Thread: Glyph of UA

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glyph of UA

The new Glyph of Unstable Affliction reduces the cast time, but does not affect the GCD. Thus, it is not a DPS gain in a purely Patchwerk situation, but makes it harder to be interrupted, and allows you to start moving again slightly faster.

Isn't KJC baseline for everyone in 5.2?

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont recall hearing or reading that in any way.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Isn't KJC baseline for everyone in 5.2?
    Nope, it is not.
    Warlocks get buffed ONE TIME and suddenly developers are getting fired over it...

Quote Originally Posted by Marximos View Post
    Nope, it is not.
    Kil'jaeden's Cunning is now a passive talent, and its activated ability has been removed.

What does this mean then?

Deleted
    Kil'jaeden's Cunning is now a passive talent, and its activated ability has been removed.
    talent is the word you seek

They just removed the activated ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    talent is the word you seek

They just removed the activated ability.
    So what do they mean by passive.
    Other passive abilities are all baseline.

Edit: so it is still a talent but once selected that's it? You just have it no toggle on off I guess?
    I liked my idea better....
    Last edited by lockedout; 2013-01-12 at 02:39 AM.

Other passive abilities are all baseline.
    no, they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dartungar View Post
    no, they're not.
    Abilities not talents, Zum cleared that up.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    The new Glyph of Unstable Affliction reduces the cast time, but does not affect the GCD. Thus, it is not a DPS gain in a purely Patchwerk situation, but makes it harder to be interrupted, and allows you to start moving again slightly faster.
    This does not make sense to me. How is it possible for a 25% casting speed increase to not result in a DPS gain? Across an entire fight this will amount of several additional seconds to have MG running.

Deleted
    It will be a dps to multitargeting fight where u want to set UA up and not just spam Seeds all over the place, aka Wind lord Norm / HC when u want them UAs casted fast
    less then 4targets it wouldnt be something that u would see ... but around 6-9 targets your would see this come handy.
    As for pvp it would be nice to save you from getting interrupted to cast a UA before fear , specially when u want to land a Howl of Terror.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Iry View Post
    This does not make sense to me. How is it possible for a 25% casting speed increase to not result in a DPS gain? Across an entire fight this will amount of several additional seconds to have MG running.
    Because of the GCD cap (1 second).

Deleted
    Because of the GCD cap (1.5 second).

You will finish the UA cast faster but you won't be able to cast something else before the GCD is over.

Better pvp glyph because it will be harder to interrupt UA now.

However I kind of doubt that anybody will use the glyph anyway
    Last edited by ati87; 2013-01-13 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielBrems View Post
    Because of the GCD cap (1 second).
    Right, but Unstable Affliction has a base cast time of 1.5 seconds which is longer than the GCD. A reduction of 25% brings that down to 1.125 which is still greater than the GCD, which makes it very likely you will hit the GCD cap with haste. But without the Glyph you would have to be heavily focused in haste to hit the cap outside of Dark Soul.

So shouldn't most people be seeing a DPS increase from this?

Deleted
    Right, but Unstable Affliction has a base cast time of 1.5 seconds which is longer than the GCD. A reduction of 25% brings that down to 1.125 which is still greater than the GCD, which makes it very likely you will hit the GCD cap with haste. But without the Glyph you would have to be heavily focused in haste to hit the cap outside of Dark Soul.

Without Glyph:

1.5s Unstable Affliction
    NEXT SPELL

With Glyph:

1.125s Unstable Affliction
    0.375s Global Cooldown (not affected by Glyph)
    NEXT SPELL

So it will be on the target earlier, but is not really a DPS increase...
    Last edited by mmoc39878be25e; 2013-01-12 at 12:57 PM.

Deleted

As stated before, GCD is 1.5 seconds too.

GCD cap must refer to the minimum a GCD can be reduced to which is 1 second. This is because of how the game is programmed or something they limited it to 1 second to ensure it would work fine.

Now a "regular" GCD would be 1.5 which can be reduced by haste. So if your spell finishes faster than 1.5 seconds you would gain a faster next GCD because of haste, lets say 1.4 seconds.

What I see from this is the following: as haste also reduced the cast time it depends on the ratio of cast time reduction vs global cooldown reduction where the highest value is the overall limiting factor. Back to our example because our spell cast is affected by haste as well it now casts in 1.4 seconds and lines up with our GCD of 1.4 seconds. I'll assume the GCD needs more haste in order to see a reduction, under which we can say that the GCD will be the overall limiting factor.
    To illustrate that we apply a glyph that reduces the cast time of the spell by 0.1 secs. We now have a spell cast of 1.3 seconds but our GCD is still at 1.4.

Nothing substantial is gained. Do note that the faster a spell lands it briefly has higher dps. Best example is when your target dies and the cast didnt finish versus when it finishes right before it does.
    For a dot like discussed here it would mean the first tick will start earlier which would actually be a slight dps gain. You can also have the situation where because it starts earlier, another tick is able to fit in before a target dies and thus will register and contribute to dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Andarius View Post
    Without Glyph:

1.5s Unstable Affliction
    NEXT SPELL

With Glyph:

1.125s Unstable Affliction
    0.375s Global Cooldown (not affected by Glyph)
    NEXT SPELL

So it will be on the target earlier, but is not really a DPS increase...
    1.38s cast for me on PTR

Glyph not working for me, doh.
    Last edited by Bonkura; 2013-01-12 at 01:40 PM.

In an attempt to clarify some of the confusion in this thread:

The standard length of a global cooldown is 1.5 seconds.

The base cast time of Unstable Affliction is also 1.5 seconds.

Both UA and the GCD are reduced by haste using exactly the same formula, with one exception.

Haste can not reduce the GCD below 1 second, this limit is known as the GCD cap (not to be confused with GCD capping, which is something else entirely).

The Glyph of UA reduces UA's cast time by 25%, but it has no effect on the GCD. This means that UA's cast time will be lower than the GCD. With the glyph, when you finish casting UA you'll need to wait a fraction of a second for the GCD to finish before you can cast anything else. This means it has next to no impact on your DPS.

Technically, a slightly faster UA cast would mean that its first tick would happen a fraction of a second sooner and allow for the possability of an additional tick over the duration of a fight, but such a DPS increase would be so incredibly small over any reasonable amount of time that you're better off looking elsewhere to improve your damage. The glyph's purpose is more PvP-oriented, where a slightly faster cast time means that your opponent needs to be that much better at interrupting you to be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallensaint View Post
    Haste can not reduce the GCD below 1 second, this limit is known as the GCD cap (not to be confused with GCD capping, which is something else entirely).
    When a specific ability is reduced below the current GCD (which is what is happening here), some players will refer to that as "GCD-capping" since you are not technically gaining anything from further cast-time reductions on that ability. Not the same thing, but close.