Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Astronomy - Largest Structure in the Universe found

Prepare to have your mind fucked!

It's 4 billion light years across. Yes that means that it would take 4 billion years to cross it, at the speed of light.
    The finding of this massive system of quasars, stars and black holes that topple the notions we had on the size of the universe.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0111092539.htm
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-01-12 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    It's sad there isn't any intelligent life there though.

That is quite interesting, thanks for the share.

This will give ace to a whole new panoply of yo momma jokes

Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    That is quite interesting, thanks for the share.

This will give ace to a whole new panoply of yo momma jokes
    yo momma so fat it takes 4 billion years just to get from one end of her to the other! no that needs some work.

What's amazing is that the whole observable universe is only 93 billion light years in diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    You don't know that.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing says that there can't be any sentient life there. Infact, this just gives even greater chance of there being some. The more mass in the universe, the better!

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Prepare to have your mind fucked!

It's 4 billion light years across. Yes that means that it would take 4 billion years to cross it.
    The finding of this massive system of quasars topples the notions we had on the size of the universe.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0111092539.htm
    I hope you don't mean that 4 billion light years=4billion years (a light year equals the distance light travels in a year)
    OT. Thanks for the intresting share!

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to discuss how amazing I thought this is with a guy I go to church with. Then after like 30 seconds i remembered who i was talking to. I find this to be absolutely fascinating and I can't wait to hear more about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    shouldn't it be in the "observable" universe. Still amazing though.

I see they finally located my johnson.

In all seriousness though, that scale is pretty hard to wrap your mind around.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    universe of quasars? Can they produce life?

Gives you a bit of an idea about how insignificant we all really are in relation to the grand scheme (if there is a scheme) of the universe. This thread, my life, the human race, the earth, our solar system, hell, the Milky Way galaxy is but a virus on a fly on a horse on a mountain.

So ask out that girl, fellow mmo-champ readers and posters :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by velghus View Post
    I hope you don't mean that 4 billion light years=4billion years (a light year equals the distance light travels in a year)
    travelling at the speed of light, it would take 4 billion years.

the actual paper itself if anyone is interested:
    http://mnras.oxfordjournals.org/cont....full.pdf+html
    Last edited by Rakeer; 2013-01-13 at 02:38 AM.

Deleted
    He means that it takes 4 billion years to cross it at the speed of light. So yes, that's exactly what he means and he is correct.

Interesting find. Would love a more detailed article though.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-01-12 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    He means that it takes 4 billion years to cross it at the speed of light. So yes, that's exactly what he means and he's correct.
    Well the original post wasn't perhaps worded so correctly, as we couldn't cross it in 4 billion years on account of we can't travel at the speed of light It just perhaps wasn't entirely clear is all, no biggie!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I meant that at the speed of light, it would take 4 billion years to cross it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    universe of quasars? Can they produce life?
    You should read the article

It's not just quasars.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    Well the original post wasn't perhaps worded so correctly, as we couldn't cross it in 4 billion years on account of we can't travel at the speed of light It just perhaps wasn't entirely clear is all, no biggie!
    It made perfect sense. He said the object was "4 billion light years across" and that it would take "4 billion years to cross it".
    Now using simple mathematics and logic. How fast would you have to travel to cross 4 billion light years in 4 billion years? :P

It makes perfect sense and was crystal clear that he was speaking of travel at the speed of light.
    One only had to use the brain <3
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-01-12 at 09:05 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortai2 View Post
    Gives you a bit of an idea about how insignificant we all really are in relation to the grand scheme (if there is a scheme) of the universe. This thread, my life, the human race, the earth, our solar system, hell, the Milky Way galaxy is but a virus on a fly on a horse on a mountain.

So ask out that girl, fellow mmo-champ readers and posters :P
    I'd like to think the opposite. We are extremely significant. There are no life-forms like us, anywhere. When I say "like us", I mean identical to us. It's probably there is other types of life, but ours is entirely unique. The grand scale of the universe only makes us even more important, and it should inspire us to take care of the Earth, rather than the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    It made perfect sense. He said the object was "4 billion light years across" and that it would take "4 billion years to cross it".
    Now using simple mathematics and logic. How fast would you have to travel to cross 4 billion light years in 4 billion years? :P

It makes perfect sense if one only uses the brain <3
    Except only light could cross it at that speed, nothing else! Therefore the correct term is 4billion years or longer!