Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Its absolutely rediculous and is totally not true, but its still interesting. /tinfoilhat
    The problem when you post nonsense like this, is that some people will take it seriously, and a few will actually start to believe it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    The problem when you post nonsense like this, is that some people will take it seriously, and a few will actually start to believe it.
    Nothing really surprises me anymore on what people believe. Hell I've recently just found out that some believe that all government is ran by shape shifting reptiles. The Reptilian Elite. Never laughed so hard before that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Well anyone who actually believes this is an idiot and the fault lies entirely with them. This is all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
     Mars used to have water, magnetic field, tectonic activity, carbonate rocks, possibly life, and pyramids in the same formation as Egypt and Mexico, JUST LIKE EARTH! Mars also shows signs of a major impact which could explain why it is smaller than Earth.
    That caught my eye right away, if scientists found something like that, I'm pretty sure I would've heard about it by now.

"I believe that an impact to Earth will at the same time transform Venus into a life sustaining planet"

How would that work? Sounds like it'd just annihilate both planets if they collided. Some of the compounds might still be there I guess, but it's not as simple as having the right ingredients, the planet has to be in the right place for the right temperatures and whatnot. If all we needed were the building blocks we'd have colonized the galaxy by now.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-01-13 at 09:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    i thought ancient alien theorists were nutz.

total load of horse crap.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's coming from GLP though, a forum-driven site which is filled with all colours of conspiracy theorists, charlatans, pseudo-scientists and end-time adventists. Any hobby astronomer can turn his theory upside down but you won't find them on that site. I won't get into his theory, it's rife with religious and anti-scientific bias ignoring facts and findings of the past and present times. It's not the most bizarre theory originating from that site though and that alone tells something.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty neat idea. But I agree with your last sentence. Anyone else suddenly have the urge to watch the original total recall?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    It's coming from GLP though, a forum-driven site which is filled with all colours of conspiracy theorists, charlatans, pseudo-scientists and end-time adventists. Any hobby astronomer can turn his theory upside down but you won't find them on that site. I won't get into his theory, it's rife with religious and anti-scientific bias ignoring facts and findings of the past and present times. It's not the most bizarre theory originating from that site though and that alone tells something.
    This.

Practically everything on GLP is people hoping and trying to prove (yet always failing) the world is more interesting than it actually is. I once spent a whole evening reading the tinfoil hat conspiracy theories on that site, and pretty much all of them are hilarious at best. This is no different.

nice plot for a sci-fi movie from the OP, but that's about it
    the OP didn't mention a lot of proven facts we know :
    * Venus is to close to the sun, to be happitable now or in the future, the only way venus would be happitable (or terraformable) would be if it was a lot farther away from the sun
    * and its not only the heat from the sun that poses a problem, but also the cosmic rays from the sun, you can not forget that the sun is basicly nothing more then a giant size natural fusion reactor
    * the size of mars has nothing to do with his moons, but with the forming of planets when the solarsystem came into existence, mars was too far away from the planetary nebular to gather more dust to form its planet
    * the moons of mars (at least on of them) is pretty proven to be an asteroid that was caught in the gravity of mars and not formed in the begiining, for the same thing the moon of earth wasn't created in the beginning but was the result of the colission of two planets : earth + another planet of about mars size (look for theia to read more about it)
    * an impact that would move earth into venus would need an object of about earths size and there are not much objects in our solarsystem to even come close to it; only another planet and all of the solarsystems are in a stable orbit
    Last edited by Lierial; 2013-01-13 at 11:19 AM.

This is utterly fucking ridiculous, and even raises questions that have already been answered by science. It's also funny how "rock" is an element. Was this made by a preschooler, or what?

Interesting source.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Not at all interesting and held togheter by duct tape and chewing gum.

Having studied geology (altought I ended up being a teacher) I can tell you that there are a whole series of issues with this. The exchange and loss of mass of planets does not work like that.

As when it comes to the gas giants. Iron as an element cannot turn into hydrogen which is the primary element of all gas giants. Further more they all have a lot more mass then Earth somewhere betwen 14 to 300 somethings times the mass of Earth. When something explodes it loses mass. Doesn't gain any. The rings can all be explained by the mass of the said gas giants. Thanks to their mass they have a strong gravitational pull thus they capture space junk. Asteroids, gas, ice, left overs of the formation of the solar system. Or sometimes even small planets. Thats how the rings formed and also the countless moons they have orbiting them.

Additionally, Venus doesn't have a magnetic field and no carbon cycle thus it is unable to regulate it's greenhouse effects. Add to that the fact that large parts of the atmosphere are actually composed of Sulfuric Acid and the planet is bombarded by solar winds and radiation with nothing to shield it, and not having much of any hydrogen in its atmosphere you will never see any carbon based lifeforms on it.

Now at the Ankh part...seriously?

Alas...Reality is much more interesting and mind blowing than tin foil hat bullshit.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-01-13 at 11:51 AM.

This is a cool theory and it does make sense but if i remember correctly we can't go to venus cause of the acid rain.

How can Venus become Earth? Its way to hot and when the Sun becomes to cool it will "eat" Venus....

Deleted
    Another crackpot theory with nothing to back it up. Sun is getting warmer, not colder, so if anything Venus will heat up even more. Also Earth wont become Mars either unless humans do something to it. It's only going to get warmer here too.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    This is a cool theory and it does make sense but if i remember correctly we can't go to venus cause of the acid rain.
    It's in the same boat like the Hollow or Flat Earth theory to me.

Venus' atmospheric temperature at surface is over 460°C and its atmospheric pressure there about 9.12 MPa which is about 92 times higher than on Earth and yes, we would have rains of sulfuric acid with lava coming from highly active volcanoes flowing through your backyard and although Venus has a sun-induced magnetosphere it is less than 0.1% of Earth's in strength. We would have summer days of apocalyptic proportions. Which makes it a very hostile environment for humans at least. If humans ever landed there you'd need special equipment and artificial environment and constant material maintenance for stationary equipment. We haven't got to the point to launch a Venus probe yet which would last long enough on the ground even though there are plans and ideas. The only place where you could theoretically colonize on Venus would be if you placed floating airships about 50-65km due to atmospheric conditions supposedly being similar to Earth in these regions but that's far away from a realistic or even feasible scenario on a large scale. Suffice to say with the planetary conditions in mind it's nowhere close to evolving into something Earth-like.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

So the sun is getting smaller or weaker? Because if it isn't - Venus will never be like Earth.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow. So what amazed me more than reading this complete load of utterly useless bullshit, was the amount of comments where people actually sounded like they believed it and said it was "interesting." There is not even one ounce of truth in this. Why would you post something so fucking idiotic?

Everyone posting in this thread saying "interesting theory" and "this makes sense" and "great sci-fi plot" should not consider reproduction an option.

The sun gets larger and stronger. Mercury, Venus, and Earth are all going to gradually become less inhabitable while Mars will actually become more so as it heats up....infact I'm pretty certain I read that at least Mercury and Venus will be totally engulfed by the Sun at it's largest point before it collapses and becomes a white dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    So the sun is getting smaller or weaker? Because if it isn't - Venus will never be like Earth.
    I mean I guess it could develop some immense atmosphere to shield it from the sun at its distance - but there are so many perfections (perfect situations) that make earth the way it is, it's hard for me to imagine that venus is next without major changes to the sun.

Ah hell i didn't mean to reply to my own post i meant to edit it...
    /Sorry
    Last edited by slime; 2013-01-13 at 04:55 PM.