Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Born in '94 here. I work hard to get a decent degree and I work hard to get a part-time job. My grades aren't the best, but I strive to obtain the highest, even if they're useless besides getting into university. I don't have much social experience, but I try really hard not to seem retarded. I might fail my own expectations, but know that I'm really trying to become a productive part of society anyway.

And yes, we're naturally dumber because the brain is still developing in the teenage years, give us '00-kids like ten years.
    I'm 27 and for me, the most important thing I've learned is that there's always more for me to learn. Even on the subjects I think I know very well, there's always something more.

I don't think people are necessarily any stupider these days, but instead I think ignorance/lack of knowledge and refusal to accept that you might not know everything there is to know on a subject are glorified to an unhealthy degree.

And that I will blame on this fucking ridiculous "there are no losers, only second place winners!" bullshit that parents are raising their kids on. How in the fuck are you supposed to find motivation and information on how to improve if you "never failed"?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    I don't know about anyone else, but I was born in 1983 and my wife's younger sister and her boyfriend think I'm an F'ing Rocket Scientist!

I will admit to having a wide band of skills from electronics, to cars, to guns, to building houses, to being an artist, etc. etc... I'm good at a LOT of things because I never wanted to depend on anyone myself. I make sure I can work with everything I'm interested in.

However, any time I talk to them about ANYTHING they just say, "I don't get it, I don't know, I don't understand, blah blah blah"... It's like I was born on another planet.

Also, I might add that my generation didn't have as much 'instant' gratification in entertainment. I had to 'make' things to do and figure things out myself. I didn't have an iPhone or the internet until I was almost 18 and then it was a brick phone and shit dial-up. Everything from their generation has NOTHING to do with patience or appreciation or knowledge or respect. Its all, "I want it now" and "I'm bored" and "I already did that. Its boring"... what a nightmare.

The amount of things they know is minimal at best. I received a 32 on my act while two of my friends received a 36 so I felt dumb... they just received their results and they had a 15 and a 17... and apparently that's normal in their school. I didn't say anything to them... but man... O_o

Edit: I'd also like to add, I always felt the previous generations to me had important information that I should try to absorb. The generations after me seem to put ZERO value on anything I or my predecessors know... and yet depend on me ALL the time to do EVERYTHING for them...
    This is how people react towards me and I was born 1990. Could it possibly, just possibly, be because it's about how we are as individuals and not about the year we are born? Just possibly..

Also, I bet people in the 80's were doing just as stupid dumfuk things people born in the 90's did when they were the age we are now. However, compare a person from the 80's to a person from the 90's today and there will be a difference. Why? They are ten years older, go figure!
    Last edited by Kheirn; 2013-01-12 at 11:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I'm 27 and for me, the most important thing I've learned is that there's always more for me to learn. Even on the subjects I think I know very well, there's always something more.

I don't think people are necessarily any stupider these days, but instead I think ignorance/lack of knowledge and refusal to accept that you might not know everything there is to know on a subject are glorified to an unhealthy degree.

And that I will blame on this fucking ridiculous "there are no losers, only second place winners!" bullshit that parents are raising their kids on. How in the fuck are you supposed to find motivation and information on how to improve if you "never failed"?
    I've never seen this before tbh, not where I live. Here we've learned that there's global warming and a large economic crisis and there's not a goddamned thing we can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen this before tbh, not where I live. Here we've learned that there's global warming and a large economic crisis and there's not a goddamned thing we can do about it.
    Well, you don't live in America... land of the ignorant, some would say
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So basically you learned that we are all loosers? :P

I'm guessing based on his maths skills the OP wasn't born in the 80s.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    So basically you learned that we are all loosers? :P
    We're all fucked! Make a FB post about it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    We're all fucked! Make a FB post about it.
    Nah all my friends on facebook already agree. In fact that is one reason i never visit facebook, too depressing :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I don't know about this. I look at my father and what he has accomplished. Then I look at today's high school graduates. And I pray for an early death. I mean there is a total difference in drive, desire, and moral justifications. My father grew up knowing that he had to work for what he wanted. Now you have a generation that figures Obama will just give everything to them. Hell, when my father was eighteen he had to work so he could by himself food and pay his utility bills. The eighteen-year-old's I graduated high school with were PO'd if mommy and daddy made them work to buy that new cell-phone or sneakers they wanted.
    You're comparing one person to a whole generation? Yeah.. that's just perfect logic right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Deleted
    im not 40 eather, but yeah.. i feel like one..

Yes we are smarter. So smart that we feel a decade older and wiser than we are.

Deleted
    No matter how much you gratify the past generations and hate the current generation, don't forget they're the ones that raised this generation of idiots.

Every generation has it's idiocy, we have Justin Bieber, the 50's had Elvis, 60's had the Beatles (INB4: "But Elvis and the Beatles are awrsum" maybe, but they were still a made artist to appease to the crazy fan girls, people <mostly parents> back then also were disgusted by them just like we're disgusted by Bieber and the likes now a days. I don't like the music we get now a days either, but back then there were probably plenty of haters for Elvis and the Beatles back then that weren't parents, it's all relative and perhaps the hate was less noticeable because lack of the interwebz, ah why am I even trying, it'll become an endless argument anyway with neither side wanting to give ground.)
    People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    Ah yes, if by discipline you mean "Listen to me or I'll give you a beating" or "Listen to your parents or go to hell" and focus less on education? Before then it was the question if you were going to get an education, have succes granted to you, work in a factory or be a farmer depending on what kind of family you were born in and as soon as the choises got more spread and the average person got richer even if there was education possibilities there were plenty of kids that didn't take their chances, you just were less aware of them because we didn't have one central point were we all meet, back then you had your own group and ofcourse you think your own group is smart.
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2013-01-12 at 12:20 PM.

Deleted
    I was born in the late 80's, grew up in the 90's, and it is hands down better than what we have today. Today's generation are self entitled spoilt little brats and it's only going to get worse now that social interactions are limited to behind a screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    I think you get more variance. The average kid from the 90s doesn't care about school much and yes, lacks discipline and has many distractions. But then you get the mega-brainiac kids who use the internet as a tool to educate themselves. Teach themselves basic programming when they aren't even teenagers yet, learn all sorts of stuff on line in addition to paying attention to school.

In other words, the information age has greatly increased the potential "smartness" and a few have taken advantage. Many have done the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    (INB4: "But Elvis and the Beatles are awrsum" maybe, but they were still a made artist to appease to the crazy fan girls
    There's a huge difference between made and self-made.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    I think most people had cell phones and computers in the late 90s at least. I think I got my first phone when I was around 13, basically when I started being out later at night. So around 97, I wasn't the only one as I remember it. Keep in mind that cell phones have been around for quite a while. I remember back in 97 the Ericsson 788 was the coolest shit, think they had around 25-30% of the market share... then came the crash. ;P

They are still absolutely huge when it comes to mobile equipment/wireless network infrastructure though, not sure if they are market leaders but they are among the very top.
    yes late 90s most ppl had cell phones and computers how ever if u were born in a low income family that was not the case back then

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I've talked to these 40 year olders and they all seem pretty smart or cool. Why does this time period rock so much? I want to know.
    I was born 1972 and I think it's because we are the first generation that grew up with the wisdom of the "old world" we got from our parents (mine where born when world war 2 started) combined with the new technologie and freedom of the new world (I was part of the computer and internet evolution from 8 bit systems and first pre-internet networks). I think it's a gift to know the lessons the WW2 generation learned and to be part of the technological revolution that happend after that. Best of both worlds. For me the whole "journey" from this:

to this:

was exciting and educational to me.

Sorry for my bad english, I only learned it in German schools many years ago.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I've talked to these 40 year olders and they all seem pretty smart or cool. Why does this time period rock so much? I want to know.
    Well, if you are born outside of the 80's, I think you've given yourself the answer to your own question. 1980 + 40 = 2020, 40 year old people from the 80's are still atleast 7 years away.

As for people from the 80's being smarter, I don't know. I remember seeing the average grade for a countrywide test when I was in elementary school (born in 19888). When the average grades for my sister's generation came along (born in 1992), the average grade on all subjects was a few tenths to two full points lower than my generation.
    Statix will suffice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Well, if you are born outside of the 80's, I think you've given yourself the answer to your own question. 1980 + 40 = 2020, 40 year old people from the 80's are still atleast 7 years away.

As for people from the 80's being smarter, I don't know. I remember seeing the average grade for a countrywide test when I was in elementary school (born in 19888). When the average grades for my sister's generation came along (born in 1992), the average grade on all subjects was a few tenths to two full points lower than my generation.
    I love these comparisons, question: Were they the exact same tests?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    this thread makes my head hurt

no i dont think people from the 80s are any smarter. do they have more life experience? absolutely but i dont think that makes any of us any smarter.