Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Well the original post wasn't perhaps worded so correctly, as we couldn't cross it in 4 billion years on account of we can't travel at the speed of light It just perhaps wasn't entirely clear is all, no biggie!
    Yall sure get stuck up on wording in this here parts :3
    Momma used to say that to the good listener, half a word is enough, but then momma got too much whiskey in her noggin

Deleted
    Except only light could cross it at that speed, nothing else! Therefore the correct term is 4billion years or longer!
    Doesn't change the fact that light travels at a fixed speed and will take precisely 4 billion years to cross it. Not faster and not slower.
    Although I understand what your fishing at. But if we gonna use technology we currently posses to cross 4 billion light years then, well, we simply don't have enough space in the entire universe to write out how long it would take in numbers

I can strawman too!
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-01-12 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I'd like to think the opposite. We are extremely significant. There are no life-forms like us, anywhere.
    You don't know that.

When I say "like us", I mean identical to us. It's probably there is other types of life, but ours is entirely unique.
    So every species of random insects you'll never ever see is also "extremely significant". Being unique does not significance make.

Oh kmon sema, let him be a bit romantic :P

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Oh kmon sema, let him be a bit romantic :P
    You make me feel like a bully :(
    that's my therapist's job

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that light travels at a fixed speed and will take precisely 4 billion years to cross it. Not faster and not slower.
    Although I understand what your fishing at. But if we gonna use technology we currently posses to cross 4 billion light years then, well, we simply don't have enough space in the entire universe to write out how long it would take in numbers

I can strawman too!
    I think you missed what I was saying. The guy said "It would take 4 billion years to cross it." Without specifying light, this is not correct. Also yes light would take exactly 4 billion years, however everything else would take longer, so your starting point is 4billion, with light achieving that and everything else being 4billion +. Hence, 4billion years or longer. Longer being everything that isn't light.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    You don't know that.

So every species of random insects you'll never ever see is also "extremely significant". Being unique does not significance make.
    The chances of there being life forms that are geneticly very close to us, is almost non-excistant. That's not to say that there won't be life, and that it might walk on two legs and have two arms, but we will be very very different from such life regardless of it's amount of limbs. The way evolution has happened here is under the circuimstances and environments that have excisted here, and only here.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more amazed that I've never heard of this before:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0722142058.htm

Watery Black Hole... O.o
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you missed what I was saying. The guy said "It would take 4 billion years to cross it." Without specifying light, this is not correct. Also yes light would take exactly 4 billion years, however everything else would take longer, so your starting point is 4billion, with light achieving that and everything else being 4billion +. Hence, 4billion years or longer. Longer being everything that isn't light.
    It would take you 4 billions years to cross it, at the speed of light. It's 4 billion light years across.
    Stop nitpicking on the way I phrased myself, it's ridiculous.

Deleted
    Well, of course. But we still understood what he meant. Arguing about semantics of something we understood is pointless. xD

15+ Year Old Account
    Impressive, although it isn't a "structure", it's a grouping. I'd define a structure as...structured, touching, completely dependent on one another, that is not, with the exception of gravitational pulls gained from one another.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Deleted
    Not in the whole universe but only as far as we can detect atm.

Well, of course. But we still understood what he meant. Arguing about semantics of something we understood is pointless. xD
    Always expect that someone will not be able to understand the then write everything as if you're talking to that person. Its the easiest way to deal with the forums

You make me feel like a bully :(
    that's my therapist's job
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! *pets and nuzzles* there there, an adorable one!
    And naaah not a bully at all haha

Waaaait, was that a guilttrip?! *looks at with narrow eyes*

Deleted
    Always expect that someone will not be able to understand the then write everything as if you're talking to that person. Its the easiest way to deal with the forums
    It's just trolls who don't understand physics these days

It's just trolls who don't understand physics these days
    Pfft, I have no clue as to most physics, leave it to people that care about it and will actually do something with it :P

Deleted
    Pff Still not as big as my ego.

Interesting read. 1600 times the distance between milky-way and Andromeda ? Hell of a wait time for a intergalactic pizza

Pfft, I have no clue as to most physics, leave it to people that care about it and will actually do something with it :P
    Physics is totally overrated anyway. So much maths! I just wanna look at pretty universe pictures

Physics is totally overrated anyway. So much maths! I just wanna look at pretty universe pictures
    STOP BEING ME IN FEMALE FORM
    * Runs away screaming

But I dunno, science was just never my thing, neither was calculated maths, mental maths is all I need thanks! I do also agree it just looks amazing, I just think that to really understand it its something you should spend a lifetime on, a lifetime I'm not willing to spend

Deleted
    Nah me neither really. But the very basics of it is pretty much common knowledge. Or it has become on the internet at least.
    If you can search on google then you're basically an amateur physicist in the making xD

Also this^
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-01-12 at 09:36 PM.