Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question High Elf Demon Hunter (Lore Question)

I enjoy WoW's lore but I am not extremely knowledgeable about all of it. It seems to be popular speculation that alliance may be getting High Elves as the next race and the next expansion may be the return of the burning legion. If it is BL, then a demon hunter class is pretty probable. My question is, if all of what I said came true, how against the lore would it be to have a High Elf demon hunter?

I think your post has the most assumptions I've seen yet.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    I enjoy WoW's lore but I am not extremely knowledgeable about all of it. It seems to be popular speculation that alliance may be getting High Elves as the next race and the next expansion may be the return of the burning legion. If it is BL, then a demon hunter class is pretty probable. My question is, if all of what I said came true, how against the lore would it be to have a High Elf demon hunter?
    According to the RPG books, which is essentially the only piece of lore on Demon Hunters as a class, anyone can be one; they just have to follow a special ritual in which they gouge their own eyes out with a fel-magic dagger to gain "Illidan's Eyes", and then some martial training. However, Night and Blood Elves are the most common.

10+ Year Old Account
    No a High - elf would not be a demon hunter.
    From lore taken from Illidan, being a demon hunter
    requires you to embraces the demon energies.
    The goal of a demon hunter is to use the same
    demonic or fel energies of the burning legion
    against the burning legion. So demon hunters
    harness fel energy similarly how warlocks use
    demons to fight the legion. A high elf that
    harness demonic energy is ... A Blood Elf.
    It was Illidans teachings on how to use
    demonic energy that turned the blood elves'
    eyes green and helped their magical addiction.
    High elves would NEVER use demon energy.
    Using demon energy cause the high elf - Blood elf
    divide in the first place.

So if high elves are a playable race they would not be:
    Warlocks, Demon hunters, Rogues, or Death knights
    according to lore high elves abhorred the practices of
    all these classes.

If demon hunters became a class, then you could play
    Ally - Human, dwarf, gnome, worgen, and Night elf of course.
    (side note: Night elf demon hunters would be accepted like Orc warlocks ie Not very well lore wise)
    Horde: Every horde race but Tauren (Orc, Troll, Forsaken, Belf, & Goblins)

Pandas would not be demon hunters either.
    Last edited by Rockwood; 2013-01-12 at 06:09 AM.

Any race can be corrupted, and all have been.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Demon Hunters are vague in lore. They started out being an ancient order of demon hunters which Illidan appeared to dress in their style or they were imitating him, it wasn't really known, WC3's manual spoke of them as if they were an ancient clandestine warrior cult. Then Knaack wrote the Well of Eternity trilogy and suddenly Illidan was blinded against his will by Sargeras and all of his iconic physical details and fighting ability became incidental, which in turn made out all demon hunters to seem like they all are just imitating Illidan, which always seemed a bad thing in my opinion.

As of Cata, we now learn of an ancient order of demon hunters among the Kaldorei named the Dark Embrace. They and the Illidari seem to be the only ones we know of at this point.

In the RPG, anyone could be one, and they seemed to be imitating Illidan.

I would prefer it if Blizzard retcons things to have Illidan dressing in the vestments of an established ancient order of Kaldorei fighters in some way rather than all demon hunters being Illidan wannabes. But I just want to know more about the Dark Embrace in the end.

I imagine anyone who hates demons enough to cut out their own eyes and bind a demonic essence to their soul needs a very good reason.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Any race can be corrupted, and all have been.
    Yet we do not just place anyone in a race, We play as one character with in a faction of that race.
    Thus (playable) Tauren, (playable) Draenei, (playable) Night elves and (playable) Pandaren factions
    do not use demon energies and do not associate with the corrupted factions of their race.
    Some unplayable factions like High-elves are purists and abstain from any corruption or members
    of their race that have been corrupted.

Demon hunters are like Warlocks in that they embrace corruption and use it for the good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
    all these classes.
    I don't see why they would have a problem with rogues, and as for Death Knights, it's not a following they would choose like another class. That's an individual essentially selling his soul for power. I think if Draenei would go for it, High Elves could too.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

Draenei can be physically altered if they use fel energy.

High Elves would have good reason to become a demon hunter, but that would take an obsession with vengeance and atonement for what was done to their race. Most of the elves who felt that way chose to become blood elves. There will be thousands of high elves raised as undead, some of them deathknights.
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

10+ Year Old Account
    Draenei (playable) race/faction description:
    The draenei are a faction of uncorrupted eredar
    Modern day High elves are the same, they are uncorrupted elves.

From WC III:
    They (demon hunters) wield demonically charged warblades in battle and even call upon demonic energies to augment their formidable combat skills
    Races/factions who against using demon energy (like warlocks do) would not be demon hunters.

High elves are against using demon energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why does everyone all of a sudden want high elves as a playable race? They are literally the EXACT SAME AS BLOOD ELVES. (well looks wise!) and everybody makes fun of blood elves.

Draenei (playable) race/faction description:
    Modern day High elves are the same, they are uncorrupted elves.

From WC III:

Races/factions who against using demon energy (like warlocks do) would not be demon hunters.

High elves are against using demon energy.
    Quite wrong, actually. Night Elves are zealously against all things demonic, they are xenophobic fanatics and would have killed a warlock on sight before WC3.
    The whole point of a demon hunter is someone who embraces the most terrible thing you can imagine in order to fight fire with fire.

Night Elves are more against demonic energy than high elves ever were, and yet demon hunters are all night elves for the most part.

Draenei have the problem of succumbing to the corruption however I believe and being transformed by it, so they probably wouldn't do it without some developing in the lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Flalia4 View Post
    Why does everyone all of a sudden want high elves as a playable race? They are literally the EXACT SAME AS BLOOD ELVES. (well looks wise!) and everybody makes fun of blood elves.
    Exactly, they're pretty much the same now. There was a lore panel a while back saying even High elves have green eyes now because of the permeation on demonic energies into their lands. There is no discernable difference at this point.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

If High elves were ever made, the ideal thing would be a new model with blue eyes. I think they should only be an option if Blizzard creates added choices with the model updates.

Most people want them for the Alliance because they are an iconic part of the original Alliance of Warcraft, and people miss the classic fleet footed blue and gold high elves of yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    If High elves were ever made, the ideal thing would be a new model with blue eyes. I think they should only be an option if Blizzard creates added choices with the model updates.

Most people want them for the Alliance because they are an iconic part of the original Alliance of Warcraft, and people miss the classic fleet footed blue and gold high elves of yesterday.
    But look at how blood elves were/are viewed. They are always made fun of for being sissy or *insert slur here* I find it hard to believe that would change just because they basically put blood elves on the alliance side but with like blue eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    Regardless if helves ever get playable; lets entertain the possibility. let's tinhat!

I'd say, yes. Demon hunters follow the same basic belief than warlocks: You have to fight fire with fire. Use your enemies power against them. It's about sacrificing your own morality for the "greater good". Since there's high elven warlocks, particularly a trainer in Dalaran, I'd say it's quite plausible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    Quite wrong, actually. Night Elves are zealously against all things demonic, they are xenophobic fanatics and would have killed a warlock on sight before WC3.
    The whole point of a demon hunter is someone who embraces the most terrible thing you can imagine in order to fight fire with fire.

Night Elves are more against demonic energy than high elves ever were, and yet demon hunters are all night elves for the most part.

Draenei have the problem of succumbing to the corruption however I believe and being transformed by it, so they probably wouldn't do it without some developing in the lore.
    Night elves are flip floppers. They hated the Highborne because they are the ones w/ Azshara started the War of the Ancients yet
    in Cata, they welcomed them back in Night Elf society.
    So like I said in a previous post, Night elves would view Nelf demon hunters like
    Thrall's Orcs view Orc Warlocks. Thrall's Horde hates warlocks cause they are the ones who caused
    the demon corruption of the orcs yet they train warlocks who use their skills to fight the legion.
    Night elf demon hunters would be viewed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Regardless if helves ever get playable; lets entertain the possibility. let's tinhat!

I'd say, yes. Demon hunters follow the same basic belief than warlocks: You have to fight fire with fire. Use your enemies power against them. It's about sacrificing your own morality for the "greater good". Since there's high elven warlocks, particularly a trainer in Dalaran, I'd say it's quite plausible.
    "The arcane only corrupts the weak."

10+ Year Old Account
    No a High - elf would not be a demon hunter.
    From lore taken from Illidan, being a demon hunter
    requires you to embraces the demon energies.
    The goal of a demon hunter is to use the same
    demonic or fel energies of the burning legion
    against the burning legion. So demon hunters
    harness fel energy similarly how warlocks use
    demons to fight the legion. A high elf that
    harness demonic energy is ... A Blood Elf.
    It was Illidans teachings on how to use
    demonic energy that turned the blood elves'
    eyes green and helped their magical addiction.
    High elves would NEVER use demon energy.
    Using demon energy cause the high elf - Blood elf
    divide in the first place.

all these classes.

If demon hunters became a class, then you could play
    Ally - Human, dwarf, gnome, worgen, and Night elf of course.
    (side note: Night elf demon hunters would be accepted like Orc warlocks ie Not very well lore wise)
    Horde: Every horde race but Tauren (Orc, Troll, Forsaken, Belf, & Goblins)

Pandas would not be demon hunters either.
    So many nopes in this post! Basically, you are quite wrong.

Let's debunk this!

So, firstly: a high elf that consumes fel energy to satiate their thirst becomes a blood elf. That is true, if only technically they would gain green eyes, yes, but the differences between blood and high elves are also political. It would just make them a high elf with green eyes if he remains loyal to the alliance; (the blood elf moniker comes from the renaming Kael'thas did after the third war.) It won't automatically make them change factions.

Still, fel taint only happen when you consume fel magic to feed Demon hunters, nor warlocks, consume fel magic as blood elves do. They just use it. Would this still change their eye color? most likely. Could a simple spell be deviced to hide this fact? there are flying cities in this world.

Oh, and high elves already can become warlocks according to the game, just talk to the warlock trainer in Dalaran.

And what up with Rogues and Death Knights?? There's also several helven rogues in game (why would they be against stealth anyway??) and about death knights it only takes the same moral dilemma that separated blood elves into high elves in the first place.

These are facts.

High elves don't have pros (you could even paint kaldorei heritage as a pro) or cons to become Demon Hunters, who are supposed to be a fringe society . They are in equal ground to any other race that could become Demon Hunters.

---------- Post added 2013-01-12 at 07:39 AM ----------

Night elves are flip floppers. They hated the Highborne because they are the ones w/ Azshara started the War of the Ancients yet
    in Cata, they welcomed them back in Night Elf society.
    So like I said in a previous post, Night elves would view Nelf demon hunters like
    Thrall's Orcs view Orc Warlocks. Thrall's Horde hates warlocks cause they are the ones who caused
    the demon corruption of the orcs yet they train warlocks who use their skills to fight the legion.
    Night elf demon hunters would be viewed the same.
    Nelves are not "flip-floppers", it was a calculated compromise to bloster their forces. They have worked several years now with races that use the arcane without flipping their shit, maybe their understand that it can be used relatively safely (not that it matters, everybody knows that the legion has it's eyes on azeroth). Do not mistake strategy with loose morals.

high elves have none of the prejudice for the arcane night elves have, in fact, they glorify it. High elves already have warlocks, why would they be more against demon hunters than night elves? It doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Flalia4 View Post
    But look at how blood elves were/are viewed. They are always made fun of for being sissy or *insert slur here* I find it hard to believe that would change just because they basically put blood elves on the alliance side but with like blue eyes.
    Dude, the community mocks and makes fun of every race for one reason or another, it's just silly the way people come into this community now and "learn" to hate certain races. Every race in this game is fucking bad ass, stereotypes are stereotypes. WOW is made up of 2 worlds, the serious world of the cinematics and the concept art and the history and the lore, and then there is a 4th wall breaking aspect to it that is anachronistic and made up of classic tropes and spoofs where the character models are realized in silly and goofy ways that make them look like Disney cartoons.

They both exist overlapping each other, but they are also distinct.

You really need to ignore what the community thinks of a race when it comes to judging stuff like this. It's a joke that went too far.