Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kwflange View Post
    Sources or go to bed kid.
    Yeah, older generations really ARE more intelligent and mature(!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    The Flynn effect. By the way, yes, I am what I guess you would call a kid. I'm 17. Is that enough for you to completely stereotype me and dismiss my argument because of my age?
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-12 at 08:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I've talked to these 40 year olders and they all seem pretty smart or cool. Why does this time period rock so much? I want to know.

We are actually. I'm 27 by the way, and I'm from the 80's...
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Yeah, older generations really ARE more intelligent and mature(!)
    Every generation has its geniuses.
    Every generation has its morons.

Don't let encounters with either of these types influence your judgement.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I made this thread last night not really thinking it thru. I meant to say is the 80's generation cooler not smarter. I was born in 1969

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they are,
    Particularly so in Europe.
    And I blame the Chernobyl disaster.
    One might think drinking and taking drugs during pregnancy is bad, It is harmless when compared to the effects of being born when your entire ecosystem is contaminated by zirconium-95, niobium-95, lanthanum-140 and cerium-144.
    It contaminates the entire food chain, and gradually builds up the further up you get.
    Eventually you end up with human fetuses getting radioactive isotopes in their system, disrupting their formation at a very early stage.
    And causing an increased % of genetic mutations world wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    No. I for one, contrary to popular belief, believe that every generation will be a tad smarter than the previous one since they benefit from the progress we make now, and intergrate it into themselves from a younger age than we did since we discovered it later in our lives.

Technically speaking that is correct. There is a lot of research done on intelligence, some more popular than others of course, but one of the more established facts is that the "general" intelligence increases over time; what would be considered Mensa level intelligence today will be average at some point in the future. Can't recall the exact time period but we're talking some decades, if I don't recall incorrectly (been awhile since I read this). We're talking a fair bit more than just a decade or two for very quantifiable changes though.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, this sort of flies in the face of older people being more intelligent or mature. If it were true that older people are more mature, you wouldn't have responded this way. You would have asked for a source without the "go to bed kid," which only serves to try and promote a type of superiority that you feel you may have by assuming that he's younger than you are, and that him being younger means he's less intelligent than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I made this thread last night not really thinking it thru. I meant to say is the 80's generation cooler not smarter. I was born in 1969
    I think that would be a bit harder to prove, at least objectively.

I'm going to throw out an explanation with no support or evidence but it may hold some truth in it anyway for the OP.

Gen X was the last generation that grew up before cynicism went mainstream (or this could be read as the first generation to grow up alongside the rise of cynicism)

Oh sure there were cynics in the flower power generation. And sarcasm has always existed. But for a variety of reasons that may or may not include the end of the Cold War (with its clear lines of separation), the rise of David Letterman and the end of Johnny Carson, or the huge popularity of Bridges of Madison County (this is to illustrate the unknowable, no matter how much we may claim to know), cynicism appears to have gone mainstream in the 90s.

Cynicism, as an intellectual exercise, is actually kinda lazy (note: I'm not saying Skepticism is; Skepticism can be very hard). Those who grew up in a non-cynical world -- and as of yet aren't old enough that life and experience hasn't worn its own cynicism into their soul -- may appear "more intelligent" [Edit: Or "more cool"] to you because you yourself (subconsciously?) prefer their outlook.

Or I may be full of shit.
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2013-01-12 at 08:32 PM.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I'm going to throw out an explanation with no support or evidence but it may hold some truth in it anyway for the OP.

Gen X was the last generation that grew up before cynicism went mainstream (or this could be read as the first generation to grow up alongside the rise of cynicism)

Oh sure there were cynics in the flower power generation. And sarcasm has always existed. But for a variety of reasons that may or may not include the end of the Cold War (with its clear lines of separation), the rise of David Letterman and the end of Johnny Carson, or the huge popularity of Bridges of Madison County (this is to illustrate the unknowable, no matter how much we may claim to know), cynicism appears to have gone mainstream in the 90s.

Cynicism, as an intellectual exercise, is actually kinda lazy (note: I'm not saying Skepticism is; Skepticism can be very hard). Those who grew up in a non-cynical world -- and as of yet aren't old enough that life and experience hasn't worn its own cynicism into their soul -- may appear "more intelligent" to you because you yourself (subconsciously?) prefer their outlook.

Or I may be full of shit.
    Yeah, cynicisim is the only thing I'm worried about my generation. How are we supposed to progress if all we're going to do is to try to act smarter than everyone else "and see the truth" (which obviously has to do with the government or the neocorporatists) and always look bitter at the future? I want spaceships in my future damn you, not resource wars and nuclear annihiliation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Wow. Just wow.

You might be into a lot of stuff, but you seem to be a huge douchebag to me after reading this paragraph, that might explain why teenagers like me don't wanna hang around you, you know.
    How am I a douche bag exactly? It was stated that teenagers find me boring. I like a wide range of things and I often have something in common with a lot of people. I was simply explaining that if you find every single thing about me boring; I don't think you'd be interested in many things in general and would have a propensity to being boring yourself. Nobody I actually meet thinks I'm a douche bag. That being said, if you'd like to think of me as one, it doesn't bother me. The internet is full of people telling each other how much they hate the other person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    The Flynn effect. By the way, yes, I am what I guess you would call a kid. I'm 17. Is that enough for you to completely stereotype me and dismiss my argument because of my age?
    But that article also suggests a possible end of that effect.

Norway: "...the increase of scores of general intelligence stopped after the mid-1990s and declined in numerical reasoning sub-tests."
    UK: "...tests carried out in 1980 and again in 2008 show that the IQ score of an average 14-year-old dropped by more than two points over the period. For the upper half of the results the performance was even worse. Average IQ scores declined by six points."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    How am I a douche bag exactly? It was stated that teenagers find me boring. I like a wide range of things and I often have something in common with a lot of people. I was simply explaining that if you find every single thing about me boring; I don't think you'd be interested in many things in general and would have a propensity to being boring yourself. Nobody I actually meet thinks I'm a douche bag. That being said, if you'd like to think of me as one, it doesn't bother me. The internet is full of people telling each other how much they hate the other person.
    However, If someone cannot find something about me that matches their personality / interests and they find me straight up "boring", then they are probably "boring" themselves. That's a HUUUUUUUUGE amount of things to hate. If an entire generation doesn't see that I have anything of interest to teach or share or enjoy with them as you and a couple other people suggest... then that generation is severely lacking as a whole.
    Sounds like whacking off your ego at ego avenue. That someone finds you boring doesn't make someone else boring.

Funny stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Sounds like whacking off your ego at ego avenue. That someone finds you boring doesn't make someone else boring.
    First, I was not gloating. People don't know me but called me boring, so I was simply explaining the type of person I was and the range of interests I have. And even you would have to admit that my interests are very broad and probably span a majority percentage of people with average interests. I would have to conclude that if you don't like ANY of the interests I have, there would be a higher than average chance that yes... they are a boring person. And the original poster wasn't even talking about one person... he was talking about an ENTIRE GENERATION that found me completely boring. That's absurd.

On a side note, I'm sorry you think I'm an egotistical douche bag. :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
    But that article also suggests a possible end of that effect.
    It suggests. In 2 countries. Sure, I'm not not saying the effect will continue forever, I just don't think that for example a 20 year old person in the 90s was dumber than a 20 year old in the 80s. Or a 20 year old in the 2000s than a 20 year old in the 90s.

One might also argue that testing a 14 year old is rather useless since educational standards might've changed, i.e., decisions might've been brought about having kids start school later or perhaps their education was a bit lightened up in the years up to 14 or so and hardened after 14 or so. These are of course huge assumptions but such findings are entirely possible, and especially when you have the data pool of the entire world, meaning about 200 countries.

This is why I personally find the PISA scores to be a rather bad standard for comparing education in various countries. For example, in some countries you start school at 7 and in some at 5. This automatically means the former countries' results will be lower assuming the educational quality is the same. I'm seriously baffled as to why they don't test adults who're done with their education and judge the education of a given country based on that.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-01-12 at 09:43 PM.

Deleted
    First, I was not gloating. People don't know me but called me boring, so I was simply explaining the type of person I was and the range of interests I have. And even you would have to admit that my interests are very broad and probably span a majority percentage of people with average interests. I would have to conclude that if you don't like ANY of the interests I have, there would be a higher than average chance that yes... they are a boring person. And the original poster wasn't even talking about one person... he was talking about an ENTIRE GENERATION that found me completely boring. That's absurd.

I still think that while you have a wide span of interests, it doesn't mean everyone is boring. A guy that enjoys lots of classical music for example, would he be boring despite being an otherwise funny guy at the pub? Yes, boring interests to most people, but if he thinks it's fun...

Still, I understand now what you were trying to say, and I'm sorry I was a douchebag about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How can one be 40 years old, yet be born in the 80s?
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

My, friend you may in fact be the most amazing person to ever walk the planet. The problem, as I mentioned several pages ago is not how exciting or boring you are.

God's sake man, you are 30 not 15 anymore. Why on earth would you expect a teen to relate to you or want to be your friend? I sure don't relate or want to be friends with them.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Why do all machines and equipment from 80's/ 90's have a strange colour to them? Kind of like a mucky cream...makes everything look dirty :S
    Beige was a nice neutral color which blended in effectively with the predominantly pastel colour schemes which dominated corporate office spaces in the early 1980s. Marks don't show up on Beige quite as quickly or as obviously as they do on pure white or jet black. The use of Beige helped to maintain the clean, efficient image offices were supposed to project.

At the time, the color Beige also happened to be the main color of office technology - fax machines, photocopiers, telex machines, they all came in that same off-white shade. At that times a computer was for work and had to look professional.

Another widely suggested reason for the choice of the color beige was more psychologically driven. When PC's first started to rise in popularity and quantity, they were strange new technology, which frankly, scared and intimidated a lot of people who were less technologically comfortable/capable. Beige, being a soft, gentle color which is easy on the eyes, may well have been an attempt to take away some of the fear the electronics inside the boxes instilled in these people. I find this easy to believe, and, like the default colour of technology mentioned above, it logically progresses forward into a time when more and more people were becoming more comfortable with technology. As it became less intimidating and more commonplace, there was less reason to try to hide it away in nondescript Beige boxes. With this reasoning in mind, the recent rapid transition to stark black and shining silver computers also makes reasonably good sense.

Another reason for the early predominance of Beige was cost. Beige may have been the color that the pellets used in plastic mass-production came in originally. Keeping the same colour allowed for cost savings as there was no dye cost, and no real costs associated with quality-control having to ensure the same shade of plastic was being produced over and over again.

Edit: Today computers are nearly all black with blue leds or Apple white. Maybe in the future computers are all red and blue... who knows.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2013-01-13 at 11:56 AM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!