Mexico City emerging as an environmental model citizen

Here's a pretty interesting one.

Through what seems like (according to this article) no force or coercion from legalities (But with incentives) Mexico City has become one of the most environmentally conscious cities around. I'm not familiar with the air-quality scoring system, but I know that a score of 200 is way bigger than a score of 50. And I know they're not done yet.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...urns-a-corner/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hastings95 View Post
    Good for them, wish we could say the same about the U.S.

Port of Houston = bleh.
    What's wrong with the Port of Houston?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    I never noticed. I don't spend much time down-bayou of the port though. I do live straight up-bayou from the port though.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Here's a pretty interesting one.

Through what seems like (according to this article) no force or coercion from legalities (But with incentives) Mexico City has become one of the most environmentally conscious cities around. I'm not familiar with the air-quality scoring system, but I know that a score of 200 is way bigger than a score of 50. And I know they're not done yet.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/...urns-a-corner/
    Im pretty sure that it helps them a lot with the legalities enforcing environmental restrictions. It could be worse than it was...

http://www.photius.com/rankings/envi...ndex_2008.html

They are number 47 on this rank. Belgium and Netherlands are below Mexico in environmental performance... GET YO SHIT TOGETHA!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Doesnt Mexico City have some really bad plumbing issues, due to the fact its built on something structurally insecure.
    I think its built in the middle of a lake. Something about the underground makes earthquakes more severe as well...

National Geographic says so.

Good for them, wish we could say the same about the U.S.
    For what it's worth, the WHO ranks the US as one of the cleanest air countries in the world: http://www.statisticbrain.com/countr...air-pollution/

I strongly suspect that our advantages over European nations are primarily a result of lower population density rather than policy, but it still doesn't make us look so bad. According to the same study, as per HuffPo (citation), the air in Washington, DC was cleaner than in Tokyo and much cleaner than Paris.

Of course, I'd like to see us continue to get better, but we're doing pretty well, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Sounds like a great achievement. Are they done murdering canadian tourists yet? Thats what I want to know.

I never realized that, thanks for the links, that is actually really really surprising information to me.
    As someone that had lung problems when I first moved to DC a couple years ago, I was surprised to see that we do well. Apparently the problems here have more to do with extremely high pollen counts and spectacular summer heat and humidity than with actual bad air.

It's kind of funny that the view of Mexico is largely associated with its border towns and cartel issues. That aside (which is a mighty huge aside, for what it's worth) it's not exactly a horrible place. Some of the University Towns there are absolutely gorgeous, and Mexico City is one of the bigger hubs of business, technology and education in the western hemisphere.

Good to hear they're working on their environmental impact. To think that it's starting to really live up to its downright glorious past in the modern era is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    For what it's worth, the WHO ranks the US as one of the cleanest air countries in the world: http://www.statisticbrain.com/countr...air-pollution/

I strongly suspect that our advantages over European nations are primarily a result of lower population density rather than policy, but it still doesn't make us look so bad. According to the same study, as per HuffPo (citation), the air in Washington, DC was cleaner than in Tokyo and much cleaner than Paris.

Of course, I'd like to see us continue to get better, but we're doing pretty well, really.
    I think it is very much density that helps. Take Copenhagen for eg. Its pretty green - but air pollution from the Baltics are screwing up our rankings every time...