Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    How are you meeting 40 year old people from the 80s? Assuming they're born in 1980, then add 40 and you get 2020. Are we in 2020? I thought it was 2013.
    i think he ment people who grew up though the 80s like was teenagers then
    Mage: Using the Mage spell Blink will now attract the attention of creepy angel statues. Don’t “Blink.”
    Game play videos News and just plain randomness check out
    Lio's Random Gaming
    my Facebook page My twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Well, if you are born outside of the 80's, I think you've given yourself the answer to your own question. 1980 + 40 = 2020, 40 year old people from the 80's are still atleast 7 years away.

As for people from the 80's being smarter, I don't know. I remember seeing the average grade for a countrywide test when I was in elementary school (born in 19888). When the average grades for my sister's generation came along (born in 1992), the average grade on all subjects was a few tenths to two full points lower than my generation.
    I think he means people who where born 1970-75 so they where little kids 1980 and experienced the 1980-1990 time with full awareness. You can't tell much about the time before you turned 5 years or so...
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    I love these comparisons, question: Were they the exact same tests?
    Yes. They are given in the same year of childrens education (the final year, as explained below) in the same week, with the same subjects every year. At the time, I compared both the results of my test and those of my sister, and I noticed the difference.

Taken from Wikipedia, this explains it pretty well:

In The Netherlands, high school is called middelbare school (literally: "middle-level school") and starts right after the 6th grade of primary school (group 8). The pupils who attend high school are around the age of 12. Because education in the Netherlands is compulsory between the ages of 4 and 16 (and partially compulsory between the ages of 16 and 18), all pupils must attend high school.
    The high schools are part of the voortgezet onderwijs (literally: "continued education"). The voortgezet onderwijs consists of 3 main streams: vmbo, which has 4 grades and is subdivided over several levels; havo, which has 5 grades, and vwo, which has 6 grades. The choice for a particular stream is made based on the scores of an aptitude test (most commonly the CITO test), the advice of the grade 6 teacher, and the opinion of the pupil's parents or caretakers. It is possible to switch between streams. After completing a particular stream, a pupil can continue in the penultimate year of the next stream, from vmbo to havo, and from havo to vwo.
    Successfully completing a particular stream grants access to different levels of tertiary education. After vmbo, a pupil can continue training at the mbo ("middle-level applied education"). A havo diploma allows for admission to the hbo ("higher professional education"), which are universities of professional education. Only with vwo can a pupil enter into a research university.
    As for the CITO Test part, it gives you a clear view of what level of continued education you qualify for. At the time, vwo was divided into atheneum and gynmasium, with atheneum being a little lower than gymnasium. Certain pupils would get a few points in atheneum and a lot in havo, like I did. You can then decide to give atheneum level education a try, and instead of being put in a full havo class or full atheneum class, you will be put in an atheneum/class. For two years, you will have the oppertunity to be tested at a vwo level, if it's to difficult, you go back to havo. Pretty much the mainstream average for the Dutch high school.

Where my generation scored about 15% vmbo, 65% havo and 20% vwo; the generation of my sister scored 30% vbmo, 60% havo and 10% vwo. Eventhough the bulk of each generation is still havo, the people getting vmbo doubled and the people getting vwo halved; pretty ovbious proof of the decline of average intelligence.
    Statix will suffice.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Yes we are

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristeia View Post
    Honestly you seriously sound pessimistic as hell, it only seems that way to someone who wants to look down on another generation. You seem to think everything you see on TV about teenagers is what they must be like now. Teenagers are the same as they've ever been.
    You really have no idea what you're talking about. Teenagers today are nowhere close to teenagers in the past. I'm one of those 80s generation and I agree wholeheartedly with DeadlySteve.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    and actually took pride in having a legitimate hobby or skill that they worked toward honing (instead of spending all day texting on their phone or snooping on facebook).

Hell, most of the teenagers I run into have no idea what they're going to do for a career. They have no inkling of any talent or purpose they might have... they seem lost and skill-less with a bad education, no role models and no respect for anyone around them.

Teenagers nowadays take pride in what they do but what they do is different from what we did back in the days. They are really proud of what they do on their phones and how they present themselves on facebook and the internet. Time changes everything. Back in the days the most important thing you could think about was to get the best education possible to get the best job possible. Nowadays it's more important how you present yourself.

We did dress and behave like adults with 15-17 to show who we are and what is important to us. Kids these days do the same. They dress the way that expresses the most how they feel and what they want to be.

Also they aren't skill-less or have no role models. They have skills but prioritize other skills as useful than we do and their role models are just different than ours.

Are people from the 80s smarter than people today? I don't think so. In the 80s other things were important than today. When looking at people my age there are a lot that didn't adapt that well to the new times we're currently in. They have massive problems with computers and smartphones and when looking at teenagers they know so much about these things. Sure they don't know how to change a tire but they do know how to destroy your reputation by manipulating other people and sources of information.

When talking with younger people they are amazed by how much you know but is it really necessary to know so much today? If you want to know anything you can just look it up in the internet. Back when we grew up there was no internet and we needed to know everything because when we wanted to look up something we needed to go to the library which took time and look for the right book and read and so on. It just took a lot of time to get informations about a topic and therefore we learned all these informations so that we don't need to invest again a lot of time to regain the infos needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does not really have anything to do with the time period, but with age. The average 90's kid in his/her early 20s are not nearly as mature mentally or has been able to establish a decent life for his-/herself yet, unlike people from older generations.

People will probably look back at people in the 90's similarly one day, as well.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2013-01-12 at 01:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the 80s before it was cool. I was even made fun of for going to school with a denim jacket with patches on it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 07:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Statix View Post
    Well, if you are born outside of the 80's, I think you've given yourself the answer to your own question. 1980 + 40 = 2020, 40 year old people from the 80's are still atleast 7 years away.

As for people from the 80's being smarter, I don't know. I remember seeing the average grade for a countrywide test when I was in elementary school (born in 19888). When the average grades for my sister's generation came along (born in 1992), the average grade on all subjects was a few tenths to two full points lower than my generation.
    1988 to 1992 is not a generation between you. A generation is from when you're born to when your kids are born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    The amounts of generalizations and stereotyping of teens in this thread has caused my teen head to reach near-explosion levels. Let alone the superiority complex some people here seem to have over us. Jeez.

10+ Year Old Account
    The 80's. Sneaking kisses at the library. Building my 1st computer. Getting in a fight was a me vs you proposition, not me and all your friends jump in (even if all of our friends were there), with NO weapons! The advent of Rap Music, House Music, Hair bands and power ballads, jazz singers & musicians as pop stars. The ultimate dichotomy of superstars: Madonna & Michael Jackson. Original moves & TV shows that are now all being remade again. Tragedy and social activism finding it's first global voice (although the current generation is going to have a serious run at that one). The Challenger, Iran-Iraq war, Live Aid, Tiananmen Square, Chernobyl, Exon Valdez, John Lennon & Marvin Gaye murdered, This is your Brain on Drugs, AIDS, Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Don't know if were are any smarter, but the 80's sure were an interesting time.
    Love people, not things; use things, not people.
    ― Spencer W. Kimball

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zshikara View Post
    1988 to 1992 is not a generation between you. A generation is from when you're born to when your kids are born.
    So, let's say I get my first kid in 2015. That would mean that all people born from 1988 tot 2014 are from my generation. Yea, I don't think so.
    Statix will suffice.

Change a few words here and there and this could be another good and old "Vanilla was much better" thread, as it follows the idea of "Compare bad examples of X to good examples of Y, thus Y is better than X".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    People from the 90's and later were (are) raised with much less discipline and many more distractions (cell phones, text messaging, the internet). Therefore, they're dumber because they put in less work on their education when they're young.
    On the other hand, these people know in and out how to use the worlds biggest source of information: the very internet you mentioned.
    Everyone in the western world has access to all the knowledge available in the world. A point worth taking into consideration when branding them dumb.
    Last edited by Horrid Crow; 2013-01-12 at 01:28 PM.
    What is worth fighting for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Horrid Crow View Post
    On the other hand, these people know in and out how to use the worlds biggest source of information: the very internet you mentioned.
    Let's not even mention the fact that the average intelligence of the population always increases with time. There is no way a whole generation can be dumber than the previous one.

So yeah, as I said, it's only the more ignorant and intolerant ones among the older generation experiencing the superiority complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Let's not even mention the fact that the average intelligence of the population always increases with time. There is no way a whole generation can be dumber than the previous one.

So yeah, as I said, it's only the more ignorant and intolerant ones among the older generation experiencing the superiority complex.
    That article also contains a possible end section to that progression, e.g.

"In the United Kingdom, a study by Flynn (2009) found that tests carried out in 1980 and again in 2008 show that the IQ score of an average 14-year-old dropped by more than two points over the period. For the upper half of the results the performance was even worse. Average IQ scores declined by six points. However, children aged between five and 10 saw their IQs increase by up to half a point a year over the three decades. Flynn argues that the abnormal drop in British teenage IQ could be due to youth culture having "stagnated" or even dumbed down. He also states that the youth culture is more oriented towards computer games than towards of reading and holding conversations. Researcher Richard Gray, commenting on the study, also mentions the computer culture diminishing reading books as well as a tendency towards teaching to the test."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Wut? I was born in the 80s and I sure as hell aint in my 40s!
    You're not "from" the 80's then, you're a 90's person.

10+ Year Old Account
    People "from the 80s" don't necessarily had to have been born in the 80s. It's the time frame in which you grew up. So a guy born in 1975 was most certainly a 80s kid and he'd be closing in on 40. Tell me, do you really recall that much from before you were 5 or 6? I know I really don't, I recall some memories and have a general vague hazy picture of my years during age 4-6 but not with much clarity.

Kids "from the 80s" were born in 1974-1983. Later then that and I'd say you're more of a 90s kid.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Also love how people are neglecting the amount of revolutions/freedom of information issues and cross cultural boundaries that have been shattered due to same internet. Arab kids speaking to American kids online and playing games together? Yeh, try doing that back in 1985...
    I'm born 1972 and the internet is one of the best things that ever happened. It's the first time in the history of mankind that we can communicate instantly with the whole world. The internet and the information age is the best weapon against dicatorship and massive human right violations. Knowledge is power.

I was 13 years old in 1985 and was trying to communicate with people from USA via the Bulleting Board System. It was very expensive and very exciting. I was using a 2400 bps modem. For comparison, a DSL 10 MBit line is 500 times faster.

When I was born the film "Computer Networks: The Heralds of Resource Sharing" was created. It had a vision and now the vision is reality, it's even better than the vision.

I recommend everyone born 1990 and later to watch this to understand how awesome and fast the developement has been. Now imagine beeing there when every major breakthrough became reality.

It's a blessing and wonderful to be part of this history.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post

Actually, there was some interesting work in this area in the UK, which showed that there were several competing effects on average intelligence. Low-int people tend to have more children, which pushes avg int down, while nutrition is still pushing int up. It's not impossible for avg int to fall from generation to generation.

But int as measured by IQ test is a limited subset of the talents and inclinations that over time make up real world effectiveness. I think things like the mobile phone, the Internet and its effect on the difficulty of acquiring knowledge and skill, and maybe the influence of screen-based activities at an early age definitely have an effect on the peripheral things around IQ which act to multiply intelligence into skill.
    Last edited by mmoce5bb4403c1; 2013-01-12 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    the music and attitude.
    The music from the 80s makes you think people were smart then?
    You need help.

I mean, there was some good rock back then and the occasional iconic pop/electro band. But most I remember is strange hairdo and Spandex. On MEN!