Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Perma ban on WOW Forums.. was it justified?

So, just logged on to the forums to make a LF guild thread in the looking for players pve section. Only, when I go to make the thread, it is greyed out with the reasoning 'Account Banned'. Upon further investigation, I find I was banned for quoting what someone else had said on my own realm forums. The post was about posting on the AH and then spamming trade, to get someone to buy your item. There was about 5 posts of 'Great Technique, trying it later.' I quoted this, not meaning anything by it, just as a joke. I have never been banned from the forums before in a few years of playing. I don't use the forums that much either - just when I need a laugh. Was this perma ban really justified? The GM classified it as 'trolling'. Should I try to appeal this? Considering a clean track record and everything, my personal stance atm is that it isn't a fair ban IMO.

Yes, this is a QQ post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the ridiculously overzealous WoW forums. I got a month ban for saying 'Fuck'. Wasn't even in an aggressive context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

10+ Year Old Account
    The WoW boards are full of people quoting the same thing over and over and over; why, I do not understand. It's mega-annoying and makes the thread look like shit. The permaban wasn't justified for that alone, but they usually don't permaban straight off in the majority of cases either, so I feel there is something you've missed out of your OP there.

The moderation on the WoW boards is really getting terrible. I stopped posting there years ago and going back to check a thread for some info feels like rubbing my eyeballs with sand. The day I got a 3 day ban for saying an idea was "stupid" was the day I said "well %$^ this then" and left.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-01-13 at 03:27 PM.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

10+ Year Old Account
    "joking" and "trolling" comes with a very fine line, it is very to say it is either.

Only use the forum for constructive feedbacks, if you post doesn't add value, don't post it.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    The WoW boards are full of people quoting the same thing over and over and over, why I do not understand. It's mega-annoying and makes the thread look like shit. The permaban wasn't justified for that alone, but they usually don't permaban straight off in the majority of cases either, so I feel there is something you've missed out of your OP there.
    Haven't really missed anything out. Maybe the fact that the post was that the OP of that thread was complaining they had been scammed. I was only joking around, maybe a GM took it as I actually intended to scam someone. Even though it isn't scamming. :l.

edit, going to post a ticket and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Saintbernard; 2013-01-13 at 03:28 PM. Reason: edit, going to post a ticket and see how it goes.

Yeah, sounds like bullshit but the Nazi Mods there dgaf and will basically ban you on a whim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saintbernard View Post
    Haven't really missed anything out. Maybe the fact that the post was that the OP of that thread was complaining they had been scammed. I was only joking around, maybe a GM took it as I actually intended to scam someone. Even though it isn't scamming. :l.

edit, going to post a ticket and see how it goes.
    Sorry for suggesting you've left something out of you haven't then. Seems moderation over there is really much worse than when I suffered at the hands of over zealous mods.
    My Brand!

So, just logged on to the forums to make a LF guild thread in the looking for players pve section. Only, when I go to make the thread, it is greyed out with the reasoning 'Account Banned'. Upon further investigation, I find I was banned for quoting what someone else had said on my own realm forums. The post was about posting on the AH and then spamming trade, to get someone to buy your item. There was about 5 posts of 'Great Technique, trying it later.' I quoted this, not meaning anything by it, just as a joke. I have never been banned from the forums before in a few years of playing. I don't use the forums that much either - just when I need a laugh. Was this perma ban really justified? The GM classified it as 'trolling'. Should I try to appeal this? Considering a clean track record and everything, my personal stance atm is that it isn't a fair ban IMO.

Yes, this is a QQ post.
    If you mean posting an item on the AH then getting on an alt and saying you want to buy said item, when you actually don't, then yes that is indeed a scam. Your ban was justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurust View Post
    I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathane View Post
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meatboll View Post
    If you mean posting an item on the AH then getting on an alt and saying you want to buy said item, when you actually don't, then yes that is indeed a scam. Your ban was justified.
    You've make a bit of a leap in assuming it was indeed that, an another in assuming he was the one suggesting it in the first place. Then you, in my opinion, have made an error in saying a permaban was justified for what he's actually done.
    My Brand!

@Theodon, NP, I wasn't very clear to begin with.
    @Meatboll, Yes, that is what I mean, and no, it is not a scam. Indeed, as I have read here before, if you intend to scam by buying lower and selling higher in this manner, then YOU are scamming, not the seller. And besides, as theo has said, I wasn't the one doing it.
    Last edited by Saintbernard; 2013-01-13 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

You've make a bit of a leap in assuming it was indeed that, an another in assuming he was the one suggesting it in the first place. Then you, in my opinion, have made an error in saying a permaban was justified for what he's actually done.
    So if he was banned for quoting profanity and racial slurs instead it would be ok because it was someone else who said it first?
    I mean you have all the trademarks of one childish, ignorant, irresponsible, retarded.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can appeal, but nothing will happen. The wow forums are garbage, they have the worst moderators I have ever seen on a forum.

@Theodon, NP, I wasn't very clear to begin with.
    @Meatboll, Yes, that is what I mean, and no, it is not a scam. Indeed, as I have read here before, if you intent to scam by buying lower and selling higher in this manner, then YOU are scamming, not the seller. And besides, as theo has said, I wasn't the one doing it.
    It is a scam.
    You are selling an item, you are deceiving someone into buying the item when you don't actually want it.
    If it wasn't a scam you would not have been banned for it.

It is a scam.
    You are selling an item, you are deceiving someone into buying the item when you don't actually want it.
    If it wasn't a scam you would not have been banned for it.
    You really don't seem to be understand the main purpose of the thread. I was joking in a thread on my realm forums, the OP of that thread had wrote a gigantic wall of rage text, it was hard not to laugh at him. And I have already justified why this is not a scam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without seeing the thread really it would be hard to say if it was justified or not - but from what you put OP that would perhaps class as "spamming" or "trolling" depending on which way the CS team see it, and on the penalty volcano I can't see that being worthy of permanent removal of posting privileges.

Just bear in mind though I have read from a blue post that the moderation on the forum is intended to be stricter and that is possibly why they have issued that penalty.

Ticket and appeal it and ask for an explanation (as you are already doing).

On a final note just bear in mind that the forums are a privilege not a right so be quite careful what you are posting is constructive and relevant or risk losing that privilege.

Hunter| Warlock | Shaman | Paladin
    "In the light.. We are one"

Sadly the original post has been buried on my own forums, (along with my post deleted) so I'll post whatever response I hopefully get from the CS.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if he was banned for quoting profanity and racial slurs instead it would be ok because it was someone else who said it first?
    You don't understand or haven't read the OP. What he is doing isn't a scam, and the example you've given is just full on hyperbole and I'm not even going to respond to it.
    My Brand!

Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    Welcome to the ridiculously overzealous WoW forums. I got a month ban for saying 'Fuck'. Wasn't even in an aggressive context.
    Sounds like another forum we all visit...

It sucks OP, they love to ban for anything on the blizz forums. I got banned for 5 days for telling a guy that he did not have the required DPS to do MP10 so his input on it was invalid. Banned for harassment lol.

Deleted
    The permaban wasn't justified for that alone, but they usually don't permaban straight off in the majority of cases either, so I feel there is something you've missed out of your OP there.
    I feel the same - it smells very fishy cause u dont get a permban if u have a "clean" record...

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    I feel the same - it smells very fishy cause u dont get a permban if u have a "clean" record...
    Honestly, I barely post on there, I believe I have 20 posts or something on my main character, over about 3 years. Maybe 5 or so on a alt..