Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Remember birth control for men? Well apparently I got it wrong a while ago.

It seems something for men already exists... and it's damn near 100% effective (1 out of a 250 member sample had an unplanned pregnancy), non-hormonal, completely reversible and a single procedure works for 10 years. If you want it undone, the procedure is equally simple and reverses itself in 3 months.

http://techcitement.com/culture/the-.../#.UPES04njm2t
    Last edited by Laize; 2013-01-12 at 07:44 AM.

Holy moly, I'm gonna look into getting this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It seems something for men already exists... and it's damn near 100% effective (1 out of a 250 member sample had an unplanned pregnancy), non-hormonal, completely reversible and a single procedure works for 10 years. If you want it undone, the procedure is equally simple and reverses itself in 3 months.

Whoa, hold up there, hoss. Isn't this twice in one week you've admitted you were wrong!?

Were the Mayans off by, like, a month or something?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I got it wrong
    Who are you and what did you do with the real Laize?

10+ Year Old Account
    No one is putting a needle near my junk.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

i wouldnt trust it

The title is "The best birth control in the word is for men"
    "The best"
    Sure, if you want to discount all the ones that are better:
    Abstinence
    Condoms
    Vasectomy
    Tubes Tied
    The pill
    The morning after pill
    Depo-Provera shot

All more effective, and most are free in a lot of places, or covered by insurance.

Until you're the 1 out of 250. In a society where too many people have more kids than they can handle/afford/take care of, 1 in 250 is nowhere near acceptable.

Just get a vasectomy, $400-500 at any reputable doctor, one time, 100% effective.
    Last edited by Dazzy; 2013-01-12 at 08:10 AM.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

10+ Year Old Account
    I laugh at anyone desperate enough for sexual intercourse to essentially use a needle to puncture his genitals. gg

Deleted
    How about a proper source instead of some shady blog?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Until you're the 1 out of 250. In a society where too many people have more kids than they can handle/afford/take care of, 1 in 250 is nowhere near acceptable.

Just get a vasectomy, $400-500 at any reputable doctor, one time, 100% effective.
    And also irreversibly damaging to the reproductive system.

Sure in a little under half the cases it can actually be reversed, but were you aware that even in the event of reversal the body develops antibodies for sperm and winds up killing the lion's share of them?

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    How about a proper source instead of some shady blog?
    take your pick

Deleted
    So it hasn't even passed trials anywhere yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    So it hasn't even passed trials anywhere yet.
    No, but that's to be expected really.

Fucking FDA red tape.

...mmmm ya no needle is going near there ever it could be 100% and Keeps me 100% safe from all STD's still not happening.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    A doctor applies some local anesthetic, makes a small pinhole in the base of the scrotum, reaches in with a pair of very thin forceps, and pulls out the small white vas deferens tube. Then, the doctor injects the polymer gel (called Vasalgel here in the US), pushes the vas deferens back inside, repeats the process for the other vas deferens, puts a Band-Aid over the small hole, and the man is on his way.
    Not sure if I can stand that or even prepare myself to see it done, even with all the anesthetic. Even if I have a strong limit to pain as I had appendicite operation with just a bit of anesthetic or Laser Skin Resurfacing with no anesthetic, the needle to the junk seems a bit more.

By its description, it's essentially a male version of a copper IUD (obviously through different mechanisms, but both deliver essentially the same benefits). Since these already exist for women, I don't see this as really all that big of news. It's great for men that do not trust their partner(s), or for couples where the female refuses/cannot use birth control. But looking at the big picture, I wouldn't expect a big decline in unwanted pregnancies on the societal level.

The bulk of unwanted pregnancies come from irresponsible teenagers, and from people in low socioeconomic regions. In both cases, I wouldn't expect a group of mostly uneducated and uninsured people to adopt this contraceptive, not when they already struggle to use the existing options.

So, as I said, it's always nice to hear about new options being developed, but it's not going to change very much. There's going to be resistance against releasing the contraceptive (for a lot of different reasons) and pro-campaigners for the contraceptive (again, for a lot of different reasons), but if/when it finally does become available, it'll be pretty ho-hum once the sensationalism dies down.
    I know that you are reading this, and I approve.

I wonder if people in this thread recognize that the scrotum is not (at least in my experience) susceptible to any pain more than any other part of the body save, of course, blunt force. You get stuck with a needle in the coin purse and, as long as it's not in the nut, it doesn't hurt any worse than anything else.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if people in this thread recognize that the scrotum is not (at least in my experience) susceptible to any pain more than any other part of the body save, of course, blunt force. You get stuck with a needle in the coin purse and, as long as it's not in the nut, it doesn't hurt any worse than anything else.
    I'm a guy that's well aware of how and what sensitive things are down there and I still don't want sharp objects anywhere near that area of my body.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekr View Post
    By its description, it's essentially a male version of a copper IUD (obviously through different mechanisms, but both deliver essentially the same benefits). Since these already exist for women, I don't see this as really all that big of news. It's great for men that do not trust their partner(s), or for couples where the female refuses/cannot use birth control. But looking at the big picture, I wouldn't expect a big decline in unwanted pregnancies on the societal level.

The bulk of unwanted pregnancies come from irresponsible teenagers, and from people in low socioeconomic regions. In both cases, I wouldn't expect a group of mostly uneducated and uninsured people to adopt this contraceptive, not when they already struggle to use the existing options.

So, as I said, it's always nice to hear about new options being developed, but it's not going to change very much. There's going to be resistance against releasing the contraceptive (for a lot of different reasons) and pro-campaigners for the contraceptive (again, for a lot of different reasons), but if/when it finally does become available, it'll be pretty ho-hum once the sensationalism dies down.
    Well, right now, men have 2 options. Condoms or vasectomies. It's always good to protect yourself in the event the other person is the irresponsible type.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Abstinence
    Ludicrous, not an option.

Condoms
    Many men despise the feel of condoms and what it does to the session. I'm not on that list, but I know plenty who are. Condoms absolutely decrease the physical pleasure of sex. They have advantages that make them worthwhile, of course- but condoms make sex less fun, and that sucks. Replacing condoms is the big goal of pretty much all other contraception :P

Vasectomy
    A valid option for a man who is sure he doesn't want kids. The downsides are that both the procedure and the reverse are surgical- and the body, with "blocked up" sperm in some cases detects the sperm as foreign and attacks them. This can make a reversed vasectomy very sketchy- your body might autoimmune your sperm. Only some vasectomies are reversible.

Tubes Tied
    Again, this is a sterilization procedure- even less likely to be reversed. If you might want kids later, then this is a problem. Additionally, if you are a man, this doesn't involve your parts and therefore doesn't really count. A girl can say she's infertile and lie, or simply not want to permanently sterilized. While good for a woman who had decided she doesn't want to reproduce, this isn't on the table for a man.

The pill
    Also not an option for a man. A woman can very easily forget her pill (or less commonly, "forget" her pill), and many things, such as antibiotics can interfere with it. Mostly this won't be your concern if you are in a solid relationship with a chick you trust, but the various pills all mess with hormones, which can change many things. Women use the pill and other hormone based birth control because it's better for them than the alternatives, but it's still a sketchy thing that can mess with periods, mess with weight, change moods, and alter what men she finds attractive. And most importantly, if you are a guy, the pill isn't a birth control method for you, because it works inside the girl- it's not even validly on this list in the first place.

The morning after pill
    This is much riskier- this is not used commonly, and generally not as contraception.

Depo-Provera shot
    This is mostly like a pill.

All more effective, and most are free in a lot of places, or covered by insurance.
    None of those except condoms and vasectomies are birth control for men. Condoms reduce sexual pleasure- a deal some men can't make, and of those of us who can, we would like something better. Vasectomy should be off the table if you still want kids.

So yea, this procedure has some things to offer. But it's surgical, and it's new, so I'd view it as sketchy. I think an ideal birth control for men would be a pill that would somehow disable sperm temporarily. That would be far superior to the other options- the advantages of the pill, without the disadvantages of it only being for women and it messing with hormones.

Until you're the 1 out of 250.
    Or the one out of 100 that the pill fails for.

1 in 250 is nowhere near acceptable.
    Funny, my assumption with this is that the 1/250 is actually a lowside estimate. Other birth control methods clock in with higher failure rates for sure. You should at least check wikipedia.

But then you are permanently sterile unless you reverse it surgically- and then you may STILL be sterile.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, right now, men have 2 options. Condoms or vasectomies. It's always good to protect yourself in the event the other person is the irresponsible type.
    Well, rubbers are a given until you're certain both of you aren't seeing anyone else on the side and you're both sure you're clean... even if the girl's on the pill.

Vasectomy... I know you're against it, but I'm not. I'd definitely consider it after having a kid. That said... injection is probably a lot easier.

Still... I don't like needles. I like needles in that area of my body even less.