho ... still not sure if he can lose top lane ever.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2013-01-11 at 06:43 PM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

You should try AP Yi.

Dude is insane.

Deleted
    Just play whatever champion you enjoy, you are exactly where you belong, you are not in traffic; you are traffic.

Maybe champions like release Diana could cheese you a couple of hundred ELO, but currently no champion is that broken and you wouldnt learn anything and fall back down to where you belong eventually.

10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke
    You sound too cocky. Try playing Evelyn, or if your willing to put the time and effort go for Jungle Shaco. Another great mid lane picks would be Mordekaiser ( situational ), Rumble, Ahri, Zed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I am not sure how you can even get so low ... losing streak in qualifying matches or something.
    Mate, "not sure how can you get so low"? There are people here who hang around 800 for months and are convinced it is not their fault. :)

Was sub 800 elo earlier this season and playing kat got me to 1k+, but mid is a hard position to get in soloq so it's meh. Overall, go with some assassin/snowballer like what Duilliath suggested.

Just pick one champion you are good at and try to get him as often as possible. If necessary show others your lolking history so they let you play that champ (has a chance to work and trying is still better than doing nothing).

This season I've played for a good friend during a 3day lan and played vlad only to get him up from 1k to his glorious 1.5k(people don't trade -> lose lane early -> cry he's op when the super farmed vlad 2shots the squishies. Was easier in s2 with everyone starting with 3 healthpots only but somehow boots 3 pots is still quite popular). His elo will drop again but I guess it will get him back down to his 1350-1450 where he was the last 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylol View Post
    Was sub 800 elo earlier this season and playing kat got me to 1k+, but mid is a hard position to get in soloq so it's meh. Overall, go with some assassin/snowballer like what Duilliath suggested.
    You can play her top as well ... just a bit more tanky.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Get good with Blitz and you'll change the game, don't expect too much though, but perfect grabs will get your team very far. (If he's not banned of course)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StNimrod View Post
    Get good with Blitz and you'll change the game, don't expect too much though, but perfect grabs will get your team very far. (If he's not banned of course)
    This, and Leona. A good Leona player can make a huge impact in a game.

ap yi, eve, kat, darius, ez

Will be missed ~

Riven and Kha. Most mids don't run armor. Cho also works imo.

Ap yi is a meh... Not really strong imo, it's more about being lucky with resets.

I'm 35-37 now. It's better to lead your team and keep positive. This usually helps a lot more

Wards win lane!
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

Deleted
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give Eve and Shaco a chance. And sorry again for being so cocky, but LoL can be so damn frustrating sometimes.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    High mobility mid chars; Evelynn, Kassadin, Nidalee, Akali, Katarina ect so you can just push your lane to the tower and help other lanes. Eve is great with that since shes stealth and you're almost always guaranteed a kill on a gank. AP Mids are the best to snowball and carry games just because of the way they work imo. You're also an even distance away from both lanes to help out. Champions with global ultimates are also quite good for doing well. Panth mid is pretty stupid right now as you dominate almost everyone in lane + have the ultimate to clean up or turn around a gank in other lanes. He also doesn't fall off as hard as before late game with some of the new items. Playing most bruisers mid will help you at least dominate your lane too. All in all, there's many ways and different champions you can play to gain elo but the bottom line is you have to actually be that good.

I hate jungling in low elo ranked because most of the blame is directed towards you. However, playing a really high damage jungler like Jax, Khaz'ix, Xin Zhao, Lee Sin can help you gain rating. Gank whichever lane is going to have the toughest time first to at least help them get an advantage of some sort. Buy wards to help reckless people who refuse to do so themselves. Always make sure to track where their jungler is at all times and counter gank as much as possible. If you're better than everyone in the game then you'll already know this. Once you gain an advantage on any of those characters you can just start taking over a game after an item or 2.

There is also no such thing as elo hell. The difference between rating is quite simply the quality of player gets a little bit better the higher you go. You may have awful team mates but the other team is bound to have just as bad if not worse. There are always going to be those trolls in games unless you suddenly gain 900 elo and even then I'm not so sure. I've seen some pretty terrible 1800 players (relatively that is). It's all about playing often and playing a lot. Avoid frustration by taking a break after 2 losses in a row if you have to but make sure to play a boatload of games. People go on huge winning streaks and big losing streaks too. It's all about riding momentum and not just rage queueing. If you're as good as you think you are, eventually you'll get to your intended rating. If you're sugarcoating yourself then I'm afraid you may have already reached your intended elo. Even if you're frustrated it's important to keep a level head and have a short memory. Don't be a dick and fuel trolls because they're usually on a thin line.

I would stay away from AP Yi, he's FotM because he was played a few times ni pro games, but he is so easy to counter. Any character with a stun or knockup will hard counter him if you build them MR or HP, and bully a lot. I've beaten him with Kenne, Diana and Darius recently. AP Yi's also tends to be quite cocky, which also works to your advantage.
    RETH